New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
    Q74: If you shove a friendly creature, could it willingly fail the contest and accept the 5ft movement?
    A74 There is a little passage on p237 of the DMG that implies this is possible:

"An ability check is a test to see whether a character succeeds at a task that he or she has decided to attempt."

Bolded for emphasis, I believe this means that if a character so decides, they do not have to attempt to resist the contest and can let themselves get shoved.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    A77:You only add the Modifier if you are proficient with the weapon, so unless you have the Tavern Brawler feat, you don't add the Modifier
    This is incorrect.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q84 I take the Ready action and I want to heal Torkek if he takes any damage. tordek moves in to attack the goblins, the goblins attack Tordek and he takes damage. Now I'm 20' away. Can I move AND heal Tordek as a part of the ready action?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2017-02-23 at 09:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q85 rules say you can move through an enemies area (difficult terrain), but is that only if the enemy lets you? What about if I'm really small and it's a big dragon?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q86can you use a bonus action (or one of your two attacks that you may have) to try to escape a grapple?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q86can you use a bonus action (or one of your two attacks that you may have) to try to escape a grapple?
    A86: per PHB p.195, escaping a grapple, "a grappled creature can use its action to escape." Not a bonus action, not one of the two attacks that are granted by extra attack (for instance).

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Q85 rules say you can move through an enemies area (difficult terrain), but is that only if the enemy lets you? What about if I'm really small and it's a big dragon?
    A85: Rules say nothing about the enemy's willingness or non-, (PHB p.191), so there's no RAW to say the creature must be willing. Rules do require there be at least two size-categories difference, but say nothing about larger disparities.

In short:

Are you at least two categories different from hostile creature? If yes, move through space as difficult terrain.
    Last edited by nitsua60; 2017-02-23 at 09:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    R77 Can you give a citation on that, please?

The section of the PHB/SRD dealing with damage rolls just says "When attacking with a weapon, you add your ability modifier - the same modifier used for the attack roll - to the damage." with no mention of requiring proficiency to make that happen and the section on Weapon Proficiency says that "Proficiency with a weapon allows you to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll for any attack you make with that weapon. If you make an attack roll using a weapon with which you lack proficiency, you do not add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll." Neither mention proficiency affecting the damage roll.

Unless I see a citation that said otherwise, I would rule that you add your strength modifier to the damage roll for an improvised weapon because it fits the damage roll rule I quoted. (It also passes the logic test: it's hard to imagine that getting hit with a chair by a 300 lb. mountain of muscle wouldn't deal more damage than being hit with the same chair by a frail old man who can barely lift it.)
    Sorry, i was actually reading it as Proficiency not modifier, that was my bad

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

Q87
    Myself and Bernard are Battling an Orc fighter , Bernard's health looks low so I cast the Sanctuary spell on him. Bernard then gives a parting blow before moving out of combat, thus causing an opportunity attack. The Orc fighter then attempts to use his reaction to hit Bernard , however fails the Sanctuary saving throw. Am I now the target for that attack?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ebbisis View Post
    Q87
    Myself and Bernard are Battling an Orc fighter , Bernard's health looks low so I cast the Sanctuary spell on him. Bernard then gives a parting blow before moving out of combat, thus causing an opportunity attack. The Orc fighter then attempts to use his reaction to hit Bernard , however fails the Sanctuary saving throw. Am I now the target for that attack?
    A87
    Sanctuary, PHB (pg. 273): If the warded creature makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature, this spell ends.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-02-24 at 04:39 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q88:
    How do HAM and Abjurer's Ward interact? Does HAM protect the ward?

Q89:
    How does combat work while you are in another creature's space? For example, can a monk climb up a giant and cling on to the back of its neck while smacking it with Flurry of Blows?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QUARE View Post
    Q88:
    How do HAM and Abjurer's Ward interact? Does HAM protect the ward?
    A88 Heavy Armor Master affects "bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage that you take". An Abjurer's Arcane Ward says "Whenever you take damage, the ward takes the damage instead." Since it's the ward taking damage and not you, it isn't "damage that you take" and Heavy Armor Master doesn't affect it.

Q89:
    How does combat work while you are in another creature's space? For example, can a monk climb up a giant and cling on to the back of its neck while smacking it with Flurry of Blows?
    A89 There's nothing concerning this in the core game, though the DMG has rules for climbing on a larger creature listed as an optional variant. If I recall correctly, the smaller creature makes an Athletics or Acrobatics check opposed by the larger creature's Acrobatics check to move into the larger creature's space and gain advantage on attack rolls against it. Check the DMG for the exact details on it and, of course, make sure your DM is okay with using the variant before you count on having it in your game.

13. - Top - End - #193

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ebbisis View Post
    Q87
    A87 clarification.

Bernard made an attack. Therefore, the spell had already ended, and the Orc didn't have to roll the save. Bernard is the target of the attack.
    Spoiler: Quotes in the Playground!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side. We have scented hand towels.
    I thought you were supposed to have cookies. I was promised cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Speaking as a necromancer, I just don't get why people can't leave a guy to raise a family in peace.

And they get all offended when I take some commonly-given advice and go out to make new friends.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q84 I take the Ready action and I want to heal Torkek if he takes any damage. tordek moves in to attack the goblins, the goblins attack Tordek and he takes damage. Now I'm 20' away. Can I move AND heal Tordek as a part of the ready action?
    A84:
    No, you cannot move AND heal. Here is the relevant text (emphasis is mine):

...you choose the action you will take in response to that trigger, or you choose to move up to your speed in response to it.
    Last edited by ProphetSword; 2017-02-24 at 06:45 PM.
    "You'd only need to kill something like 147,311,996 pigeons to achieve FTL travel."
    uraniumrooster

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q90 can I cast a magic missle at someone if theyre invisible? Can I cast fireball if I'm blind, and how would that work for choosing a target/point in space?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q90 can I cast a magic missle at someone if theyre invisible? Can I cast fireball if I'm blind, and how would that work for choosing a target/point in space?
    A90: magic missile specifies that you target a creature you can see. Therefore, if they are invisible you cannot target them even if you know exactly where they are. Fireball does not specify that you pick a point that you can see, therefore even if you are blinded, you can use fireball normally, RAW.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A90 Slightly pedantic, but being invisible does not itself negate magic missile. If you can somehow 'see' an invisible creature, you can still target it with magic missile.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

18. - Top - End - #198

Q91: If a creature with flying speed is moving through difficult terrain, is their flying speed halved?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 92

If you attack a creature who cannot see or is not aware in some other way of the attack, you get advantage to the attack roll. But what if you attack with a spell that requires a save roll instead of an attack roll, notably one which requires a Dexterity save roll like a Fireball, does that creature get a disadvantage to the save roll?
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2017-02-26 at 02:23 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protčgent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Q 92

If you attack a creature who cannot see or is not aware in some other way of the attack, you get advantage to the attack roll. But what if you attack with a spell that requires a save roll instead of an attack roll, notably one which requires a Dexterity save roll like a Fireball, does that creature get a disadvantage to the save roll?
    A92

No. This makes sense too; even if you can't be seen that doesn't mean the fireball is invisible or even silent.
    Last edited by Puh Laden; 2017-02-26 at 04:12 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

ElfMonkGuy

Q93 Fighter's Duelling Fighting Style.
    It adds plus 2 to damage rolls. Also as fighters are proficient in all weapons would a Figther with +3 in Str have the following Damage Bonus:

Weapon die:
    • +5
    • +7

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyninja View Post
    Q93 Fighter's Duelling Fighting Style.
    It adds plus 2 to damage rolls. Also as fighters are proficient in all weapons would a Figther with +3 in Str have the following Damage Bonus:

Weapon die:
    • +5
    • +7
    Proficiency bonus doesn't apply to damage rolls. A fighter with Str +3 and Dueling Style would deal [weapon die]+5 damage.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

23. - Top - End - #203

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Proficiency bonus doesn't apply to damage rolls. A fighter with Str +3 and Dueling Style would deal [weapon die]+5 damage.
    Thank you, always get those confused.

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
    Q91: If a creature with flying speed is moving through difficult terrain, is their flying speed halved?
    A91: Depends. You are only hampered by difficult terrain you have to move through.

So, if it was a dense, vine-filled jungle and you are flying below the canopy: yes, you move is halved even if flying. Whereas a broken, prairie dog filled grassland that you are able to avoid completely because you are in the air will not hamper a fly speed even a little.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q94 what's Tiamat's divine rank (dmg pg 11)?

26. - Top - End - #206

NecromancerGuy

Q94 what's Tiamat's divine rank (dmg pg 11)?
    A94 Lesser deity.
    Spoiler: Quotes in the Playground!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side. We have scented hand towels.
    I thought you were supposed to have cookies. I was promised cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Speaking as a necromancer, I just don't get why people can't leave a guy to raise a family in peace.

And they get all offended when I take some commonly-given advice and go out to make new friends.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Q 95 If an ally leaves my reach, does he provoke an AoO? Can I use Warcaster to cast a helpful spell on him as a reaction? (Cure Wounds, Haste, Freedom of Movement...)
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-02-28 at 12:27 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q 95 If an ally leaves my reach, does he provoke an AoO? Can I use Warcaster to cast a helpful spell on him as a reaction? (Cure Wounds, Haste, Shield of Faith...)
    Unless your ally is hostile towards you, no.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Q 96 That raises my next question. What is the mechanical definition of "hostile".

By the plain language meaning, it seems clear my party member is not hostile to me, but it feels like this opens up an exploit for me to choose not to be hostile and thus not provoke AoO myself. For instance, does a pacifist not provoke AoOs?
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Q97 Does the Abjurer's Arcane Ward recharge with abjuration only when it's at zero or at any time it has already taken damage?