New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1081
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Diebo View Post
    Q442: Can Fog Cloud be cast 25' in the air (a point within range) so that the bottom 5' of ground remains outside the fog? 1st level has 20' radius. Two scenarios: 1) fighting giants (blind them, not you), or 2) cast in direct sunlight to allow light sensitive races to fight outside of direct sunlight.
    A422: Yes and No.

Your #1 example was a common tactic at my table when I ran SKT. They would also do the same with fireball, but about 10' higher to blast the giants while missing the 'small folk'. Lots of ankles were the 'cause of death' in that campaign….

Your #2 example is unclear. If you're referring to casting it on Drow while they're outside so they're not in direct sunlight you accomplish nothing because they're now in heavy obscurement and still at disadvantage.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-01-10 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Clarification

2. - Top - End - #1082

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    A436: Without knowing more about the animated cloak it’s difficult to say, but I suspect this would be covered by the second section of Freedom of movement which allows the creature to spend five feet of movement to escape restraints. Basically DM’s call on whether that particular effect counts as “magical restraints” or not.

The animated cloak is from Tomb of beasts. It has a magical shadow entanglement that restrains a person. So the second part wouldn't apply to it because one that's magical and If i recall the spell says non magical but even so the effect makes there speed 0 so they cant spend 5 ft of movement. My question was based on the first part. The spell reads that an effect cannot cause them to be under the effects of restrained and other such things. But he was already under t he effects of the cloak. does the spell freedom of movement dispel the restrained or must it be on the person before such an effect takes place?

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

Q 443: Would a Multyclass Wizard/Barbarian loose a casting of Mage Armor if they rage?

Q 444: Would a Multyclass Wizard/Barbarian's Unarmored class feature stack with Mage Armor?

Q 445: Would using a shield stack with Mage Armor?
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #1084

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Q 443: Would a Multyclass Wizard/Barbarian loose a casting of Mage Armor if they rage?

Q 444: Would a Multyclass Wizard/Barbarian's Unarmored class feature stack with Mage Armor?

Q 445: Would using a shield stack with Mage Armor?
    A 443: No, as long as it’s cast before they enter their rage. This is because the spell doesn’t require concentration.

A 444: No. if the game gives you something that calculates your AC it doesn’t stack with something else that calculates your AC. Since they both to so you pick the one you want to use.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/27...mored-defense/

A 445: Yes. https://www.sageadvice.eu/page/4/?s=mage+armor

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q446 I grappled a prone creature. On the enemy's turn, he attacks me. Then on my next turn I cast sanctuary. On the creature's turn, it tries to break grapple. Do I lose sanctuary?
    Last edited by HMS Invincible; 2018-01-12 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Clarity of question

6. - Top - End - #1086

Situation:

2 combatants square off in front of each other ready to fight, neither has a weapon drawn yet.

Initiative is rolled and combatant "A" goes first.

On his initiative combatant "A" wants to reach over and take his opponent's weapon from its sheath.

Q447

What does he roll to do it?

Athletics because it is in combat so it is considered a disarm, even though the opponent is not holding the weapon?

Slight of Hand because it is considered trying to steal the weapon, even though it is right in front of them?

No roll because it is in combat and it is an item not being held it is "interact with an object" like drawing a weapon, which does not specify it has to be on your body?

None of those choice and something completely different?

7. - Top - End - #1087

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Q446 You grapple a bad guy, and on his turn he attacks you. You shove him prone in the next turn, and then cast sanctuary as a bonus action. Does maintaining my grapple next turn interfere with sanctuary?
    A446: I feel shoving a person while still having them grappled is a bit... off. Seems, logically, you would be pushing them away from yourself- thus breaking the grapple and allowing Sanctuary to work as intended.

While not exactly a direct Sage reference, this is close to what I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudewithknives View Post
    Situation:

2 combatants square off in front of each other ready to fight, neither has a weapon drawn yet.

On his initiative combatant "A" wants to reach over and take his opponent's weapon from its sheath.

Q447

Athletics because it is in combat so it is considered a disarm, even though the opponent is not holding the weapon?

Slight of Hand because it is considered trying to steal the weapon, even though it is right in front of them?

No roll because it is in combat and it is an item not being held it is "interact with an object" like drawing a weapon, which does not specify it has to be on your body?

A447: No RAW for such a scenario exist to my knowledge, so it is entirely up to each individual DM.

Some will use some variation of the Contest rules (174) like a sleight of hand to quickly grab it verse an athletics/acrobatics/dex check to avoid. Others will simply not allow it because combat has started and there is a reasonable expectation that if you know you are about to fight someone- you won't stand in a way that leave your weapon in their reach to begin with.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dudewithknives View Post
    Situation:

Q447

I don't know if there is a real RAW answer to the situation, but here goes how I would rule it: Sleight of Hand check (with the potential to use Strength instead of Dexterity) against the target's Strength or Dexterity check.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

9. - Top - End - #1089

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    I don't know if there is a real RAW answer to the situation, but here goes how I would rule it: Sleight of Hand check (with the potential to use Strength instead of Dexterity) against the target's Strength or Dexterity check.
    It actually came up in a game 2 weeks ago.

I was playing a rogue and I was trying to sneak up on an enemy that I knew was a high elf rogue who used Booming Blade a lot, I was going to take his weapon before the fight started so he would essentially be screwed.

Problem was that evidently he had a 19 passive perception somehow...

He spotted me when I got 5 feet away and we rolled initiative, which I won easily so I was just like, "Well, he still has not drawn his weapon so I take it anyway as my action."

The DM just looked at me and said, "Ummmm ok, let's call it there and I will see how that is going to work."

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    The description of Net clearly states singular creatures, not plural. If it could be used on multiple creatures at the same time the description would indicate that.
    I apologize for misunderstanding you on "used up". But I'm going to continue to disagree here. The description of the net does not say that only one creature can be restrained by a net; it merely describes what a creature so restrained can do. "A" creature because each creature is an individual taking individual actions. (In other words, since "a creature" is the subject of the sentence, not the object, I don't see any implication that only a single creature can be restrained by a single net.)

Now, of course, we know that ranged weapons can only attack one creature at a time, but there may be some class feature or feat or spell somewhere that allows a single ranged attack against multiple targets.

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    Since you can move between weapon attacks there's nothing stopping the PC from retrieving their net and trying again on a miss is there?
    Well, there might be; you may have already used all of your movement, or your one free object interaction. And it's undefined whether you can simply pick up a net that hit its target.

But I'm still concerned about the specific wording of the feature. It says "when" you make a weapon attack, you can attack a different creature with the same weapon. It's not clear to me whether the second attack has to be taken immediately, or if it works like Extra Attack and the second attack can be taken after doing something else. Horde Breaker procs when you attack; Extra Attack procs when you take the Attack action. The difference in wording feels like the interpretation might be different too.

So, yes, if Horde Breaker works like Extra Attack, then it could be used with a thrown weapon -- if you manage to pick it up.

Powers &8^]

11. - Top - End - #1091

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A446: I feel shoving a person while still having them grappled is a bit... off. Seems, logically, you would be pushing them away from yourself- thus breaking the grapple and allowing Sanctuary to work as intended.

While not exactly a direct Sage reference, this is close to what I am saying.
    Let me clarify the question. I grappled a prone creature. On the enemy's turn, he attacks me. Then on my next turn I cast sanctuary. On the creature's turn, it tries to break grapple. Do I lose sanctuary? Obviously, you would want to do this all in 1 turn, but I wanted to know if maintaining grapple matters.
    I don't want to get into shoves that make a creature prone.

12. - Top - End - #1092

BarbarianGuy

Let me clarify the question. I grappled a prone creature. On the enemy's turn, he attacks me. Then on my next turn I cast sanctuary. On the creature's turn, it tries to break grapple. Do I lose sanctuary? Obviously, you would want to do this all in 1 turn, but I wanted to know if maintaining grapple matters.
    I don't want to get into shoves that make a creature prone.
    R446: Once you've grappled a creature any attempt to break free from the grapple is a contested ability check, not an attack.

Edit: So if the grappled creature attacks you sanctuary would process, but if they try to break free it would not.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-01-12 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added stuff.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Halfling in the Playground

I had an idea for a nature-flavoured Monk, probably a Variant Human or Tortle, that takes Magic Initiate (Druid) or does a 1-level dip for Shillelagh and Magic Stone. Which leads me to a few questions...

Q448a Does a pebble enchanted with the Magic Stone cantrip count as a ranged weapon when thrown, for the purpose of features such as Sneak Attack?
    Q448b Does an ordinary pebble (or any improvised weapon, which an ordinary pebble presumably is) count as a ranged weapon when thrown, for the purpose of features such as Sneak Attack?
    Q448c If we were to treat the pebbles as weapons/improvised weapons, do they interfere with Martial Arts because they are technically not categorised as Monk weapons?

14. - Top - End - #1094

Quote Originally Posted by Platypusbill View Post
    I had an idea for a nature-flavoured Monk, probably a Variant Human or Tortle, that takes Magic Initiate (Druid) or does a 1-level dip for Shillelagh and Magic Stone. Which leads me to a few questions...

Q448a Does a pebble enchanted with the Magic Stone cantrip count as a ranged weapon when thrown, for the purpose of features such as Sneak Attack?
    Q448b Does an ordinary pebble (or any improvised weapon, which an ordinary pebble presumably is) count as a ranged weapon when thrown, for the purpose of features such as Sneak Attack?
    Q448c If we were to treat the pebbles as weapons/improvised weapons, do they interfere with Martial Arts because they are technically not categorised as Monk weapons?
    A448a No you can't sneak attack with them because it is a ranged spell attack. You can't sneak attack with a spell attack, even if it is from an actual weapon.

A448b No, there are no improvised ranged weapons. Only melee ones and ones with the thrown property. Despite the thrown property thrown weapons are not considered ranged. This is the same reason a rogue can not sneak attack with a thrown spear.

A448c Monks weapons must me simple, an improvised weapon does not count.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Pixie in the Playground

Q449 After casting 'Sanctuary' , can you cast 'True Strike' without breaking Sanctuary?
    Relevant text:True strike "Your magic grants you a brief insight" Sanctuary "If the warded creature makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature , this spell ends."

16. - Top - End - #1096

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ebbisis View Post
    Q449 After casting 'Sanctuary' , can you cast 'True Strike' without breaking Sanctuary?
    Relevant text:True strike "Your magic grants you a brief insight" Sanctuary "If the warded creature makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature , this spell ends."
    A449: Yes. The common meaning of the word "affect" doesn't apply here. The casting of true strike doesn't affect the target, it harmlessly 'scans' them. The affect of the spell is gaining advantage on your attack against them when/if you attack.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q450 Is there anything that prevents a druid from staying in Wild Shape during a rest?
    The specific situation I have in mind is turning into something with blindsight so as to better keep watch.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by baticeer View Post
    Q450 Is there anything that prevents a druid from staying in Wild Shape during a rest?
    The specific situation I have in mind is turning into something with blindsight so as to better keep watch.
    A450. As long as the druid has Wild Shape uses left, no. As long as the druid has Wild Shape uses left, nothing prevents it. Although, the Wild Shape's duration can end before the rest ends, depending on your druid level and the length of the rest.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-16 at 05:12 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Troll in the Playground

A 450 (cont) Short rest is no problem. Long rest is likely to be a problem since going unconscious (e.g. falling asleep) ends wild shape. If you have a way not to sleep, you have a loophole. Not sure about elf trance but I don't think you're considered unconscious.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Orc in the Playground

Q.451- Let's say I'm a Necromancer Wizard lv 6. I cast Dragon's Breath on my Zombie. He uses his action to use Dragon's Breath and kill someone. Will I benefit from Grim Harvest, healing 4 HP?
    Last edited by BobZan; 2018-01-18 at 01:34 PM.
    Signed

21. - Top - End - #1101

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BobZan View Post
    Q.451- Let's say I'm a Necromancer Wizard lv 6. I cast Dragon's Breath on my Zombie. He uses his action to use Dragon's Breath and kill someone. Will I benefit from Grim Harvest, healing 4 HP?

A.451:
    No. Grim Harvest requires that you kill the creature with your spells. Your example only satisfies one of those two conditions: Your Spell. The zombie is the one that kills the creature.

Think of it this way: If you use Animate Dead to raise a zombie (your spells) you wouldn't get the Grim Harvest each time that zombie killed a creature would you?
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-01-18 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Formatting

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q452Unseen servant can interact with an object. Can it push on the floor, perhaps triggering a pressure plate, brush by an area, hitting a trip wire, etc?
    Can it open a door? Chest?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-01-18 at 06:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1103

RedWizardGuy

The Polymorph spell states "The target's game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the chosen beast."

Consider the situation where a spellcaster PC Druid with the warcaster feat polymorphs themselves into a Giant Ape.

Q 453 What items are specifically included in Game Statistics?

Q 454 Do game statistics include abilities from classes or does a polymorphed PC retain these?

If they do lose them then would not the spell caster lose the Spell casting class ability and the polymorphed caster would instantly revert to their normal form. ( I accept that the Polymorph spell separately and specifically prohibits speech, spellcasting, and actions with hands or speech)

Q 455 Do game statistics include feats? If the Polymorphed Giant Ape had to make a concentration check after sustaining damage would it roll with advantage because of the warcaster feat?

24. - Top - End - #1104

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q452Unseen servant can interact with an object. Can it push on the floor, perhaps triggering a pressure plate, brush by an area, hitting a trip wire, etc?
    Can it open a door? Chest?
    A 452 The Unseen Servant has a strength of 2 so as per the Lifting and carrying rules (pg 176 PHB) it has a carrying capacity of 30lbs and can Push, Drag or Lift 60lbs.

Yes - It could push the floor for up to 60lbs of force. This could trigger a pressure place depending on the sensitivity of the pressure plate.

Yes - It can pull open a door or chest (providing that the door would open with 30lbs of force or less. It can push open a door of 60lbs or less.

25. - Top - End - #1105

RedWizardGuy

Q446 I grappled a prone creature. On the enemy's turn, he attacks me. Then on my next turn I cast sanctuary. On the creature's turn, it tries to break grapple. Do I lose sanctuary?
    To clarify the question
    1) Creature A successfully grapples Creature B who is prone
    2) Creature B attacks Creature A
    3) Creature A casts sanctuary (I presume targeting creature A)
    4) Creature B tries to break the grapple and Creature A tries to maintain the Grapple.

Does Creature A lose the Sanctuary spell because it tries to maintain the Grapple with Creature B?

A 446 - No. Creature A is engaging in an opposed Ability Score contest and not attacking Creature B. This does not trigger the end of spell conditions for Sanctuary.

Note: If creature B escapes the grapple and Creature A tries to re-initiate a Grapple with Creature B then this would break the sanctuary spell as Grappling is begun by using the Attack Action and making a special melee attack. See pg 195 PHB under Grappling.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 456: What happens when a warlock uses a pearl of power? Can they only cast 3rd level spells out of the recovered slot?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

27. - Top - End - #1107

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 456: What happens when a warlock uses a pearl of power? Can they only cast 3rd level spells out of the recovered slot?
    A456: By RAW, once a warlock is 7th level or higher and his available spells slots are above 3rd, he is no longer able to gain a benefit from a Pearl of Power.

That said, a nice DM could let you get a 3rd lvl spell slot back; which I think is reasonable and certainly not game breaking.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Q457: Can I use the Eldritch Knight's War Magic feature to make a bonus action attack when I cast Booming Blade utilizing the War Caster feat?

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Monty114 View Post
    Q457: Can I use the Eldritch Knight's War Magic feature to make a bonus action attack when I cast Booming Blade utilizing the War Caster feat?
    A457: In short, you can take only one bonus action and only on your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB p. 189
    You can take a bonus action only when a special ability, spell, or other feature of the game states that you can do something as a bonus action. You otherwise don't have a bonus action to take.
    You can take only one bonus action on your turn, so you must choose which bonus action to use when you have more than one available.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-22 at 11:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Q458: Does a Giant Spider's web restrain swarms (that are not spiders)?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Web: Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 30/60 ft., one creature. Hit: The target is Restrained by webbing. As an action, the Restrained target can make a DC 12 Strength check, bursting the webbing on a success. The webbing can also be attacked and destroyed (AC 10; hp 5; vulnerability to fire damage; immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage).

All swarms have Condition Immunity "Restrained" however only swarms of spiders "ignores Movement restrictions caused by webbing."