New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Help with Unchained Summoner :D

Hello guys. I'm going to start a new pathfinder campaign (Strange Aeons Adventure Path) and I was hoping to play a Summoner (unchained version cuz DM) that fits the AP and lovecraftian theme of the adventure. I'm planning on being a Half-Elf (Starchild variant) that focuses on a Aberrant Biped Eidolon. I got the character concept already but I would like some help with the Eidolon. I know there's a Summoner (and Unchained Summoner) guide on the forums but reading between the two of them is confusing me a lot <_> so I'm asking a little bit of help with some advice about the Unchained Summoner and the Eidolon. We are starting level 1. If you need any more information please ask, I'll be glad to answer.

Thanks in advance! :V
    Pew pew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Help with Unchained Summoner :D

Even if you plan to have your eidolon out all the time, you should take the spell focus: conjuration and augment summons feats.

Since you are going biped, the power attack feat is going to be of use. You can go claw claw bite or grab a 2 handed weapon if you can afford the GP. Improved damage for the claws is handy, not as good for the bite. Flight is a must have, and magical flight is probably worth it. Blindsense and blindsight are good. You can go for tentacles and or extra arms with a weapon. Immunity to fire and cold are good, but you won't encounter any other elements enough to warrant getting immunity.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Thanks for the advice! Helped a lot. Got another question. I was taking a look at the Unchained Summoner in the PFSRD and under the Unchained Eidolon base evolutions there's the Aberration base form, which have a listed source: "PcS: HR". I think this abbreviation was for Pathfinder Horror Adventures (Maybe it is lol?) but I got the book and there's nothing about Summoners or Eidolons except for spells and an item. Idk where this Aberration base is to be found. Anyone knows??
    Pew pew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Val666 View Post
    "PCS: HR".
    Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Horror Realms.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Segrain View Post
    Oh my gid i love you <3
    Pew pew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Hello guys. I'm going to start a new pathfinder campaign (Strange Aeons Adventure Path) and I was hoping to play a Summoner (unchained version cuz DM) that fits the AP and lovecraftian theme of the adventure. I'm planning on being a Half-Elf (Starchild variant) that focuses on a Aberrant Biped Eidolon. I got the character concept already but I would like some help with the Eidolon. I know there's a Summoner (and Unchained Summoner) guide on the forums but reading between the two of them is confusing me a lot <_> so I'm asking a little bit of help with some advice about the Unchained Summoner and the Eidolon. We are starting level 1. If you need any more information please ask, I'll be glad to answer.

Thanks in advance! :V
    Iīd say no, donīt take an Aberrant Eidolon, even if available through Heroes of Horror. Youīll end up with an Eidolon that has some support magic that will be too weak during this particular AP.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Iīd say no, donīt take an Aberrant Eidolon, even if available through Heroes of Horror. Youīll end up with an Eidolon that has some support magic that will be too weak during this particular AP.
    What you mean :(?
    Pew pew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

What you mean :(?
    You do not want to play a Mythos cultist, you want to play a hero that fights it - Especially in this particular AP.
    Beyond that, the "Aberration" type gives limited access to some psychic spells and these simply are not worth the investment, as they donīt scale too well.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I don't think the abberrant eidolon is a particularly bad choice. Spending all of your evolution points on the psychic abilities is not the best option, but you can make a perfectly good eidolon without taking the subtype specific evolutions. Abberrant eidolons are immune to mind affecting effects at 8th level, gain blindsense and eventually blindsight for free, telepathy, and a bonus evolution point- Not exactly terrible.

You could just make your eidolon a BSF thing by giving it magical flight, lots of limbs, and juicing its physical abilities and be totally fine. Or you can use it as a fire and forget weapon- send it in as a practice dummy and once it goes down just summon monsters for the rest of the day. At level 10 you can give yourself evolutions instead, and horde power for yourself, only summoning it as a backup once you run out of summon monster SLA's.

Likewise, the base type is only restricting in some mechanical aspects, not concept. There is no "I either fight abberations or I am a mythos cultist" no more than taking an angel subtype eidolon makes you a cleric of any particular god. You just have to be one step away from its alignment and its alignment has to be one of the ones listed for the type. Also, does your character even know it is an abberation? Maybe they bound it to use against the enemy, or it defected, or it has its own nefarious plans, or it just happens to be a weird blob of tentacles that smashes things...
    Last edited by Geddy2112; 2017-01-12 at 05:32 PM.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Itīs a bit problematic to give hints and tips w/o spoiling too much, especially when it comes to Strange Aeons, as the nature of the unknown and the fugue state in the first half of this AP and how it is going to be handled factor into it.

A thing with this particular AP is the equipment and shopping, as well as the nature and abilities of the creatures you encounter and, frankly, what kind of combat the maps used favor most.

As I see it, this AP favors an Eidolon that can double as a serious bodyguard/tank, uses a manufactured weapon with reach and can do some serious anti-caster work with AoO.

For practical purposes, that means going with an Large Biped Azata, Glaive, investing into Combat Reflexes and Hold the Line, as well as Bodyguard.