1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Q120

When looking at the magic Item:
    Periapt of Wound Closure

It states:
    While you wear this pendant, you stabilize whenever you are dying at the start of Your Turn. In addition, whenever you roll a Hit Die to regain hit points, double the number of hit points it restores.

Would this also count when Rolling Hit Die as you level?

2. - Top - End - #272

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyninja View Post
    Q120

When looking at the magic Item:
    Periapt of Wound Closure

It states:
    While you wear this pendant, you stabilize whenever you are dying at the start of Your Turn. In addition, whenever you roll a Hit Die to regain hit points, double the number of hit points it restores.

Would this also count when Rolling Hit Die as you level?
    A120: No. You are not rolling to REGAIN hitpoints. You are rolling to determine your new hit point maximum. You are not restoring hitpoints, even if you are not at your hit point max when you roll for new hit points at a level up.
    My Philosophies:
    Encounter Design Philosophy
    Enemy Design Philosophy
    My Incomplete Complete 5e Character Creation Rework

Please leave feedback or PM with thoughts. I'm always trying to refine my approach.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Q121

A ghost has possessed a raging barbarian. If the ghost attacks an enemy each turn, does it retain access to- and benefits from Rage, or did Rage disappear/end once possession happened?
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-03-13 at 03:40 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 122

Is there any general rule preventing a non-spellcaster to use a magic item that can cast spell (beside scrolls) ? Like, for instance, can a Battlemaster attune and cast the spell of the Spider Staff in LMoP?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

5. - Top - End - #275

PaladinGuy

Q123 Does resistance stack with other means of damage reduction? Specific example: does Barbarian rage damage resistance stack with Rogue's Uncanny Dodge, resulting in 1/4 damage?

6. - Top - End - #276

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Q 122

Is there any general rule preventing a non-spellcaster to use a magic item that can cast spell (beside scrolls) ? Like, for instance, can a Battlemaster attune and cast the spell of the Spider Staff in LMoP?
    A122: There is no blanket rule. The requirements for using a magic item are included in a specific item's description. If the Spider Staff does not require a specific class or the spellcasting feature then there is nothing preventing a Battlemaster from using it.

7. - Top - End - #277

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    Q121

A ghost has possessed a raging barbarian. If the ghost attacks an enemy each turn, does it retain access to- and benefits from Rage, or did Rage disappear/end once possession happened?
    A121: The ghost ability 'possession' causes the creature to be incapacitated, thus cannot take actions or reactions. The rage is maintained if the barbarian gets attacked - meaning that the barbarian would get the damage reduction.

Possession states that the ghost cannot use class abilities - it does not gain the benefits of the rage while controlling the barbarian.

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q123 Does resistance stack with other means of damage reduction? Specific example: does Barbarian rage damage resistance stack with Rogue's Uncanny Dodge, resulting in 1/4 damage?
    A123: it does not stack. Resistance from any source does not stack with other resistances. Pg. 96 (or 97?) in the SRD.

Strangely, Resistance and vulnerability stack (Because a strict reading of the rules do not say otherwise), leading to a possible rounding of 1 damage in favor of the attacker: apply resistance and then apply vulnerability.

EDIT: the fun rounding extra damage works like this: take 3 damage! resistance halves it to 1.5, rounding up to 2. Vulnerability doubles it to 4! The PHB says apply resistance and then vulnerability.
    Last edited by gfishfunk; 2017-03-13 at 04:40 PM.
    My Philosophies:
    Enemy Design Philosophy

Please leave feedback or PM with thoughts. I'm always trying to refine my approach.

8. - Top - End - #278

PaladinGuy

A123: it does not stack. Resistance from any source does not stack with other resistances. Pg. 96 (or 97?) in the SRD.

Strangely, Resistance and vulnerability stack (Because a strict reading of the rules do not say otherwise), leading to a possible rounding of 1 damage in favor of the attacker: apply resistance and then apply vulnerability.

EDIT: the fun rounding extra damage works like this: take 3 damage! resistance halves it to 1.5, rounding up to 2. Vulnerability doubles it to 4! Or, apply the vulnerability, up to 6! Apply resistance down to 3. DM's discretion, I guess, but that was not your original question...
    Even if Uncanny Dodge simply says "you take half damage" rather than "you have resistance"?
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2017-03-13 at 04:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by gfishfunk View Post

EDIT: the fun rounding extra damage works like this: take 3 damage! resistance halves it to 1.5, rounding up to 2. Vulnerability doubles it to 4! The PHB says apply resistance and then vulnerability.
    Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Even if Uncanny Dodge is not explicitly called a resistance?
    R123: My mistake - I answered whether resistance applies twice. It doesn't.

Uncanny dodge and resistance stacks, however. Uncanny Dodge is not a resistance - it just looks like it. The description of resistance in the PHB says apply resistance and then vulnerability after all other modifiers.

Take 15 damage. So, half the damage through uncanny dodge (which is NOT a resistance) to 7.5 rounding to 8, and then half the damage through resistance, to 4. And then (in the rare event of applicability), apply vulnerability to 8.

While it IS RAW, it might change at your table due to DM interpretation.
    Last edited by gfishfunk; 2017-03-13 at 04:46 PM.
    My Philosophies:
    Enemy Design Philosophy

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by gfishfunk View Post
    R123: My mistake - I answered whether resistance applies twice. It doesn't.

Uncanny dodge and resistance stacks, however. Uncanny Dodge is not a resistance - it just looks like it. The description of resistance in the PHB says apply resistance and then vulnerability after all other modifiers.

Take 15 damage. So, half the damage through uncanny dodge (which is NOT a resistance) to 7.5 rounding to 8, and then half the damage through resistance, to 4. And then (in the rare event of applicability), apply vulnerability to 8.

While it IS RAW, it might change at your table due to DM interpretation.
    This is all good, but the rounding is technically down, not up.

So 15 damage becomes 7.5, which goes to 7; then that gets halved again to 3.5 with rounds to 3.

If also vulnerable, that then returns to 6.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Pixie in the Playground

Q118
    Are stairs difficult terrain?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Wizard View Post
    Q118
    Are stairs difficult terrain?
    A118 That's up to DM decision, although it is mentioned in the phb under "Difficult Terrain" on page 190: "Low furniture, rubble, undergrowth, steep stairs, snow, and shallow bogs are examples of difficult terrain...".

So while it is up to the DM, it's probably difficult terrain.
    Last edited by Arenabait; 2017-03-16 at 10:00 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q119 Do sorcerers have all of their known spells prepared at all times?
    Thanks to the amazing forums here on GITP I, as a new player to tabletop games in general, am slowly expanding my knowledge on how to be a better player and DM by reading various questions and answers. If you're reading this, thank you for taking place in this wonderful community.

14. - Top - End - #284

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by pangoo209 View Post
    Q119 Do sorcerers have all of their known spells prepared at all times?
    Essentially yes. Sorcerers are able to cast any spell they know as long as they have a slot of an appropriate level available. They do not prepare spells in any way. Spells known is the system they use in place of preparation.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2017-03-14 at 08:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Q117 - Life domain Cleric feature "Disciple of Life" and the spell "Regenerate"

If a Life Domain cleric casts Regenerate, will the bonus healing from Disciple of Life affect the initial healing of the spell only, or does it also buff the ongoing healing?

16. - Top - End - #286

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Squibsallotl View Post
    Q117 - Life domain Cleric feature "Disciple of Life" and the spell "Regenerate"

If a Life Domain cleric casts Regenerate, will the bonus healing from Disciple of Life affect the initial healing of the spell only, or does it also buff the ongoing healing?
    Frankly I don't think there's a strict RAW answer to this. It depends how you choose to interpret the placement of "use" in the Disciple of Life description. Should you consider that the Cleric is using Regenerate to restore points every time the spell triggers or only actively as a part of the initial casting? Unless someone else has a clear interpretation of RAW that I've missed it probably warrants its own thread.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2017-03-14 at 09:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Frankly I don't think there's a strict RAW answer to this. It depends how you choose to interpret the placement of "use" in the Disciple of Life description. Should you consider that the Cleric is using Regenerate to restore points every time the spell triggers or only actively as a part of the initial casting? Unless someone else has a clear interpretation of RAW that I've missed it probably warrants its own thread.
    An interesting ruling was made by Sage Advice, regarding Goodberry with Disciple of Life:
    http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage...rs-august-2015

Seems each berry would restore 4hp for a Life Cleric with access to the spell, which seems to support the idea that Disciple of Life will trigger whenever one of your spells actually restores hitpoints.
    Last edited by Squibsallotl; 2017-03-14 at 10:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

Goblin

An interesting ruling was made by Sage Advice, regarding Goodberry with Disciple of Life:
    http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage...rs-august-2015

Seems each berry would restore 4hp for a Life Cleric with access to the spell, which seems to support the idea that Disciple of Life will trigger whenever one of your spells actually restores hitpoints.
    Sure, but any extrapolation from that (frankly pretty controversial) ruling is going to be our interpretation, which isn't exactly RAW. The RAW answer is "Ask your DM."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

A 117 My interpretation of the RAW is it happens whenever the cleric takes some action that causes healing from one of his spells. With Regeneration it happens when he casts the spell and only then. After that, the spell is acting completely on it's own.

From the ability (emphasis mine):
    Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature...
    Generally that's upon casting the spell. With Gooberry, I treat it as the goodberry does the extra healing if the cleric uses an action and administers a gooberry himself. When you create the goodberries, you still haven't used a spell to heal anyone yet. If you give the goodberries to someone else THEY are using your spell to heal someone.

But I agree there is some interpretation here and that's simply my own interpretation of it.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-03-15 at 08:22 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

20. - Top - End - #290

PirateCaptain

Q120

If I wanted to have a black dragon try to pick up a humanoid in two claws and then dunk them in a giant pile of knives, what would that be roll-wise? Opposed Strength ability checks to see if they get picked up, then have the PC make a Constitution saving throw to see if they get extra hurt by all the knives they just got shoved into?
    Last edited by DragonBaneDM; 2017-03-15 at 12:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Anyone can hold and attack with two one-handed weapons if they have enough attacks to make (Extra Attack) in a turn. They don't have to be light in that case.
    Needing to have Extra Attack is a pretty big constraint.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    If Dual Wielder allows it for non-light weapons, Crossbow Expert could as well allow this with hand crossbow.
    Dual Wielder still restricts you to melee weapons, albeit non-light ones, as you say.

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBaneDM View Post
    Q120

If I wanted to have a black dragon try to pick up a humanoid in two claws and then dunk them in a giant pile of knives, what would that be roll-wise? Opposed Strength ability checks to see if they get picked up, then have the PC make a Constitution saving throw to see if they get extra hurt by all the knives they just got shoved into?
    A120: Start with the dragon initiating a grapple (per usual rules). If the dragon succeeds have it move to the pile of knives (1/2 speed due to grappling). On the following round have the dragons action effectively be using the PC to attack the pile of knives, decide a fair damage (say 10d4) and give the PC a Dex save for half.

Naturally towards the end here you are heading away from RAW a little; but suffice to say this is an easy and quick way to resolve the action while giving the PC 2 attempts to escape (initial, then again on his turn) AND a save to take less damage. Win-win in my book.

23. - Top - End - #293

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonBaneDM View Post
    Q120

A120: Start with the dragon initiating a grapple (per usual rules). If the dragon succeeds have it move to the pile of knives (1/2 speed due to grappling). On the following round have the dragons action effectively be using the PC to attack the pile of knives, decide a fair damage (say 10d4) and give the PC a Dex save for half.

Naturally towards the end here you are heading away from RAW a little; but suffice to say this is an easy and quick way to resolve the action while giving the PC 2 attempts to escape (initial, then again on his turn) AND a save to take less damage. Win-win in my book.
    A120, cont'd: As you said, this is not a RAW answer, so I won't address the "using the PC to attack the knives" bit, but I would like to point out that the dragon's speed would only be halved if it were two (or fewer) size categories larger than the PC. Assuming no temporary size adjustments, that means a Black Dragon Wyrmling would be slowed, and a Young Black Dragon would be slowed if the PC were size Small. Otherwise, the dragon's speed is unaffected.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal
    Current PbP Game: 5th Edition low-level game IC OOC Tracker Map
    Current PbP Game: I6 - Ravenloft IC OOC

Full Signature
    I often post from mobile, so feel free to correct any typos.

24. - Top - End - #294

Q121 If i have Find Familiar, can it affect me with the Warding Bond spell if i cast it through it as me as the target?

Find Familiar spell detail:

Finally, when you Cast a Spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an Attack roll, you use your Attack modifier for the roll.

In the end, its cast as if the Familiar has casted it, so would i be affected by the +1 AC and the resistance to damage? (I understand that it means that the familiar will be the one taking half the damage, so basically making it die as soon as i get hit)

Also how would the Sanctuary spell would if i cast a Touch spell through it to do damage, in the end, as the spell points out above, its as if the familiar has casted it, so... would the Sanctuary banish if i cast any harmful spell through my familiar?
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-03-16 at 03:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A121

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Q121 If i have Find Familiar, can it affect me with the Warding Bond spell if i cast it through it as me as the target?

Find Familiar spell detail:

Finally, when you Cast a Spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an Attack roll, you use your Attack modifier for the roll.

In the end, its cast as if the Familiar has casted it, so would i be affected by the +1 AC and the resistance to damage? (I understand that it means that the familiar will be the one taking half the damage, so basically making it die as soon as i get hit)
    The Warding Bond would indeed originate from the Familiar and provide you the bonus AC and damage resistance. Note however that the familiar doesn't take half the damage that goes through, it shares all the damage with you. E.g. If an enemy attack would have dealt 10 damage to you, it gets halved by the resistance to 5 damage, and both you and your familiar take 5 damage each.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Also how would the Sanctuary spell would if i cast a Touch spell through it to do damage, in the end, as the spell points out above, its as if the familiar has casted it, so... would the Sanctuary banish if i cast any harmful spell through my familiar?
    By a strict reading of RAW, I would say that your Touch spells delivered via the Familiar do not break Sanctuary. This is clearly against RAI for the spell though, as Jeremy Crawford points out in a similar ruling on sage advice:
    http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/05/...ge-to-enemies/

26. - Top - End - #296

Goblin

By a strict reading of RAW, I would say that your Touch spells delivered via the Familiar do not break Sanctuary. This is clearly against RAI for the spell though, as Jeremy Crawford points out in a similar ruling on sage advice:
    http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/05/...ge-to-enemies/
    I'd disagree with this part. The text of Sanctuary makes it clear that CASTING a harmful spell is what ends the effect. The familiar may DELIVER the spell as though it had cast it but you are still the one who actually cast the harmful spell. By RAW the Sanctuary spell ends when you cast a harmful spell through your familiar.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    I'd disagree with this part. The text of Sanctuary makes it clear that CASTING a harmful spell is what ends the effect. The familiar may DELIVER the spell as though it had cast it but you are still the one who actually cast the harmful spell. By RAW the Sanctuary spell ends when you cast a harmful spell through your familiar.
    A reasonable (and probably ultimately correct) interpretation. Depends on how literally you take the phrase "as if it had cast the spell".

28. - Top - End - #298

Q122, Does the Warlock ability "Soul of the Raven", makes me invulnerable while i'm on that form? having in mind it says:

"You gain the benefits of your raven being perched on your shoulder"

and the "Sentinel Raven" ability says that:

While the raven is perched on your shoulder,
    you gain darkvision with a range of 30 feet and a
    bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception)
    score and to Wisdom (Perception) checks. The
    bonus equals your Charisma modifier. While
    perched on your shoulder, the raven can’t be
    targeted by any attack or other harmful effect;
    only you can cast spells on it; it can’t take
    damage;
    and it is incapacitated.

Also thakns @Squibsallotl for your time, and i agree with @Flashy
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-03-17 at 12:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q123
    With an ability like the Mystic's Nomadic Step, can you teleport straight up into the air? And, if you have an X fly speed can you fly X amount afterwards?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q124
    RAW, how do you calculate the weight of beasts? Specifically a brown bear.