New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Q 148

Does Lightning Arrow from the Ranger's spell list deal damage to the target both if it hits and because of the area of effect? A creature is by definition within 10ft of itself, but I'd like a clarification.

2. - Top - End - #362

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    Q 148

Does Lightning Arrow from the Ranger's spell list deal damage to the target both if it hits and because of the area of effect? A creature is by definition within 10ft of itself, but I'd like a clarification.
    A148: Lightning Arrow AE damage does not affect the original target.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

If a 4E Monk/Moon Druid multiclassing was wildshape, do the following things apply?
    1. Unarmoured Defense
    2. Martial Arts & Unarmed Strike damage
    3. Deflect Missiles
    4. Stunning Strike

Also, because the 4E disciplines that aren't spells don't have any required components, can you still use disciplines such as Water Whip and Fangs of the Fire Snake (and a few others) whilst Wildshaped?

I am certain that you can use an Unarmed Strike whilst Wildshaped.
    Last edited by The Ship's dog; 2017-04-02 at 07:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364

Quote Originally Posted by The Ship's dog View Post
    If a 4E Monk/Moon Druid multiclassing was wildshape, do the following things apply?
    1. Unarmoured Defense
    2. Martial Arts & Unarmed Strike damage
    3. Deflect Missiles
    4. Stunning Strike

Also, because the 4E disciplines that aren't spells don't have any required components, can you still use disciplines such as Water Whip and Fangs of the Fire Snake (and a few others) whilst Wildshaped?

I am certain that you can use an Unarmed Strike whilst Wildshaped.
    A149:
    1. You can use either the animals calculation or the Monks Unarmored Defense.
    2. If you conduct an unarmed attack, you deal monk damage; if you opt to claw or bite, you do that damage.
    3. Legal, though actually catching the missile may not be possible in some forms.
    4. You can use Ki Wildshaped, and use Stunning Strike.
    5. Bonus, you keep the monk movement speed too!

(All answers are for 5th ed; if the quandary was truly about 4th, please disregard 8).

5. - Top - End - #365
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A145 If it said "affected or detected" then yes, a Rakshasa's true form would not be revealed if True Seeing is used at 6th.

BUT, my MM only says "immune to spells of 6th or lower"; and therefore suggest his immunity would not come into play against such magics. Spells like True Seeing and Detect Magic do not affect, or really even interact, with their 'Targets' directly. Instead, they simply pierce/perceive the magics that are in use on a particular creature, and the normal rules apply.

Now if the Rakshasa manages to gain access to Nondetection... then you're likely to never known his true natural form.

Unless, of course, he wants you to.
    Strange, OrcPub says it can't be affected or detected. I'm fully aware that OrcPub is not the Monster Manual though, and that OrcPub is - most likely - incorrect, unless they pull that information from elsewhere.

Regardless, could you point me to the rule that states it wouldn't be detected by it? Or is it simply a matter of common sense?
    Check out my threads:
    Video Game Characters as D&D Characters v2.0
    Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

I never use Psionics in my games.

Avatar by the amazing AsteriskAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by Xaroth View Post
    Strange, OrcPub says it can't be affected or detected. I'm fully aware that OrcPub is not the Monster Manual though, and that OrcPub is - most likely - incorrect, unless they pull that information from elsewhere.

Regardless, could you point me to the rule that states it wouldn't be detected by it? Or is it simply a matter of common sense?
    I am glad you asked, because in doing so I did a little deeper digging then just my book and found there is some errata I had forgotten...

Rakshasa (p. 257).
    Limited magic immunity: the first sentence
    now reads, “The rakshasa can’t be affected or detected by spells
    of 6th level or lower unless it wishes to be.”
    So, to clarify, A145: since it says "affected or detected": yes, a Rakshasa's true form would not be revealed if True Seeing is used at 6th.
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-04-02 at 11:54 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A149:
    *snip*
    It was for 5e, thank you!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Q150: Does a dragon need to have legendary actions to gain lair actions? At what level of development are a dragon's lair actions factored into their CR?

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    Q150: Does a dragon need to have legendary actions to gain lair actions? At what level of development are a dragon's lair actions factored into their CR?
    A150: Unless something specifically says otherwise, you have to be a legendary creature to get lair actions. The lairs experience adjustments should factored in already for all Adult and Ancient Dragons.

Cite

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q151 When you have extra attack (3) and have Dwarven Thrower, can you thrown 4x? Or you still continue using just one object interact? Because you attack, thrown, weapon come back, thrown again, weapon come back.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuu Hayato View Post
    Q151 When you have extra attack (3) and have Dwarven Thrower, can you thrown 4x? Or you still continue using just one object interact? Because you attack, thrown, weapon come back, thrown again, weapon come back.
    A151
    If I'm reading it right, yes. You can throw it 4 times per Attack action.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

13. - Top - End - #373

ElfMonkGuy

Q152
    Can you activate the Booming Blade Cantrip with the Battlemaster's Pushing Attack Manoeuvre.
    Last edited by Fishyninja; 2017-04-05 at 02:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374

ElfMonkGuy

Q153
    When taking the Blade Mastery Feat, does the +1 to Attack rolls, stack with any extra bonuses? I.e. making a +1 weapon into a +2/+1 weapon?

15. - Top - End - #375

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyninja View Post
    Q152
    Can you activate the Booming Blade Cantrip with the Battlemaster's Pushing Attack Manoeuvre.
    A152: No. The spell description specifies that the extra damage is only triggered by willing movement.

Unless you're asking if you can use the Booming Blade weapon attack to also apply the Pushing Attack maneuver? The answer there is yes, since maneuvers only require weapon attacks (and sometimes bonus actions), they do not specify that you must take the attack action.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2017-04-05 at 02:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376

ElfMonkGuy

It was more whether the Pushing Attack would trigger the Booming Blade Damage. Ok fair enough thank you for the answer.

17. - Top - End - #377

Goblin

Q153
    When taking the Blade Mastery Feat, does the +1 to Attack rolls, stack with any extra bonuses? I.e. making a +1 weapon into a +2/+1 weapon?
    A153: So far as I'm aware time whenever there is a feature which grants a bonus written as +[number] you can add the bonus directly to the relevant statistic (as with the Armored fighting style).

For clarity however, you are not making the weapon +2/+1. While wielding a blade you have an attack bonus which is calculated as stat bonus + proficiency + 1 (feat) + 1 (weapon enhancement). This has the same effect (your attack bonus is 2 higher), but it isn't because the weapon is adding + 2 to attack.

18. - Top - End - #378

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    A153: So far as I'm aware time whenever there is a feature which grants a bonus written as +[number] you can add the bonus directly to the relevant statistic (as with the Armored fighting style).

For clarity however, you are not making the weapon +2/+1. While wielding a blade you have an attack bonus which is calculated as stat bonus + proficiency + 1 (feat) + 1 (weapon enhancement). This has the same effect (your attack bonus is 2 higher), but it isn't because the weapon is adding + 2 to attack.
    So to clarify if my question has a +1 Rapier, I get +1 to Attack rolls and +1 to damage.
    So with the Feat then it would make my attack rolls +2?

19. - Top - End - #379

So to clarify if my question has a +1 Rapier, I get +1 to Attack rolls and +1 to damage.
    So with the Feat then it would make my attack rolls +2?
    Not including other relevant modifiers, yes. This is correct.

20. - Top - End - #380

ElfMonkGuy

Not including other relevant modifiers, yes. This is correct.
    Thank you.

21. - Top - End - #381

Q154 The Mystic (v3) in the Bestial Form discipline (Of the Inmortal), the Bestial Claws have no action requirement, so applying the explanation on how to use disciplines would it be instant?

Q155 How does an Invisible creature work while mounted, (Lets go with a Warlock Imp for the sake of the example) those the rider count as an "objected being carried" by the mount so the rider would get invisible with it?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

A 155 A creature is not an object.

There's a thread somewhere that you might be able to find with a search where I talk about being flown by an invisible imp and some of the interesting implications but I won't diver the RAW thread.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

23. - Top - End - #383
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q156 the only way you can disarm someone is if you're a fighter, right?

24. - Top - End - #384
    Orc in the Playground

Q157 For the stone sorcerer's 6th level ability, what is the order of operations regarding the damage reduction? From where I'm standing it could be read as (2 + sorc level)/4 or 2 + (sorc level/4).

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q156 the only way you can disarm someone is if you're a fighter, right?
    A156 Dungeon Master's Guide introduced a number of Action options which a DM may add as a group or individually into their game.

One of them is Disarm:
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG, pg. 271
    DISARM
    A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target's grasp. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target's Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item. The attacker has disadvantage on its attack roll if the target is holding the item with two or more hands. The target has advantage on its ability check if it is larger than the attacking creature, or disadvantage if it is smaller.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 158

If I make a sorcerer 6/paladin 2, I understand that they can only cast paladin spells with their paladin spell slots. Does that include divine smite? Would I be able to cast a third level divine smite using a sorcerer spell slot?

thanks in advance

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astofel View Post
    Q157 For the stone sorcerer's 6th level ability, what is the order of operations regarding the damage reduction? From where I'm standing it could be read as (2 + sorc level)/4 or 2 + (sorc level/4).
    A 157

it's 2+ sorc/4 (normal order of operations). If it was (2+sorc) /4 it would be written "2 + your sorcerer level, divided by 4" The lack of a comma makes a difference.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

A 158 You don't have separate slots for paladin and for sorcerer. You use the method of calculating your total spell slots from the multiclassing section of the PHB. You can smite with any slots you have.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q159 - Armor of Agathys. Does the cold damage dealt to an attacker depend on the amount of damage prevented by the temporary hit points, or is the damage always the static 5 per spell slot level?

e.g. if I make a melee attack against a warlock with 5th level Armor of Agathys, and I deal 8 damage, does the Armor of Agathys retaliate me with 8 cold damage or 25 cold damage?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-04-10 at 03:28 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

30. - Top - End - #390

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q159 - Armor of Agathys. Does the cold damage dealt to an attacker depend on the amount of damage prevented by the temporary hit points, or is the damage always the static 5 per spell slot level?

e.g. if I make a melee attack against a warlock with 5th level Armor of Agathys, and I deal 8 damage, does the Armor of Agathys retaliate me with 8 cold damage or 25 cold damage?
    A159: The cold damage is dependent on spell level, not on the amount of damage done to the temporary hit points. The spell is worded as "If a creature hits you with a melee attack while you have these hit points, the creature takes 5 cold damage" with the upcasting text specifying that both the number of hit points and the damage per hit scale with level.

In your specific example the Armor of Agathys retaliates for 25 cold damage.