New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Q 192
    How does champion's challenge (channel divinity of crown paladin) interact with the spell fear? Assuming an enemy is under both effects?
    Hacks!

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 191
    I hit an enemy with BB on my turn.
    On his turn, the enemy is moving away from me, exiting my reach with his first 5 feet of movement, triggering both the secondary damage from BB and an OA by me.
    I use BB with my OA (warcaster), and I hit.
    Does the enemy take the secondary damage from BB (the one I hit him with during my turn) before my OA connects, or after?
    I guess my main question is, does the enemy take damage from the secondary effect of BB once or twice, in the scenario I described above?

As always, thank you in advance.
    A 191

This may be up to the DM. I would say the target has not yet moved when your OA triggers (for evidence, consider that Sentinel allows an OA to prevent movement; also consider that if the target had already moved it would be out of range of your spell), so the secondary damage has not yet triggered.

(Also, as an aside, spelling out "Booming Blade" the first time it was referenced would have been helpful.)

A 192

Fear-compelled movement is usually interpreted as not "willing" and so would not violate the prohibition on willing movement caused by Champion Challenge. But the exact interpretation of "willing movement" is up to the individual DM; I'm not aware of any precise definition in the rules.

Powers &8^]

3. - Top - End - #483
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 191
    I hit an enemy with BB on my turn.
    On his turn, the enemy is moving away from me, exiting my reach with his first 5 feet of movement, triggering both the secondary damage from BB and an OA by me.
    I use BB with my OA (warcaster), and I hit.
    Does the enemy take the secondary damage from BB (the one I hit him with during my turn) before my OA connects, or after?
    I guess my main question is, does the enemy take damage from the secondary effect of BB once or twice, in the scenario I described above?

As always, thank you in advance.
    A191: The attack of opportunity happens before the move.

The damage from the move (even though there are effectively two Booming Blades on the opponent) occurs only once. You cannot stack same damage types. (Per Combining ongoing effects in the DMG and errata).

Edited erroneous part.
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-05-18 at 04:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #484

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A191: The attack of opportunity happens before the move (reactions happen before the event being 'reacted to').

The damage from the move (even though there are effectively two Booming Blades on the opponent) occurs only once. You cannot stack same damage types. (Per Combining ongoing effects in the DMG and errata).
    A191-clarification: As a general rule, reactions happen *after* the event being 'reacted to'. You are reacting to something that has happened, not something that may happen in the future.

OA's are an explicit exception to this rule. An OA does happen before the event that triggers it, but that is an oddity. (I guess technically, an OA is a reaction to someone 'trying' to move out of range....)

5. - Top - End - #485
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Q 193

Huge creature with Burrow speed 30 uses its movement to burrow 30 ft into the ground. This is its current status. How long would it take for creatures without Burrow to reach it/how deep is Huge creature ATM?

Clarification: My party encountered White dragon who sprayed them with Ice brath, then burrowed 30 ft into the ice. Session escalated into a long discussion of how characters CAN reach huge dragon while 30 ft buried in ice, etc. Could anyone clarify on the status of the dragon and how(un)reachable it is to creatures without burrow?

thanks

6. - Top - End - #486

Quote Originally Posted by Pinjata View Post
    Q 193

Huge creature with Burrow speed 30 uses its movement to burrow 30 ft into the ground. This is its current status. How long would it take for creatures without Burrow to reach it/how deep is Huge creature ATM?

Clarification: My party encountered White dragon who sprayed them with Ice brath, then burrowed 30 ft into the ice. Session escalated into a long discussion of how characters CAN reach huge dragon while 30 ft buried in ice, etc. Could anyone clarify on the status of the dragon and how(un)reachable it is to creatures without burrow?

thanks
    A193: I am not aware of a RAW answer here. Personally I use center mass having moved X feet; be it flight, over land, swim, or burrow. So in this example: the dragon is about 20' tall, center mass is at the 10' mark. After burrowing the center mass is now 20' underground, with the top of his mass being about 10' under.

YMMV.

7. - Top - End - #487

PaladinGuy

Q194
    For the Mystic from UA (version 3) some of the powers are worded like this:
    As an action, you target one creature you can see within 120 feet of you. The target must succeed on an {b}Intelligence saving throw{/b} or take 1d10 psychic damage.

Energy Beam, Mind Thrust, and a few others.

Question: Does this mean you need to make an attack roll?
    Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
    Q194
    For the Mystic from UA (version 3) some of the powers are worded like this:
    As an action, you target one creature you can see within 120 feet of you. The target must succeed on an {b}Intelligence saving throw{/b} or take 1d10 psychic damage.

Energy Beam, Mind Thrust, and a few others.

Question: Does this mean you need to make an attack roll?
    A194: If you need to make an Attack roll, the power should tell you directly.

In the power you quoted, you merely need to select a target and that target must make an Intelligence saving throw or suffer d10 psychic damage.

9. - Top - End - #489

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A194: If you need to make an Attack roll, the power should tell you directly.

In the power you quoted, you merely need to select a target and that target must make an Intelligence saving throw or suffer d10 psychic damage.
    Thanks, so follow-up

Q195
    As an action, you deliver a touch of acid to one creature within your reach. The target must make a {b}Dexterity saving throw{/b}, taking {b}1d10 acid damage per psi point{/b} spent on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

This is also from UA Mystic....is it also the same - select a target (within reach) and it makes a save? No need for touch attack - it just assumes i touch it and the creature just needs to make a save
    Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd

10. - Top - End - #490

Goblin

Thanks, so follow-up

Q195
    As an action, you deliver a touch of acid to one creature within your reach. The target must make a {b}Dexterity saving throw{/b}, taking {b}1d10 acid damage per psi point{/b} spent on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

This is also from UA Mystic....is it also the same - select a target (within reach) and it makes a save? No need for touch attack - it just assumes i touch it and the creature just needs to make a save
    In 5e spells, powers, and abilities always specify in their description how to resolve the effects. If the power does not call for an attack roll in the description then no attack roll is required. The same is true for saving throws. In the ability you quote above the target makes a dexterity saving throw, then takes full or half damage based on the result. No attack roll is involved. I believe that rather than assuming that you touch the target automatically the dexterity saving throw represents the target trying to dodge out of the way, but your table could describe this however you liked.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2017-05-22 at 08:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491

PaladinGuy

Thanks and makes sense. OK so another...BTW, the reason i ask so many (other then not knowing) I'm assuming UA may have mistakes

Q195
    Breath of the Green Dragon (7 psi). You exhale a cloud of poison in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in the line must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 10d6 poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

This doesn't state if it's an action, bonus action, reaction. I ASSUME it's an action. Is this correct? I guess a followup 195b :) Is there a general rule that if it doesn't state it's an action, bonus, or something else -- then assume action?

EDIT: FYI...I'm not just reading this, but creating the mystic in herolab - so this will help out.
    Last edited by furby076; 2017-05-22 at 09:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

A195 It's almost certainly intended to be an action. Same with Breath of the Black Dragon. Abilities are always supposed to specify the action type they require, as you can see the other Discipline abilities all do. There is no "default", though it's usually safe to assume an "action" if the ability is erroneously published without specifying.

Powers &8^]

13. - Top - End - #493

Thanks and makes sense. OK so another...BTW, the reason i ask so many (other then not knowing) I'm assuming UA may have mistakes

Q195
    Breath of the Green Dragon (7 psi). You exhale a cloud of poison in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in the line must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 10d6 poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

This doesn't state if it's an action, bonus action, reaction. I ASSUME it's an action. Is this correct? I guess a followup 195b :) Is there a general rule that if it doesn't state it's an action, bonus, or something else -- then assume action?

EDIT: FYI...I'm not just reading this, but creating the mystic in herolab - so this will help out.
    Yes, its an action (its assumed as an action if nothing points it out), the same happen with the Mystic ability to grow claws and attack someone.

14. - Top - End - #494

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Yes, its an action (its assumed as an action if nothing points it out), the same happen with the Mystic ability to grow claws and attack someone.
    Thanks. For the grow claws and attack....i assumed it was action...manifest and swipe.

thanks all

15. - Top - End - #495

Q196 So if i have Warcaster, and activate on my turn Flame Blade, could i use the Blade to make OA? i ask mainly cause Warcaster says:

When a hostile creature’s movement provokes an
    opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction
    to cast a spell at the creature
    , rather than making
    an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting
    time o f 1 action and must target only that creature.

with Flame Blade i would not be casting it again i would already have the buff on, but i would be using a Melee Spell attack, so what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-05-24 at 08:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

A196

RAW, no. The spell allows you to use the fiery blade only with an attack action on your turn. An opportunity attack is a reaction and occurs outside of your turn.

Warcaster doesn't help you because you're not casting a spell.

Powers &8^]

17. - Top - End - #497
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q197Can an unseen servant open a door? chest?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2017-05-28 at 09:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q198If I'm effected by haste, can I dodge and attack in the same round?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2017-05-28 at 09:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #499

A197 Yes, assuming your DM agrees that the task is considered simple. Note that it has a STR score of 2, so the maximum it can carry is 30 pounds, and it can push / drag / lift up to 60 pounds. (PHB p176)

A198 Yes. Haste grants you an additional action that must be either Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action. Dodge isn't one of these, but you can take the Dodge action and use Haste's additional action to Attack, but that attack is limited to one weapon attack (no Extra Attack).

20. - Top - End - #500

ClericGuy

Q199

You need a free hand to start a grapple on one opponent, but do you need a free hand to keep the target grappled on subsequent turns?

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 200
    1) Does damage resistance work with temporary hit points?
    For example, would stoneskin save some of the temp HP granted by armor of agathys?
    (assuming the damage is of the type that stoneskin protects you from)

2) Do temporary hit points have any effect on concentration?
    For example, if I take damage while concentrating on a spell, and I only lose temporary hit points, should I still make a concentration check or not?

Thanks in advance.
    Hacks!

22. - Top - End - #502

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Q 200
    Show
    Q 200
    1) Does damage resistance work with temporary hit points?
    For example, would stoneskin save some of the temp HP granted by armor of agathys?
    (assuming the damage is of the type that stoneskin protects you from)

2) Do temporary hit points have any effect on concentration?
    For example, if I take damage while concentrating on a spell, and I only lose temporary hit points, should I still make a concentration check or not?

Thanks in advance.

A 200

1)Yes

2)Yes you have to

23. - Top - End - #503
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q 201
    As a Lore Bard if you have Sanctuary up & are attacked. Should you use Cutting Words will it shut off Sanctuary?

24. - Top - End - #504

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    Q199

You need a free hand to start a grapple on one opponent, but do you need a free hand to keep the target grappled on subsequent turns?
    A199
    The grapple rules say that you "seize the target" with your "at least one free hand". My reading is that the hand you use is no longer free, but that it is occupied by the creature you grappled, though you can release them with no action.

Quote Originally Posted by sightlessrealit View Post
    Q 201
    As a Lore Bard if you have Sanctuary up & are attacked. Should you use Cutting Words will it shut off Sanctuary?
    A 201
    Sanctuary specifies that it ends if you do one of two things: make an attack or cast a spell that affects an enemy creature. Cutting Words isn't an attack or a spell so it wouldn't have any effect on Sanctuary. (Side note, I assume the Lore Bard cast Sanctuary on him/herself. Otherwise, nothing the Lord Bard does would cause Sanctuary to end because the spell specifies that it ends if the warded creature, rather than the caster attacks or casts as spell that affects an enemy.)

25. - Top - End - #505
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sightlessrealit View Post
    Q 201
    A 201:
    Sanctuary ends if you attack or cast a spell that targets an enemy creature. Cutting Words is neither of these and is a special feature of the Bard class. It shouldn't end Sanctuary.
    Last edited by ProphetSword; 2017-06-02 at 04:35 PM.
    "You'd only need to kill something like 147,311,996 pigeons to achieve FTL travel."
    uraniumrooster

26. - Top - End - #506
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q 202:

A Barbarian suffering the blind condition can use Reckless Attack in order to cancel the disadvantage, since his enemies are attacking with advantage anyway?
    Last edited by Arvin Natsuko; 2017-06-05 at 01:23 AM.
    We are everywhere.

27. - Top - End - #507

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Q 202
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvin Natsuko View Post
    Q 202:

A Barbarian suffering the blind condition can use Reckless Attack in order to cancel the disadvantage, since his enemies are attacking with advantage anyway?

A 202

Yes
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q203 I am carrying a Rod of Absorption. If an enemy caster targets me with two attacks of Eldritch Blast, which of the following happens?

A) The rod absorbs both attacks and loses no charges.
    B) The rod absorbs only one attack and loses no charges. I take the damage (or avoid) the other attack.
    C) As A, but the rod loses 1 charge.
    D) As A, but the rod loses 2 charges.
    E) As B, but the rod loses 1 charge.

Spoiler: Rod of Absorption
    Show
    While holding this rod, you can use your reaction to absorb a spell that is targeting only you and not with an area of effect. The absorbed spell's effect is canceled, and the spell's energy...is stored in the rod. The rod can absorb and store up to 50 levels of energy over the course of its existence. Once the rod absorbs 50 levels of energy, it can't absorb more.

Relatedly:

Q204 Are cantrips considered 0th level spells in 5e?

29. - Top - End - #509

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wondermndjr View Post
    Q203 I am carrying a Rod of Absorption. If an enemy caster targets me with two attacks of Eldritch Blast, which of the following happens?

A) The rod absorbs both attacks and loses no charges.
    B) The rod absorbs only one attack and loses no charges. I take the damage (or avoid) the other attack.
    C) As A, but the rod loses 1 charge.
    D) As A, but the rod loses 2 charges.
    E) As B, but the rod loses 1 charge.

Spoiler: Rod of Absorption
    Show
    While holding this rod, you can use your reaction to absorb a spell that is targeting only you and not with an area of effect. The absorbed spell's effect is canceled, and the spell's energy...is stored in the rod. The rod can absorb and store up to 50 levels of energy over the course of its existence. Once the rod absorbs 50 levels of energy, it can't absorb more.

Relatedly:

Q204 Are cantrips considered 0th level spells in 5e?
    A203 A.

A204 Yes.
    Spoiler: Quotes in the Playground!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side. We have scented hand towels.
    I thought you were supposed to have cookies. I was promised cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Speaking as a necromancer, I just don't get why people can't leave a guy to raise a family in peace.

And they get all offended when I take some commonly-given advice and go out to make new friends.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Q 205

How does an antimagic field (as per spell) effect damage immunity from non-magical weapons? Would a party in an antimagic field facing werewolves just be out of luck?