New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Plaguescarred View Post
    A38: You need to wait until your next turn since casting and controlling a mage hand both takes an action.
    Notable exception is an arcane trickster as they get many uses with mage hand that only require a bonus action.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Q 44 Can a sorcerer / bard us an instrument of the bards (the magic item) as a focus for his sorcerer spells?
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q 44 Can a sorcerer / bard us an instrument of the bards (the magic item) as a focus for his sorcerer spells?
    A44: Doesn't seem like it.

PHB page 164. In the multiclass section:
    Spells Known and Prepared

Each spell you know and prepare is associated with one of your classes, and you use the spellcasting ability of that class when you cast the spell. Similarly, a spellcasting focus, such as a holy symbol, can be used only for the spells from the class associated with that focus.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A44: Doesn't seem like it.

PHB page 164. In the multiclass section:
    Okay. I know of that rule but I was banking on the ambiguity with regard to what can be an arcane focus. I have a character with a ritual dagger but a musical instrument does seem like a stretch even if it's magical.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q45 If a Necromancer wizard casts Animate Dead as a 3rd level spell, two undead are raised. But with 4th level spell, how many undead are raised? 5th? 6th? Etc....

And Q45b What is the maximum number of undead a necromancer can raise at 20th level? (Not counting that one boon that gives a second 9th level spell slot)
    Last edited by Arenabait; 2017-02-02 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Clarification

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

A 45 One more than you would otherwise get so 4 with a 4th level slot, 6 with a 5th level slot, etc.

A 45b Just get out a calculator and do the math for every spell slot you have of 3rd level or higher, and don't forget arcane recovery. The tricky part is maintaining control 24 hours later. Regardless of what level slot you use, recasting only reasserts control on 4. Presumably you could just kill them and reanimate them which is more trouble but arguably more efficient for really large armies.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q46 can you delay in 5.0, like in 3.5? If not, I don't see the harm in making it so.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q47 In 3.5 there was an easy formula for calculating encounter difficulty. For example, two CR 3's is a CR 5. Is there any rule like that in 5th Ed?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2017-02-03 at 08:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

ElfMonkGuy

Q48 When looking at the Battle Master Maneuver Disarming Attack it states:
    When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to
    attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it’s holding. You add the superiority
    die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drop the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.
    Is it possible (as a fighter) to use a free or bonus action to kick the object away from the creature?
    Last edited by Fishyninja; 2017-02-04 at 05:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q46 can you delay in 5.0, like in 3.5? If not, I don't see the harm in making it so.
    A46:There's no Delay action in 5E.
    Yan
    D&D Playtester

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q47 In 3.5 there was an easy formula for calculating encounter difficulty. For example, two CR 3's is a CR 5. Is there any rule like that in 5th Ed?
    A47:Yes there are rules for Building Combat Encounters in the DMG/Basic Rules.
    Yan
    D&D Playtester

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyninja View Post
    Q48 When looking at the Battle Master Maneuver Disarming Attack it states:
    Is it possible (as a fighter) to use a free or bonus action to kick the object away from the creature?
    A48:Yes it's possible to interact with an object not held this way if DM allows it.
    Yan
    D&D Playtester

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q49what are the properties of a demi plane? if I place an object in the demiplane and then cast demiplane in a different space, does the object in the demiplane change location? or is the spell just creating a portal into a stable location?

also are the "walls" of the demiplane such that one cannot move past the walls no matter how much force one puts into piercing it?
    Last edited by aerportman; 2017-02-04 at 02:11 PM. Reason: making post conform

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 50 Does the 'sprinkling' of holy water required for the bless spell consume an entire vial of holy water?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by aerportman View Post
    Q49what are the properties of a demi plane? if I place an object in the demiplane and then cast demiplane in a different space, does the object in the demiplane change location? or is the spell just creating a portal into a stable location?

also are the "walls" of the demiplane such that one cannot move past the walls no matter how much force one puts into piercing it?
    A49: Demiplane is a pocket dimension 30' x 30' x 30'. The spell creates the demiplane and connects to the prime material via a shadowy door. Subsequent castings of the spell can take you to the same, already created demiplane, or a new one.

If you want to retrieve objects, you have to connect to the plane that has said objects. Where you are in the prime material does not matter in this. The door will lead to the demiplane of your choosing.

The walls are planar boundaries, save DM adjudication- nothing should be able to breach a demiplanes walls.

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 50 Does the 'sprinkling' of holy water required for the bless spell consume an entire vial of holy water?
    A50: Nope. It uses just a few drops, and technically those are not even "consumed", but good luck retrieving them and putting them back in the bottle.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Spanner View Post
    Q42 (More a curiosity, really.)

The PHB and DMG have quite a lot "...until you take a short rest or a long rest". Is there anything that is triggered by a short rest, but not a long rest, where the long rest effect doesn't render the short rest effect moot (e.g. getting one spell slot back on a short rest, but all of them back on a long rest).

Related (call it Q42a): is there any reason to use the longer phrasing, over "...until you take a rest", or a note saying that anything that happens on a short rest can also happen on a long rest?
    A42(a), cont'd: My Complete List of Action Recharge Times might help you with questions like this.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal
    Current PbP Game: 5th Edition low-level game IC OOC Tracker Map
    Current PbP Game: I6 - Ravenloft IC OOC

Full Signature
    I often post from mobile, so feel free to correct any typos.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    A24 Correction - Addendum/Clarification; Duelling fighting style requires wielding a melee weapon in one hand, which is different from 'not being a two-handed weapon'; this is pertinent for things like Great weapon fighting and monk weapons also. Two-Handed is a property which is triggered by certain things, but in the event of the Duelling fighting style, it merely requires a weapon in one hand. Under the common sense assumption that 'one hand' means 'one hand only' and not 'at least one hand', versatile weapons are allowed. GWF requires a weapon wielded in two hands (which nominally would mean Versatile or Two-Handed, but there are no rules on you 2 handing another weapon without the Versatile feat), while Monk weapons are simple one-handed weapons, which includes the Qstaff as it is.one handed, just with the qualifier that it is versatile. It is however unclear as far as I'm aware as whether a monk can or cannot use her Qstaff with 2H as a monk weapon.
    Sorry, late to the party and just read this.

This is incorrect in regards to the GWF feat.
    There is no mention what so ever about needing a two-handed weapon.
    The requirement is that the melee weapon has to have the Heavy property to use the -5/+10 power attack option.
    In other words, one can not use this option with Versitile property weapons as they are not Heavy.
    There is however no restrictions other then a melee weapon must be used (no unarmed) for the Bonus attack awarded from a critical hit or reducing a creature to zero HP's.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Q51 On a +1 weapon that does bonus damage to certain enemy types, does the +1 also apply to the roll for the bonus damage? So when I shortsword some undeads, do they get 1d6+1 piercing and 2d6 radiant, or 1d6+1 piercing and 2d6 +1 radiant? I can't finagle an unambiguous enough array of keywords to google this...
    Last edited by The Vanishing Hitchhiker; 2017-02-06 at 09:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by The Vanishing Hitchhiker View Post
    Q51 On a +1 weapon that does bonus damage to certain enemy types, does the +1 also apply to the roll for the bonus damage? So when I shortsword some undeads, do they get 1d6+1 piercing and 2d6 radiant, or 1d6+1 piercing and 2d6 +1 radiant? I can't finagle an unambiguous enough array of keywords to google this...
    A51: The +1 would apply to the weapon damage only.

So in the case of the short sword of undead busting, it would do d6+1 (+attribute mod) +2d6 radiant.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Q 52 Would a kobold mounted on a riding dog get pack tactics from the dog?

Q 53 Regarding Investiture of Flame, 6th level EE spell.
    It starts from you (one edge of your square?) and goes in whatever direction you choose. Can you have it go through your square as well? For instance, if you are being attacked by a swarm that's in your space.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-02-07 at 03:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q 52 Would a kobold mounted on a riding dog get pack tactics from the dog?
    A52 Yes. Unless the kobold is using a ranged or reach weapon, it and the dog will both be within five feet of the target and pack tactics will apply.

Q 53 Regarding Investiture of Flame, 6th level EE spell.
    It starts from you (one edge of your square?) and goes in whatever direction you choose. Can you have it go through your square as well? For instance, if you are being attacked by a swarm that's in your space.
    A53 The SRD says this about line area spells:
    A line’s point of origin is not included in the line’s area of effect, unless you decide otherwise.
    Since a line can include it's point of origin if you choose, there should be nothing that would stop your from including your space in the line area from Investure of Flame or any other line spell.
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2017-02-07 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Oops, originally quoted cone instead of line

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 54

Can you cast a spell on a target that you have an unobstructed path to but that you cannot see, like if you're blinded or if your target is in the dark and out of range of you darkvision/ tremorsense/ blindsight? I think it shouldn't but the Blinded condition doesn't forbid it and i'm not sure the wording of the "Targets" paragraph of the "Casting a spell" chapter forbids it. Many spells' descriptions forbid it, but i'd like to know if this is a general rule.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2017-02-07 at 08:31 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

A 54 Short answer: sometimes.

The spell will specifically say if LoS is necessary. It will typically say something like "a target you can see" vs. "a target in range".

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Q 54

Can you cast a spell on a target that you have an unobstructed path to but that you cannot see, like if you're blinded or if your target is in the dark and out of range of you darkvision/ tremorsense/ blindsight? I think it shouldn't but the Blinded condition don't forbid it and i'm not sure the wording of the "Targets" paragraph of the "Casting a spell" chapter forbid it. Many spells' descriptions forbid it, but i'd like to know if this is a general rule.
    A54: The general rule is: if you know something is in a space, whether visible or not, you can target it. Some spells will forbid targeting something you can't see (like Magic Missile), others will either cause the Attack at disadvantage or force a Save.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 55

In the description of the spell Bestow Curse, it states that "You touch a creature, and that creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw..." The question I have is does the touch occur automatically without a melee spell attack? Other spells I've read with a range of touch state that a melee spell attack is required. Bestow Curse does not mention that, it just states that you do touch the target creature.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    Q 55

In the description of the spell Bestow Curse, it states that "You touch a creature, and that creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw..." The question I have is does the touch occur automatically without a melee spell attack? Other spells I've read with a range of touch state that a melee spell attack is required. Bestow Curse does not mention that, it just states that you do touch the target creature.
    A55: If the spell requires an attack roll it will say.

So, for Bestow Curse you don't need to make an Attack, you just need to be within the spells range of touch.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A55 - addition

Although with the 'Bestow Curse' spell, the target still has to make a saving throw.

28. - Top - End - #118

Q56 Can race abilities, like Tabaxii's Feline Agility, by used while wildshaped?
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-02-09 at 10:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Q56 Can race abilities, like Tabaxii's Feline Agility, by used while wildshaped?
    A56: "Wild Shape: keep your racial traits, unless told otherwise or they require external features (wings/hands/etc.) the new form lacks" cite.

Tabaxii's Feline Agility should be ok in most forms (maybe not for flying/swimming though).

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Q 57 Can Plane Shift be twinned if you're using the single target "banish an unwilling creature" version of the spell?