New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Which of these games should I play next?

I *finally* just beat Fallout 3. My wife got me the game several years ago, picked it up a couple weeks ago (don't get much time). So... onto the next game!

I have quite a few games I either barely started or haven't touched. And here they are (in no particular order):

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Condemned 2: Bloodshot (I liked the original)
    Demon's Souls
    Dragon Age: Origins Awakening (beat the main game several years ago)
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2
    Folklore
    God of War
    God of War 2 (I think these 2 were bundled)
    God of War 3
    Golden Axe: Beast Rider
    The Last of Us: Left Behind (accidentally got the stand alone version >.>)
    Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Also for Wii U I have Resident Evil: Revelations.

So... any of these games stick out as fast and fun? Any long and boring?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Which of these games should I play next?

Out of all those, my personal preference would be for Arkham Asylum. I consider it better than the sequels (which moved to a GTA style "open city" which I found greatly detrimental to the experience), and I believe it to be the best Batman game ever made. The combat is fast and fun, to the point that other games using that system are said to be using "Arkham-style" combat. The stealth is also excellent, and really gives the feel of scaring the utter crap out of mooks.

Demon's Souls is also excellent if you're a Souls fan, but the only thing to be aware of is that there's certain rough edges that exist due to it being the very first in the series.

DA: Inquisition is great for the characters and has a decent plot, but suffers from merely okay gameplay much like the rest of the Dragon Age games. It's also really long, so I'd be inclined to stick it on a back burner and knock out the shorter games first.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

My vote goes to Arkham Asylum and/or God of War. I never played past the second God of War or the third Arkham game though. In the case of Arkham Origins (third in that series, though it's actually a prequel to the others), it just felt like a not-quite-as-good version of the second game Arkham City. And God of War 2 I stopped because a friend was moving away soon and wanted to play it before he left, so I lent it to him, and had moved on to something else by the time I got it back.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The Arkham games are very good (minus Arkham Knight), so that'd be my top recommendation. Demon Souls is also a very good game, though it can be rage inducing like all Soulsborne games, which would be a close second recommendation. Prepare to spend some time with them though.

The GoW games are also highly received, though I've had very bad luck trying to even get them to start so can't personally comment on the enjoyability of them.

Beast Rider I've heard is just a bad game all around.

Operation Racoon City is mixed. Some people like it, some people don't. It's also short. I managed to beat it in within a day (about 10 hours I think)

RE: Revelations is good. Still need to beat that myself actually.

The rest I can't really comment on.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

5. - Top - End - #5

Thanks for the suggestions!

I imagine I'll go Batman. The brief while I did play it, I enjoyed sneaking around whaling on dudes.

Dunno how much time I'll have though. My wife's back into CoD, takes from my precious little game time, and I've been grinding up Karna on SFII on my son's file, and I'll probably get back into WoW soon.

Still, there oughta be enough time in there for one more brief-ish game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Still, there oughta be enough time in there for one more brief-ish game.
    Avoid everything with Souls in the title then. Those games are a lot of things, but brief isn't one of them.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Arkham Asylum is definitely what you want then. It's fairly short, unless you obsess over getting every Riddler trophy. DA:O Awakening is also fairly short, and is very good as well, especially if you have a Warden that survived the first game. Do you have the other DLC for DA:O? They're also all very good, excepting maybe Darkspawn Chronicles, which isn't canon. The suggested order is to do Leliana's Song, then Awakening, then Golems of Amgarrak, then Witchhunt. I would 100% recommend doing Witchhunt at least. I noticed you didn't list Dragon Age II. Did you already play it? If not, it's really not as bad as everyone says, I would quite recommend it. Combat is halfway between DA:O and Inquisition, the characters are still good, only trick is not choosing your main characters' backstory.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2017-01-10 at 08:33 AM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Arkham Asylum is definitely what you want then. It's fairly short, unless you obsess over getting every Riddler trophy. DA:O Awakening is also fairly short, and is very good as well, especially if you have a Warden that survived the first game. Do you have the other DLC for DA:O? They're also all very good, excepting maybe Darkspawn Chronicles, which isn't canon. The suggested order is to do Leliana's Song, then Awakening, then Golems of Amgarrak, then Witchhunt. I would 100% recommend doing Witchhunt at least. I noticed you didn't list Dragon Age II. Did you already play it? If not, it's really not as bad as everyone says, I would quite recommend it. Combat is halfway between DA:O and Inquisition, the characters are still good, only trick is not choosing your main characters' backstory.
    Sounds good!

I have a couple of the DLC's. I forget which ones. Definitely have Golems of Amgarrak (that ones lets you get the ex-Dwarf chick Golem?). Dunno about the others.

I don't own II. Dunno if I will get it. Maybe... hmm, maybe at some point I'll start DA:O from scratch, then do Awakening, then II, then Inquisition. I played as a beater but made some pretty bad plot choices.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

9. - Top - End - #9

Golems of Amgarrak is a new minicampaign, not the one that adds onto the base game.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

10. - Top - End - #10

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Avoid everything with Souls in the title then. Those games are a lot of things, but brief isn't one of them.
    Actually Demons' Souls is pretty short.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Fallout 4

(Beast Rider is terrible.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds good!

I have a couple of the DLC's. I forget which ones. Definitely have Golems of Amgarrak (that ones lets you get the ex-Dwarf chick Golem?). Dunno about the others.

I don't own II. Dunno if I will get it. Maybe... hmm, maybe at some point I'll start DA:O from scratch, then do Awakening, then II, then Inquisition. I played as a beater but made some pretty bad plot choices.
    I believe you're referring to The Stone Prisoner, which is integrated into Dragon Age: Origins' plot. Like others have said, Golems of Amgarrak is a separate mini-plot you import an existing character to or make a new one.

I don't mean to be rude, but can anyone tell me more about importing the game to Origin? I have it on disc, but it looks like I'm no longer able to access some of the stuff I used to have via the BioWare site.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Golems of Amgarrak is a new minicampaign, not the one that adds onto the base game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I believe you're referring to The Stone Prisoner, which is integrated into Dragon Age: Origins' plot. Like others have said, Golems of Amgarrak is a separate mini-plot you import an existing character to or make a new one.

I don't mean to be rude, but can anyone tell me more about importing the game to Origin? I have it on disc, but it looks like I'm no longer able to access some of the stuff I used to have via the BioWare site.
    Ahh, I see.

Hmm, I can't help with the import question, but that's totally not rude :P
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Ahh, I see.

Hmm, I can't help with the import question, but that's totally not rude :P
    Gah, I just realized this was the wrong thread! Sorry! :smallembarrassed:
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."