New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Q14

Has there been any indication of whether the revised Ranger's beast companion is supposed to gain hit dice with class level or character level? And if it's class level, what about the companion's increasing proficiency bonus?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q15: found a misunderdtanding on an answer for a question on RAW thread II:

Q114 the web spell says webs layered over a flat surface have a depth of 5 feet. What does that mean? Thought it was a 20cube

A114: if you have walls or pillars to support the webs then it goes as wide as a 20 ft. Cube. If there isn't any, you can still cover a flat surface with sticky web as a 20 ft circle area but not a cube, because it wont go any taller than the 5ft depth. Much like a grease area so to speak.

If you cast it on the air with no flat surface nor supportive walls or pillars, then it becomes a ball of worthless web that ends the spell at the start of next turn.

Sorry but i saw no way to contact OP to fix this on the original thread
    Last edited by Itomon; 2017-01-17 at 09:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 16

A character has a flying speed of 30 and a land speed of 55.
    The character flies 20 feet, and then lands.
    What is the RAW on how much farther they can move with only their land speed?

(Sorry if this has been answered a million times, but you have no idea how hard my google-fu failed me)

E: Grammar
    Last edited by Corinath; 2017-01-17 at 10:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

A16: PHB (Page 190) Using Different Speeds:
    "If you have more than one speed, such as your walking speed and a flying speed, you can switch back and forth between your speeds during your move. Whenever you switch, subtract the distance you've already moved from the new speed. The result determines how much farther you can move. If the result is 0 or less, you can’t use the new speed during the current move."

In your example, character flew 20 feet. Raw says the character can move [55-20=] 35 more feet by walking.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Q17: Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound
    A)I saw a sages post that said it does not occupy it's space. Does that mean you can put multiple hounds at the same spot and stack their effects? Like prepare for an encounter by stacking 5 hounds in the same spot, and then trap/control an opponent into that spot?
    B)From it's wording, and previous editions incarnations, I know it's to be considered more as a consistant AOE than a Summon, as in it can't leave it's range. However what I am not sure about is if it can move within the range of the spell, aka 30 feel or if it is bound in one 5 foot square and only the barking effect is activated within 30 feet. I always assumed the latter, but just wanted to double-check.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Q14

Has there been any indication of whether the revised Ranger's beast companion is supposed to gain hit dice with class level or character level? And if it's class level, what about the companion's increasing proficiency bonus?
    A14: RAW is not the clearest here, since it is UA, however the general understanding is:
    - The beast gains hit dice with each class level, similar to how other features indicative of level discussed in Ranger class features only account for Ranger levels. Then again, it is not clear in RAW because it is UA. The principles of RAW suggest class level, however.
    - The beast has whatever proficiency bonus the PC has, so it will scale with PC level regardless. Proficiency has always only referred to character level in general and not to specific classes. As this is the general rule and nothing in the Ranger UA states otherwise, this is as close to RAW as you can get for UA.

A15: No answer needed.
    My Philosophies:
    Encounter Design Philosophy
    Enemy Design Philosophy
    My Incomplete Complete 5e Character Creation Rework

Please leave feedback or PM with thoughts. I'm always trying to refine my approach.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q18: A vampire regains health at the beginning of its turn unless it took radiant damage in the last round after its last turn. Spirit Guardians deals radiant damage at the beginning of the enemy's turn. If Spirit Guardians triggers for the first time against a vampire, does it regain health that round?
    Last edited by Wondermndjr; 2017-01-17 at 04:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Two questions:

Q19

Can someone explain how animals' attack stats are figured out? It doesn't seem to be consistent. For example, The brown bear has a +5 to hit with its bite and claws, but its strength modifier is +4. It has a +2 proficiency based on its CR of 1, so why is it not +6? A Camel has a +2 proficiency bonus, but only has a +3 strength mod and yet still has a +5 to hit. What am I missing? Is it just a typo that never got caught?

Q20

When you Wild Shape, do you use your own proficiency bonus or the animal's? You get the creature's statistics, but you keep your own class and racial features. Is your proficiency bonus a class feature, or am I stuck with whatever the animal has for a proficiency bonus?

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The main character (solo campaign) heard about the upcoming execution of his brother for murder, and was on his way to the Count's Keep to stop or delay it.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q21
    If I have extra attack and kill a creature with my first attack, can I use the rest of my movement to move to another creature and hit that one?

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Wondermndjr View Post
    Q18: A vampire regains health at the beginning of its turn unless it took radiant damage in the last round after its last turn. Spirit Guardians deals radiant damage at the beginning of the enemy's turn. If Spirit Guardians triggers for the first time against a vampire, does it regain health that round?
    A18: Assuming the spell was cast while the vampire was within 15', thus mitigating the 'entered' effect of the spell- I think falls in DM territory. I don't see a concrete RAW answer from my searches.

If it was me, the vamp would heal half what it usually does for that round. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by erok0809 View Post
    Two questions:

Q19

Can someone explain how animals' attack stats are figured out? It doesn't seem to be consistent. For example, The brown bear has a +5 to hit with its bite and claws, but its strength modifier is +4. It has a +2 proficiency based on its CR of 1, so why is it not +6? A Camel has a +2 proficiency bonus, but only has a +3 strength mod and yet still has a +5 to hit. What am I missing? Is it just a typo that never got caught?

Q20

When you Wild Shape, do you use your own proficiency bonus or the animal's? You get the creature's statistics, but you keep your own class and racial features. Is your proficiency bonus a class feature, or am I stuck with whatever the animal has for a proficiency bonus?
    A19: Probably a typo. I don't see any errata on it though.

A20: You get yours for saves and skills you know, use its for things it knows that you don't (like biting and clawing people). Cite

Quote Originally Posted by QUARE View Post
    Q21
    If I have extra attack and kill a creature with my first attack, can I use the rest of my movement to move to another creature and hit that one?
    A21: Yes. (PHB 190)
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-01-17 at 05:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q22: The Healer feat states that when you use a Healer's kit to stabilize a creature, you may restore one hit point to that creature, but the combat chapter says nothing about using healer's kits. Am I to interpret that a character could have skill in either Healer's kit or Wisdom (Medicine)?

Follow-up question: Can a Rogue (Thief) use the abilities granted by the healer feat with their fast hands ability?
    My first homebrew: 5e Strategist

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by ruy343 View Post
    Q22: The Healer feat states that when you use a Healer's kit to stabilize a creature, you may restore one hit point to that creature, but the combat chapter says nothing about using healer's kits. Am I to interpret that a character could have skill in either Healer's kit or Wisdom (Medicine)?

Follow-up question: Can a Rogue (Thief) use the abilities granted by the healer feat with their fast hands ability?
    A22: How to use a healer kit is in the kits description on page 151 of the phb. You do not need a special skill to use the kit, it takes an action, and consumes one tenth of the kits materials per use.

In addition; yes, a thief can use fast hands with a healers kit.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by erok0809 View Post
    Two questions:

Q19

I think it was JC tweets..... but somewhere the Devs explained that the formula was used, but 'adjusted' when it seemed appropriate. Which is why some of the numbers in the stat blocks do not exactly match the various formulae.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q23

Do targets afflicted with the Faerie Fire spell remain affected by it if they move outside of the area the spell was cast in?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q24

How does the +2 to damage rolls from the Duelling Fighting style apply to high rolls?

E.g. Quarterstaff d6
    Rolled a 3, +2 =5 damage
    Rolled a 5, +2 =7? Or is the maximum 6?

(apologies for the weird phrasing and if it's been asked before)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sianthus View Post
    Q24

How does the +2 to damage rolls from the Duelling Fighting style apply to high rolls?

E.g. Quarterstaff d6
    Rolled a 3, +2 =5 damage
    Rolled a 5, +2 =7? Or is the maximum 6?

(apologies for the weird phrasing and if it's been asked before)
    The only maximum on bonuses to damage is how high you can get them, that's why you very rarely get flat bonus amounts to rolls. So yes, you'd still get bonus damage.

However, in this situation, you would not get the bonus damage because the Dueling Fighting Style requires you to have a melee weapon in one hand and wielding no other weapons. The Quarterstaff is a two-handed weapon so the Dueling Fighting Style would not apply
    Last edited by The Ship's dog; 2017-01-18 at 01:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by dickerson76 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Corinath View Post
    Q 16

A character has a flying speed of 30 and a land speed of 55.
    The character flies 20 feet, and then lands.
    What is the RAW on how much farther they can move with only their land speed?

(Sorry if this has been answered a million times, but you have no idea how hard my google-fu failed me)

E: Grammar
    A16: PHB (Page 190) Using Different Speeds:
    "If you have more than one speed, such as your walking speed and a flying speed, you can switch back and forth between your speeds during your move. Whenever you switch, subtract the distance you've already moved from the new speed. The result determines how much farther you can move. If the result is 0 or less, you can’t use the new speed during the current move."

In your example, character flew 20 feet. Raw says the character can move [55-20=] 35 more feet by walking.

R16:Shouldn't it be 10 feet if the distance already moved is subtracted from the new speed ?

30 - 20 = 10
    Last edited by Plaguescarred; 2017-01-18 at 08:18 AM.
    Yan
    D&D Playtester

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by The Ship's dog View Post
    The only maximum on bonuses to damage us how high you can get them, that's why you very rarely get flat bonus amounts to rolls. So yes, you'd still get bonus damage.

However, in this situation, you would not get the bonus damage because the Dueling Fighting Style requires you to have a melee weapon in one hand and wielding no other weapons. The Quarterstaff is a two-handed weapon so the Dueling Fighting Style would not apply
    A24 correction The Qstaff is (unfortunately) a one-handed weapon with Versatile. So it can be used with Duelist. (If used one handed)

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    Q17: Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound
    A)I saw a sages post that said it does not occupy it's space. Does that mean you can put multiple hounds at the same spot and stack their effects? Like prepare for an encounter by stacking 5 hounds in the same spot, and then trap/control an opponent into that spot?
    B)From it's wording, and previous editions incarnations, I know it's to be considered more as a consistant AOE than a Summon, as in it can't leave it's range. However what I am not sure about is if it can move within the range of the spell, aka 30 feel or if it is bound in one 5 foot square and only the barking effect is activated within 30 feet. I always assumed the latter, but just wanted to double-check.
    A17:

A) Yes, you can stack them as long as there is nothing else in that space
    B) No, it can't move

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by RedzoneX View Post
    Q23

Do targets afflicted with the Faerie Fire spell remain affected by it if they move outside of the area the spell was cast in?
    A23: Yes, they are still affected

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Q25

Using an attack with a character that has the Extra Attack feature and is able to realize 2 attacks with the attack action, is it possible to grapple a target and then realize the attack if you have a one-handed weapon? If you can, would it be with advantage, disadvantage or normal?

22. - Top - End - #52

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPenance View Post
    Q25

Using an attack with a character that has the Extra Attack feature and is able to realize 2 attacks with the attack action, is it possible to grapple a target and then realize the attack if you have a one-handed weapon? If you can, would it be with advantage, disadvantage or normal?
    A25: You would be able to do 2 attacks, and change the first attack into a grapple. Your second attack would be normal, whether the grapple succeeds or fails. Its attacks against you would be normal as well. The "Grappler" feat allows you to have advantage on attacks against grappled opponents. Otherwise, the only benefit is that you have immobilized the creature and can drag it different directions.
    My Philosophies:
    Encounter Design Philosophy
    Enemy Design Philosophy
    My Incomplete Complete 5e Character Creation Rework

Please leave feedback or PM with thoughts. I'm always trying to refine my approach.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    A24 correction The Qstaff is (unfortunately) a one-handed weapon with Versatile. So it can be used with Duelist. (If used one handed)
    A24 Correction - Addendum/Clarification; Duelling fighting style requires wielding a melee weapon in one hand, which is different from 'not being a two-handed weapon'; this is pertinent for things like Great weapon fighting and monk weapons also. Two-Handed is a property which is triggered by certain things, but in the event of the Duelling fighting style, it merely requires a weapon in one hand. Under the common sense assumption that 'one hand' means 'one hand only' and not 'at least one hand', versatile weapons are allowed. GWF requires a weapon wielded in two hands (which nominally would mean Versatile or Two-Handed, but there are no rules on you 2 handing another weapon without the Versatile feat), while Monk weapons are simple one-handed weapons, which includes the Qstaff as it is.one handed, just with the qualifier that it is versatile. It is however unclear as far as I'm aware as whether a monk can or cannot use her Qstaff with 2H as a monk weapon.
    Last edited by Vaz; 2017-01-18 at 03:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    A24 Correction - Addendum/Clarification; Duelling fighting style requires wielding a melee weapon in one hand, which is different from 'not being a two-handed weapon'; this is pertinent for things like Great weapon fighting and monk weapons also. Two-Handed is a property which is triggered by certain things, but in the event of the Duelling fighting style, it merely requires a weapon in one hand. Under the common sense assumption that 'one hand' means 'one hand only' and not 'at least one hand', versatile weapons are allowed. GWF requires a weapon wielded in two hands (which nominally would mean Versatile or Two-Handed, but there are no rules on you 2 handing another weapon without the Versatile feat), while Monk weapons are simple one-handed weapons, which includes the Qstaff as it is.one handed, just with the qualifier that it is versatile. It is however unclear as far as I'm aware as whether a monk can or cannot use her Qstaff with 2H as a monk weapon.
    Well this is a more comprehensive answer. The Quarterstaff bring able to be wielded in one hand is pretty weird because they are generally quite long and hefty. I just assumed that it wouldn't be a versatile weapon.
    Last edited by The Ship's dog; 2017-01-18 at 03:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

A 24 (cont) From PHB p. 78.

"monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property."

Being versatile doesn't disqualify it as a monk weapon. A qtr staff is a simple weapon that doesn't have the two-handed or heavy property. There is no restriction that says it must be wielded one-handed that I know of. Thus by RAW monks can (and generally I'd say should) wield a qtr staff with two hands, particularly since their unarmed strikes don't require a hand free. (Unless and until someone can show us such a restriction.)
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-01-19 at 12:54 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Plaguescarred View Post
    R16:Shouldn't it be 10 feet if the distance already moved is subtracted from the new speed ?

30 - 20 = 10
    If the character is flying and then they land, the new speed is their ground movement.

So, they flew for 20 and then they land. They subtract the amount they moved while in flight (20) from the new speed (55 for ground movement). That leaves 35.

To follow up, if they moved for 15 more feet on ground after that, and then took to the sky, the new speed would switch to flight. Subtract their movement up to that point (total of 35) from the new movement speed (back to 30 flight speed). Since that would equal 0 or less, they can no longer move through the air (30 - 35 = -5).
    Last edited by ProphetSword; 2017-01-21 at 08:22 PM.
    "You'd only need to kill something like 147,311,996 pigeons to achieve FTL travel."
    uraniumrooster

27. - Top - End - #57

smile Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetSword View Post
    If the character is flying and then they land, the new speed is their ground movement.

So, they flew for 20 and then they land. They subtract the amount they moved while in flight (20) from the new speed (55 for ground movement). That leaves 35.
    Oh you're right i misread the though the new speed was 30 somehow
    Yan
    D&D Playtester

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Q 26 Who wins in the contest between a roper's false appearance ability and the earth elemental's tremor sense?
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q 26 Who wins in the contest between a roper's false appearance ability and the earth elemental's tremor sense?
    A26: The Roper.

Tremorsense relies on "detecting and pinpointing the origin of vibrations", and for a Roper to use False Appearance he must "remain motionless". No motion, no vibrations to detect.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q 27

Let's make a really silly NPC. It has the monster ability to make a reaction on every creatures turn, and it has Spell Mastery with the shield spell, allowing it to cast shield without using a spell slot.

So is it legal to stack a shield spell on every turn they get attacked, quickly boosting their AC to levels unhittable on an attack roll without a crit? The shield doesn't use concentration, and has no caveat against casting it multiple times.