Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Results 661 to 690 of 847

Thread: Simple RAW 3

  1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    Spirit Shield reduces the damage that the rogue takes. The damage that the rogue takes is half the source damage (if Uncanny Dodge is used). Spirit Shield has no effect to reduce the incoming damage, only to reduce the damage taken, which has already been halved in this case.

    So, Uncanny Dodge first, Spirit Shield second. It could not work the other way round, because if the rogue takes full damage he already didn't use Uncanny Dodge to half it.
    To put it another way.
    UD triggers when hit
    SS triggers when damaged.

  2. - Top - End - #662
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlackSymphony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Battle City

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q 266

    An example: I have a Glaive, and I am an Eldritch Knight with Polearm Mastery as a feat. If I cast Booming Blade, and make a melee attack, am I allowed to use the d4 attack with Polearm mastery?

  3. - Top - End - #663
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    Q 266

    An example: I have a Glaive, and I am an Eldritch Knight with Polearm Mastery as a feat. If I cast Booming Blade, and make a melee attack, am I allowed to use the d4 attack with Polearm mastery?
    A 266
    No. Polearm Master requires you to use the Attack action, while Booming Blade uses the Cast a Spell action (but has you make a weapon attack as part of that).

  4. - Top - End - #664
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q 267 If I have both Sanctuary & Spiritual Weapon up will attacking with Spiritual Weapon break Sanctuary? Will simply the casting of Spiritual Weapon break Sanctuary?

  5. - Top - End - #665
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    A 267

    Sanctuary breaks whenever you use the spiritual weapon to attack. It doesn't stop as long as you summon the weapon and don't attack with it.
    I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please pretend that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.


    BLUE text implies sarcasm in my posts. Please don't take seriously anything written in blue by me.

    You can stop reading my signature now

    Spoiler: Achievements in the playground
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #666
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q268 if my ally is grappled, can I shove him (not sure if there would be any rolling involved because my ally is not trying to resist), possibly freeing him from the grapple?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2017-07-22 at 10:18 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #667
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q268 if my ally is grappled, can I shove him (not sure if there would be any rolling involved because my ally is not trying to resist), possibly freeing him from the grapple?
    A 268

    The grappling creature makes an athletics check against your athletics check to shove the ally.
    I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please pretend that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.


    BLUE text implies sarcasm in my posts. Please don't take seriously anything written in blue by me.

    You can stop reading my signature now

    Spoiler: Achievements in the playground
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #668
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    A268 I meant can I shove my ally....

  9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arkhios's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    A268 I meant can I shove my ally....
    Clarifying: I'm sure Lombra realized that, and I agree with him, because the grappling creature would still try to resist your attempt to release the grappled ally.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-07-23 at 09:12 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #670
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    A 268

    The grappling creature makes an athletics check against your athletics check to shove the ally.
    That's a reasonable interpretation but I don't see any written rule supporting it. RAW, you can shove your ally and if successful, move your ally away from the grappling creature, thus breaking the grapple.


    Powers &8^]

  11. - Top - End - #671
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    A 268 I'm sorry to make this more complicated, but I think by RAW, characters are not allowed to forfeit a save unless specified, as in calm emotions. Thus, you can shove your teammate away from a creature grappling it, but it would only be beneficial to try that if you can beat your teammate's athletics check more reliably than the check of the creature grappling them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.

  12. - Top - End - #672
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q. 269
    What does this part of the suffocation rules mean?
    "...it drops to 0 hit points and is dying, and it can't regain hit points or be stabilized until it can breathe again."
    (quotation from Player Basic Rules because I'm away from the PHB, but I think PHB says the same thing)
    Specifically I don't know what "is dying" means. for example, does the creature make death saving throws and automatically fail them?

  13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arkhios's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    Q. 269
    What does this part of the suffocation rules mean?
    "...it drops to 0 hit points and is dying, and it can't regain hit points or be stabilized until it can breathe again."
    (quotation from Player Basic Rules because I'm away from the PHB, but I think PHB says the same thing)
    Specifically I don't know what "is dying" means. for example, does the creature make death saving throws and automatically fail them?
    "0 hit points and is dying" means you're not at "0 hit points and stable", and you must make death saving throws every turn as normal. Suffocation is very dangerous exactly for the reason that you can't stabilize until you can breathe again. Basically, suffocation can kill you as fast as in two rounds (1 x natural one + 1 failed save), despite your hit point maximum.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-07-25 at 11:26 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #674
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q270


    As a Druid, if I have a staff which is my Druidic focus and functions as a quarterstaff, can I cast a spell with somatic and material components if my staff is in one hand and a shield in in the other?

    It seems that from PHB203 the hand holding the focus can be the same hand performing the somatic components.

  15. - Top - End - #675
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    A269
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    "0 hit points and is dying" means you're not at "0 hit points and stable", and you must make death saving throws every turn as normal. Suffocation is very dangerous exactly for the reason that you can't stabilize until you can breathe again. Basically, suffocation can kill you as fast as in two rounds (1 x natural one + 1 failed save), despite your hit point maximum.
    It makes sense that if a suffocating creature fails death saving throws, it dies. But what happens if the creature succeeds on the death saving throws (while still not being able to breathe)? According to the death saving throws rules, the creature would become stable. But according to the suffocating rules, the creature can't be stabilized until it can breathe. So there's a contradiction.
    If you resolve the contradiction by specific (suffocation) beats general (death saving throws) then there's no point in making death saving throws because successful saving throws are useless.
    I think the problem is that the only two mechanics for "dying" are death saving throws and massive damage and neither works in the case of suffocation.

  16. - Top - End - #676
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erys's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    A269

    It makes sense that if a suffocating creature fails death saving throws, it dies. But what happens if the creature succeeds on the death saving throws (while still not being able to breathe)? According to the death saving throws rules, the creature would become stable. But according to the suffocating rules, the creature can't be stabilized until it can breathe. So there's a contradiction.
    If you resolve the contradiction by specific (suffocation) beats general (death saving throws) then there's no point in making death saving throws because successful saving throws are useless.
    I think the problem is that the only two mechanics for "dying" are death saving throws and massive damage and neither works in the case of suffocation.
    R269: Specific (suffocation) beats general (successful Death Save rules).

    As long as you are still drowning you cannot stabilize. The purpose of the Death Save is to see how long you last before you either A) get to breathable air, or B) die.


    Quote Originally Posted by PantsDragon View Post
    Q270


    As a Druid, if I have a staff which is my Druidic focus and functions as a quarterstaff, can I cast a spell with somatic and material components if my staff is in one hand and a shield in in the other?

    It seems that from PHB203 the hand holding the focus can be the same hand performing the somatic components.
    A270: I believe technically you can. Oddly, for spells that are have somatic requirements but not material, you would have to have a hand free.

    Quote Originally Posted by PHB 79

    Material (M)

    Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in chapter 5) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.

    If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell.

    A spellcaster must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-07-25 at 10:18 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #677
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A270: I believe technically you can. Oddly, for spells that are have somatic requirements but not material, you would have to have a hand free.
    As written, that actually makes a strange amount of sense. So for spells with Material and Somatic requirements I can cast with my staff and shield but if it’s only Somatic, I cannot.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by PantsDragon; 2017-07-25 at 10:30 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #678
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    R269: Specific (suffocation) beats general (successful Death Save rules).

    As long as you are still drowning you cannot stabilize. The purpose of the Death Save is to see how long you last before you either A) get to breathable air, or B) die.
    R269To put it another way, "can't stabilize" isn't the same as "can't roll a success on a death saving throw". If you roll three (or more) successes, you don't gain the benefit and stabilize, but at least you don't suffer the penalty of failing those saves and die (yet).

  19. - Top - End - #679
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Yes, it's another question about attacks and Uncanny Dodge. I'm sorry.

    Q271 Does Uncanny Dodge reduce the net damage from an attack, including extra effects, or just from the raw impact? For example, if I take 5 piercing damage and 10 poison damage from a poison arrow, do I take [5+10] /2 = 7, or do I take [5/2] + 10 = 12? Why?

    If it's the latter, what about an attack where none of the damage is impact damage, like a firebolt? Does your answer change, and why?

    Thanks!
    “I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.”
    - Lord Havelock Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork

  20. - Top - End - #680
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erys's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Yes, it's another question about attacks and Uncanny Dodge. I'm sorry.

    Q271 Does Uncanny Dodge reduce the net damage from an attack, including extra effects, or just from the raw impact? For example, if I take 5 piercing damage and 10 poison damage from a poison arrow, do I take [5+10] /2 = 7, or do I take [5/2] + 10 = 12? Why?

    If it's the latter, what about an attack where none of the damage is impact damage, like a firebolt? Does your answer change, and why?

    Thanks!
    A271: Uncanny Dodge is a reaction used against an Attack (something offensive against you using an Attack Roll); if the attack is a dagger with poison doing a total of 15 damage- the rogue takes 7 (rounding down) if he spends his reaction using Uncanny Dodge.

    The damage types associated with the Attack are moot in this instance; but may have merit if there are resistances or vulnerabilities at play.

  21. - Top - End - #681
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Alerad's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Tokyo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q272-a Can you hide while holding a torch or another light source?

    Q272-b What happens to the torch if you are Invisible (as per the spell)? Follow up question - esp. if you don't have darkvision?

  22. - Top - End - #682
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erys's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Alerad View Post
    Q272-a Can you hide while holding a torch or another light source?

    Q272-b What happens to the torch if you are Invisible (as per the spell)? Follow up question - esp. if you don't have darkvision?
    Be advised: the RAW on hiding is not 100% concrete.

    YMMV

    A272a: Technically yes. So long as you, yourself, are not in view of an enemy you can hide. Now, that said, if at any point the enemy moves to a vantage point where he might be able to Spot you- he does so automatically. Remember, while the rogue is technically hidden, the light is not and it will serve as a beacon to anyone able to see it.

    A272b: The torch itself goes invisible with the caster, but still sheds light that is visible to all. You cannot hide if you are invisible and holding a lit torch as you can never be, strictly speaking, hidden. (Unless you are also behind something as in the example above, naturally).

    (Having Darkvision or not is moot, ).
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-08-06 at 09:52 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #683
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Clockwork333's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q273


    I'm a fifth level ranger, I know four spells. I have 4, Level One spellslots, and 2 Level Two spellslots.

    I can still only cast four spells a day correct?

    I just have the option of using a higher level spellslot for two of them.

    I can't cast a 1st level spell and then cast it again next round as a 2nd level spell, am I understanding this properly?

  24. - Top - End - #684
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlackSymphony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Battle City

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q274:

    The Spell Alter Self is supposed to alter your shape, right? Does it include clothing? I had a use for Alter Self, but it involves getting rather big. (But not big enough to be a Large Creature)

  25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Millstone85's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    A273 No, you are mistaken.

    You have 6 spell slots, and regain expended spell slots on a long rest. That means you can cast 6 spells a day.

    And you can absolutely cast a 1st-level spell and then cast it again next round as a 2nd-level spell.

    Spell slots in 5e are a mana system.

  26. - Top - End - #686
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork333 View Post
    Q273


    I'm a fifth level ranger, I know four spells. I have 4, Level One spellslots, and 2 Level Two spellslots.

    I can still only cast four spells a day correct?

    I just have the option of using a higher level spellslot for two of them.

    I can't cast a 1st level spell and then cast it again next round as a 2nd level spell, am I understanding this properly?
    A273
    No. You still know, and can cast, a spell after you cast it. You can cast from your known spells as long as you have a spell slot, so you can cast up to six spells per day, picking from your known spells.

  27. - Top - End - #687
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q275does barkskin stack with armor, shield, and dex?

  28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arkhios's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q275does barkskin stack with armor, shield, and dex?
    No. RAW, Barkskin sets your minimum AC to 16.

    However, I know that quite a few DMs (myself and mine included) lets the Shield stack with Barkskin.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-08-13 at 09:35 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #689
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Swamp of Oblivion
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q276

    Is there a published (UA or Splatbook) warlock subclass for making a pact with a kraken or similar underwater powers?
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-08-15 at 08:07 PM.
    Spoiler: To My Fellow Empire Players and GM
    Show
    I may tend to come across as negative, as I usually post when something is wrong or to winge, but I really like this game so far and I'm having loads of fun. Thank you everyone for making it such a great experience!


    Quote Originally Posted by DM
    You are walking down the hallways following the map. You make a left turn, two right turns, step over a tripwire, and turn into a secret door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player
    I turn into a secret door? Dang the traps in this place are OP!

  30. - Top - End - #690
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Godshoe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

    Q277 roguish ASSASSINATE says
    Starting at 3rd levei, you are at your deadliest when you
    get the drop on your enemies. Vou have advantage on
    attack rolls against any creature that hasn't taken a turn
    in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against
    a creature that is surprised is a criticai hit.
    Could creature be surprised more than once per battle? If rogue sneak, running to different direction and hit from new position, for example.
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •