New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

A 315
    On page 202 of the PHB, it says that when you cast a spell with a casting time greater than one action, you use your action on every turn to cast the spell. Attempting to cast a ritual in the astral refuge would use your two actions toward casting the spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q316
    Can Lay on Hands (5 points) cure the poisoned condition? Specifically that caused by a wild magic surge (73-74).

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Varlon View Post
    Q316
    Can Lay on Hands (5 points) cure the poisoned condition? Specifically that caused by a wild magic surge (73-74).
    A316 I'm fairly sure this is redundant, but anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by PHB p.84: Lay on Hands
    ..., you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it...
    Poison is Poison (likewise, Poisoned is Poisoned). It doesn't matter which source gave you the effect.

So, yes. Lay on Hands can (and will) cure the Poisoned condition from a wild magic surge as well as from any other source.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #784
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q317 Most racial things does pass over to Wildshape, but does that count for Long-limbed for Bugbear or the 1d12 resistance for Goliath?

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 317: Not quite RAW, but racial traits that aren't specific to anatomy can be used with Wildshape. https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...13450645979136

Given this, I would say that Long-limbed would not work. I can't tell you about the Goliath's resistance though.

Q 318: If a Trickery Cleric had Invoke Duplicity active when they bodily entered an Antimagic Field, would they be able to cast spells from their duplicate while it is outside the field?

Normally Antimagic Field doesn't stop concentration on magic effects, so the duplicate has that going for them. The problem is whether Invoke Duplicity counts as an effect on the cleric or its own independent effect. Channel Divinity effects are explicitly called out as magical.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

A 309
    The range of the touch spell is now 30 feet but it is still a melee spell attack. For example, thorn whip has a range but still requires a melee spell attack roll.
    Last edited by greenstone; 2017-09-26 at 08:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #787

Q319

Bard College of Satire Tumbling Fool ability lets you take the Dash action among other things as a Bonus action. this still leaves your action open could you also in the same turn Just take the Dash action ?

so say your speed is 30, and you move your speed, then you use Dash, move another 30, then tumbling fool and move another 30 for a total of 90ft in one turn ?
    Last edited by SaA; 2017-09-28 at 08:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788

RangerGuy

A319
    Yes. Here's a Sage Advice about the very similar Cunning Action/Step of the Wind.
    Last edited by Varlon; 2017-09-28 at 08:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q320

Can 2 players grapple the same creature?

Q320 b

Extension to the question...

Can 2 players grapple the same 2 creatures.

Scenario

A group of 2 barbarians and 4 squishies come up against 2 creatures resistant to normal weapons, and no one has any magic weapons.

Previously I have had 1 barb hold 2 foe.

2 raging barbs (advantage on strength) each grapple 1 foe.

B1+F1 and B2+F2

Assuming successful, on the next round can they both grapple the foe their comrade is grappling?

B1+F1&F2 and B2+F2&F1

Q320 c

And does that mean the foe, if grappled by 2 creatures, has to make 1 or 2 checks to free themself?

10. - Top - End - #790
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I believe that in that situation, one grappler would be considered to be helping the other, but I could be wrong.

11. - Top - End - #791

A320 Yes to all (note: Have in mind that to make the check the new to spend their action -normally-, so they won't be able to escape from both in one turn by normal means) -Unless you get some way to force movement on the grappler or yourself.

Q321, can an Eldrith Knight Fighter lvl 7 with 1 lvl in Death Cleric, could use its Action to use a Necromancy cantrip (chill touch - Toll the dead) to 2 creatures that are at 5 of each other, and then use its bonus action to make a weapon attack (with the War Magic ability)?

12. - Top - End - #792
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    A320 Yes to all (note: Have in mind that to make the check the new to spend their action -normally-, so they won't be able to escape from both in one turn by normal means) -Unless you get some way to force movement on the grappler or yourself.
    Thank you.

That was what I was hoping would be the case.

2 characters both grappling the same 2 foe making that said foe would basically be unable to escape in 1 turn.

13. - Top - End - #793

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Thank you.

That was what I was hoping would be the case.

2 characters both grappling the same 2 foe making that said foe would basically be unable to escape in 1 turn.
    Yeah, kind of... (unless they can teleport -one way or the other- force movement on himself or force movement on both of you at the same time)
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-10-02 at 09:56 AM.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q 321 i believe...

Maybe I am just missing something but the Defensive Duelist Feat can only be used once in a round?

I shoot, I move, I use my bonus to “do something ‘bonusy’ “ then I am attacked/hit with the exact die roll needed by the next monster in initiative order and I use my reaction to defeat it with (DD) Defensive Duelist. Another Monster next hits me later in this round/turn with exactly the die roll needed but since I used my reaction in this turn I cannot use DD again this turn, right?

Would be nice if it were so but doesn’t read that way to me, others think it does. What is the RAW/RAI usage of DD in a single combat round/turn, please?
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

15. - Top - End - #795

ClericGuy

A321

It works as you described it, it is not the equivalent of a shield spell.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

16. - Top - End - #796

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    Maybe I am just missing something but the Defensive Duelist Feat can only be used once in a round?

I shoot, I move, I use my bonus to “do something ‘bonusy’ “ then I am attacked/hit with the exact die roll needed by the next monster in initiative order and I use my reaction to defeat it with (DD) Defensive Duelist. Another Monster next hits me later in this round/turn with exactly the die roll needed but since I used my reaction in this turn I cannot use DD again this turn, right?

Would be nice if it were so but doesn’t read that way to me, others think it does. What is the RAW/RAI usage of DD in a single combat round/turn, please?
    Yes, its only once per round (As it consumes your reaction, and you only have one reaction per turn -that also means you won't be able to use your OA)

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 322
    Do we resolve the reaction attack given by the Sentinel feat before the foe's attack which has triggered it? For instance, if a foe attack a valid ally, and if the Sentinel attack kills the foe, is the foe's attack still resolved?

Q 323
    Does a spellcaster requires to keep a "clear path to" the area of effect of an active concentration spell? For instance, if a druid cast a Flaming Sphere, does he need to keep a line of sight to the Sphere in order to keep it up? And in order to move it?

Q 324
    Same question for a non-concentration spell that can be moved or modified, like Spirit Weapon.

Q 325
    Does a Spirit Weapon occupy a space?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protčgent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

18. - Top - End - #798

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Q 322
    Do we resolve the reaction attack given by the Sentinel feat before the foe's attack which has triggered it? For instance, if a foe attack a valid ally, and if the Sentinel attack kills the foe, is the foe's attack still resolved?
    For you to get the Sentinel attack, they need to attack, so Sentinel attack trigger after your ally was hit.

Q 323
    Does a spellcaster requires to keep a "clear path to" the area of effect of an active concentration spell? For instance, if a druid cast a Flaming Sphere, does he need to keep a line of sight to the Sphere in order to keep it up? And in order to move it?
    You need to see where you are moving it, i don't think you need to see the sphere though.

Q 324
    Same question for a non-concentration spell that can be moved or modified, like Spirit Weapon.
    Need to watch where it goes

Q 325
    Does a Spirit Weapon occupy a space?
    Only if the spell says it does (Like the Guardian of Faith), in case of Spiritual Weapon, it doesn't

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

For you to get the Sentinel attack, they need to attack, so Sentinel attack trigger after your ally was hit.

Need to watch where it goes

Only if the spell says it does (Like the Guardian of Faith), in case of Spiritual Weapon, it doesn't
    Thanks

You need to see where you are moving it, i don't think you need to see the sphere though.
    But do you need to see it to keep concentrating on it?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protčgent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

20. - Top - End - #800
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q326 A Paladin's divine sense can locate an invisible undead creature. Does the pally still have disadvantage on the attack?

21. - Top - End - #801

RangerGuy

A326 Yes. Attacks against a target you cannot see are at disadvantage even if you know their location.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Pixie in the Playground

Q327 Can a flask of oil be deposited on the ground where a creature is currently occupying the space?
    You can also pour a flask of oil on the ground to cover a 5-foot-square area, provided that the surface is level.

23. - Top - End - #803

Q328 If a caster is maintaining concentration on a spell and they get knocked prone/shoved does that force a concentration check even though no damage occurred?

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ettin in the Playground

A328 No. What makes you think it would?

25. - Top - End - #805

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    Q328 If a caster is maintaining concentration on a spell and they get knocked prone/shoved does that force a concentration check even though no damage occurred?
    I believe that fall into DM discretion as the DM may decide to make you roll for a con save whenever something may disrupt it, be it a bad climate, like an earthquake or something like that, or a big storm, so i would say... in most cases, you do. (but only for the base DC 10)

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Well, I didn't state that I think anything. I'll entertain your question though. I'm aware that RL can't be used to determine RAW but getting slammed/tripped/shoved to the ground just seems like that would disturb an individual's concentration on just about anything.

27. - Top - End - #807

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Are you sure about that? i mean... there are rules about earthquakes, moving platforms and things like those that could force the caster to make a con save, so i don't see it out of RAW to say they would need to (Note: Nothing mentions it in detail, but it may be RAI)

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you sure about that? i mean... there are rules about earthquakes, moving platforms and things like those that could force the caster to make a con save, so i don't see it out of RAW to say they would need to (Note: Nothing mentions it in detail, but it may be RAI)
    RAI certainly, but RAW concerns itself with what is written, and it doesn't say that knocking someone Prone forces a check. You are correct that there are circumstances that can lead to the DM calling for a check outside of damage, but that puts it in "Ask Your DM" territory, not "yes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

29. - Top - End - #809

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    RAI certainly, but RAW concerns itself with what is written, and it doesn't say that knocking someone Prone forces a check. You are correct that there are circumstances that can lead to the DM calling for a check outside of damage, but that puts it in "Ask Your DM" territory, not "yes."
    I agree, but not does it put it in a No, either, having in mind what RAW mentions (how it points out that things like moving terrain could make you force a save, so in theory the same should apply), in the end, the only "RAW" answer we could give is "Ask your DM", as there may not be any certain answer there.

Note: Actually... after re-reading it, it may be more RAW to say just No. (so... yeah, you may ignore me)
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-10-06 at 03:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q329 if someone is invisible, totally obscured, or you're just blind, all you get is disadvantage on your attacks really. You know where they are and can target them, correct?