New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Black Shingle Fiasco

Senra; Jewel of the Eastern Seas, paragon of invention, trading hub of the region. For centuries it has been a shining example of prosperity, ingenuity and righteousness. Home to the famous Academy of Transmutation, Senra boasts an impressive fleet of magical contraptions, alongside the world's only magical manufactorums. Senra's governing body, the Council of Eleven, composed by representatives of the steadfast noble houses of Senra, is similar to the monarchy of ancient Ehish...
    -An excerpt from Annoneth's Traveller's Guide to the Tremainean Commonwealth

5 months ago, Senra escaped destruction by a hair. An evil wizard, undoubtedly a servant of the Abyss, was foiled by a band of plucky heroes, moments before he completed a foul, but strangely conformist, ritual to open a hellgate in the centre of Senra's Black Shingle, a clean and idyllic neighbourhood of the quaintly middle-class. The brave heroes perished in their clash against the wizard, taking the fiend with them, but their task was complete and the people of Senra were safe. It wasn't until a monument commemorating the heroes' sacrifice had been erected that the full extent of the wizard's villainy was discovered. A small piece of the wizard's ritual had been completed before his death, and demonic monstrosities were beginning to seep into Senra through a small portal hidden somewhere in Black Shingle. The situation rapidly began to deteriorate. Before long it was all the city guard could do to cordon off the contaminated district, and evacuate as many people as they could. With all the guard's forces concentrated on stopping the fiends from overrunning the rest of Senra, Black Shingle quickly became a blood-soaked ruin, the domain of thieves, hopeless men, demons and far, far worse.

1 month ago, Senra's Council of 11 issued a call-to-arms, offering gold and glory to those brave enough to enter Black Shingle and attempt to stem the flow of otherworldly horrors. Sellswords, heroes, adventurers, madmen; it mattered little, so long as they were willing to fight in Senra's name. You were one of them.

What little you saw of Senra, after arriving one cool, early-spring day, was not frightening. The hustle and bustle of tens of thousands going about their business. But fear lingered in the air, even in the Hub, the immense castle where you swore before a bored-looking magistrate to give and shed blood for the safety of Senra. The lingering fear of inescapable danger, pushed out of the mind, but always present. As you approached Black Shingle by carriage, black smoke stained the sky, and the tell-tale signs of war packed the wide streets. Downtrodden refugees with filthy clothes, eyes unfocused, wagons carrying fresh weapons or reinforcements to the front, or returning with a cargo of moaning, wounded soldiers. Once or twice you caught a glimpse of one of Senra's fabled war-golems, lumbering through the streets.

When you finally arrived at the barracks, a one-time inn just outside Black Shingle, you were immediately assembled into a squad, and shown to your dormitory: a large, but slightly moldy, room in the barracks' attic, with narrow beds and grimy windows. Hardly an hour passed before a young gnome (strange as it sounds, Senra was primarily a gnomish city) of the city guard, a corporal, burst into your dormitory. Introducing himself as Olidar, the gnome begins ranting about an expedition into Black Shingle and trapped civilians. He's talking much too fast, but from what you gather, it'll be your first assignment to accompany him.

Finishing his monologue, Olidar takes a moment to catch his breath, then grins at you. "Any questions before we set out?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Black Shingle Fiasco

Yes, Silvet replies. Do you know if these horrors are resistant to fire? Because that's what I do.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-01-09 at 07:54 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Suddenly a mysterious male Drow rogue enters the scene.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-01-09 at 08:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Suddenly a mysterious male Drow rogue enters the scene.
    You're late, Silvet says.

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric: "My apologies. I'm usually this punctual when it comes to meeting like this."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-01-09 at 08:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Eric: "My apologies. I'm usually this punctual when it comes to meeting like this."
    That's a GREAT sign, Silvet says, rolling her eyes. Well, so long as you can fight...

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

K/The Planes(untrained, max 10)(1d20+1)[6]

"Resistant to fire? Yeah, good question!" pipes in the small woman with bow and leather "armour". "Only thing I know on Demons is they want to torture, kill, and destroy everything that isn't them, followed by torturing, killing, and destroying each other. Like; the frell? But motivations aside, is there anything we can do now to give us a better chance?"

She draws an entirely mundane, normal, utterly standard issue arrow from her quiver and glares along its length. Anyone looking at her closely will notice that her eyes don't blink. "Like, should I be buying some special arrows or something? We got time to think of such?"

She slides the arrow away and gives the room a quick sweep of her eyes. "Oh, and Avita Santiago, totally not a Demon-expert. Charmed, all you guys and girls I haven't met yet."

8. - Top - End - #8

Silvet Cooper, Dragonborn of the north, she says with a smile.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge (The Planes) because why not? (1d20+4)[24]

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

"As long as they ain't resisting an axe to the noggin too bad..." the short stocky half orc says with a bit too much enthusiasm than comfortable for most. ".. then I don't care if they eat orcs for breakfast. They goin' down."

"Th' name's Sarim. Blackaxe clan. Hopin' t' make a name for myself among other things, but I ain't shy about bein' friends with decentish folk."
    Last edited by Kushina43; 2017-01-09 at 08:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric: "My name is Eric Spade."

11. - Top - End - #11

Avita throws Sarim a fleeting smile. "Good to hear I'm in the company of such heroes. No, really. I am. And of your axe too. Still, those of us of a more nuanced type of strength-" she flexes a not-terribly-impressive-small-young-lady-with-strength-twelve-bicep "-need show a bit of discretion." She puts her hands on her hips and bites her lip, facing front.

"I'd hate to disappoint our enemies by turning up unprepared. If I get killed this early in my career I'll never live it down."

12. - Top - End - #12

MonkGirl

Sarim turns to the drow, his jolly half smile only shrinking a little bit. "Bit of a quiet 'n' serious type, eh? Pardon if it seems a little rude, as we just met, but I think you oughta loosen up a little."

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kushina43 View Post
    "As long as they ain't resisting an axe to the noggin too bad..." the short stocky half orc says with a bit too much enthusiasm than comfortable for most. ".. then I don't care if they eat orcs for breakfast. They goin' down."

"Th' name's Sarim. Blackaxe clan. Hopin' t' make a name for myself among other things, but I ain't shy about bein' friends with decentish folk."
    Friends and fighting-what more could be wished for?

A lot, actually. But you know, good start and all!
    Silvet says with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Avita throws Sarim a fleeting smile. "Good to hear I'm in the company of such heroes. No, really. I am. And of your axe too. Still, those of us of a more nuanced type of strength-" she flexes a not-terribly-impressive-small-young-lady-with-strength-twelve-bicep "-need show a bit of discretion." She puts her hands on her hips and bites her lip, facing front.

"I'd hate to disappoint our enemies by turning up unprepared. If I get killed this early in my career I'll never live it down."
    Silvet looks at Avita and smiles appreciatively, blushing a little and looking away if the other woman meets her gaze.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Sarim turns to the drow, his jolly half smile only shrinking a little bit. "Bit of a quiet 'n' serious type, eh? Pardon if it seems a little rude, as we just met, but I think you oughta loosen up a little."
    Eric looks at Sarim. He smile a little bit. Eric: "I'm loosening up. This is how the way I am."

15. - Top - End - #15

Eric looks at Sarim. He smile a little bit. Eric: "I'm loosening up. This is how the way I am."
    Show
    You typically only want spoken words in Red. The rest should be normal black. It's not needed, but it makes formatting a bit easier.

Just make sure you're not so stiff when it comes to fighting, aye? Be like the water-flowing, Silvet says. Not that I have much experience with that-water tends to freeze where I'm from.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

MonkGirl

"Thatta guy. Alright, what's the drill now? Summin' about civil-yans? Th' people who don't do the fightin', yeah?"

17. - Top - End - #17

Avita continues to face front, given they're still waiting a response from Olidar, but her eyes shift sideways to the silver-eyes, silver-haired, scaling "Dragonborn of the North". Her brows raise just a little. Silvet Cooper, was it? Bit of a metal theme going there- she thinks. But what she says is; "So. Demons. Anyone got a clue or two? 'Cause I'm all out of vague generalities."

18. - Top - End - #18

Show
    I should have some info soon. Just as soon as MK gives me my nat 20 info.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric looks at Slivet. Eric: "I could fight. Just sneaky from behind when the enemy doesn't look."

20. - Top - End - #20

"I've had boyfriends like that". says Avita. "Briefly"

21. - Top - End - #21

"I've had boyfriends like that". says Avita. "Briefly"
    Silvet lets out a loud, hearty laugh. Oh, that's good! That's good... she says, still chuckling.

As for the demons... They're not resistant to flames-or at least, most aren't. The kind we're likely to run into favor melee combat-they like FEELING the fight. Some of them have magical blasts, but we shouldn't expect too much of that. They're also kinda dumb. Cunning-but more often than not, they'll bumrush the nearest foe rather than think things through.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric frowns. Eric: "So why are we standing around here talking about demons anyway? Let get a move on!"

23. - Top - End - #23

Eric frowns. Eric: "So why are we standing around here talking about demons anyway? Let get a move on!"
    Hold your horses, Eric-we should probably figure out some strategies. And, definitely, let me touch you.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

MonkGirl

Sarim grins rather wickedly upon hearing this, which exaggerates his orcish tusks. "Sounds like my kinda foes! Bring 'em on, I'll cleave 'em in pieces!"

25. - Top - End - #25

Avita raises an eyebrow. "Ta for the info miss...Silvet? Love the hair. And the shield. I've met guys who'd look real nice laid out on that shield. So. Not resistant to flames. They resistant to anything else? Arrows?" she taps her bow, "Cold steel?" a nod towards Sarim. "Being stuck 'twixt the cheeks?" a nod towards the Drow. "Sorry, just trying for all the hints I can get and FRELL but you're tall!", she says, eyes wide and unblinking as she looks upwards at the Dragonborn. "Husky mountain air? Or something?"

26. - Top - End - #26

Avita raises an eyebrow. "Ta for the info miss...Silvet? Love the hair. And the shield. I've met guys who'd look real nice laid out on that shield. So. Not resistant to flames. They resistant to anything else? Arrows?" she taps her bow, "Cold steel?" a nod towards Sarim. "Being stuck 'twixt the cheeks?" a nod towards the Drow. "Sorry, just trying for all the hints I can get and FRELL but you're tall!", she says, eyes wide and unblinking as she looks upwards at the Dragonborn. "Husky mountain air? Or something?"
    The kind we should be encountering? No. Cold steel, though, works well on the big ones.

And thank you?
    Silvet says, questioningly, in response to the tall comment. I was tall before the ritual of transformation, and that just added to the height. Comes from my dad's side.

Also, just letting you all know, I'm going to need to do a simple spell on you all, unless you want to be crisped by my flames when we start fighting. It'll also help keep you warm in the cold and cold in the hot.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-01-09 at 09:37 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

MonkGirl

"If it lets me live longer so I can do more cleavin', I'll take it"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric cools down a bit. Eric: "So does anybody got some brilliant plan to whack those demons?"

29. - Top - End - #29

"If it lets me live longer so I can do more cleavin', I'll take it"
    Silvet steps towards Sarim, muttering a few arcane words. Her hands slightly aglow, she places one on his shoulder, letting the magic flow through him.

Sarim can feel a gentle chill throughout his body-not cold enough to be uncomfortable, but more akin to a soothing breeze on a hot day.

Well, I can handle front-line duty. Armor, shield, and fire breath, as well as a hale and hearty body.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-01-09 at 09:44 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30

"As long as it isn't some Eldritch and Unholy ritual to reverse the energy polarity of my very lifeforce requiring me to stand naked in a crystal jar under the eyes of lots of thoughtful older men talking about other things they want to do to me again, I'm in favour, miss. Hit me." Avita takes a quick half-jump back, and opens her arms in a gesture of acceptance. Or resignation. Or both. Or something.