New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXVIII: Get. In. The. BAG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I also would've like a 'mute' option. I just wanted to chuck that thing into the ocean, and go without. It was one of two things that genuinely annoyed me about the game.
    They finally start moving away from "silent protagonist" aaaand...

Guess you can't please everyone.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I don't think it's slower, overall, but the places where it is are much more noticeable... especially because they seem to come up every ten steps.

Yeah, that's one of the things I liked least. It seemed as if you were on a railroad for most of the game. There were a few places off the beaten path, but there didn't seem to be that many just random places on a route to explore, compared to games past. The path-blocking Pokémon were particularly grating.

I also would've like a 'mute' option. I just wanted to chuck that thing into the ocean, and go without. It was one of two things that genuinely annoyed me about the game.
    Spoiler: Tangent
    Show
    The thing that annoyed me most was the introduction of the Battle Royals. You've been doing your battling, then face a nice, level-appropriate (to where you should be), introduction to this new battling style. Great! Even if it's just as laggy as other things with 4 Pokémon, it's cool. I want to try more. So, head up to the counter... and, with no warning, the battles are post-game challenges. My first Battle Royal, there were two opponents with Mega Stones. I wasn't even able to get a single attack in, and there was no way to forfeit. That's bad game design, showing this cool new thing, giving a tiny taste of it, and then gating it until late-game. It would have been so easy to just have the opponents set to the level of your highest participant, but, no. That just infuriated me, because there was no indication talking to any attendants that it was all level 50 post-game stuff.
    These would be my prime complaints about the game as well.

I was briefly happy when first entering Akala Island as I believed I could take the trials in any order I wished and explore the island at my leisure now that I've cleared the de facto game tutorial only to learn its just as linear a path as any other game in the series.

I mean, they've already segmented off the game into four stages with the islands - and the ride pokemon serve more to access restricted places on the map than control the pacing of the game here - Sun/Moon could have been a lot less restrictive without changing much of the core experience.

I realize there's difficulty issues when you remove the linear progression, but that presupposes that the difficulty can't be adjusted based on your party -- which I'm not willing to accept is a genuine insurmountable problem in making a game in 2016. Particularly a game which throws in obtuse formula for insipid things like Friendship.

Related to that -- I think one change they should have considered is some reason your character would need to keep encountering Lillie across the game world. Beyond the meta-knowledge as a person playing the game that those flags are needed to keep going there's often no real reason for my character as a trial-goer to actually go to those places the map indicate except a total lack of agency. The problem with that is it would require some characterization for your PC.

As to Rotom, it's boring. Rather than a mute option, maybe make it more of a character in the narrative and give it some fun dialogue. There's a few scenes of interaction that I can recall, I think... but mostly it's just kind of there, like Navi from Legend of Zelda.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2017-02-02 at 12:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

I am now picturing a Rotom Dex that plays the "Hey!" and "Listen!" sounds every time its dialogue appears. And I'm gonna have to go to sleep with that idea.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    As to Rotom, it's boring. Rather than a mute option, maybe make it more of a character in the narrative and give it some fun dialogue. There's a few scenes of interaction that I can recall, I think... but mostly it's just kind of there, like Navi from Legend of Zelda.
    I referred to it as NetNavi throughout my playthrough. Mostly because it kept telling me stuff that wasn't really helpful, and almost as a hope, because I was really hoping I'd eventually get to use it in battle in some way.

(As a note, I went in blind, so I didn't know about the Rotom Dex before. So, at first, it was this is cool! Then I actually found out what it did. Or, rather, what it didn't. Give me the PokéNav or Pokétch and Match Call every day. (Or, really, any way to rebattle trainers other than the E4. Seriously.))
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Does anyone have any experience with ROMhacks? I've been mulling over the idea of making a plausible Poke-world for a while:

There is a new map - every city is relatively close together, and most exploration happens outwards of the "core" of the map that contains the cities.
    The player can choose to start in every city, which affects his choice of starter Pokemon.
    The gym leaders are badasses that won't entertain a challenge from a rookie trainer. They are all similar in power to the Elite 4.
    Overworld trainers will only challenge the player if he is in the right level range. Ace Trainers all over the world won't bother with your level 5 Pikachu. Youngsters all over the world won't challenge your level 40 Charizard.
    The main quest involves the player joining a gym, which is how he gets his starter. The player must work his way up the gym hierarchy, which involves actually training in the gym as well as ranging into the overworld to find new Pokemon, new trainers to fight, and probably stop some Team Rocket shenanigans, as it tradition.

Not sure how difficult it would be to build such a radical departure from the base games though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

I suspect that at that point what you want is less a ROMhack, and more a fangame that runs on a PC, like Pokemon Zeta/Omicron or Pokemon Uranium

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

A romhack sounds... difficult. You're hacking the executable code, so you're working in assembly language and getting most of your data from disassemblers like IDAPro. Entirely discarding the map assets and making new connections between your new maps and event triggers will be a pain. And you're planning on creating new gameplay forms, which is more or less insane unless you're breaking up the assembly dump into .o files and figuring out how to get the .c code to interface with the dump. I'm not an expert by any means, so I may be entirely off base on the process, but... yeah. Do not try an overhaul that big with a ROMHack. At that point, see if an existing fan Pokemon game has an open source code base and piggyback off that, after getting their permission and pointers.

This is all assuming you're dumping the code from the ROM onto a PC and making a game for emulators. If you're trying to keep this on chip, you just added a whole new layer of complexity.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98

Sounds like a Pokémon MMO.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Sounds like a Pokémon MMO.
    Personally, I can't understand why they didn't do that 10+ years ago. They'd make billions off of it.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Personally, I can't understand why they didn't do that 10+ years ago. They'd make billions off of it.
    I think Nintendo is too caught up in playing the nanny to make one.

It'd probably be a dated/backwards experience compared to modern MMO's because Nintendo just can't seem to wrap their heads around doing online stuff right. They're getting closer one painful step at a time, but still not close enough to do an MMO right.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    It'd probably be a dated/backwards experience compared to modern MMO's because Nintendo just can't seem to wrap their heads around doing online stuff right. They're getting closer one painful step at a time, but still not close enough to do an MMO right.
    ...Um. Given the advent of Festival Plaza, I'd argue they're going backwards faster than they're going forwards.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Because an MMO doesn't fit with Pokémon's franchise strategy. The main series games have been on the portable systems because it fits how they want the games to be played (people of all ages, particularly children, engaging in multiplayer primarily at the local level), and making an MMO that could possibly compete with the main series as it is would essentially take WoW-level investment.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    ...Um. Given the advent of Festival Plaza, I'd argue they're going backwards faster than they're going forwards.
    I haven't looked at it much admittedly, none of the people who show up in it ever give me points, not even my husbands PC, so I never bothered to try to figure it out. This perfectly illustrates your point doesn't it?

It does seem to vary from game to game though, just how bad the online/multiplayer experience is when we're talking about Nintendo.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

This is in no way a defense of Festival Plaza, just that I had similar first impressions, so I just wanna throw out some fast points to clarify how Festival Plaza works confused about it.

Spoiler: The quick off-my-head and heavily-biased guide to Festival Plaza
    Show

The big, fastest tip from Festival Plaza is, earning FC by talking to people is a wash, play Type-Matchup or Inverse Type-Matchup missions if you want FC.

That said, NPCs that are ready to give you points can be identified prior to talking to them by their red dialogue bubble. If you intend on earning points by talking to NPCs, having one of each of the following in your plaza will cover all the bases for the NPC location requests:
    • Restaurant or Cafe
    • Bounce House or Haunted House
    • Store

That said, NPCs can still request "Do you know how I feel?" which means they have a random store they want to go to and good luck reading their minds.
    You then also want to view all of their records and guest data, because they can also request "Battle! Battle!" or "I want to Meet! I want to Meet!" which is basically a pop quiz on their stats and either your stats or other peoples' stats. I guess you can abuse setting VIP to guarantee the same people with the same stats will be in your plaza every time, but I must reiterate that this is a lousy way of making points.

The "Important" levels for your Festival Plaza are:
    • Level 4- Play Missions. Don't know who the heck thought it was a good idea to make this feature an unlockable.
    • Level 8- Buy stores from other players. This sounds like a boon, but it actually kind of sucks because good stores take a mountain of FC and the store that people offer to sell you is random so you have trouble even guaranteeing they'll give you a good store.
    • Level 30- After becoming champion, stores (shops, bounce houses, cafes, restaurants) can now have bonus services- buying poke-expensive items with FC and higher stat-mod changers.
    • Level 100- You have no further reason to level up your Festival Plaza.

So like I said, the fastest way to earn FC is to play Type-Matchup or Inverse Type-Matchup missions while online so strangers have the ability to join your mission. You will make 30 to 50 FC off of each mission, and you'll get 3 tickets a day (give or take some bonus ones from other sources) from the lady in front of the Plaza castle. It is possible that talking to NPCs to earn FC will be helpful after expending those tickets, however, even if you have no tickets you can still join in on other peoples' missions and earn a similar amount of FC as if you did the mission yourself. If you have a bunch of friends you can get together online at the same time- or just happen to be online during peak hours to join strangers' missions- there is no reason not to share everyone's tickets and get more missions done. As a matter of fact, since you have more people working, you'll be closer to the 50FC end of your results. This is where Sun and Moon's online social presence shines and gives you an advantage. That is not a compliment to Sun and Moon's online features.

Now, if you don't see anyone else running missions and are out of tickets, then yes, go ahead and find people with red dialogue boxes. I am led to a superstition that if Nintendo's servers consider you an "idler," the game won't show you any active missions you can join, but I have no way of confirming that superstition.

Because grinding Type Matchup missions gets boring halfway through the 1st time, you might want to consider some other mission type. Don't. They're all equally boring (with the possible exception of Tauros Smash), and are generally "harder" to get high scores because you have to sort through people that won't be able to give you points towards completing the mission. Additionally, everyone else looking for missions to join will want Type Matchups for their FC payout, so you'll have a smaller amount of strangers interested in helping you. There's a tragedy of something-or-other concept here, but Festival Plaza is boring enough without the philosophy discussion.

But seriously, unless you want something exclusive to Festival Plaza? I think that's pretty much clothing and Festival Plaza itself? Look towards Poke Pelago instead. Yes, I know, once it is perfectly sat up Festival Plaza is faster than Poke Pelago, and you can use both so there's not really an excuse to not do Festival Plaza except it's a huge slog, but seriously- going to sleep 3 nights versus playing five billion missions just isn't a good investment to reward match. That's coming from someone who considers Mohn kind of creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with ROMhacks? I've been mulling over the idea of making a plausible Poke-world for a while:

There is a new map - every city is relatively close together, and most exploration happens outwards of the "core" of the map that contains the cities.
    The player can choose to start in every city, which affects his choice of starter Pokemon.
    The gym leaders are badasses that won't entertain a challenge from a rookie trainer. They are all similar in power to the Elite 4.
    Overworld trainers will only challenge the player if he is in the right level range. Ace Trainers all over the world won't bother with your level 5 Pikachu. Youngsters all over the world won't challenge your level 40 Charizard.
    The main quest involves the player joining a gym, which is how he gets his starter. The player must work his way up the gym hierarchy, which involves actually training in the gym as well as ranging into the overworld to find new Pokemon, new trainers to fight, and probably stop some Team Rocket shenanigans, as it tradition.

Not sure how difficult it would be to build such a radical departure from the base games though.
    I can't fault ambition, but in terms of a hack, and what sounds like your first hack of this magnitude? Your goalposts are sat too high. I think current tools would allow you to maybe fake-up half of those and have a really unsatisfying main quest, or get stuck in development hell.

As said before, you're looking more towards a fan game, which would give you more direct control over specific events and how many of them you even have. I understand that Pokemon Essentials via RPG Maker XP is in vogue, but I have not used either so I cannot attest to either's potential. However, breaking down all of those concepts into into individual comparisons- "If player started in town X, then make NPC Y appear and take him to location A where pokemon 1, 2, and 3 can be selected," "If average party level is less than or equal to 20, then display dialogue and start battle, else display other dialogue," "if player has key item 'foo,' allower player to access map for quest 'bar'"- are all fundamental programming challenges that should be possible in any tool willing to allow you resources to perform them, and these tools will be far more willing to allow you those resources far more easily than hacking.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2017-02-03 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Added second quote and response.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    This sounds like a boon, but it actually kind of sucks because good stores take a mountain of FC and the store that people offer to sell you is random so you have trouble even guaranteeing they'll give you a good store.
    As a note, it's not actually random. The game doesn't tell you this, but it's whatever your "favorite store" is, which is the one in the "first position" in your plaza. Namely, the one directly to the right when exiting the castle. No, I don't know why this is, or why the game doesn't tell you. Seems fairly important, in a sea of arbitrary decisions.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Well, that sucks. I keep my Dye Shop there because I want all my Bounce Houses in a row behind the castle. Guess I'll have to change that for anyone's convenience.
    ---

17. - Top - End - #107
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well it's about time.
    After three months of waiting I'm finally starting to see some Sun and Moon merchandise on the shelves. Both toys (though $10 per figure is a bit ridiculous, I did however find a cheaper Japanese option) as well as also finally starting to see some of the Sun and Moon cards. Granted I haven't so much as picked up a pack of the Pokemon TCG in well over a decade, but I might just pick up a pack here just on principle. I am still annoyed that on the toy front it's still just the overpriced individually-packed starters (and the Box Legendaries if you count the Japanese line I found), it is however a start though but I just hope that's extended in the near future because goodness knows they really didn't hold much back with toys for X&Y...

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Now that Pokebank is updated, Does anyone have a Heliolisk with a high Special Attack IV they'd be willing to trade me?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So. This is a thing. Not terribly happy about limited windows of opportunity, but at least we'll have an opportunity to get the rest of the mega stones.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    So. This is a thing. Not terribly happy about limited windows of opportunity, but at least we'll have an opportunity to get the rest of the mega stones.
    Do the Pokemon people - Game Freak or whatever - ultimately not like the effect Mega-Evolutions had on the meta? I don't know, I only collected the mega-stones to see what they'd look like. The presumption I saw from fandom prior to Sun/Moon details being released was that they were hotly anticipating or at least resigned to new Mega-evolutions, not that they'd be utterly absent from the world and drip fed back in.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Uuurgh.

Participation prizes in online competions?

Wonderful. So if I want (eventually) Lopunite, I have to go and lose three battles (since there is no fracking way I'm arsing about racing to make a team of any description).

I'm sure that won't annoy some of folk that actually want a competiion by kludging things up with people who don't actually want to play but are just showing up for their megastones. (I mean, some of the people will no doubt be delighted by the chance to curb-stomp people because they enjoy it, even if the other side basically throws the battle or something.)

I don't even know how those competions work, though, so I might be way off: if it's a knock-out round or something, you'd presumably actually have to win two battles, so that won't limit availabilty even further. (And so locking the megastones basically out from everyone but actually good competative players.)

This is, to quote Jim Sterling, a very Nintendo move.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Usually the bottom ranks aren't full of people who'll be doing much curb stomping if that helps any.

Or at least that was my experience with XY for the brief couple of months I did online battling.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looks like it's time to remake Team Explosion.

Gating this content behind PVP doesn't sit well with me though. On that note, does anyone have HA Amaura or Tyrunt for trade?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp, I guess I'll have to start migrating the results of my goal to IV-breed, EV-train and level to 100 every fully evolved pokemon to Moon a bit early. On the upside, I should have at least a few gems in the group that can be sent over.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I don't even know how those competions work, though, so I might be way off: if it's a knock-out round or something, you'd presumably actually have to win two battles, so that won't limit availabilty even further. (And so locking the megastones basically out from everyone but actually good competative players.)
    The competition in which I participated (one where they allowed every Mythical and Legendary in a Double Battle format... Lots of Darkrais in there) was effectively "You gotta play random ranked matches," so winning and losing doesn't matter. For what it's worth, even in my April Fools' battle teams, there's also lots of people that just don't know how to play the game.

That said? Once the competition is over and they've distributed the results, I can just cheat in 999 mega stones and start trading them away if you don't care that much for competitions.

Anyone else reading in between the lines of that message, though? It implies that they feel Mega Lopunny has a stronger influence on the metagame than Mega Gengar, Mega Slowbro, Mega Kangaskahn, and Mega Rayquaza.

Edit: Gonna try taking on the Battle Tree. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2017-02-05 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Added last statement, didn't want to double post.
    ---

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

So I haven't seen any threads on Pokemon Duel and after searching the forums, it brought me here.

I've been playing for the last few days now and while I like the concept of the game it has a few really, really big flaws.

For those who are unaware, Pokemon Duel is a Gacha-based pseudo collect-a-thon PVP board game. Two trainers create a team of 6 mons (you can have up to 3 copies of one mon) and you try to reach the enemy's goal with your figure to win.

Spoiler: Gacha discussion
    Show

Gachapon, or gacha for short, are japanese blind bags. They're usually these opaque balls in what looks like a gumball machine, where you put your money in, turn a crank and get a ball, containing a blind bag prize. The prizes available are usually advertised on the machine.

Gacha-based games are basically gambling. There isn't always an even distribution of all possibilities and while i've seen some pretty scummy and badly done ones, Pokemon Duel is not one of them. Honestly this is probably the most transparen

The Gacha isn't actually that bad: the sealed boxes are 50gems a piece (57 gems comes to $5.49CAN and 200 can cost you about $22CAN) and as a free to play you get up to 3 gems per story mode level by completing objectives, and often get some simply by reaching certain progress points, completing daily missions or as a login bonus. You may also get a free 1-pull ticket from events, story mode or the big prize wheel for completing 10 daily missions.

In these pulls you get X amount of figures in your blind pulls.

50 gems - 1 fig, 50 mats
    100 gems - 2 figs, 1 plate, 100 mats
    200 gems - 4 figs, 2 plates, 200 mats. guaranteed at least 1 Rare or EX figure.

You can also spend gems on "Plates", which are once per match items that have various effects. These are not consumeables and you can reuse the same plates over and over and are an integral part of your deck.

You also the blue shard materials you can trade in on these blind pulls for basically any figure, even the EX ones or some not currently available in the random pulls, like Shuppet.

C - 250
    UC - 450
    R - 1800
    EX - 4000

So after doing 2 4-pulls and a single pull from a ticket in story mode, you can afford a UC Shuppet.

As I said though, they're also VERY transparent about your chances to get the figures and openly state which ones are available in the blind pulls and your draw chances for each figure. So if you want Zapdos, well it's a 0.50% chance per any given pull. There's a "Box Contents" button on the booster selection screen in the store that gives the fullest breakdown I've ever seen in a Gacha game.

They're not the best odds, but they're very open about them and to me that at least means a lot.

You also get free timer based pulls (longer timer = better pull chances) for winning ranked games and once per day after getting 10 "keys" (3 for a ranked win, 1 for loss) you get a free pull from a "purple" timer box (which means 1 UC or higher fig and some XP/CLv/high sale value "cubes")

The game itself is pretty fun at it's core, where you have to take turns maneuvering your figures across the board to capture the enemy's goal, but one large gameplay issue is currently making me consider dropping the game: Shuppet and the current super aggressive meta in the 1500-1900 ELO brackets.

I have a decent deck: Zapdos, Leafeon, Salamence x2, Wobbuffet & Shuppet. Zapdos is my muscle, the Mence twins are consistent pressure, Wobbuffet sits on my goal while Leafeon and Shuppet run around the board applying pressure.

And those two last figs? They're really good at pressure. Too good (not just them mind you, most Rare or EX figures with 3 movement are REALLY good at applying that pressure like the other Eeveelutions, the Lati@s twins or Greninja) IMO when you consider plates like Hurdle Jump (jump over an enemy's mon and into the square behind them) being available makes for a very high-pressure game and the reliance on RNG to resolve combat you're usually better off finding a way around or over or through your enemies rather then waste a turn maybe killing them (that's not to say attacking enemy mons doesn't have it's place).

And that's my problem right now: very few ways to counter this aggressive play other then either waste your first two turns going onto your goal (and likely losing an entry point while doing so) or hope to RNG them away (Shuppet has a somewhat reliable status move to help him avoid taking while Leafeon has both a pure dodge and a reliable sleep effect).

I like a lot of the concepts and the transparency the devs have, but the gameplay is starting to frustrate me.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    So I haven't seen any threads on Pokemon Duel and after searching the forums, it brought me here.

I've been playing for the last few days now and while I like the concept of the game it has a few really, really big flaws.

For those who are unaware, Pokemon Duel is a Gacha-based pseudo collect-a-thon PVP board game. Two trainers create a team of 6 mons (you can have up to 3 copies of one mon) and you try to reach the enemy's goal with your figure to win.

Spoiler: Gacha discussion
    Show

Gachapon, or gacha for short, are japanese blind bags. They're usually these opaque balls in what looks like a gumball machine, where you put your money in, turn a crank and get a ball, containing a blind bag prize. The prizes available are usually advertised on the machine.

Gacha-based games are basically gambling. There isn't always an even distribution of all possibilities and while i've seen some pretty scummy and badly done ones, Pokemon Duel is not one of them. Honestly this is probably the most transparen

The Gacha isn't actually that bad: the sealed boxes are 50gems a piece (57 gems comes to $5.49CAN and 200 can cost you about $22CAN) and as a free to play you get up to 3 gems per story mode level by completing objectives, and often get some simply by reaching certain progress points, completing daily missions or as a login bonus. You may also get a free 1-pull ticket from events, story mode or the big prize wheel for completing 10 daily missions.

In these pulls you get X amount of figures in your blind pulls.

50 gems - 1 fig, 50 mats
    100 gems - 2 figs, 1 plate, 100 mats
    200 gems - 4 figs, 2 plates, 200 mats. guaranteed at least 1 Rare or EX figure.

You can also spend gems on "Plates", which are once per match items that have various effects. These are not consumeables and you can reuse the same plates over and over and are an integral part of your deck.

You also the blue shard materials you can trade in on these blind pulls for basically any figure, even the EX ones or some not currently available in the random pulls, like Shuppet.

C - 250
    UC - 450
    R - 1800
    EX - 4000

So after doing 2 4-pulls and a single pull from a ticket in story mode, you can afford a UC Shuppet.

As I said though, they're also VERY transparent about your chances to get the figures and openly state which ones are available in the blind pulls and your draw chances for each figure. So if you want Zapdos, well it's a 0.50% chance per any given pull. There's a "Box Contents" button on the booster selection screen in the store that gives the fullest breakdown I've ever seen in a Gacha game.

They're not the best odds, but they're very open about them and to me that at least means a lot.

You also get free timer based pulls (longer timer = better pull chances) for winning ranked games and once per day after getting 10 "keys" (3 for a ranked win, 1 for loss) you get a free pull from a "purple" timer box (which means 1 UC or higher fig and some XP/CLv/high sale value "cubes")

The game itself is pretty fun at it's core, where you have to take turns maneuvering your figures across the board to capture the enemy's goal, but one large gameplay issue is currently making me consider dropping the game: Shuppet and the current super aggressive meta in the 1500-1900 ELO brackets.

I have a decent deck: Zapdos, Leafeon, Salamence x2, Wobbuffet & Shuppet. Zapdos is my muscle, the Mence twins are consistent pressure, Wobbuffet sits on my goal while Leafeon and Shuppet run around the board applying pressure.

And those two last figs? They're really good at pressure. Too good (not just them mind you, most Rare or EX figures with 3 movement are REALLY good at applying that pressure like the other Eeveelutions, the Lati@s twins or Greninja) IMO when you consider plates like Hurdle Jump (jump over an enemy's mon and into the square behind them) being available makes for a very high-pressure game and the reliance on RNG to resolve combat you're usually better off finding a way around or over or through your enemies rather then waste a turn maybe killing them (that's not to say attacking enemy mons doesn't have it's place).

And that's my problem right now: very few ways to counter this aggressive play other then either waste your first two turns going onto your goal (and likely losing an entry point while doing so) or hope to RNG them away (Shuppet has a somewhat reliable status move to help him avoid taking while Leafeon has both a pure dodge and a reliable sleep effect).

I like a lot of the concepts and the transparency the devs have, but the gameplay is starting to frustrate me.
    I actually played it a little bit back when they first made the actual collectible figures. Never stuck with it, and of course they dropped the line pretty quickly. Think I've still got the figures at home. Don't think they changed the rules very much for the digital version, except for the significantly lower pricepoint.

EDIT: And the levelling system.

Oh, is the first booster fixed? Because I just got a Yveltal out of it.

EDIT: Bought a quadruple pack. Onix, Moltres, Kakuna, Weavile, two plates, 200 material.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-02-05 at 06:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

I was playing with it last week (I was actually asking about it around here last week but no one cared to really discuss it). I reached a point where the game is just too laggy and generally unresponsive for me to want to try and invest time into it, even if the game play itself can be fun. I got really lucky when they had the sextuples and got a Manaphy, Empoleon and Greninja among other things.

Though I have a real beef with games turning into a stale mate and being determined by who has the most luck with their spins. A similar problem I grew to have with the trading card game actually, it feels cheap to win just because you flipped/spun the right thing, and it's irritating to lose in the same way.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2017-02-05 at 06:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Now that Pokebank is updated, Does anyone have a Heliolisk with a high Special Attack IV they'd be willing to trade me?
    Anyone? Please?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Do do dooo....

Just moseying along this trainer infested path, trying to get to this battle tree thing. Hopefully there's a pokemon center at the end of this route. Do do do....

Oh hey, a double battle.... that I completely mess up and end up with three fainted pokes. Still, it's the end of the route, so... there should be a heal somewhere around here, right? Don't want to spend too much on consumables. Maybe inside the building?

Nope.

Instead I get in a fight with friggin' RED from Kanto the second I walk through the door, with no "Are you ready" option to back out and heal, then come back. I won, but there went my stock of Max Revives...

I don't know if I want to Nuzlocke Sun/Moon. Every wild encounter turns into a potential infinite 2v1 battle? Important trainers can use incredibly damaging z-moves? Key TMs are gated behind trainers that require you to beat everyone on the route, preventing you from skipping? "Gyms" are 2v1 battles with a buffed boss pokemon and an automatic support? Ewwww.

...Still, it would be pretty epic if I managed to pull it off...
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.