Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1231
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Very, very technically she just has to take the attack action on the same turn as the bonus action attack.

So she could bonus action attack and then attack with the primary hand, but not bonus action attack and then disengage or dash. This is completely unimportant for two weapon fighting, but does matter for some other bonus action features like Shieldmaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB page 195
    When you take the Attack action and attack with a light weapon...
    "When" clearly indicates to me that your Attack action must come first.

But arguments and counter-arguments are beyond the scope of this thread. I suggest someone make a new thread if they want to to debate it further.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A493 So, can you still hide from a mummy in this situation?

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Very, very technically she just has to take the attack action on the same turn as the bonus action attack.

So she could bonus action attack and then attack with the primary hand, but not bonus action attack and then disengage or dash. This is completely unimportant for two weapon fighting, but does matter for some other bonus action features like Shieldmaster.
    Agreed. I was even half-way through typing this all out when I reconsidered; the question was asked by a new player/DM, so I didn't want to overload them with too much information when it most likely would never come up anyway.

So, yeah, she could actually execute the bonus action attack first, but by doing so the only possible Action she would be allowed to take is the Attack action to attack with the other weapon in the other hand; it's either that or nothing, because she already took the bonus action and that only exists because she said she would take the action that generated it.

It's the 'permission slip' model, where you choose the actions first, and then execute those actions sometime during your turn in any order you like. That's why the shield bash can come before the attack that generated it, because you chose your actions first (attack action, bonus action shield bash generated by that attack action) and can then execute those actions in any order during your turn.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q506 Can a creature attack a cleric's spiritual weapon, and if so what happens to it when they do. I can't seem to find anything indicating weather or not the weapon can be attacked or any stats surrounding it if it can be.
    Last edited by braveheart; 2018-03-11 at 04:16 PM.
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q507. Radiant Sun Bolt (Sun Soul Monk): Does this ability deal the damage as shown in the Martial Arts column regardless of whether the monk is wearing armor, or does armor interfere with it as well?
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Q506 Can a creature attack a cleric's spiritual weapon, and if so what happens to it when they do. I can't seem to find anything indicating weather or not the weapon can be attacked or any stats surrounding it if it can be.
    A506: No. However, neither does the weapon take up the square it's in: it's a pure force projection that swings for damage. They can kill or incapacitate the cleric who cast the spell, or they can take a dodge action or dash away from it (it can't AoO either),or they can dispel it, but creatures can't directly interact with it otherwise.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q507. Radiant Sun Bolt (Sun Soul Monk): Does this ability deal the damage as shown in the Martial Arts column regardless of whether the monk is wearing armor, or does armor interfere with it as well?
    A507 The restriction on armor is part of the Monk class's "Martial Arts" feature. Aside from lending its name to the column that shows the damage increase that "Radiant Sun Bolt" uses, I see no connection between the two features.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2018-03-13 at 10:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    The restriction on armor is part of the Monk class's "Martial Arts" feature. Aside from lending its name to the column that shows the damage increase that "Radiant Sun Bolt" uses, I see no connection between the two features.
    So, to deduce an actual answer to my question, armor (if any) doesn't affect the damage for Radiant Sun Bolt?
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    So, to deduce an actual answer to my question, armor (if any) doesn't affect the damage for Radiant Sun Bolt?
    A507

That's my reading of it, but I wanted to be circumspect in case I was missing something obvious. I was also hoping to clarify the source of your question.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2018-03-13 at 10:07 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q508: Can my cleric cast Guidance every minute to get a +1d4 on all initiative checks?

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Q509: Half-Orc Fighter, Great Weapon Fighting style, two-handed melee weapon, critical hit. Does the GWF re-roll apply to the additional die rolled for the half-orc's Savage Attacks racial trait?
    Last edited by BeefGood; 2018-03-13 at 11:37 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

Q510: A dragon fails her WIS saving throw against a spell and has to decide whether to use her Legendary Save. Does she get to know which spell it is before she decides? (My assumption is "no", based on the Counterspell rules in XGtE, but given that I'll be the one casting the spells, I may be biased)
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A510 Using the rules on p85 of XGtE, the dragon could use her reaction to try to identify the spell cast. Whether that is successful or not, the dragon could then still choose to use Legendary Resistance, since using LR does not have an action cost.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    A493 So, can you still hide from a mummy in this situation?
    Jeremy answered that tweet: You can still hide. Pinpoint merely gives them your location so they’d still have disadvantage on any attacking rolls against you.

15. - Top - End - #1245

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dreast View Post
    Q508: Can my cleric cast Guidance every minute to get a +1d4 on all initiative checks?
    A508 ​Yes you can.

16. - Top - End - #1246

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    Q509: Half-Orc Fighter, Great Weapon Fighting style, two-handed melee weapon, critical hit. Does the GWF re-roll apply to the additional die rolled for the half-orc's Savage Attacks racial trait?
    Q509: Yes you can since it’s damage from the weapon.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q510 The rider damage from booming blade only occurs if the target willingly moves. My question is: can spells that force targets to use their move speed trigger this effect? I'm thinking of spells like infestation, dissonant whispers, command, fear, etc.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaon View Post
    Q510 The rider damage from booming blade only occurs if the target willingly moves. My question is: can spells that force targets to use their move speed trigger this effect? I'm thinking of spells like infestation, dissonant whispers, command, fear, etc.
    A510 yes, if and only if the spell requires the target to move using their own speed (either as a reaction or on their turn). General rule: forced movement does not use up your available speed, does not trigger effects like this, and does not provoke OA. Conversly, movement that does consume your available speed does do all of those things.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q511 can you hide from a creature with tremorsense? Blindsight?

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Halfling in the Playground

Q512 Grapple/Shove Mechanic. Is there a mechanic that would allow a medium-sized player character in a 5' corridor to grapple/move/shove/push/pull in order to force an opponent to swap places? Example: Cambion is in front of the dwarf Battlerager, down a 5-foot-wide staircase. The 6th-level Battlerager would like to use grappling and/or shoving to grab the cambion and force it to move past his square and into the square behind him (up the staircase, where the rest of the party is). If so, what actions/movement would be required? There is no player in the space directly behind (up the stairs) from the dwarf.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Halfling in the Playground

Q513: does barbarian rage bonus to damage apply with hexblade ability to hit in melee using charism?
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Godshoe View Post
    Q513: does barbarian rage bonus to damage apply with hexblade ability to hit in melee using charism?
    A513 No, the bonus only applies to attacks made using Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB p48
    When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll...

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diebo View Post
    Q512 Grapple/Shove Mechanic. Is there a mechanic that would allow a medium-sized player character in a 5' corridor to grapple/move/shove/push/pull in order to force an opponent to swap places? Example: Cambion is in front of the dwarf Battlerager, down a 5-foot-wide staircase. The 6th-level Battlerager would like to use grappling and/or shoving to grab the cambion and force it to move past his square and into the square behind him (up the staircase, where the rest of the party is). If so, what actions/movement would be required? There is no player in the space directly behind (up the stairs) from the dwarf.
    A512

I don't think so. If it were a wider corridor, you could move around him while maintaining the grapple, then shove him back up the stairs (though that would break the grapple and leave you 10' away). But if you're on the wrong side of him in a 5' corridor, you can't move through his space. All you can do is drag him or shove him.

Powers &8^]

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

If I'm a Two-Weapon Fighter, is there anything preventing me from starting off a round by attacking with both of my light weapons, and then immediately putting them away and pulling out a two-handed weapon for an Extra Attack?

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Paladin View Post
    Q513 If I'm a Two-Weapon Fighter, is there anything preventing me from starting off a round by attacking with both of my light weapons, and then immediately putting them away and pulling out a two-handed weapon for an Extra Attack?
    Q513 Yes. Even if you started the combat holding the two weapons, and had Dual Wielder feat (which lets you draw or sheath two weapons simultaneously as one object interaction), you are still limited to one free object interaction per turn. Another object interaction would be an Action, which you have already used for the Attack Action.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-03-19 at 02:23 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q514RAW: I'm a giant monster. I want to eat the invisible wizard. So on my turn, if the wizard is not hiding, I move right up to him and bite attack at a disadvantage. Is this correct?
    Finally, if I had tremorsense in this situation, would that make it any different mechanically?

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q514RAW: I'm a giant monster. I want to eat the invisible wizard. So on my turn, if the wizard is not hiding, I move right up to him and bite attack at a disadvantage. Is this correct?
    Finally, if I had tremorsense in this situation, would that make it any different mechanically?
    A514

a) Yes. If they're not hidden, then (in combat) you know the location of an invisible target and can attack at disadvantage. Note: This is contested in some edge cases.
    b) Nope--that would matter if the wizard tried to hide (can't hide where you are perceived), but not in the non-hiding case.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Banned

Q515 The Crown of Madness spell. Should I understand that if I cast it on someone who isn't already in melee range of an ally - it's essentially useless, unless that target choses of his own volition to walk close enough for the spell to work?
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-03-20 at 03:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Q515 The Crown of Madness spell. Should I understand that if I cast it on someone who isn't already in melee range of an ally - it's essentially useless, unless that target choses of his own volition to walk close enough for the spell to work?
    A515 Sort of. There are multiple other ways to get your target in melee range of an ally (shoving, grappling, spells that force movement) and there could also be tactical benefits for encouraging the creature under the effects of crown of madness to stay away from their allies.

However, the target still can’t make a melee attack if there are no targets in range.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2018-03-20 at 03:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q516

I am playing an Aasimar. When it uses Radiant Soul to gain 1minute of flight - does this allow hovering?

I.e. Last night I flew out over a balcony, and then attack a mob that was on the balcony. I hovered there for two rounds attacking it, before landing.

Is this the correct use of the flight? I feel like I read something somewhere about not being able to hover. Is this hovering?
    "Just so we're clear everybody ... THIS IS A GAME." Liam O'brien ("The Siege of Emon" 2:25:42)