New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Arenabait View Post
    Q109 Can I cast booming blade or green flame blade with a thrown dagger?
    A109. No.

"As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon".

Thrown dagger is not a melee attack.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-03-06 at 03:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A109. No.

"As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon".

Thrown dagger is not a melee attack.
    And since the range of Booming/Greenflame Blade is 5 feet this doesn't work for a couple reasons.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    And since the range of Booming/Greenflame Blade is 5 feet this doesn't work for a couple reasons.
    True, although I believe the part of the text I quoted is the most relevant in this regard.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Q 108 (out of order because I forgot to read the rules of the thread)

What is the purpose of the hand crossbow's designation as "light"? As per page 195 in the phb, two-weapon fighting only applies with melee weapons.
    A108: To be thorough.

There are heavy crossbows, and there are light ones.

5. - Top - End - #245

Goblin

Q110: Is there a RAW answer on what kind of action applying manacles to a creature would be? I'm wondering how it would interact with the Thief's Fast Hands ability.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Q110: Is there a RAW answer on what kind of action applying manacles to a creature would be? I'm wondering how it would interact with the Thief's Fast Hands ability.
    A 110 The rules don't specify a particular action for putting manacles on a creature. While I think it's a reasonable use of a Thief's Fast Hands, there's nothing to stop a DM from ruling otherwise.

7. - Top - End - #247

ElfMonkGuy

Q111
    If you were playing a bear totem barbarian and a Moon Druid, could your Rage, then cast wild shape and still have the effects of rage apply to wild shape?

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyninja View Post
    Q111
    If you were playing a bear totem barbarian and a Moon Druid, could your Rage, then cast wild shape and still have the effects of rage apply to wild shape?
    A111 The effects of raging are all spelled out in the feature's description: "If you are able to cast spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while raging." This doesn't affect or stop you from using any class features besides Spellcasting/Pact Magic so it doesn't stop you from using Wild Shape (which is magical but not actually a spell) or gaining the benefits of your Rage while Wild Shaped.
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2017-03-08 at 01:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    A111 The effects of raging are all spelled out in the feature's description: "If you are able to cast spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while raging." This doesn't affect or stop you from using any class features besides Spellcasting/Pact Magic so it doesn't stop you from using Wild Shape (which is magical but not actually a spell) or gaining the benefits of your Rage while Wild Shaped.
    Thank you. I had conflicting reports.

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    A111: Also note that you'd have to either be a Moon Druid or a Frenzy Barbarian for the combo to work in practice. A Land Druid would have to spend its action to wild shape, and then the rage would end because you didn't attack that turn. A Frenzy Barbarian could sidestep that with a bonus action attack if they were in a frenzy.

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
    A111: Also note that you'd have to either be a Moon Druid or a Frenzy Barbarian for the combo to work in practice. A Land Druid would have to spend its action to wild shape, and then the rage would end because you didn't attack that turn. A Frenzy Barbarian could sidestep that with a bonus action attack if they were in a frenzy.
    R111 It's a fair point, but it's not quite as simple as that. (Taking damage would also keep your rage from ending and you could also keep your rage going by making an opportunity attack after using Wild Shape, though both are dependent on what your enemies decide to do.) That said, the two abilities do work in either order so if you want to become a bear and then rage and attack on the next turn, that might make it slightly easier to keep your rage going. (Wild Shape says "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so.")

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Q112

The Sentinel Feat allows you to make a special opportunity attack and if it hits, the opponent doesn't move, so, if one opponent is surrounded by two or more characters, one of which has the Sentinel feat, so, if the opponent moves and both the characters use their reactions to do opportunity attacks, if the Sentinel player hits, will the other not get their opportunity attack since the opponents movement was stopped by Sentinel? Also, if the opponent is under the effect of Booming Blade, which deals damage if the target moves, still activates if the movement is stopped by Sentinel?

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPenance View Post
    Q112

The Sentinel Feat allows you to make a special opportunity attack and if it hits, the opponent doesn't move, so, if one opponent is surrounded by two or more characters, one of which has the Sentinel feat, so, if the opponent moves and both the characters use their reactions to do opportunity attacks, if the Sentinel player hits, will the other not get their opportunity attack since the opponents movement was stopped by Sentinel? Also, if the opponent is under the effect of Booming Blade, which deals damage if the target moves, still activates if the movement is stopped by Sentinel?

A112: OA trigger before the creature actually moves out of the square. Thus it will stop movement and no Booming Blade**. While not as clear, I would say that all OA trigger when the Sentinel OA triggers.

**This assumes you are using a grid, otherwise you can 'move' 4 feet, triggering BB before triggering OA.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q113 - is the damage calculated by a magical bonfire only rolled once?

Quote Originally Posted by Create Bonfire
    Conjuration cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: 60 feet

Components: V, S

Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a bonfire on ground that you can see within range. Until the spells ends, the bonfire fills a 5-foot cube. Any creature in the bonfire’s space when you cast the spell must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 fire damage. A creature must also make the saving throw when it enters the bonfire’s space for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there.
    I'm grappling a bird that had had a bonfire lit under it.

I've dragged it out of the fire to grapple a second bird.

I've now dragged the first bird through the fire, and the second bird into the fire after the first, holding it there.

The birds have failed their athletics checks against me.

So on my turn they have both entered the fire once, and on its turn, one has remained there.

So to me, that's 3 saving throws (but DM had only rolled for 2 so far, I have queried)

The issue however is that the person who created the bonfire rolled a 1 on the damage due.

According to the DM, because it's an area effect spell, that die is used every time the creature enters the fire as opposed to rolling the d8 every time it fails a save.

Is he correct?

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q113 - is the damage calculated by a magical bonfire only rolled once?

According to the DM, because it's an area effect spell, that die is used every time the creature enters the fire as opposed to rolling the d8 every time it fails a save.

Is he correct?
    A113 - The rule is "If a spell or other effect deals damage to more than one target at the same time, roll the damage once for all of them." Based on the underlined section, the damage should be rolled again when it occurs at separate times.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    A113 - The rule is "If a spell or other effect deals damage to more than one target at the same time, roll the damage once for all of them." Based on the underlined section, the damage should be rolled again when it occurs at separate times.
    Could you point me to where in the PHB that is outlined?

I've had a brief look and can't see it.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Combat section, page 196, top right corner. It should be somewhere in the basic rules/SRD too.

In fact: 5e.d20srd.org/srd/combat/damageAndHealing.htm

18. - Top - End - #258

ElfMonkGuy

Q114 If you are a moon druid and wildshape.
    Do you keep any bonuses from magic items.

For example if my character had Gauntles of Ogre Strength, would the Wild Shape still retain the 19 STR or not?

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyninja View Post
    Q114 If you are a moon druid and wildshape.
    Do you keep any bonuses from magic items.

For example if my character had Gauntles of Ogre Strength, would the Wild Shape still retain the 19 STR or not?
    A114: If you wildshape to a form that can wear the gauntlets, you can opt to ;keep them worn; when you change and use the benefits of said magic item. If you merge/drop any magic items when you change forms the magic from those items will not affect the new form.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Q 115 Rogues can't get sneak attack if they have disadvantage. If they get advantage to offset it so that they attack normally, does that still apply? (Assuming they qualify for sneak attack via some other means, of course, like an adjacent ally)

EDIT: I found the answer so I'll post it in case others were also wondering.

A 115 No, it no longer applies and the rogue can still get sneak attack.

"If circumstances cause a roll to have both advantage and disadvantage, you are considered to have neither of them , and you roll one d20."
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-03-09 at 11:37 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A108: To be thorough.

There are heavy crossbows, and there are light ones.
    And stangely enough, light crossbows aren't light.

The real reason a hand crossbow is light is so that you can use the Crossbow Expert feat to shoot the light crossbow with one hand as a bonus action when you make a melee weapon attack with the other. In fact, I think you may even be able to shoot two crossbows on your turn if you have one in each hand (away from books).

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ClearlyTough69 View Post
    And stangely enough, light crossbows aren't light.

The real reason a hand crossbow is light is so that you can use the Crossbow Expert feat to shoot the light crossbow with one hand as a bonus action when you make a melee weapon attack with the other. In fact, I think you may even be able to shoot two crossbows on your turn if you have one in each hand (away from books).
    It might be an oversight, either because they intended to allow two-weapon fighting with all light weapons by default, or they forgot that two-weapon fighting requires two light melee weapons. If they want us to believe that feats are an optional rule, making hand crossbow light only for the feat to work properly is counterintuitive, and it's also redundant. Anyone can hold and attack with two one-handed weapons if they have enough attacks to make (Extra Attack) in a turn. They don't have to be light in that case. Two-Weapon Fighting only lets you do another attack if you wield two light melee weapon as a bonus action. If Dual Wielder allows it for non-light weapons, Crossbow Expert could as well allow this with hand crossbow.

Hand Crossbow could work just as well without the two-handed property (which absence already makes it by definition a one-handed weapon).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-03-10 at 06:59 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q116 - Warlock pacts and patrons

Stupid question time, I'm a little confused.

Can you make any pact (blade, chain, tome) with any patron?

Or are they restricted to blade/fiend, chain/goo, tome/fey?

24. - Top - End - #264

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q116 - Warlock pacts and patrons

Stupid question time, I'm a little confused.

Can you make any pact (blade, chain, tome) with any patron?

Or are they restricted to blade/fiend, chain/goo, tome/fey?
    A116: There are no restrictions on your patron/pact combinations. You could play a blade/fiend, a chain/fiend, or a tome/fiend. The same holds true for the others.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks, I thought that was the case, but just couldn't get my head round it for some reason.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Q117 - Life domain Cleric feature "Disciple of Life" and the spell "Regenerate"

If a Life Domain cleric casts Regenerate, will the bonus healing from Disciple of Life affect the initial healing of the spell only, or does it also buff the ongoing healing?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 118

Stairs: difficult terrain?

28. - Top - End - #268

Q119: Obnoxiously Lucky.

How do the "Lucky" feat and the Warlock Fiend patron ability "Dark One's Own Luck" Interact? Do I roll 1d20+1d10 twice and choose which to use? Do I roll a single d10 and add it to both rolls? Do I only apply it to one roll?

Edit: Used italics instead of embolding it, so I fixed that
    Last edited by Arenabait; 2017-03-13 at 12:36 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

How do the "Lucky" feat and the Warlock Fiend patron ability "Dark One's Own Luck" Interact? Do I roll 1d20+1d10 twice and choose which to use? Do I roll a single d10 and add it to both rolls? Do I only apply it to one roll?

You roll a single d10 and add it to both rolls, I believe. Away from book atm, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

30. - Top - End - #270

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    You roll a single d10 and add it to both rolls, I believe. Away from book atm, though.
    That is indeed correct.
    Spoiler: Quotes in the Playground!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side. We have scented hand towels.
    I thought you were supposed to have cookies. I was promised cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Speaking as a necromancer, I just don't get why people can't leave a guy to raise a family in peace.

And they get all offended when I take some commonly-given advice and go out to make new friends.