New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXVIII: Get. In. The. BAG.

Confession: I like optimizing Pokémon for the Go great league way too much. I have 25 creatures build for it, I'm almost out of charged TM's, I use two separate spreadsheats in deciding which mon to use and how, and I have hardly anyone to play against.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Banned

Planetar

What new mechanics do you think that a theoretical boost to certain mon in Gen 8 could be? Gen 7 had mega evolution for 1 new Pokémon, but introduced Z-Crystals.

I'd be interested in seeing what would be done with updates to GSC and DPP along the lines of ORAS.

Gen2 Starters need a buff: Mega Form might see them raise a couple.

Ground/Fire for Typhlosion would see it get a really powerful attacking combo to utilise with Burn Up that Rock types are not going to want to switch in on, while giving some mitigated resilience to Water types so that an Aqua jet doesn't kill it. Perhaps giving it Stamina to let it tank hits while Empowering Eruption.

Feraligatr is still decent, but Life Orb Sheer Power is already a +40% uptick on damage, so the only possible replacement for it is Huge Power as a Mega form. Failing that, I'd love to see some form of physical Water Magma Storm so it can trap and set up SD's in peace.

Meganium is hot garbage: best I could see is changing its Hidden ability to be Sunny Day and making its mega form some form of Flower Gift, maybe giving it Grass/Fire Type so that it can use some form of Fire/Grass offensive combo?

Legendary Birds: just give them primal forms to bring down appropriate weather, so that Articuno can finally be a decent Dual Screen Setter.

Legendary Beasts: Giving them a Galvinise/Aerillate type effect might add to their usefulness? ~170BP Facade's pranging around would hurt. Cremate sounds awesome as a fire type. Give Suicune Boomburst and Liquid Voice might be interesting to shut down Substitute abusers.

Hooh and Lugia are already top tier. Hooh losing Regenerator is bad for it. Lugia could possibly gain Delta Stream to make Aeroblast scurry, but Multiscale is good. Only option is to side grade them and give them more offensive options with the primal forms.

Palkia: Give this primal lad Super Luck or Sniper and watch it just tear things apart.

Dialga: Primal Dialga with Analytic would give it a niche boost over DM Necrozma, especially given that it can pack Flamethrower or something at it.

Giratiba: already has the two forms and the Orb that allows changes between. This Orb should have a mega form for either, that allows an Origin form to become tankier and vice versa, os it has the possibility to run at least 4 different sets, or adapt as the battle goes on.

Other mon I'd like to see upticked include Rapidash, Tentacruel, Dewgong, Kingler, Lapras, Omastar and Kabutops, Noctowl, Ariados, Crobat, Slowking, Donphan, Flygon, Milotic, Walrein, Luxray, Cherrim, Bronzing, Spiritomb, Drapion, and Regigigas

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    The people you're playing do know they are playing Ubers, right? And can take decent mon. Torkoal, Whismicott?

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    The people you're playing do know they are playing Ubers, right? And can take decent mon. Torkoal, Whismicott?
    I like Whimsicott, it at least does something unique, but... jeez, this team.

I mean, I guess this guy was one hundred percent committed to his "sweeper Blissey" idea, so I have to give them props for sticking to their principles.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2019-02-09 at 09:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I figure I've got the Go master league meta mostly figured out. That's the PvP setting with no CP restrictions.

Defensive Pokémon tend to do best overall, that's just Pokémon Go. There's several strong defenders with high CP's: Tyranitar, Groudon, Rhyperior, or Aggron in a pinch.

All of those are weak to water. They're all weak to grass as well (well, Aggron is neutral to grass), but since water types tend to be stonger, you'll typically see a Kyogre, Gyarados or Vaporeon in the second slot. Gyarados is a bit of a risk being weak to rock type attacks, but with good shield use it usually does the job.

Since your opponent will be bringing a water type, you can't use the third spot to double down with an extra strong defender, so we've got a wildcard. Mewtwo is too attack focused and gets chewed up by any good opponent, so the wildward will often end up being one of the strong dragon types. Dragonite, Salamence or another legendary. This wild card should be able to take out the water type, forming a neat little triangle, since the strong defender will in a type neutral matchup defeat this guy.

So our basic team is Tyranitar (or Groudon), Vaporeon (or Kyogre or Gyarados), Dragonite (or Salamence, or like a dozen other options because that's what a wildcard is). If you get the matchups right, you beat the other team. If he goes for just one or two of these categories, like two dragons and a Tyranitar, you've got all the counters you need. If the other guy uses completely completely different Pokémon, he loses because you're using pretty much the strongest options available.

From here on in all the changes you make are to help you get the matchups right. This often means having mon that can take on their equal on the other team. Groudon and Rhyperior for instance, being ground types, are strong vs Tyranitar. Use one of those and if you get to that matchup, he will be forced to switch out to his water type. You go for your dragon, he can't switch again, you get preferable matchups from there on in. Mamoswine as an ice type has favorible matchups against all the previously named strong defenders, and the ice typing also helps it against the dragon, so it doesn't matter that it does not have as much raw power as the other options. Except if the opponent uses a variation of their own, using Metagross as their strong defender (while you loaded up on ice attacks for Mamoswine because those are stronger), or using Machamp or Giratina as their wildcard/"dragon".

Making the right variations and putting the right mon in the right place make all the difference, but in general I think most of the successful master league teams will roughly follow this formula. Strong defender (usually ground or rock typed), counter (usually water typed), wildcard (often dragon typed, but out of the three the least predictable component).

The other two leagues are a lot more complex. The strong defensive options are a lot more spread out over the types, and the complexity snowballs from there. I also give no guarantees about what defense Deoxys will do to any of the leagues.

Also, this analysis was based on maybe a handful of matches. It might be completely wrong, I just like feeling clever.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-02-16 at 12:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Confession: I like optimizing Pokémon for the Go great league way too much. I have 25 creatures build for it, I'm almost out of charged TM's, I use two separate spreadsheats in deciding which mon to use and how, and I have hardly anyone to play against.
    I have one go-to Great League party (Altaria, Umbreon, Meganium) that has so far gone undefeated even though none of them have their second move unlocked. Meganium is also great for slaying Blanche's Great League training crew (fast attacks vs Magikarp gives you the energy to Frenzy Plant Feebas and Squirtle in one shot each).
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I have one go-to Great League party (Altaria, Umbreon, Meganium) that has so far gone undefeated even though none of them have their second move unlocked. Meganium is also great for slaying Blanche's Great League training crew (fast attacks vs Magikarp gives you the energy to Frenzy Plant Feebas and Squirtle in one shot each).
    Vine whip frenzy plant Meganium is absolutely a beast, perhaps the single best Pokémon in the entire meta right now. Mine is, by an incredible stroke of luck, shiny. But my top tip is Whiscash. It has defensive stats, a typing with only one weakness, mud shot and mud bomb as a high damage combo, Barboach is very common (around here at least), it has other charge moves that are good for coverage and unlocking its second charge move is cheap. (Starters like Meganium have a cheap unlock as well, but Meganium has less useful options.) Vigoroth and Sealeo are beasts as well, and Azumarill has almost Blissey-like stats but also some pretty good moves to use them on.

Slaying Blanche's great league training crew is kind of a low bar. I tried picking the worst possible Pokémon (out of my great league collection) for it, it still takes no time at all. A slightly better test of decent great league mon is beating the master league training teams.

I'm thinking of typing out some pvp tips for my local raid group, to breed myself more opponents. I'm currently the great league and master league champion, and yesterday I got my ultra league game together. The Mamoswine and Feraligatr are kind of average, but that vine whip frenzy plant venusaur is going to wreck, and they cover well for each other. Ones I get a shot at the title they won't stand a chance. [/baseless trash talk]
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-02-18 at 09:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Swinub community day came and went. Caught three shinies. Hated every moment of it. I mean it's another winter event and it was only -28C out with the wind. I made 1 lap around the local park before my screen tapping hand was starting to turn pink and puffy so I retreated to my car and alternating between a couple parking lots with stops for my hunting. Also one of my car tires went low and needed topping up. And even after I filled it the light on my console didn't go off. Annoying.

Also it's friggin swinub. There are few pokemon I hate as much as swinub. When they first came out they were over represented in the spawn pools along with snubbull. Couldn't find anything else to save my life. Their attack to avoid being caught is about twice as long as it really needs to be and they seem to use it often making them a chore to catch. I'm also not a fan of needing items to evolve things. The initial set of evolution items quickly became too abundant so I end up throwing away allot of them since they just take up storage space. Sinnoh stones meanwhile remain too rare. Just another hoop to jump though and introduces another layer of RNG. Oh and it was one of the evolutions that was needlessly held back long after the introduction of the mechanic.

Stat changing moves are... interesting. Brings a hint of strategy to the PVP mechanics. But relies on RNG so it's undependable and swingy. Thanks I hate it.

Speaking of pvp. The honeymoon is over. I'm bored of it and I resent being forced to participate in it to farm for stones. Kinda like raiding it's a mechanic that forces me to play by other people's schedules or else beg people over the local messenger group to do if I want to do it at a time that's convenient for me. And the worst part is that it doesn't have to be this way. The PVP combat isn't deep enough that we couldn't just set our teams and let an AI handle the side of the person challenged. It wouldn't be as good at swapping or shield timing or shield baiting but who cares? It's not like there are stakes anyway.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Banned

Planetar

Playing pokemon go seems to be the problem there. It took any joy I had out of playing pokemon. I love things LIKE showdown, because it allows me to play the end game PvP without needing to ruin the games with needless grinding.

It was why ORAS' pokefinder thing was the best ever, it told you when you were completed. Not needing to fight endless pokemon to catch the one you want, just walk in the area.

I loved the Pokémon Bank. It allows me to transfer my already powerful/shiny pokemon from previous editions into the new ones. Utilise new Tutors, TM's etc. Revel in outdated ones, etc.

I love the idea of the Bottle Caps, although wish they were less rare, even just the silver ones (say 1 Silver Coin every week from defending Champion). They allow me to make my in game team potentially viable in competitive ones. I'd like to see a Nature and Ability changer to allow hidden abilities, but at least for the former, I'm not sure if that's ethically something Game Freak want to dip their toe into.

All of these are, or have (or would have, for the wishlists) allowed me to enjoy the games at their fullest, without requiring me to grind so much, the joy was removed from the game when I picked up the latest in the generation.

Pokemon Go seemingly however takes the worst part of pokemon, the grinding parts, and throws it in with RNG, forces you to catch multiples of the same mon, and switch out the pokemon who is better rather than one you have invested time in training, the worst part of mobile games, and then dilutes it even further with joyless mechanics of battling.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I can tolerate some grind. I'm just in a bad mood about it being an awful several weeks of winter. Because that's what's getting in the way of the good things about GO. If I could just go for an evening walk every other day for a few hours or hang out in the park on community days with the dozens of friends I've met through the game, then things would be fine. Also everything is breaking. My phone, my car... for the same reasons. Yesterday I even cut my hand open when my window scraper snapped in half while I was using it. My ancestors were damned morons for settling one of the coldest regions of the world.

In a way it's a good thing community day was for something like swinub I couldn't give a damn about. If they dropped something I actually cared about then I'd be mad. I get that as a game played around the world they can't just not put out events during winter. But in some alternate world where they save up their content for spring releases.... I wouldn't be opposed.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Let's do something fun and analyze the battles for Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee. Which team will win the battle: Both teams are at max Level 100.

Team 1:

Mega Charizard X
    Ninetales
    Arcanine
    Rapidash
    Magmar
    Flareon

Team 2:

Articuno
    Zapdos
    Moltres
    Mega Mewtwo X
    Mew
    Melmetal

Just for fun.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-02-24 at 11:18 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Banned

Planetar

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com

This is the showdown page if you wanna test it out. I don't have a switch and find that stripped down nature of the games to be a regression, so I'm can only comment on Gen 7... And the gen 7 Team 1 is garbage. Mega Mewtwo X Stone Edge eats that team alive, and with Mew spreading Stones like no tomorrow, it's a cakewalk.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

My all Fire Type Team won their first battle. It was a very close one. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/g...ions-867086370
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-02-24 at 02:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know the best way to say this, but your opponent was terrible. Using Iron Tail, Heat Wave, and Blizzard against a Mono Fire team; in addition to holding Lapras and their Charizard until the end, was just a series of poor decisions.

I won't get too much into running an Ash themed team, since you'll always find someone doing it, but yeah; your opponent played like it was their first game online.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    I don't know the best way to say this, but your opponent was terrible. Using Iron Tail, Heat Wave, and Blizzard against a Mono Fire team; in addition to holding Lapras and their Charizard until the end, was just a series of poor decisions.

I won't get too much into running an Ash themed team, since you'll always find someone doing it, but yeah; your opponent played like it was their first game online.
    I know it was a joke opponent.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who with either a HA Tyrunt, HA Tepig, or a HA Cranidos that would be willing to trade for a female HA Amaura?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

If my opponent was that bad I should have chosen a Mono Magikarp team since Magikarp is my favourite Pokemon.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, you do you
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Ok, you do you
    Will do.

Beside I would like to invite everybody to challenge my Mono Fire Type Pokemon Team who at least take their online game a bit seriously and know how to play the game. I really need to face real players.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-02-26 at 09:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Will do.

Beside I would like to invite everybody to challenge my Mono Fire Type Pokemon Team who at least take their online game a bit seriously and know how to play the game. I really need to face real players.
    I've got some theme teams I can battle semi-half decently with. I do really like several types that are advantaged vs fire though...

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I've got some theme teams I can battle semi-half decently with. I do really like several types that are advantaged vs fire though...
    Ok, I play Let's Go No Restriction Version. My user name in Pokemon Showdown is Bartmanhomer.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, I play Let's Go No Restriction Version. My user name in Pokemon Showdown is Bartmanhomer.
    I'll look you up tomorrow. I'll check if my "ingame boss" team is legal for that mode.

Edit: O no, of course not, Let's go is first gen only. I'll see what I can do to make this sort of fair while still using the pokémon I know best.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-02-26 at 03:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'll look you up tomorrow. I'll check if my "ingame boss" team is legal for that mode.

Edit: O no, of course not, Let's go is first gen only. I'll see what I can do to make this sort of fair while still using the pokémon I know best.
    As long it isn't Ash Ketchum theme team. Just be very creative, strategical and tactical and also original with your team.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Troll in the Playground

As long it isn't Ash Ketchum theme team. Just be very creative, strategical and tactical and also original with your team.
    It's more that my regular "main theme" is bipedal ground, water, rock and ice types. That's my secret to being semi-half decent, I base all my knowledge of moves, abilities and type matchups on a(n admittedly rather random) restricted subset of pokémon. If I'm going to throw a team together for one match, especially in a new format where half the moves are gone, that's what I know, so that's what I'd use. Normally I'd try to make a team like that as well rounded as possible, meaning there would be some prey in there for fire types. The ice type of course, maybe a secondary bug type as a defense against grass, often a steel type as well, the works. With just gen 1 I might have to call in some random pokémon to make this anywhere near balanced. It has a pretty large number of Pokémon that fit my criteria, but there are a lot of overlapping types and such. But I'll worry about that.

EDIT: Might become tomorrow or something instead, wild plans appeared, they attacked.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-02-27 at 04:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's more than my regular "main theme" is bipedal ground, water, rock and ice types. That's my secret to being semi-half decent, I base all my knowledge of moves, abilities and type matchups on an (n admittedly rather random) restricted subset of pokémon. If I'm going to throw a team together for one match, especially in a new format where half the moves are gone, that's what I know, so that's what I'd use. Normally I'd try to make a team like that as well rounded as possible, meaning there would be some prey in there for fire types. The ice type, of course, maybe a secondary bug type as a defence against grass, often a steel type as well, the works. With just gen 1 I might have to call in some random pokémon to make this anywhere near balanced. It has a pretty large number of Pokémon that fit my criteria, but there are a lot of overlapping types and such. But I'll worry about that.

EDIT: Might become tomorrow or something instead, wild plans appeared, they attacked.
    Cool. I'm looking forward to our Let's Go battle. Also, I'm a Generation 1 Player back in the day. I wasn't interested in other Generations because I wasn't really interested. But now I'm interested in playing Pokemon again.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

For those who haven't seen. Major news just dropped for Pokemon.

Spoiler: In case you don't want to know
    Show
    Pokemon Sword and Shield were just announced, no idea on a release date except "later this year". Starters are a "chimp" grass type, fire bunny and water lizard. The region is called Galar and it's based on the UK from the map and regions.

Gotta say. Pretty excited.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Firbolg in the Playground

Defeated a melmetal in a gym for the first time yesterday. That ot melts into a puddle amused me greatly.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Pokemon Sword and Shield. Nice. I saw the trailer of the game. Looks good.