New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Tellah View Post
    Q 27

Let's make a really silly NPC. It has the monster ability to make a reaction on every creatures turn, and it has Spell Mastery with the shield spell, allowing it to cast shield without using a spell slot.

So is it legal to stack a shield spell on every turn they get attacked, quickly boosting their AC to levels unhittable on an attack roll without a crit? The shield doesn't use concentration, and has no caveat against casting it multiple times.
    A27: No, even if you create a monster that for some reason can cast a spell as a reaction every turn in a round, like bonuses do not stack. It would benefit from the first casting of Shield only.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhuraal View Post
    Q9: Applies to multiple monsters but I will use Kobolds for the example here. A kobold per the Monster Manual has a spear and can use it as a melee weapon or a thrown weapon. If the kobold throws the spear, is it now weaponless, or is it handwaved as unlimited ammunition? Or am I blind and missing an ammunition count?

* Edit, cited the wrong book
    A9:[expanding]MM page 11 says, under Ammunition, that a monster carries enough ammunition to make its ranged attacks. You can assume that a monster had 2d4 pieces of ammunition for a thrown weapon attack, and 2d10 pieces of ammunition for a projectile weapon like a bow or crossbow.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q28

Paladin Find Steed allows you to choose the type of the steed (celestial, fey, or fiend). When applying it
    1) Does it replace the type Beast or does it add to it? Meaning it would be Beast and Celestial (or fey or fiend)
    2) Does it give the type abilities? So if fey are immune to charm, is it immune to charm? Does it detect as fey (Divine sense)?

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
    Q28

Paladin Find Steed allows you to choose the type of the steed (celestial, fey, or fiend). When applying it
    1) Does it replace the type Beast or does it add to it? Meaning it would be Beast and Celestial (or fey or fiend)
    2) Does it give the type abilities? So if fey are immune to charm, is it immune to charm? Does it detect as fey (Divine sense)?
    A28: The mount is a celestial, fey, or fiend; not a beast. The spirit takes the form of a horse* and for all intents and purposes is that animal... the only exceptions are: it is smarter with an Int of 6, can understand you verbally, and can communicate telepathically. The mount will be detected with abilities like Divine Sense.

*- More accurately it is a warhorse, pony, camel, elk, or mastiff; your choice.

5. - Top - End - #65

ElfMonkGuy

Q29
    The Ranger's 15th Level defensive ability, one of them is called Stand Against the Tide and states that:
    "When a hostile creature
    misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction
    to force that creature to repeat the same attack against
    another creature (other than itself) of your choice."

Therefore can I get an enemy to attack another enemy?

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyninja View Post
    Q29
    The Ranger's 15th Level defensive ability, one of them is called Stand Against the Tide and states that:
    "When a hostile creature
    misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction
    to force that creature to repeat the same attack against
    another creature (other than itself) of your choice."

Therefore can I get an enemy to attack another enemy?
    A29: Yeppers!

7. - Top - End - #67

Q30: Would it be legal for a level 3 kobold BM ranger to ride a vulture companion? (I say kobold because they are the lightest PC race officially released as of yet)

Also, If it IS legal, what limitations are there?
    Last edited by Arenabait; 2017-01-25 at 05:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Arenabait View Post
    Q30: Would it be legal for a level 3 kobold BM ranger to ride a vulture companion? (I say kobold because they are the lightest PC race officially released as of yet)

Also, If it IS legal, what limitations are there?
    A30: It is legal for a BM ranger to ride his animal companion.

That said, it is entirely up to the DM on whether or not you would be allowed to ride a vulture and it still be able to fly.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Q31: In the Revised Ranger UA, the rules for beast companions allow their stats to improve when you get an ASI:
    Whenever you gain the Ability Score Improvement class feature, your companion’s abilities also improve. Your companion can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or it can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1.
    Effectively, the companion is getting an ASI here as well, but they don't use that term for it. Assuming you're playing with feats, can you elect to swap this pseudo-ASI for a feat for the companion instead, as you can for PCs?
    If you believe that your thoughts originate inside your brain --
    do you also believe that television shows are made inside your television set?

- Warren Ellis

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

A 31 No, for exactly the reason you gave. The section on the optional rule for feats says "you" can replace the Ability Score Improvement feature with a feat. It specifically says what you can do for your beast when you gain an ASI. So the RAW is clear.

Even, if your beast was also getting an ASI (using that verbiage) it would still be questionable simply because the feat section says "you", i.e. your character; not his minions.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    A 31 No, for exactly the reason you gave. The section on the optional rule for feats says "you" can replace the Ability Score Improvement feature with a feat. It specifically says what you can do for your beast when you gain an ASI. So the RAW is clear.

Even, if your beast was also getting an ASI (using that verbiage) it would still be questionable simply because the feat section says "you", i.e. your character; not his minions.
    Q32 If this is the case, does the companion still gain an ASI if you take a feat instead?

12. - Top - End - #72

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Arenabait View Post
    Q32 If this is the case, does the companion still gain an ASI if you take a feat instead?
    Yes. The companion isn't gaining an ASI, it's using a separate feature which grants it +2 to an ability score at the set levels. The result may be the same but as written it is NOT an ASI. What the ranger does has no impact on this feature.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2017-01-26 at 04:19 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q33

This pertains to the restrained condition specifically, but it applies in general as well. The condition specifically states that restrained creatures have disadvantage to Dexterity saving throws. Do they also have disadvantage to Dexterity ability checks?

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by MrWesson22 View Post
    Q33

This pertains to the restrained condition specifically, but it applies in general as well. The condition specifically states that restrained creatures have disadvantage to Dexterity saving throws. Do they also have disadvantage to Dexterity ability checks?
    A33: No only Dexterity saving throws.
    Yan
    D&D Playtester

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

Q34: when bladelock with thirsting blade cast Green-Flame/Booming Blade he make mele atack only once?
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

A 34 Yes, only once. To get two attacks, you have to take the attack action but you are casting a spell with your action. That spell then grants you only one attack.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Halfling in the Playground

Q35: Swarm of Ravens have <..reach 5 ft., one target in the swarm's space..> So does it have reach and can attack near area or it must occupy target's space like over swarms?
    Not very clear point, as for me. Should it be read like "reach 5 ft., one target or one target in the swarm's space"?
    MM Errata says nothing to this, but they refined other details about swarms so they definitely can't miss it.
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Q 36 Does a Major Image of a thick stone wall muffle sound the way a real one would since Major Images include auditory effects?
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-01-30 at 09:08 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Godshoe View Post
    Q35: Swarm of Ravens have <..reach 5 ft., one target in the swarm's space..> So does it have reach and can attack near area or it must occupy target's space like over swarms?
    Not very clear point, as for me. Should it be read like "reach 5 ft., one target or one target in the swarm's space"?
    MM Errata says nothing to this, but they refined other details about swarms so they definitely can't miss it.
    A35: Almost certainly a typo on the reach entry of the raven swarm. All other swarms, including flying swarms like bats, have a reach of 0. Best to play it like that.

Q 36 Does a Major Image of a thick stone wall muffle sound the way a real one would since Major Images include auditory effects?
    A36: Including auditory effects does not mean it includes auditory cancelling effects.

Things can pass through the illusion unimpeded, including sound.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

Q37 Can you make a bonus melee attack with a weapon in your main hand (ie. an attack without adding Ability Bonus to Damage)? Let's say a Cleric use his Action to cast Bless and then wants to make an attack with his bonus action, but he is only carrying a weapon in his main hand. Would that be possible? I realise it's called off-hand attack, not bonus attack, but it seems strange to me if you can't attack if you hold your hammer in one hand, but if you switch hands, then you can actually attack.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseontheloose View Post
    Q37 Can you make a bonus melee attack with a weapon in your main hand (ie. an attack without adding Ability Bonus to Damage)? Let's say a Cleric use his Action to cast Bless and then wants to make an attack with his bonus action, but he is only carrying a weapon in his main hand. Would that be possible? I realise it's called off-hand attack, not bonus attack, but it seems strange to me if you can't attack if you hold your hammer in one hand, but if you switch hands, then you can actually attack.
    A37: Nope.

Even if you switched hands it wouldn't work.

The above circumstance actually violates several pre-reqs for attacking with a bonus action via 'two weapon fighting'. You actually have to hold two weapons, both have to have the 'light' property, and you have to use the attack action with your action to get the bonus action attack.
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-01-30 at 07:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Q 38 Can you do something with your Mage Hand on the same turn that you cast it or do you have to summon it and wait until your next turn to actually use it?

23. - Top - End - #83

Q 38 Can you do something with your Mage Hand on the same turn that you cast it or do you have to summon it and wait until your next turn to actually use it?
    A38: You need to wait until your next turn since casting and controlling a mage hand both takes an action.
    Yan
    D&D Playtester

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q39 Because elves are 'semiconscious' in trance (PHB23) does this mean that during trance an elf is never 'unconscious' (PHB292)?

Q40 Does this in turn mean that an elf with 15 levels of barbarian can use Persistent Rage to continue to rage while in trance? (PHB49)

Q41 Going by the text of Blindsight (MM8), it is heavily implied that an intellect devourer (MM191) is naturally blind. Does that mean that Devour Intellect actually never functions because the intellect devourer can never truly 'see' a creature?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

25. - Top - End - #85

Q39 Because elves are 'semiconscious' in trance (PHB23) does this mean that during trance an elf is never 'unconscious' (PHB292)?

Q40 Does this in turn mean that an elf with 15 levels of barbarian can use Persistent Rage to continue to rage while in trance? (PHB49)

Q41 Going by the text of Blindsight (MM8), it is heavily implied that an intellect devourer (MM191) is naturally blind. Does that mean that Devour Intellect actually never functions because the intellect devourer can never truly 'see' a creature?
    A39: No official rule that I am aware of, up to the DM.

A40: Also up to the DM; it is a safe bet to say if you did that you would not be able to 'rest' though.

A41: I don't really understand what you mean by 'never functions'; Blindsight is a type of sense that it uses to "see" with.

26. - Top - End - #86

PirateGuy

A40. Theoretically, maybe. Whether or not a DM allows this is questionable, but RAW would not necessarily indicate it is not possible. That said, it is rather unimportant, since Persistent Rage only says "...your rage is so fierce that it ends early only if you fall Unconscious or if you choose to end it." This does nothing to change the 1 minute duration of a rage. It just stops it from ending prematurely due to you not attacking or being attacked.
    Last edited by jas61292; 2017-02-01 at 01:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87

BardGuy

Q42 (More a curiosity, really.)

The PHB and DMG have quite a lot "...until you take a short rest or a long rest". Is there anything that is triggered by a short rest, but not a long rest, where the long rest effect doesn't render the short rest effect moot (e.g. getting one spell slot back on a short rest, but all of them back on a long rest).

Related (call it Q42a): is there any reason to use the longer phrasing, over "...until you take a rest", or a note saying that anything that happens on a short rest can also happen on a long rest?
    Last edited by Capt Spanner; 2017-02-01 at 09:39 AM. Reason: (I forgot a close parenthesis.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Q43:
    Does innate spellcasting require an action?
    Last edited by BeefGood; 2017-02-01 at 12:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

A 43 You have to look at the description of that ability. Specific over-rides general so if it doesn't specifically say otherwise, it takes the same action or time as the spell normally takes.

Many abilities say "Can cast this spell without material components" which means everything else applies--verbal components, somatic components, and takes the same action or time to cast as the spell says in its description.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-02-02 at 12:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Spanner View Post
    Q42 (More a curiosity, really.)

The PHB and DMG have quite a lot "...until you take a short rest or a long rest". Is there anything that is triggered by a short rest, but not a long rest, where the long rest effect doesn't render the short rest effect moot (e.g. getting one spell slot back on a short rest, but all of them back on a long rest).

Related (call it Q42a): is there any reason to use the longer phrasing, over "...until you take a rest", or a note saying that anything that happens on a short rest can also happen on a long rest?
    A42 No.
    42a: To be thorough. There are always people who would try to read more than what is written after all.