New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #961
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q391 I cast Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, the creature makes it save. Next round, do I have to spend an action trying to grab that same creature or does it just happen?
    QA31 Strictly by RAW, and assuming the first save, you would be forced to target a different creature, as the spell has no provisions for trying again against the same target, automatically or otherwise.

"As an action, you can cause the hand to crush the restrained target"

"As an action, you can cause the hand to reach for a different creature"

That is, however, dumb, and I would suggest the RAI of "You can spend your action to try again against the same target".

2. - Top - End - #962
    Halfling in the Playground

Q392 Does the Dual Wielder grant the option of drawing/stowing or stowing/drawing the same weapon as a free object interaction, or can this only be used to make one of those interactions, but to two weapons?

Dual Wielder

You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:

You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
    You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one handed melee weapons you are wielding aren’t light.
    You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.

IMO the wording is such that the interactions need to be with two separate weapons; however, on the other hand, it also leaves open the possibility of drawing one weapon and stowing another, at which point it would be kind of arbitrary to not let the PC spend those two interactions on the same weapon.

EDIT: Just came up with another question

Q393 Does the Monk's Tongue of the Sun and Moon feature prevent you from covertly communicating with someone in a language that others don't understand? E.g. if a Monk speaks in Elvish to someone, do bystanders who only understand Common pick up what the Monk is saying?

Tongue of the Sun and Moon

Starting at 13th level, you learn to touch the ki of other minds so that you understand all spoken languages. Moreover, any creature that can understand a language can understand what you say.
    Last edited by Platypusbill; 2017-12-05 at 09:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Troll in the Playground

A 392 Two different weapons. Some might even argue it has to be at the same time based on the idea that you only get one free action per turn but I think most DMs would be flexible about that timing since it's not a big deal.

A 393 By RAW, you can't turn it off. So far DMs have been allowing me to control it. It is kind of bizarre otherwise.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

4. - Top - End - #964
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q 394

If you happen to be a level 5 fighter/3 ranger(Gloom stalker), and use action surge the first round of combat, do you get 6 attacks, or 5 attacks? I am refering to Dread Ambusher which grants an extra attack when you use the attack action. Action surge lets's you use two attacktion.

5. - Top - End - #965

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sno View Post
    Q 394

If you happen to be a level 5 fighter/3 ranger(Gloom stalker), and use action surge the first round of combat, do you get 6 attacks, or 5 attacks? I am refering to Dread Ambusher which grants an extra attack when you use the attack action. Action surge lets's you use two attacktion.
    A 394
    Dread Ambusher contains no rider that it can only happen once in a turn (compare Sneak Attack). Therefore, you would make 6 attacks given the scenario.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 395

Can an Abjuration Wizard use his Projected Ward on a Phantom Steed?
    Last edited by Rub; 2017-12-07 at 12:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #967

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rub View Post
    Q 395

Can an Abjuration Wizard use his Projected Ward on a Phantom Steed?
    A 395

Yes, Phantom Steed specifically calls out that it creates a "creature", which is the only targeting factor in Projected ward.

8. - Top - End - #968

Q396 What if I have a Homunculus from the spell "Create Homunculus", and the party cleric casts an "Aid" spell on me before a short rest. During that short rest, I increase my Homunculus' HP maximum. What goes on here?

9. - Top - End - #969
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q397 Can a level 13 warlock who took Finger of Death as 7th level Mystic Arcanum cast Plane Shift from a scroll?
    Last edited by Pharaon; 2017-12-08 at 08:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q398 In regard to Arcane Recovery, a 3rd level wizard can recover how many slots?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2017-12-08 at 09:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Troll in the Playground

A 397 Yes. It's on the warlock spell list.

A 398 2 levels worth, so either a 2nd level spell or two 1st level spells.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

12. - Top - End - #972

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Arenabait View Post
    Q396 What if I have a Homunculus from the spell "Create Homunculus", and the party cleric casts an "Aid" spell on me before a short rest. During that short rest, I increase my Homunculus' HP maximum. What goes on here?

A396
    A: You have 5 more hit points with which your Homunculus' HP could be increased.

B: Assuming you mean that "what happens if my Homunculus' HP are increased such that the expiration of Aid would drop my HP maxiumum to 0?" then the following: The "Create Homunculus" spell states that only the process of transferring hp cannot reduce you to 0, So Aid's expiration could, however unlikely, reduce your hit point maximum to 0.

There isn't a general rule for what happens if your hp maximum becomes 0, but every effect that does so says that you die if that effect reduces your HP Maximum to 0. What happens is up to your DM, but a likely scenario is that you die. You perform no death saves, you do not cross Go nor collect 200GP. Your death causes your homunculus to die, which restores your normal hit point total. You do not return to life, as this transfer does not heal you. You could be resurrected as normal, but your homunculus remains dead (of course).

[red for "Not RAW"]

13. - Top - End - #973
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q399 combat is starting and initiative is being rolled. The wizard is two rooms back and can't see/hear what's happening. Is he still a part of the initiative? Does the wizard having the alert Feat change this?

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

A399

There's no rule for this. DM's interpretation. If the wizard wishes to take actions during the fight, then he should roll initiative; otherwise, if there's no chance the fight could come to him or vice versa, there's not much point.

If the wizard might join the fight at some point, then the DM can either have him roll initiative right away or wait until the fight is actually joined. But if he hasn't rolled initiative, it may be hard to tell exactly when that occurs.

Powers &8^]

15. - Top - End - #975
    Halfling in the Playground

Q400: invocation from Xanathar says
    GIFT OF THE EVER-LIVING ONES
    Prerequisite: Pact of the Chain feature
    Whenever you regain hit points while your familiar is
    within 100 feet of you, treat any dice rolled to determine
    the hit points you regain as having rolled their maximum
    value for you.
    Does this mean that I can maximize all the dice or should I choose only one?
    Last edited by Godshoe; 2017-12-09 at 07:22 PM.
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 401

Is it possible for one character to help another on an initiative check?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

17. - Top - End - #977

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Godshoe View Post
    Q400: invocation from Xanathar says

Does this mean that I can maximize all the dice or should I choose only one?
    A400 Maximize all dice you choose to roll

18. - Top - End - #978

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 401

Is it possible for one character to help another on an initiative check?
    A401 Technically yes, as initiative is a skill check. In practice, no, as this would require some strange circumstance where you were taking actions, and initiative had not yet been rolled, such that you could do so.

Personally, I would allow it in a dungeon scenario where characters are choosing what to spend their time doing. Person A is investigating a sarcophagus, Person B is attempting to disable a trap, and Person C is keeping a lookout- Essentially taking the "Help" action for a single ally's initiative. Why not.
    [Red=Not RAW]

19. - Top - End - #979
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q402 can you target someone with a spell through a wall of fire?

20. - Top - End - #980
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q403 Web spell collapses if it's not 'layered across a floor'. What does that mean?

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q402 can you target someone with a spell through a wall of fire?
    A402. No, as per description "The wall is opaque" which means you can't see through it. If you can't see your target, you can't target it with a spell.

Q403 Web spell collapses if it's not 'layered across a floor'. What does that mean?
    A403. For example, you can't spread it across a chasm in the floor to form a "bridge of web", because there's not floor that could support the web.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-10 at 04:15 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #982
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A402 what if you had blindsight?

23. - Top - End - #983
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q404 does an unseen servant take up a 5ft space, meaning nothing can move into that space, and perhaps allies would move through it as difficult terrain?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2017-12-10 at 05:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q405 Is unseen servant subject to a web spell?

25. - Top - End - #985
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q406 can unseen servant move any more than 15feet in a round?

26. - Top - End - #986
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q407 There's a spell in the Book of Lost Spells called Augment Flames. Material components call for an ordinary fire to be present. Would a torch be considered an ordinary fire?

27. - Top - End - #987

DrowGirl

A402b
    Sure
    A404
    As a "shapeless force", the spell does not specify that it is a creature. That it specifies the Unseen Servant appears in an unoccupied space suggests it follows the rules for creatures, but those interactions are ultimately up to the DM.
    A405
    No, the Unseen Servant is not a creature, and you simply "move it" 15 feet with a bonus action. It does not possess movement on its own.
    A406
    If you have a means of generating additional bonus actions.
    A407
    This thread does not deal with third-party supplements. (however, a torch is probably as ordinary as a fire gets, without further qualification)
    Last edited by Hyde; 2017-12-10 at 06:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A402. No, as per description "The wall is opaque" which means you can't see through it. If you can't see your target, you can't target it with a spell.
    That's not entirely accurate. Many spells say "a target you can see" or something to that effect. Not all spells require you to see your target. Spells that require an attack roll generally don't (you can firebolt with disadvantage if you can't see the target) and Acid Splash comes to mind as an excellent spell that doesn't involve an attack and seems intended to be more useful in just such a circumstance. The common words "that you can see" are pointedly exempt from its description and this seems very intentional and fitting with the nature of the spell.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    A406
    If you have a means of generating additional bonus actions.
    There are no such means. Each character is explicitly limited to a single bonus action per round.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2017-12-11 at 01:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #990

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    There are no such means. Each character is explicitly limited to a single bonus action per round.

Powers &8^]
    I was pretty sure that was to be the case, but my answer addresses any possible case of homebrew or future releases, and doesn't require scouring every sourcebook for potential exceptions to the general rule in the exceptions-based rule system.