New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: The Black Shingle Fiasco

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Avita promptly finds herself surplus to requirements, so shrugs, strings an arrow, and moves back over to Eric and Sycarus. "Eric, from now on, stay with the group. Use your bow. This could be a very long day and we can't afford to have you use up all our healing"
    Sure things. I don't want to make any more mistakes."

Eric bring out his shortbow and he's shoot the demon hybrid with his arrow.

Attack: (1d20+3)[9]
    Damage: (1d6)[2]
    Sneak Attack: (1d6)[4]

Critical:

Attack: (1d20+3)[20]
    Damage: (3d6)[8]

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

Scrambling to it's feet, the hybrid brings up it's shield to deflect Andras' thrust, while simultaneously dodging Sarim's swing. Back against the wall, it takes a second to analyze the situation, sees the approach of Ygor and his soldiers, then bolts, ducking under another blow from the Aasimar. Just as it's escape seems imminent, Sarim's glaive catches it in the back, ripping out a swath of flesh and most of it's spine. With a wet gargle, the demon collapses to the muddy pavement, thoroughly dead.

Ygor jogs up to you, sheathing his sword. "Good work. These things don't seem too bad, though I wouldn't want to face a whole platoon of the ugly buggers." He gives the dead fiend a curious look. "Take a moment to collect yourselves, we should set out as soon as possible."

3. - Top - End - #843
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Sarim sheathes his glaive and walks over to the corpse of the hybrid, spitting at it. "Bunch o' mongrel cowards, these are. Strong fer somethin' so eager t' run when things go bad." The dworc then smashes his mighty foot down on its head. "But it'll take more'n that t' take us down."

He then makes his way to Eric. "Drow boy, ye doin' right? Took ye down quick, tha' thing did."

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kushina43 View Post
    Sarim sheathes his glaive and walks over to the corpse of the hybrid, spitting at it. "Bunch o' mongrel cowards, these are. Strong fer somethin' so eager t' run when things go bad." The dworc then smashes his mighty foot down on its head. "But it'll take more'n that t' take us down."

He then makes his way to Eric. "Drow boy, ye doin' right? Took ye down quick, tha' thing did."
    "I'm doing ok, Sarim. Thanks for your concern. I should have known better to face that abomination by myself."

5. - Top - End - #845
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avita moves back to the main street. "Grab its sword. If anyone wants it. We'd best get moving.
    Double-time. The more we stand around the more they'll be able to throw in our way."

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric grab the demon hybrid sword.

7. - Top - End - #847

Avita stops, turns to face Adept Sycarus, and gives a short nod of the head. "Honoured Divine, thanks for your help with my...associate. But might we rejoin the main body? The skills of one such as yourself will be very precious today, and alleys are not healthy."

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I'm thinking of selling this sword because I just realized that I'm not proficient with this sword unless someone else want it."

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

Reforming the formation you held before the attack, you continue on your way through Black Shingle. The distant sounds of battle echo through the streets, and the denizens of imagination lurk in the burnt-out buildings. Corpses become more frequent.

A quarter of an hour later, the tower, your destination comes into view. It is much as you remember - a squat, windowless construction of dark stone, with perhaps three storeys. The wooden door, previously secured with a multitude of locks and chains, hangs wide open. What you can see of the interior is a plain rock floor, with some pieces of discarded refuse - the rest is hidden by shadow.

The tower lies at the centre of an intersection, where a large avenue and the smaller one you just came from meet. An alley - the site of your grueling battle with the dretch - also winds off in one direction.

Ygor turns to you, scratching his stubbly chin in thought. "Well, this is it. No sign of hostiles,
    but I wouldn't count on it remaining that way. Would you prefer to secure the tower or the other streets? It may be wise to set up sentries along them."

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YossarianLives View Post
    Reforming the formation you held before the attack, you continue on your way through Black Shingle. The distant sounds of battle echo through the streets, and the denizens of imagination lurk in the burnt-out buildings. Corpses become more frequent.

A quarter of an hour later, the tower, your destination comes into view. It is much as you remember - a squat, windowless construction of dark stone, with perhaps three storeys. The wooden door, previously secured with a multitude of locks and chains, hangs wide open. What you can see of the interior is a plain rock floor, with some pieces of discarded refuse - the rest is hidden by shadow.

The tower lies at the centre of an intersection, where a large avenue and the smaller one you just came from meet. An alley - the site of your grueling battle with the dretch - also winds off in one direction.

Ygor turns to you, scratching his stubbly chin in thought. "Well, this is it. No sign of hostiles,
    but I wouldn't count on it remaining that way. Would you prefer to secure the tower or the other streets? It may be wise to set up sentries along them."
    "I say we should secure the tower. Because I think the tower should be our first priority."

11. - Top - End - #851

Avita steps forward, her arrow still notched. "Keep an eye on the alleys but stay out of them for now. Keep to the open. We'll search the tower."

She sets her jaw. "Door's broken. Not good. And there was something on the roof last time we were here."

12. - Top - End - #852

MonkGirl

Sarim looks up at the tower, then to the broken door. "Hmph, blasted things.. On guard, they could be in there." He grips his axe tightly and starts to walk inside the tower. "I'll lead th' way."

13. - Top - End - #853

Avita follows Sarim on his left side, her bow in her left hand. Right hand free for now. And her eyes look for any signs of activity on the roof.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric follows Avita and Sarim.

"I'm guessing the demons must have raided in here."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-08-19 at 12:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Ygor nods and leads his soldiers away toward the main street, while you make your way towards the tower. There is no sign of movement on the roof.

The door creaks as you pull it open, illuminating the tower's interior, which resembles the aftermath of a particularly vicious tornado. The stone tiles of the one-room main floor are covered in a large assortment of garbage and debris: torn fabric, rotting food, and broken furniture, all blanketed in a thin layer of dust. A spiral staircase with several broken steps lies in the centre of the room, ascending upwards. Curiously, several floor tiles appear to have been ripped out, then shoddily replaced. The smells of mold and rot are powerful.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A climb check will be required, should you wish to go up the stairs.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

Planting a closed fist against her heart, Andras begins to glow with heavenly light, spreading in a matter of seconds and flooding the inside of the tower.

"Sarim, go on ahead. I'll be right behind you."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cast Daylight from the Lesser Aasimar racial feature

Spoiler: Links & GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

17. - Top - End - #857

"Wait." Avita says heavily, holding out an arm. "Just for a moment".

She draws her dagger, and dropping to one knee, begins testing the repaired floor tiles, tapping them each in turn with the point. "Does it strike you we've been seeing a lot of open drains today? Connections to the underground? Now this."

Making sure people are watching what she's doing, she begins to use the dagger to lever up the repaired tile nearest the door.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Wait." Avita says heavily, holding out an arm. "Just for a moment".

She draws her dagger, and dropping to one knee, begins testing the repaired floor tiles, tapping them each in turn with the point. "Does it strike you we've been seeing a lot of open drains today? Connections to the underground? Now this."

Making sure people are watching what she's doing, she begins to use the dagger to lever up the repaired tile nearest the door.
    "Gee. I didn't notice that."

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

The light blooms from Andras, illuminating the room in sharper detail.

With some effort Avita is able to pry the tile loose, then haul it out of the ground. She is instantly greeted by the redoubled stench of rot. Beneath the tiles, buried only in a thin layer of dirt, lies the decomposing corpse of a gnome wearing the simple brown linens of a peasant. Hundreds of insects crawl in and out of the body, glutting themselves on the rancid flesh. You would guess that the unfortunate gnome has been dead for about two weeks.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The light blooms from Andras, illuminating the room in sharper detail.

With some effort Avita is able to pry the tile loose, then haul it out of the ground. She is instantly greeted by the redoubled stench of rot. Beneath the tiles, buried only in a thin layer of dirt, lies the decomposing corpse of a gnome wearing the simple brown linens of a peasant. Hundreds of insects crawl in and out of the body, glutting themselves on the rancid flesh. You would guess that the unfortunate gnome has been dead for about two weeks.
    Eric saw the gnome dead body and was shocked to see it.

"Oh snap. What do you suppose happen to this gnome?"

21. - Top - End - #861

"I'm going to hazard a guess that something killed him." says Avita, replacing the tile calmly. "And that's rather interesting, is it not? Considering this place was held by the Gnomes up until a few days ago. So did the Wheelies plant these here or--" Her mouth shuts with a click of teeth, and she stands up.

"Well, he's not moving about and moaning for brains so this is something we can deal with after we've checked the upper floors." She moves cautiously under the stairwell, training her bow upwards.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I'm going to hazard a guess that something killed him." says Avita, replacing the tile calmly. "And that's rather interesting, is it not? Considering this place was held by the Gnomes up until a few days ago. So did the Wheelies plant these here or--" Her mouth shuts with a click of teeth, and she stands up.

"Well, he's not moving about and moaning for brains so this is something we can deal with after we've checked the upper floors." She moves cautiously under the stairwell, training her bow upwards.
    "I'll be surprised if that gnome come back to life and go full-blown zombie on us."

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

Going upwards, the staircase passes the second floor and ends at a wooden hatch, which likely leads onto the roof. Upon closer examination, the steps seem to have been deliberately damaged, many having been chopped cleanly in half. This damage ends after the stairs pass the second storey.

Despite Andras' light, you cannot see much: the vague outline of some shelves and more refuse. Then, something stirs within the darkness - recognizably humanoid, but swathed in a heavy cloak. As soon as you see it, the figure is gone, slipped silently away into the darkness.

24. - Top - End - #864

Avita is still downstairs, listening to the staircase creak under Sarim's and Andras's weight. As they reach the top, she shoulders her bow, slides her arrow back into its quiver, and gets out her lantern.

Ironic, that the Necromancer in the party is the only one that doesn't have Darkvision. Irony,
    why is it never funny.
    She fires up the lantern and holds it up in her left hand, preparing to follow the two heavy-hitters but the stairs.

[Can I take a 10 on my climb check?]

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarim leads the way up the stairs, clambering along the railing, stepping gingerly over the wrecked steps. Andras follows close behind him, trailed by Avita then Eric. When you reach the top, the supernal glow coming from the aasimar shows you a circular room much the same as the one below, though less filthy. Several weapon racks, now empty, line the walls along with two barrels. A pile of ragged pillows and blankets is nestled between two of the containers - a makeshift bed. Bundled deep within the unwashed fabric is the same stubborn gnome you last saw here, a pale woman on the cusp of middle-age. Her jaw is slack and her eyes half-open, unfocused. She lies limp beneath the mountain of blankets and does not react to your arrival, or even appear to notice you.

Standing in front of the helpless gnome, feet planted in a wide stance, is a demonspawn wearing the burgundy cloak of a Wheeler and clutching a hatchet with both hands. The demonspawn glares at you, black eyes glittering, a sneer painted across his face. He seems to be quite young, a teenager by the standards of humanity.

26. - Top - End - #866

Avita holds the lantern before her chest, letting its light shine upward onto her face, and fires up her free hand with charnal energies that flicker a sickly green in the darkness.

"If you are going to say something silly; like, "don't move or I'll kill her", I'm afraid that's not going to work", she says tonelessly, stepping around Sarim and Andras.

"Or, maybe you've got something else to say. Come on, kid. We'd like to hear it."

Her eyes briefly take in the women on the bed. Her age. The age of the Demonspawn.

"You were changing. She didn't want to leave you. That's why she stayed. Liked a good mother", she says. "That right? And YOU stayed as well. So, anything left of you in there?"

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking confused, the young demonspawn shoots a look towards the gnome, then back to you. He blurts out something in a harsh tongue you can only assume to be Abyssal, then switches to heavily accented Common. "What are you saying?"

28. - Top - End - #868

Looking confused, the young demonspawn shoots a look towards the gnome, then back to you. He blurts out something in a harsh tongue you can only assume to be Abyssal, then switches to heavily accented Common. "What are you saying?"

"Drop the hatchet. Get away from her", says Avita; trying to sound even more deadpan than before.

Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show
    (1d20+8)[18]

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I just thought of something."

Eric talk to the teenage demonspawn.

"Hey you demonic brat! Are you the only one of your kind who's here? Is there any others of your kind that we should know about?"

Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[12]
    Intimidate: (1d20)[17]

30. - Top - End - #870

MonkGirl

Sarim lets out a low, almost beastly growl, clutching the handle of his axe while letting the others handle talking. A single demon's nothin' fer us, he thinks, but if he's might tell us somethin', we'll take it