New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1062 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Andi thinks everyone is going to die right here, right now, if they kept following Bandana's plan. Can't save the world, if everyone here is dead, no?

And, besides, it WAS a moment of frustration there. Well, not so much a moment but a volcanic eruption.

But it mostly stems from the PoV that Bandana is leading everyone to Certain Death.

Is she right to think that? Well from a character point of view it only matters if she has cause to think that.

And I think it's been well established from her PoV that it has. Might be stupid, but it is reasonable. From a narrative standpoint, that is.
    Her alternative plans have amounted to "hope the frost giants will be nice and leave us alone." For somebody in a position that requires intelligence, cool headedness and problem solving skills, she has shown a remarkable lack of all of them. On top of that, her motivation so far has been explained pretty much as "we need someone to drive conflict" so I cant even really look at it from the position of her casting aside her good judgment to deal with legitimate personal problems. That might change eventually, but for the most part, I'm asking myself why she could possibly be thinking anything she has done is a good idea and coming up blank.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Andi thinks everyone is going to die right here, right now, if they kept following Bandana's plan. Can't save the world, if everyone here is dead, no?

And, besides, it WAS a moment of frustration there. Well, not so much a moment but a volcanic eruption.

But it mostly stems from the PoV that Bandana is leading everyone to Certain Death.

Is she right to think that? Well from a character point of view it only matters if she has cause to think that.

And I think it's been well established from her PoV that it has. Might be stupid, but it is reasonable. From a narrative standpoint, that is.
    FWIW, Bandanna did kind of bait Andi a little. Poor leadership move but somewhat understandable under the stress of combat. It still doesn't excuse Andi's blindside attack, but it could have been handled a little better.

Another strong guideline of leadership is to praise in public and punish in private. Bandanna's hard snark was more of punishing in public. She lost her temper at a subordinate and said some things intended to embarrass her, and did it in front of the other crew members.

Q
    No one expects the Bardic Exposition!

Quibblicious.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    theres no way to defuse that, Andi does not respect Bandana and refuses to
    Are you saying Bandana's need for self-validation didn't exacerbate the situation? At all?

Remember, I'm saying Andi is at fault here AND saying Bandana didn't deserve a whack to the head.

I am ALSO saying that Bandana's actions weren't the best in the run up to this situation.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

So what would we classify a wrench as? Club (1d6) or Mace (1d8)? Either way, taking that to the back of the head cannot be good in the HP department.

5. - Top - End - #155

BardGuy

At the same time, having an inexperienced captain who has personality conflicts with a member of the crew suddenly run into MAJOR PROBLEMS on their maiden voyage is a time honored tradtion in storytelling.

In fact, if that specific situation in storytelling ain't a trope, it should be.
    Well, yeah, there's that, too

Q

Quibblicious.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    That is a somewhat more nuanced view, but it boils down to the same thing -- they put their ships ahead of the mission, which it seems that Andi is doing now.

The Paladins would be pitching fits...

Q
    To quote Winston Churchill, who may in fact be entitled to an opinion, "No one in Europe can lose a major war faster than the commander of the British Home Fleet". Emphasis mine. Captains in the Mediterranean were not Admirals of the Home Fleet.

And yes, Paladins are not big on putting personal safety ahead of saving the world. That's why they are eternally dissatisfied with rogues, and vice versa.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

7. - Top - End - #157

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Case in point, Captain Bligh and Fletcher Christian. (Oh, wait, that wasn't just a movie, it was actual history). Unlike Bandana, who is mostly a decent person, Captain Bligh was an asshat. He was also mutineed against when governor of New South Wales.
    At least he was consistent...

Q

Quibblicious.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you saying Bandana's need for self-validation didn't exacerbate the situation? At all?

Remember, I'm saying Andi is at fault here AND saying Bandana didn't deserve a whack to the head.

I am ALSO saying that Bandana's actions weren't the best in the run up to this situation.
    Andi has been pushing Bandana's buttons since Julio left, its not wierd that she snapped in such an incredibly tense moment id say its at least 90% andis fault

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I do have a question. Do you believe that Bandana could have done anything to make the situation with Andi better during this mission?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    On top of that, her motivation so far has been explained pretty much as "we need someone to drive conflict"
    Her motivation is "this inexperienced captain is going to destroy my precious ship kill us all through her poor judgement".

In fact, her motivation (jealousy, bitterness, thinking Bandana doesn't 'have what it takes') has been shining through since almost since she walked on the scene.

The only real question is: Is there some sort of history between the two that explains a bit of the WHY she has these motivations.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but I do have a question. Do you believe that Bandana could have done anything to make the situation with Andi better during this mission?
    A LOOOOOOOOONG private sit down chat after this strip at the very least.

Might be too late by then, but a "Shut up and like it" probably wasn't the best of closing arguments.

Preferably after this point though, where we have the second point of Andi backtalking Bandana and she just snaps with a "CAPTAIN Bandana".

She should have realized what was happening between the two of them and addressed it right there, right then, before it got worse.

At the very least, hearing out Andi's grievances wouldn't make her feel disrespected and taken for granted. She might have still simmered and seethed, but at least she would think she is being listened to, if not agreed with.

IMO it's the flagrant ignoring of most/all of what Andi said is what led up to this. Still doesn't make it right or excusable. But it does make it believable.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Great strip! Long time coming, and swiftly arrived.

Will Bandana will tossed off the ship along with the Order? The Mechane clearly has served its purpose, and needs to be off from the story, but maybe Bandana will stick around.

Perhaps Bandana will become a romantic rival for O-Chul for the heart of Oona?!?
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Andi's fundamental position has been that Bandana simply does not deserve and has no right to be captain. That might not have led to mutiny under other circumstances, but I don't really see it being resolved by a long talk either.
    While it could be resolved/mitigated by a long talk, the problem is that Andi's respect for Bandana appears too low to care what Bandana might feel or think; she's only going to listen if Bandana says something Andi already agrees with. For a talk to have a genuine chance of reconciling their differences, it needs the involvement of someone they both respect enough; and Julio's absence is what led to this in the first place.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #164
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Havelocke View Post
    Wow, I didn't think she would go that far as to actually attack her with a wrench! Not looking good for the home team.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    And just like that, Andi deserves to be on the business end of some damage, preferably lethal -- whether it's Roy's greatsword or Julio's sabre, I really don't care anymore. This is a pirate ship? Then deal with it like pirates.

Fortunately for Bandana, the wrench is most likely an improvised weapon dealing nonlethal damage, but like posters upthread said, the added damage of hitting the rail plus the helmsman (Mateo?) changing who he's addressing as "Captain" isn't a good sign. I guess we all just have to wait a couple more weeks to find out.

At this point, quite frankly, if the crew are that enthusiastic for attempting murder and blundering into a dead end, they deserve to lose the ship and their lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    At least Bandana was able to give Andi a piece of her mind before Andi whacked her with a wrench from behind...

Man oh man, I had a modicum of sympathy for Andi up until the point where she started to insult Bandana and commit mutiny via backstabbing (or backwhacking...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    Great job Andi... now you`ll waste all the effort you and your crew have done (and the heroic sacrifice of some of your crewmates) and pass again for that ice giant infested route. If you want to rebel you should did it before or after, but you are maximizing the damage with that course of action. Aggh, pride and ambition always ruins the party.

Also... you remember the end-of-the-world thing?... you´ll die if the heroes don´t arrive in time, wherever you go. Well i guess the order will save you even with this treason.
    You people DO realize she just snapped and didn't actually mean to do that, right? Because it sure seems like you don't get that part.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

I can see two scenarios:

1.-Bandana isn't dead. The ship turns and is taken down by giants, and crashed in the middle of the mountains. becoming so damaged it will need weeks or repairs and resources worth tens of thousands of gold pieces.

When Bandana wakes up, the crew blames her for the disaster and supports Andi, so Bandana joins the OotS, hoping she will be able to find a new ship as a an adventurer. Winter wolves, yetis, ice trolls and frost giants eat most of the crew of the Mechane, the rest having to leave the ship and walk through out of the moutains.

2.-Banana is dead. Andi and the crew lie to the OotS, telling them it was an accident, and asking them to pay for the damage, bring the resources and protect the crew during the repairs. Haley may be able to use Sense Motive to detect the lie, or she may not, but that's irrelevant; the OotS is in a time crunch, and have to save the world, so they may give them gold, but they go anyways (taking the corpse of Bandana with them)

Winter wolves, yetis, ice trolls and frost giants eat most of the crew of the Mechane, the rest having to leave the ship and walk through out of the moutains. And they don't get to keep any gold.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    And just like that, Andi deserves to be on the business end of some damage, preferably lethal -- whether it's Roy's greatsword or Julio's sabre, I really don't care anymore. This is a pirate ship? Then deal with it like pirates.

Fortunately for Bandana, the wrench is most likely an improvised weapon dealing nonlethal damage, but like posters upthread said, the added damage of hitting the rail plus the helmsman (Mateo?) changing who he's addressing as "Captain" isn't a good sign. I guess we all just have to wait a couple more weeks to find out.

At this point, quite frankly, if the crew are that enthusiastic for attempting murder and blundering into a dead end, they deserve to lose the ship and their lives.
    Really? You think killing people for choosing not to have their lives tossed away for reasons they have never had explained to them is appropriate? Bandana is lucky they didn't simply kill her and dump her over the side, it would be self defense at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #167
    Colossus in the Playground

Unknown. Unknowable (short of Rich spelling it out, which means "probably until the next book comes out and we can read its commentary"). I think it's entirely possible that the call-me-captain-bandana thing ticked Andi off; I think it's also equally possible that faced with a meek, verbally extra-courteous, I'm-just-in-charge-while-Captain-Scoundrel's-away Bandana who still gave the same orders and didn't follow Andi's orders...Andi would have hit her even sooner.

I don't think Bandana put one of her best two rolls in Charisma, and maybe if she had she could have averted this, but very likely if she hadn't put them in Intelligence and Dexterity Julio would never have found her competent enough at her job to consider putting her in charge and her position in this scene would be switched with the helmsman.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Her motivation is "this inexperienced captain is going to destroy my precious ship kill us all through her poor judgement".

In fact, her motivation (jealousy, bitterness, thinking Bandana doesn't 'have what it takes') has been shining through since almost since she walked on the scene.

The only real question is: Is there some sort of history between the two that explains a bit of the WHY she has these motivations.
    I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that except, as you noted, where that comes from is entirely unexplored. We don't even really know why she thinks she should have been made captain. She clearly isn't qualified for it, and nothing in-comic establishes that she is even really in the running. She is coming off, to me at least, as completely delusional, which I'm pretty sure is not what Rich is going for here.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Pity Belkar isn't here. He understands this Klingon promotion well, and killing unpopular people.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Ugh. I was one of many who saw this coming and don't see how it benefits the story in any way. I think this book is getting a bad case of this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...yMountainLions I had my doubts about this High Priest of Hel plot so late in the game but stuck with it, but now a mutiny on the Mechane too? I really hope this gets resolved one way or another within the next few strips...

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Really? You think killing people for choosing not to have their lives tossed away for reasons they have never had explained to them is appropriate? Bandana is lucky they didn't simply kill her and dump her over the side, it would be self defense at this point.
    The problem there is that Andi's response is, if anything, MORE likely to get them killed at this point. Her decision making is based on wishful thinking, not a well thought out analysis of the situation and a thorough understanding of the psychology of religious Frost Giants.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Andi's fundamental position has been that Bandana simply does not deserve and has no right to be captain. That might not have led to mutiny under other circumstances, but I don't really see it being resolved by a long talk either.
    Very possibly true! But Bandana not only didn't try very hard, she kept poking the bear.

Personally, I think it isn't just "Bandana doesn't deserve to be Captain (and I do)" it's also "Bandana isn't listening to me good advice".

To put it another way: Frustration and jealously/bitterness is a HELL of a combo.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-01-09 at 04:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
    You people DO realize she just snapped and didn't actually mean to do that, right? Because it sure seems like you don't get that part.
    You say that like frustration is a valid reason to excuse hitting people.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2017-01-09 at 05:00 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The problem there is that Andi's response is, if anything, MORE likely to get them killed at this point. Her decision making is based on wishful thinking, not a well thought out analysis of the situation and a thorough understanding of the psychology of religious Frost Giants.
    No arguments there, the optimal time to have mutinied was when they first saw the frost giants. However there were adventurers on ship at the time.

My argument is about the moral claim that the crew should be executed for resisting the authority of someone they never agreed to leading them to their deaths, not the effecriveness of their resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No arguments there, the optimal time to have mutinied was when they first saw the frost giants. However there were adventurers on ship at the time.

My argument is about the moral claim that the crew should be executed for resisting the authority of someone they never agreed to leading them to their deaths, not the effecriveness of their resistance.
    I don't think its a moral claim, I think its an intellectual one. "too stupid to live" and all that.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

If they didn't want to risk their lives for reasons they might not have explained to them, then maybe they shouldn't have joined a pirate ship. The cook doesn't get to question the captain, for instance, especially in the heat of battle.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    You say that like frustration is a valid reason to excuse hitting people.
    You mean it isn't?

Crap... I'll have to tell my Elder Scrolls players to stop killing the Annoying Fan.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    You mean it isn't?

Crap... I'll have to tell my Elder Scrolls players to stop killing the Annoying Fan.
    The Annoying Fan is a perfectly acceptable target even without any additional excuses. You can tell because he keeps getting resurrected. he's clearly just a respawning monster.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that except, as you noted, where that comes from is entirely unexplored. We don't even really know why she thinks she should have been made captain. She clearly isn't qualified for it, and nothing in-comic establishes that she is even really in the running. She is coming off, to me at least, as completely delusional, which I'm pretty sure is not what Rich is going for here.
    i dont think Andi thinks she should be captain, to her Julio is still captain and Bandana is just a stand in

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

I am disappointed in Andi.

*sips tea*

But not surprised.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".