New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #991
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Q408I cast Dispel Magic on a wizard that has Mirror Image up along with some other buffs. The spell says that every spell 3rd level or lower is dispelled. But how can that be if I instead target a duplicate?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2017-12-12 at 02:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q408. I cast Dispel Magic on a wizard that has Mirror Image up along with some other buffs. The spell says that every spell 3rd level or lower is dispelled. But how can that be if I instead target a duplicate?
    A408. That duplicate is very essential part of a magical effect created by a 2nd level spell. Of course the whole thing is dispelled.

Ps. don't forget to number your questions. And for future, if you have multiple questions in mind, just compile them into one post, instead of polluting the thread with several posts.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-12 at 07:10 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #993
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

A408 Addendum: More directly, Mirror Image specifically protects against attacks, which Dispel Magic is not. Similarly, any spell that does not require an attack roll would affect the wizard in question normally.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A408 what about the other spells that are up?

5. - Top - End - #995

DrowGirl

A408 what about the other spells that are up?
    What about them? Dispel magic resolves normally. You can't "target" a duplicate with the spell.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q408b what about the other spells that are up?
    A408b. Each spell that would be susceptible to Dispel Magic gets dispelled separately. Dispel Magic's effect doesn't end at first spell having been dispelled. Any ≈ All in this regard.
    As said above, the target of your Dispel Magic isn't the *duplicate* created by Mirror Image. The target is the subject under the effect of Mirror Image.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-12 at 07:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A408 Addendum: More directly, Mirror Image specifically protects against attacks, which Dispel Magic is not. Similarly, any spell that does not require an attack roll would affect the wizard in question normally.
    So, magic missle would affect normally?

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

So, magic missle would affect normally?
    Yes. Magic Missile deals damage to the target directly, without an attack roll. It's basically a "homing missile"
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

9. - Top - End - #999
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A408 what about grappling or shoving? There's no attack roll, yet they are both considered attacks....

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Orc in the Playground

Q409 Can an Eldritch Knight 7 cast an Attack cantrip (Firebolt, Booming Blade, GFB) and throw a net as a bonus action?
    Last edited by BobZan; 2017-12-14 at 01:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1001

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by BobZan View Post
    Q409 Can an Eldritch Knight 7 cast an Attack cantrip (Firebolt, Booming Blade, GFB) and throw a net as a bonus action?
    Yes. A net is treated is a weapon, therefore throwing it counts as a weapon attack, allowed by the War Magic ability.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Troll in the Playground

A 408 There are two criteria to use to determine whether something is considered an attack.

1) It's explicitly referred to as an attack in the RAW. Grappling and shoving fall into this category under the "Making an Attack" section.
    2) It has an attack roll. From p.194: "If there’s ever any question whether something you’re doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you’re making an attack roll, you’re making an attack."
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-12-14 at 04:51 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    A 408 There are two criteria to use to determine whether something is considered an attack.

1) It's explicitly referred to as an attack in the RAW. Grappling and shoving fall into this category under the "Making an Attack" section.
    2) It has an attack roll. From p.194: "If there’s ever any question whether something you’re doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you’re making an attack roll, you’re making an attack."
    Indeed, there's no question grappling and shoving are attacks. I think the question is how do you resolve such an attack on a mirror image? The images have AC, but no other stats with which to resist a grapple or shove attempt.

Powers &8^]

14. - Top - End - #1004

DrowGirl

A408-a

Grapple and Shove are explicitly attacks, as has been said, and per "Each time a creature Targets you with an Attack during the spell's Duration, roll a d20 to determine whether the Attack instead Targets one of your duplicates." They should be able to be redirected to a duplicate.

Grapple and Shove do not "hit", they simply succeed or fail. Per "A duplicate can be destroyed only by an Attack that hits it. It ignores all other damage and effects." The duplicate would not be destroyed, and the grapple or shove would be wasted.

Incidentally, if they were hit with an attack that did not do damage, they would be destroyed.

It would seem reasonable to me to rule that the duplicates are destroyed if a creature attempts a grapple or shove against them, but it is not RAW.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

Re: A 408
    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    I think the question is how do you resolve such an attack on a mirror image? The images have AC, but no other stats with which to resist a grapple or shove attempt.
    My bad. It wasn't clear that this was a continuation of a previous question. I answered it in isolation.

I agree that a grapple or shove could be misdirected to a duplicate but wouldn't end the duplicate because they can't "hit".

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

16. - Top - End - #1006

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Galgano View Post
    I would like to know what happens when I combine Silent Image (Level 1 spell) with Illusory Reality (Illusion Wizard Level 14 skill). Specifically, can I make the illusion of a door in a wall, use illusory reality to make it real and go through it. Or, will the door shatter to pieces as soon as I make it real because it's sharing the same space as the wall?
    A 410.
    Please follow the rules for this thread when posting, and mark your post as appropriate.

This would largely require a DM ruling, but a likely scenario is that the door would exist within the stone wall, as nothing about the illusion would replace the wall, or you might have a door that opens onto just more wall, if one assumes you can only create an illusion in a space you can see. There is not really a reason the door would be destroyed, but sure, why not?

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 411 Because elves don't 'sleep' do they ignore the rules for sleeping in armor?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A 411 Because elves don't 'sleep' do they ignore the rules for sleeping in armor?
    Nitpick: Questions are labeled with Q, Answers with A.

Anyway, I believe they do.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-15 at 04:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A 411

Code:
    When you finish a long rest during which you slept in medium or heavy armor...
    Because an elf would not have slept in medium or heavy armor, the penalties would not apply to them.
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Whoops, thanks.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Troll in the Playground

Q 412 a Gentle Repose: Do the copper pieces count as a "costly component" or can you substitute a focus?

Q 412 b What if the remains in question don't have eyes? Like what if it's just a leg?

22. - Top - End - #1012

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q 412 a Gentle Repose: Do the copper pieces count as a "costly component" or can you substitute a focus?

Q 412 b What if the remains in question don't have eyes? Like what if it's just a leg?
    A412a- While it would be strange to list "copper pieces worth 1 copper piece" it is not formatted like a "costly component", so a focus can be substituted.

A412b- "or other remains".

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q413 - Are there other RAW threads for 5e? This is labeled RAW 3 but searching doesn't ID 1 or 2. If so, are there links? Learning a lot following along and thanks for the work!

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Q414 - If my character were to enter a tap dancing contest while wearing the boots of elvenkind, would I do well in it?

25. - Top - End - #1015

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    Q413 - Are there other RAW threads for 5e? This is labeled RAW 3 but searching doesn't ID 1 or 2. If so, are there links? Learning a lot following along and thanks for the work!
    A413
    [procedure: remember to bold your question number]

Not a RAW question, but 1 and 2

26. - Top - End - #1016

DrowGirl

Q414 - If my character were to enter a tap dancing contest while wearing the boots of elvenkind, would I do well in it?

A414 There is no RAW answer to this question, please make your own thread.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

biggrin Re: Simple RAW 3

[shameless plug] Re414 I would encourage you to make your own thread on this complex question if you are serious about it, but if you would like to funpost bizarre questions about life and D&D rules, please consider my thread: Questions That Can't Be Answered... Answered By RAW. You can find a highly staged and forced link in my signature. [/shameless plug]

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    A413
    [procedure: remember to bold your question number]

Not a RAW question, but
    Thanks! New to the site so haven't figured out how to bold on a phone.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Really? The text for boots of elvenkind specifically says that you don't make sound while walking regardless of surface. I'd say that qualifies as a RAW question. Unless the wording in the book doesn't qualify as ruling as written. In which case, I apologize. The question may be silly as is, but it is still a legitimate question. If you don't like it worded that way then how about this:
    Q414 can a person wearing boots of elvenkind intentionally make noise, or do the rules as worded prevent that.
    Last edited by Galgano; 2017-12-16 at 02:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1020

DrowGirl

Really? The text for boots of elvenkind specifically says that you don't make sound while walking regardless of surface. I'd say that qualifies as a RAW question. Unless the wording in the book doesn't qualify as ruling as written. In which case, I apologize. The question may be silly as is, but it is still a legitimate question. If you don't like it worded that way then how about this:
    Q414 can a person wearing boots of elvenkind intentionally make noise, or do the rules as worded prevent that.
    A414 There are no rules for temporarily suppressing magical item effects, so outside of an antimagic field, all of the character's steps would be silent.