New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXVIII: Get. In. The. BAG.

I don't really get Nuzlocke. This is a game about collecting Pokemon, and the main difficulty limiter Nuzlocke has is "you only get one per route." Why try so hard to make Pokemon something it isn't? Other challenges like "can't have more/higher-level guys than the gym leader" actually make sense, in that they require you to be skilled at the game and don't just let you grind until you're so overlevelled that you can stomp everyone without fear of dying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Didn't even have to make that last one a challenge this time around. It just sort of happened that I ended up ten levels lower (on average) than the end-game battles and I was always behind for the trials.

Switching off the Exp. Share at the beginning and switching out Pokemon on a whim will do that, I guess.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2017-02-07 at 06:32 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I don't really get Nuzlocke. This is a game about collecting Pokemon, and the main difficulty limiter Nuzlocke has is "you only get one per route." Why try so hard to make Pokemon something it isn't? Other challenges like "can't have more/higher-level guys than the gym leader" actually make sense, in that they require you to be skilled at the game and don't just let you grind until you're so overlevelled that you can stomp everyone without fear of dying.
    Nuzlocke is more of a concept as a run with self-imposed limitations, the most fundamental of which are a limit on pokemon caught, the loss/death of a pokemon after it faints, and naming everything you catch.

Personally, I try to start the gym without anything higher level than the gym leader. Ideally I start with everything a level lower, but I also try not to prepare too much until I hit the last couple gym leaders or E4.

I catch the first new evolution line pokemon I encounter in a route or named area.

I play on "set".

I don't use Legendary pokemon. For Legendary encounters that force you to catch the pokemon instead of merely beating it, Nuzlocke rules are suspended once the pokemon is fainted at least once and resume after the pokemon has been caught. (Did not have this rule until Y.)

For Y I limited use of the super training until I already had a pokemon with maxed out EVs.

I've seen the following options:
    No items in combat.
    No items outside of combat.
    Only X trips to each pokemon center allowed.
    May only buy one pokeball from each vendor.

I agree that merely out-leveling all the opposition would be a tedious exercise in grinding.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    Instead I get in a fight with friggin' RED from Kanto the second I walk through the door, with no "Are you ready" option to back out and heal, then come back. I won, but there went my stock of Max Revives...

I don't know if I want to Nuzlocke Sun/Moon. Every wild encounter turns into a potential infinite 2v1 battle? Important trainers can use incredibly damaging z-moves? Key TMs are gated behind trainers that require you to beat everyone on the route, preventing you from skipping? "Gyms" are 2v1 battles with a buffed boss pokemon and an automatic support? Ewwww.

...Still, it would be pretty epic if I managed to pull it off...
    Yeah. its kind upped in difficulty. the only Sun/Moon Nuzlocke I've seen was TFS getting absurdly lucky on almost every important battle. Like, unbelievably infuriating "I almost wiped on my non-nuzlocke playthrough of these battles how they are getting through without a single death?" levels of dumb fortune.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yeah. its kind upped in difficulty. the only Sun/Moon Nuzlocke I've seen was TFS getting absurdly lucky on almost every important battle. Like, unbelievably infuriating "I almost wiped on my non-nuzlocke playthrough of these battles how they are getting through without a single death?" levels of dumb fortune.
    TFS got an Abra in their first Nuzlocke. Pure dumb luck is their superpower.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Collecting is *a* focus of Pokemon, but not the *only* focus. Pokemon is very open in how you enjoy it. In my case, collecting isn't very important, but my team IS. And Nuzlockes focus on establishing bonds between you and your team as well as making you use pokemon you normally wouldn't.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

TFS got an Abra in their first Nuzlocke. Pure dumb luck is their superpower.
    My experience with Nuzlockes is that powerful-but-fragile pokemon don't usually work out in the long run. Eventually you'll fail to one-shot something, and it will hit back.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

I nuzlocked Sun. If it weren't for getting a Mimikyu and realizing that I would need to bring Nebby into the Elite 4 if I wanted any chance, I probably wouldn't have succeeded.

My Luna file is now at Ula'Ula, so that's good. Want to get to the point where I'm nearly ready to capture Lunala before I start catching Ultra Beasts in Sun - I'll be sending a ton of Beast Balls over to Luna for the purpose of capturing Lunala in one.

Other than Tapus/UBs/Cosmog line my living dex is complete again, too. So that's nice. Have started one for my spouse as well. Currently banked 108 pokemon toward that. Gonna keep adding more, slowly but surely.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

I was playing Doubles on the Showdown thing, and Parabolic Charge wasn't going first even though its user had been given Triage via Skill Swap. What's up with that?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I was playing Doubles on the Showdown thing, and Parabolic Charge wasn't going first even though its user had been given Triage via Skill Swap. What's up with that?
    Triage only gives +3 priority, so if other Pokémon used Helping Hand, any +4 priority move (mostly Protect-likes plus Snatch), or had higher speed and used a +3 priority move (some guard moves plus Fake Out and Spotlight), your Pokémon wouldn't go first.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Triage only gives +3 priority, so if other Pokémon used Helping Hand, any +4 priority move (mostly Protect-likes plus Snatch), or had higher speed and used a +3 priority move (some guard moves plus Fake Out and Spotlight), your Pokémon wouldn't go first.
    I'm pretty sure their moves were priority 0.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Nuzlockes are interesting challenges. They make you actually care about your Pokemon and take the "resource game" aspect of the series and flip it on its head. You go from being limited by how many Revives and Full Restores you have to how many Pokemon you have. Every new Pokemon feels like a boon, and it becomes possible not to have a perfect type counter for every Pokemon you fight.

It's the best way to play Pokemon IMO, it makes everything way more tense and exciting. The collection aspect has always been such a tiny part of the games (and easily the most bull**** part with trade only evolutions, version exclusives, and "Oh you need all the previous gen starters but you can only get one type per playthrough sad for youuuuu" shenanigans) that cutting it out barely hurts the game, if at all.

When I play a Nuzlocke I get EXCITED stepping into new grass and seeing what kind of Pokemon I can get, and then figuring out how to utilize it to its best. Normal game I just run around until I get the best Pokemon from each area. There's no mystery.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-02-09 at 11:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Nuzlockes are interesting challenges. They make you actually care about your Pokemon and take the "resource game" aspect of the series and flip it on its head. You go from being limited by how many Revives and Full Restores you have to how many Pokemon you have. Every new Pokemon feels like a boon, and it becomes possible not to have a perfect type counter for every Pokemon you fight.

It's the best way to play Pokemon IMO, it makes everything way more tense and exciting. The collection aspect has always been such a tiny part of the games (and easily the most bull**** part with trade only evolutions, version exclusives, and "Oh you need all the previous gen starters but you can only get one type per playthrough sad for youuuuu" shenanigans) that cutting it out barely hurts the game, if at all.

When I play a Nuzlocke I get EXCITED stepping into new grass and seeing what kind of Pokemon I can get, and then figuring out how to utilize it to its best. Normal game I just run around until I get the best Pokemon from each area. There's no mystery.
    I disagree with "the best way to play." People have different preferred levels of complexity. Nuzlocke runs seem to have more gambling to them; the enjoyability seems to depend upon not knowing outcomes. I have completed mono-type and mono-mon challenges. I'm trying a Nuzlocke challenge now, and I feel like if I were any more familiar with the particular game I'm playing it would sort of become...

Having to track which routes you caught something on/fainted something on also adds a layer of paperwork I wouldn't want to play in an ideal game. But, I'm doing it anyway to see if I can finish the challenge.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Shouldn't be much "route tracking". Generally you go to a route, catch something, get to the end of it, and move on. Not much backtracking until after the Elite Four (at which point the Nuzlocke is over, they end once you're Champion). If you're ever unsure, just go into your box and see if yu have anything caught on that route (particularly useful if you go the "Dead go in a box never to be used" route).

Not sure what you mean by tracking routes that Pokemon die on. I've never bothered, or seen that it's a rule.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-02-10 at 12:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Shouldn't be much "route tracking". Generally you go to a route, catch something, get to the end of it, and move on. Not much backtracking until after the Elite Four (at which point the Nuzlocke is over, they end once you're Champion). If you're ever unsure, just go into your box and see if yu have anything caught on that route (particularly useful if you go the "Dead go in a box never to be used" route).

Not sure what you mean by tracking routes that Pokemon die on. I've never bothered, or seen that it's a rule.
    I think he's referring to the (variant?) rule that a lot of people use where you can only catch the first encounter on a route, and if you knock it out you can't catch anything there.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2017-02-10 at 03:48 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know anybody who plays by that rule if so. It's usually the first new Pokemon you see. You can't get stuck with a team of 6 Ratattas with 6 more waiting in the wings (though if you accidentally kill the first one, the route is dead AND you have to catch the next Ratatta you see if it shows up first on a route).

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Normal game gives me the ability to only use pokemon I like, not obsess over stats until I determine the best.

I would maybe do a softlocke where the death rule is thrown out and I only use the catching rule, IF I felt like replaying a Pokemon game, which I don't.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

18. - Top - End - #138

I don't know anybody who plays by that rule if so. It's usually the first new Pokemon you see. You can't get stuck with a team of 6 Ratattas with 6 more waiting in the wings (though if you accidentally kill the first one, the route is dead AND you have to catch the next Ratatta you see if it shows up first on a route).
    Yeah, that's what I think he means - you can only catch something in the first encounter on each route, unless it's a species you already have (species clause). So you have to keep track of which routes are "dead" to you, because you messed up and knocked that Pokemon out.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that's what I think he means - you can only catch something in the first encounter on each route, unless it's a species you already have (species clause). So you have to keep track of which routes are "dead" to you, because you messed up and knocked that Pokemon out.
    I find it not to be difficult, because the question is effectively the same as "have I been through this route yet?" Occasional exceptions where there's one big route with enough distinct parts that you lose track, or when route boundaries are not clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Correct. While the species clause is an optional rule, "first encounter" has been a part of the challenge since the beginning.

Spoiler: Pokémon Hard Mode comic panel
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I find it not to be difficult, because the question is effectively the same as "have I been through this route yet?" Occasional exceptions where there's one big route with enough distinct parts that you lose track, or when route boundaries are not clear.
    I interpret it to mean you also cannot get something new with a fishing rod on routes/in caves/in towns where you have already had a viable encounter. This makes repels actually useful. Further, I'm playing Gen 1, and there is no in-game tracking of what was caught where. I have alleviated this somewhat by building that into my naming convention.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2017-02-10 at 09:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Didn't even have to make that last one a challenge this time around. It just sort of happened that I ended up ten levels lower (on average) than the end-game battles and I was always behind for the trials.

Switching off the Exp. Share at the beginning and switching out Pokemon on a whim will do that, I guess.
    Even though I'm using a consistent team in my playthrough of the game, my Pokémon are under-leveled.

The level jump when you first get onto Poni Island completely surprised me. I didn't expect the first trainer I would face after a climactic fight to have Pokémon 3 levels higher than that of the climactic battle, or to face wild Pokémon only one level behind said climatic foe. I have some training to do before advancing the plot, because half my team is 4 levels behind the wild Pokémon I'm facing and the other half is 1-2 levels behind.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2017-02-11 at 01:28 PM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

I had a really good battle recently.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Ah, the one time I saved my white 2 nuzlocke by master ball-ing a Metang that kept on getting attack buffs from whatever move it was spamming. Good times.

RE: Leveling, I assume you guys are turning the exp share off? With it on I end up needing a rotating stable of ~10 pokemon in order to avoid being too over-leveled.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, the one time I saved my white 2 nuzlocke by master ball-ing a Metang that kept on getting attack buffs from whatever move it was spamming. Good times.

RE: Leveling, I assume you guys are turning the exp share off? With it on I end up needing a rotating stable of ~10 pokemon in order to avoid being too over-leveled.
    The only time I ever turn it on is where I'm specifically levelling for breeding (and I won't have to do that as much anymore!) or for evolving stuff for my livig dex.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, I turned the exp share off the moment I got it in Moon, as a deliberate challenge.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I flicked it on and off, trying to keep a challenging-but-not-impossible level without needing to grind too much.

Ended up five to ten levels below the E4, because that's tricky to tune when you don't know what level-jumps are coming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

New Friend Code, because I had to replace my 3ds, cause the place where you plug in the power cable broke. And I couldn't system transfer, because no way to power the old one. New FC is 1135-1418-6004. Name in Moon is Jackson.
    Last edited by Svata; 2017-02-13 at 09:39 PM.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

I need a bit of advise for my Nuzlocke team building. You see, I was expecting Guzma to annihilate half my team (which he nearly did) but the challenge beforehand has killed more than I wished for.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current team:
    Lv 34 Decidueye Hawkeye
    Lv 34 Hariyama HULK (Thick Fat)
    Lv 35 Mudsdale Donkey
    Lv 34 Wishiwashi LimpFishskit

Current bench:
    Lv 26 Ledian Goro
    Lv 25 Trubbish Betsy
    Lv 25 Cottonee Fluffy
    Lv 24 Phantump Spoopy

Underlevelled:
    Lv 13 Digda_Alola, Lv 12 Butterfree, Lv 12 Delibird, Lv 12 Roggenrola, Lv 16 Crabrawler, Lv 19 Zubat, Lv 20 Fearow, Lv 20 Carbink

Dead:
    Misdreavus, Yungoos, Gastly, Pikipek, Persian, Magnemite, Rattata, Fomantis, Cutiefly, Herdier, Fletchinder, Skarmory

My best idea would be to use Carbink and Zubat. But I don't know how to play with a Carbink tbh.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I need a bit of advise for my Nuzlocke team building. You see, I was expecting Guzma to annihilate half my team (which he nearly did) but the challenge beforehand has killed more than I wished for.

Spoiler
    Show
    Current team:
    Lv 34 Decidueye Hawkeye
    Lv 34 Hariyama HULK (Thick Fat)
    Lv 35 Mudsdale Donkey
    Lv 34 Wishiwashi LimpFishskit

Current bench:
    Lv 26 Ledian Goro
    Lv 25 Trubbish Betsy
    Lv 25 Cottonee Fluffy
    Lv 24 Phantump Spoopy

Underlevelled:
    Lv 13 Digda_Alola, Lv 12 Butterfree, Lv 12 Delibird, Lv 12 Roggenrola, Lv 16 Crabrawler, Lv 19 Zubat, Lv 20 Fearow, Lv 20 Carbink

Dead:
    Misdreavus, Yungoos, Gastly, Pikipek, Persian, Magnemite, Rattata, Fomantis, Cutiefly, Herdier, Fletchinder, Skarmory

My best idea would be to use Carbink and Zubat. But I don't know how to play with a Carbink tbh.
    No idea here, but "LimpFishkit" is an amazing name. I hope that one lives.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

An update on Mega Stones, courtesy Serebii:

"The Pokémon Company has put out a new note clarifying how the currently missing Mega Stones are going to be distributed. In the note, it explains that the Mega Stones will come through two means
    First, given as a present to players of Online Competitions, such as with the Mawilite and Beedrillite in the upcoming 2017 International Challenge February competition. Here, a limited amount of players will get the code ahead of a wait period of 1 to 2 months before all players get the code.
    Second is just through a code that will be given to all players through various events/online postings with no wait period
    The method will vary depending on the Mega Stone and they intend to go through these methods until Summer. As always, we'll bring full details on the Mega Stone distributions as they come."