New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

A 124 There's no RAW on that. It's up to DM discretion.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

A124b This seems like a time when you should just use irl stats, really. You can google it real quick for any beasts you want, beasts are almost all real animals.

3. - Top - End - #303

Can someone cast Warding Bond spell with Twinned Spell metamagic, and affect a second target?
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2017-03-18 at 03:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Q122, Does the Warlock ability "Soul of the Raven", makes me invulnerable while i'm on that form? having in mind it says:

"You gain the benefits of your raven being perched on your shoulder"

and the "Sentinel Raven" ability says that:

While the raven is perched on your shoulder,
    you gain darkvision with a range of 30 feet and a
    bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception)
    score and to Wisdom (Perception) checks. The
    bonus equals your Charisma modifier. While
    perched on your shoulder, the raven can’t be
    targeted by any attack or other harmful effect;
    only you can cast spells on it; it can’t take
    damage;
    and it is incapacitated.

Also thakns @Squibsallotl for your time, and i agree with @Flashy
    A122: I believe a more natural reading is that you gain the benefits you normally would gain from your raven being perched on your shoulder, not that you gain the benefits that the raven has while it's on your shoulder.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloure View Post
    Q 125 Can someone cast Warding Bond spell with Twinned Spell metamagic, and affect a second target?
    FTFY

A 125 Yes. It's single target. Sounds a little dangerous for the caster but sure.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-03-19 at 01:10 PM.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Puh Laden View Post
    A122: I believe a more natural reading is that you gain the benefits you normally would gain from your raven being perched on your shoulder, not that you gain the benefits that the raven has while it's on your shoulder.
    Ah, ok... i think, that explain a lot.

Note: I had to read you answer a couple of times cause i did not understand what you were saying

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q126 When I use a scroll, do I have to concentrate on it? (For the purposes of rage/concentration checks)

Q127 If I have haste cast on me, then I use Wind Step from the Mystic class, does haste double that movement? Also, if I use the dash action, does Wind Step also apply to the dash?
    Last edited by Pichu; 2017-03-20 at 10:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu View Post
    Q125 When I use a scroll, do I have to concentrate on it? (For the purposes of rage/concentration checks)
    Marcloure forgot to number his so this should be Q 126.

A 126 Yes. Any time a magic item lets you cast a spell, it's treated as you casting the spell in all respects. If it's concentration, you have to concentrate.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Fixed it for ya!
    Extended Signature

Co-Creator of the Fastest Character in 5e at Mach 3.175 (SR-71)!
    (Maybe 6.5 (X-15), or even 12.7 (1.33 saturn V's)! It's still debatable)

10. - Top - End - #310
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q128: How does a magical Handy Haversack change the mechanics of retrieving an item from your backpack? The SRD says "Retrieving an item from the haversack requires you to use an action. When you reach into the haversack for a specific item, the item is always magically on top." But how is this any different from normally retrieving an item?

Q129: How does the Use an Object action interact with retrieving such objects from a Handy Haversack? Do I need to use an action on one turn to retrieve an item (for example, a bag of caltrops) and then on a subsequent turn use the Use an Object action to spread the contents on the ground?

Q130: If I am a rogue of the Thief subclass with the Fast Hands feature, can I now use my action to retrieve something from a Handy Haversack and then use my Cunning Action to use the Use an Object action and use the retrieved item on the same turn?

*Edited for spelling mistakes*
    Last edited by Arastel; 2017-03-20 at 02:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311

Q131 How does a bugbears Long-Limbed feature interact with grappling?

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

A 131 Sadly, it doesn't. Strictly RAW (since this is the RAW thread) grapple ends if a creature somehow is no longer in your reach for whatever reason, usually because one or the other was moved. In this case, your reach is only +5 ft while attacking on your turn. If you use your reach to grapple something, the grapple then immediately ends.

That said, a DM might allow it if you immediately pull it closer to you or move it somewhere right away and then release it but that would not be strict RAW.

13. - Top - End - #313

annoyed Re: Simple RAW 3

Q132 Can an Artificer, by RAW, use a Giant Volture or Giant Eagle as its Mechanical Servant, and always have it on? (Imagine like a giant backpack with wings -Basically to reflavor it as a "exoskeleton"-), and by that i'm not saying that it will "cover" the character (Not like an armor) basically work like if the servant were carrying me, would that work?

Note: Simpler words, can i walk around with a Large robot Eagle/Volture strapped to my back (i understand that it may bring problems when going into some spaces -The creature on the back is Large, mainly thanks to the huge wings-)
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-03-23 at 03:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314

Q133 Can i use Nystul's Magic Aura to mask an Undead as Humanoid, having in mind that the spell says:

"You change the way the target appears to spells and magical effects that detect creature types, such as a paladin’s Divine Sense or the trigger of a symbol spell. You choose a creature type and other spells and magical effects treat the target as if it were a creature of that type or of that alignment."

To be able to use Magic Jar on that Undead creature (Magic Jar only works with Humanoids)?

Note: I actually found my answer (it doesn't work having in mind what points out the specific -Specific beats general-)
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-03-22 at 11:31 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q#134

Soul of the Raven:
    Whose stats do you use and what exact abilities do you get and not get from using it?

16. - Top - End - #316

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    Q#134

Soul of the Raven:
    Whose stats do you use and what exact abilities do you get and not get from using it?
    The MM Raven stats (i believe that the Raven stat is also on the PHB). -Keeping your character CHA, WIS and INT-

Note: Actually there is no mention of you changing your stat, so you are just going to be a really weird Raven.

The extras that you get when transformed into the Raven are:

*Darkvision 30 feet
    *Bonus to your passive Perception (WIS) -Bonus equal CHAR mod
    *Bonus to perception checks (WIS) -Bonus equal CHAR mod
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-03-22 at 02:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Q#135 Does the Rogue's Uncanny Dodge ability apply only to attacks, or to any source of damage that the rogue takes?

18. - Top - End - #318

PaladinGuy

A 135: "Starting at 5th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you." (from the SRD).

It applies only to attacks.

Also from the SRD, in case it's helpful: "If there’s ever any question whether something you’re doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you’re making an attack roll, you’re making an attack."
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2017-03-23 at 01:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319

Q136: As far as i know, you can Dual-wield Crossbow (yeah i'm going there) as long as you have the Crossbow expert feat, but you won't be able to reload them cause you need a free hand, but.... can someone who have a Familiar (or is a Warlock with the Raven Queen as her patron), make the familiar carry the Crossbow for you to reload them?

Note -Light Crossbow weight is 5 lb, and the quantity of pounds that a creature can carry is STR mod x 15, so that means that almost all familiars (to not say all) can carry a Light Crossbow (If they actually have the way to -Lets use a Octopus for this example-)

Also if possible can i get an answer for Q132 ?

20. - Top - End - #320
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Q137: Can a character with the disciple of life class feature (from the Life Cleric Domain) cast the spell goodberry (assume it was acquire though the Magic Initiate feat) using a 9th-level spell slot to produce 10 berries, each of which heals for 19 hp?

21. - Top - End - #321

Goblin

Also if possible can i get an answer for Q132 ?
    I guess I'll take a crack at it. The real question is what exactly you want to get out of this. Do you basically want a fly speed? That's not reeeeeeally in the RAW. Do you want to be hauled around by a giant eagle? Yeah, I think that sort of works.

The eagle's carry capacity is 240 lbs, so it can probably manage to carry you unencumbered (unless you're ludicrously huge). The part of this that's the real problem is that the eagle acts on its own initiative, which means that if it's carrying you you can't move on your own turn. It obeys your orders to the best of its ability, which might or might not mean you have to issue it orders on your turn that will be carried out on its turn. This seems sort of unclear to me. If you were mounted on the eagle you could just control it like a mount. Basically it kinda sorta works, but you're probably just better off riding the eagle normally.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
    Q137: Can a character with the disciple of life class feature (from the Life Cleric Domain) cast the spell goodberry (assume it was acquire though the Magic Initiate feat) using a 9th-level spell slot to produce 10 berries, each of which heals for 19 hp?
    A137: No. Goodberry is not a cleric spell. Magic Initiate doesn't change this fact.
    Because Goodberry is not a cleric spell, you can only ever cast it once per long rest and only at 1st level as described by the feat.

However, if you acquired Goodberry via multiclassing, you could cast it from 9th level spell slot, provided you had them.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

23. - Top - End - #323
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Q138
    When does Combat start?

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A137: No. Goodberry is not a cleric spell. Magic Initiate doesn't change this fact.
    Because Goodberry is not a cleric spell, you can only ever cast it once per long rest and only at 1st level as described by the feat.

However, if you acquired Goodberry via multiclassing, you could cast it from 9th level spell slot, provided you had them.
    Additionally, each berry would heal 12,, as Disciple of Life adds 2+Spell Level. Not sure where 19 came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

25. - Top - End - #325

Q139

Multiple fighting styles question.

Say I have both Dual Wield fighting style and I have Dueling fighting style.

I am fighting with a short sword in main hand and a dagger in off hand.

Round starts:

I use bonus action to throw the dagger at the enemy, because it is the off hand bonus action, and I have dual wield it is 1d4 + stat if I hit.

Now I use the attack action to stab however many times with my short sword at 1d6 + stat + 2 from dueling because when I made the attack I was only wielding 1 weapon.

After that I use my interact with an object action for the round and draw another dagger to do the same then next round.

Repeat.

Is that legally how it should work?

26. - Top - End - #326

I think I have touched on all the outstanding RAW questions.

If I missed yours, sorry. Please re-post it. (Especially if it has fallen off to a prior page).

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu View Post
    Q127 If I have haste cast on me, then I use Wind Step from the Mystic class, does haste double that movement? Also, if I use the dash action, does Wind Step also apply to the dash?
    A127: No to both.

Wind step becomes your mode of movement and explicitly uses your move action. Wind Form, on the other hand, modifies your move speed to 60' flying and would be affected/usable by haste/dash.

Quote Originally Posted by Arastel View Post
    Q128: How does a magical Handy Haversack change the mechanics of retrieving an item from your backpack? The SRD says "Retrieving an item from the haversack requires you to use an action. When you reach into the haversack for a specific item, the item is always magically on top." But how is this any different from normally retrieving an item?
    A128: That statement is more of a throwback to older editions where, if you wanted to get something from a portable hold or bag of holding it took longer because they did not possess the cool 'always at your fingertips' ability the haversack did.

Mechanically speaking, both a bag of holding and haversack only take an action to retrieve items in 5th.

Q129: How does the Use an Object action interact with retrieving such objects from a Handy Haversack? Do I need to use an action on one turn to retrieve an item (for example, a bag of caltrops) and then on a subsequent turn use the Use an Object action to spread the contents on the ground?
    A129: Yes. An action to grab, a different action to use.

Q130: If I am a rogue of the Thief subclass with the Fast Hands feature, can I now use my action to retrieve something from a Handy Haversack and then use my Cunning Action to use the Use an Object action and use the retrieved item on the same turn?

*Edited for spelling mistakes*
    A130: Yeppers!

Q136: As far as i know, you can Dual-wield Crossbow (yeah i'm going there) as long as you have the Crossbow expert feat, but you won't be able to reload them cause you need a free hand, but.... can someone who have a Familiar (or is a Warlock with the Raven Queen as her patron), make the familiar carry the Crossbow for you to reload them?

Note -Light Crossbow weight is 5 lb, and the quantity of pounds that a creature can carry is STR mod x 15, so that means that almost all familiars (to not say all) can carry a Light Crossbow (If they actually have the way to -Lets use a Octopus for this example-)
    A136: Completely up to the DM. I would possibly allow it if the familiar had arms (like an imp), but not animals like ravens and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    Q138
    When does Combat start?
    A138: When initiative is rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudewithknives View Post
    Q139

Multiple fighting styles question.

Say I have both Dual Wield fighting style and I have Dueling fighting style.

I am fighting with a short sword in main hand and a dagger in off hand.

Round starts:

I use bonus action to throw the dagger at the enemy, because it is the off hand bonus action, and I have dual wield it is 1d4 + stat if I hit.

Now I use the attack action to stab however many times with my short sword at 1d6 + stat + 2 from dueling because when I made the attack I was only wielding 1 weapon.

After that I use my interact with an object action for the round and draw another dagger to do the same then next round.

Repeat.

Is that legally how it should work?
    A139: I think technically you will need to either draw the dagger as part of the (bonus) action attack, or move when doing it; either will make the drawing of the dagger a free action that happens during the other action or move.

But past that, this is totally legit.
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-03-24 at 09:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Q:140 Does mirror image work with wildshape? ie: If I cast mirror image do my duplicates change shapr too? Do i still get the benefits of the spell?
    Last edited by Tygros; 2017-03-24 at 10:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328

Quote Originally Posted by Tygros View Post
    Q:140Does mirror image work with wildshape? ie: If I cast mirror image do my duplicates change shapr too? Do i still get the benefits of the spell?
    A140 Yes.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

A 136 You can dual-wield hand crossbows even without Crossbow Expert. You just only get two shots off the first round. After that you can only reload and fire once per round. However, you seem to be talking about light crossbows. Light crossbows are two-handed. Nothing about the Crossbow Expert gets around that fact. Even with it already loaded, you need both hands to fire it.

If you take that feat, just use a hand crossbow in one hand. It gets around the loading problem and lets you shoot again with your bonus action so there's no need to dual-wield. You just need to keep your other hand free for reloading.

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    A 136 You can dual-wield hand crossbows even without Crossbow Expert. You just only get two shots off the first round. After that you can only reload and fire once per round. However, you seem to be talking about light crossbows. Light crossbows are two-handed. Nothing about the Crossbow Expert gets around that fact. Even with it already loaded, you need both hands to fire it.
    Sorry i meant Hand-crossbow not Light Crossbow

If you take that feat, just use a hand crossbow in one hand. It gets around the loading problem and lets you shoot again with your bonus action so there's no need to dual-wield. You just need to keep your other hand free for reloading.
    Yes, i understand that but i was wondering if its possible for the familiar to carry 1 hand-crossbow for me to have a free hand to reload.

As @Eris mentioned, i think some familiars should be able to carry those items (if the have what is needed to -Maybe an Octopus familiar could do it -guessing it doesn't die for the lack of air)