New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Canadian!

1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Ask a Canadian!

Long have I planned to defect to Canada if things get too crazy here in the barbaric South. So, what’s the best way to go about implementing that plan, eh? Is Toronto the hot ticket to start out in, or is the west coast niftier?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KoDT69 View Post
    So are any Canadians here offended by the South Park movie?

Can you take Celine Dion back home?

Can we keep Avril Lavigne?
    Nah we loved the South Park movie. And I thought Blame Canada was hilarious.

HAHAHAHAHA. NO. You touched her last.

No. But we will give you shared custody. And alternate holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by draca View Post
    Long have I planned to defect to Canada if things get too crazy here in the barbaric South. So, what’s the best way to go about implementing that plan, eh? Is Toronto the hot ticket to start out in, or is the west coast niftier?
    Hmmm from the south you say...

Get hired on as a gopher for the Atlanta Thrashers or Dallas Stars then when they eventually come to the west for a hockey game go AWOL.

The west coast is much more niftier
    Last edited by North; 2007-07-19 at 11:38 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

When Americans say "about" instead of "aboot", does it crack you up as much as it does us?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

There's a song here at the top of the charts called "umbrella" where a lady sing about her brolly. The lyrics go "Umberella ella ella eh eh" and every time I hear it I think how nice it is to hear a proud Canadian on the radio.

On the subject of Canadians on the radio my little brother always listens to the Vinyl Cafe and he learnt how to do the accent (which is different from the the various American ones he can do) and now he wants to go there before university.
    Last edited by Totally Guy; 2007-07-19 at 11:42 AM.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Is it true that you have more beavers than people up there?

Also, would you like some of our guns? They're really fun to play with. Especially in school.
    “Life is made up of constant calls to action, and we seldom have time for more than hastily contrived answers.” -- Learned Hand

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    There's a song here at the top of the charts called "umbrella" where a lady sing about her brolly. The lyrics go "Umberella ella ella eh eh" and every time I hear it I think how nice it is to hear a proud Canadian on the radio.
    My god. You have TH, Arcade Fire, Nickelback, and the proud Canadian artist you hear is RIHANNA?
    WHAT THE CRAP?

For my THIRD question, what makes you assume (Not you, Glug, this is adressed to North) that you, a mere Edmontoner, have the wisdom to answer questions when, right here, is a true bred Montrealer, full of ultimate wisdoms and snarkiness? For lo, Edmonton is a featureless plain, but yea, Montreal is full of good! (And strip clubs, and churches, and antique shops. In fact, each one of those is about a third of the city. I don't think we even HAVE a residential area.)

PS. By antique store, I mean sex shop.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

*sighs happily as I read this thread* I miss Canadian culture... I've lived in the states for 8 years now. I've totally missed out on Vinyl Cafe, I didn't get to see the movie about curling, and I have to ask for Arrogant Worms cd's for christmas because they don't sell them down here. I'm a born and bred Saskie where the wind never stops and you can drive for an hour without seeing a house that's lived in. *cell phones, blankets, emergency kit, and spare tires are very important things to have in a vehicle... oh and booster cables*

I used to say eh all the time and never even noticed. Until I got here where people constantly pointed it out to me. Thanks to marrying a Texan, I now say y'all all the time instead. *chuckles* I keep telling people that now I am able to say, "Good Day y'all eh!" And for some reason they die laffing. Very odd.

The ONE thing I want down here more than anything else... except maybe Don Cherry and Hockey night in Canada, is POUTINE! god I miss that stuff. *sniffs*

Oh, and if you're wanting a decent, but not well known Canadian group... try Big Rude Jake. *grin*

PS: SEND RICKARDS RED!!! Lots of it!! And Polar Ice.
    Last edited by Kitya; 2007-07-19 at 11:55 AM.
    Proud supporter of the IMP (Insignificant Monsters and Pests) and OGRE (the Organization of Giants, Reprobates, and Elementals) Unions!

The Giver of Gooshy Foods

av drawn by Jennie Breeden... maker of the webcomic Devil's Panties

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    When Americans say "about" instead of "aboot", does it crack you up as much as it does us?
    AH a popular misconception. The majority of Canadians dont actually say "aboot".

But when you say soda instead of pop that cracks us all up.

hehehe Soda....lols

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStaticWolf View Post
    Is it true that you have more beavers than people up there?

Also, would you like some of our guns? They're really fun to play with. Especially in school.
    Roughly half the Canadian population has their own beaver in addition to the natural beaver wildlife. There isnt more Beaver then people but it is quite close.

No thank you. Unless we can exchange them at wal-mart for store credit.

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    My god. You have TH, Arcade Fire, Nickelback, and the proud Canadian artist you hear is RIHANNA?
    WHAT THE CRAP?

For my THIRD question, what makes you assume (Not you, Glug, this is adressed to North) that you, a mere Edmontoner, have the wisdom to answer questions when, right here, is a true bred Montrealer, full of ultimate wisdoms and snarkiness? For lo, Edmonton is a featureless plain, but yea, Montreal is full of good! (And strip clubs, and churches, and antique shops. In fact, each one of those is about a third of the city. I don't think we even HAVE a residential area.)

PS. By antique store, I mean sex shop.
    Mere Edmontonian you say? Without this turning into flames and the start of s east vs west war. Ill say a couple simple truths. I have been in Canada all my life and it has saturated me to the core. Alberta doesnt try to seperate from the rest of Canada. We have the biggest mall in the world. And we also have quite the fair share of strip clubs, churches and antique shops. Although I do hear wonderful things about the Dancers in Montreal.

And doesnt your location say Placeville, USSR. Huzzah. I dont know where in Canada that is Sir

But let us not fight my Quebecan Neighbor let us share a Beer and gripe about the Ducks and them stealing the Cup this year
    Last edited by North; 2007-07-19 at 11:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99

So is it true that you guys are as fanatic about hockey as the British are about football?
    -Vonriel

"DEMONS RUN WHEN A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR."

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Mere Edmontonian you say? Without this turning into flames and the start of s east vs west war. Ill say a couple simple truths. I have been in Canada all my life and it has saturated me to the core. Alberta doesnt try to seperate from the rest of Canada. We have the biggest mall in the world. And we also have quite the fair share of strip clubs, churches and antique shops. Although I do hear wonderful things about the Dancers in Montreal.

And doesnt your location say Placeville, USSR. Huzzah. I dont know where in Canada that is Sir
    Indeed, but my Gender also says none, and I CLEARLY exist. In fact, my "name" is D'anna Biers, which is both A, not my name and B, someone else's name. All in all, the ENTIRETY of my internet profile is a lie (except for the bit about puppets.)

As for your Mall, HA! Ha!!
    HA!
    ha...

As for the Holy Trinity of edifices, even Mark Twain remarked we have the mostest of them. So HA there too.

ANd for your FINAL misconception, we don't want to seperate. A healthy percentage of the FRANCOPHONES want to seperate. In fact, while the francophone Uber-Seperatists rule the province, steal our hospitals, never give money to charities and then take our things because we don't have a history of "sharing", Anglophones outnumber them. At least in spirit. And heart. Heartless dastards!

All in all, I must say all of your conceptions about Montreal are of the mis- variety. Now, why don't you run along in your hovercraft and get back to your igloo! I mean, seriously, we got central heating years ago. Pfft! Edmonton!

I DO have a question though. Can you see your dog running away for days over there, or does the natural curvation of the earth prevent that?

Hey! Guess what! I don't actually think Montreal is superior! So please, please, PLEASE don't assume I am trying to "flame" or "provoke", I'm merely having fun playing on all of the american misconceptions.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Do you ever get America currency in your change?

And if so, does it work in your vending machines?

Because I always was annoyed when I had exact change for a soda only to find a Canadian nickel in my change.
    == sarcasm in Shoe lingo.

You're the only one who can hold your head up high, Shake your fists at the gates saying:
    "I've come home now!
    Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father. Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
    It's time now!
    My time now!
    Give me my, give me my wings!"

Tool - 10,000 days (wings part 2)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Another question: I never understood the fascination with hockey. I find it a difficult sport to follow, much less get into. By follow, I mean, you can't see the bloody puck and the camera's going everywhere, possession is changing constantly so you don't know if you're cheering at the right time, and I don't understand why players get away with fighting. In any other sport, you get ejected/fined/suspended/worse for a little pushing, yet hockey matches are more like NASCAR used to be (not a fan of that, either:) people go to see the wreck/fight and not the game.

I guess there's no question in the jumble of random mutterings, but I would appreciate an explanation as to the nature of liking this...sport.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Raven T. View Post
    In any other sport, you get ejected/fined/suspended/worse for a little pushing, yet hockey matches are more like NASCAR used to be (not a fan of that, either:) people go to see the wreck/fight and not the game.
    Well, I suppose you could go and watch a sport for the game, if you liked boring.

High five, Canadiens!
    Last edited by Cyrano; 2007-07-19 at 12:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Another question: I never understood the fascination with hockey. I find it a difficult sport to follow, much less get into. By follow, I mean, you can't see the bloody puck and the camera's going everywhere, possession is changing constantly so you don't know if you're cheering at the right time, and I don't understand why players get away with fighting. In any other sport, you get ejected/fined/suspended/worse for a little pushing, yet hockey matches are more like NASCAR used to be (not a fan of that, either:) people go to see the wreck/fight and not the game.

I guess there's no question in the jumble of random mutterings, but I would appreciate an explanation as to the nature of liking this...sport.
    A couple of minor answers here:

On the issue of being able to follow the play, hockey's like any other sport - the more you watch it, the better you're able to see what's happening.

As for the fighting, well, it is a debate inside hockey circles as well. A lot of hockey fans would like to see fighting gone. On the flipside, a lot of fans (and teams, for that matter), like having a fighter around to protect the star players from physical intimidation. At least, so runs the reasoning. It's also worth pointing out that at a lot of levels (college hockey, Olympic hockey, etc.), fighting does get a player ejected immediately.
    Trophies and current avi by Lord Herman!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vonriel View Post
    So is it true that you guys are as fanatic about hockey as the British are about football?
    Hockey is life.

You know how nurses put little touques on baby's heads to keep the body-heat in and mittens on their hands to keep them from scratching themselves??

Up here in Canada, it is hockey helmets, hockey gloves and a hockey puck for a soother.
    Last edited by mudbunny; 2007-07-19 at 01:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quebec isn't East Canada. *chuckle* That'd be my place. And, to be honest, I've gotta reccomend the Maritimes as a good place to be. All we do is drink, smoke pot and party. Low crime, lots of nature, low cost of living... Also, the Albertans I met tried to fight me, the Quebeckers ripped me off by over $150, and Toronto is Canada's only American city, heh.

Maybe we should separate... Nah, we'd just get stoned and drunk and die off.

Now, regarding American currency, back a few years ago, when our dollar was worth slightly more than a peso, I'd find am American penny and cut off limbs of others to get at it first. Nowadays, it's just interesting, and yeah, it works in our vending machines. Usually.

Hockey? Hockey is made of win. It takes a bit to get used to it and follow it properly, but it's interesting and fun. And, with the fights, technically, they're allowed to break it up and just send them to the penalty box, but often that just means a bigger fight later and suspensions tossed around. So watching them beat the crap out of each other is fun.

Avatar generously made by Zolkabro.

"When I give food to the poor, people call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." Dom Helder Camara

I need some more security than that provided by choosing between
    A job you hate, a job you hate and a job that doesn’t pay. - Bomb The Music Industry!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Barbarian in the Playground

...people go to see the wreck/fight and not the game.
    "Did you see the fight last night? In the 2nd period, all of a sudden a hockey game broke out..."

~PS
    "One Penguin To Rule Them All..."

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm invisible...I'm invisible...I'm baby mice-ing invisible!" ~ Diva De

The Boot. Fear it.

Thanks to Trog for OotK icon
    Also, thanks to El J, Kubb Ambassador

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinsushi View Post
    "Did you see the fight last night? In the 2nd period, all of a sudden a hockey game broke out..."

~PS
    That would be funny if it had any basis in fact.
    There's NEVER a game on.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bariko View Post
    Quebec isn't East Canada. *chuckle* That'd be my place. And, to be honest, I've gotta reccomend the Maritimes as a good place to be. All we do is drink, smoke pot and party. Low crime, lots of nature, low cost of living...
    Yeah, but the snow-storms that dump 10 feet of snow, combined with a language that pretends to be english, but really isn't makes it a bit less appealing.

Come to Ottawa, the town that fun forgot. Get a job in the comforting embrace of the federal government, suckling at the teat of the public.

Hockey? Hockey is made of win. It takes a bit to get used to it and follow it properly, but it's interesting and fun. And, with the fights, technically, they're allowed to break it up and just send them to the penalty box, but often that just means a bigger fight later and suspensions tossed around. So watching them beat the crap out of each other is fun.
    Don't forget the fact that, sucker punches aside, the majority of fights are between people who want to fight each other. One player makes the indication that he wants to fight, but before there is a fight, the other needs to accept.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mudbunny View Post
    Yeah, but the snow-storms that dump 10 feet of snow, combined with a language that pretends to be english, but really isn't makes it a bit less appealing.

Come to Ottawa, the town that fun forgot. Get a job in the comforting embrace of the federal government, suckling at the teat of the public.

Don't forget the fact that, sucker punches aside, the majority of fights are between people who want to fight each other. One player makes the indication that he wants to fight, but before there is a fight, the other needs to accept.
    Well, hang on now. No painting the Maritimes with Newfoundland stereotypes now. We speak English, consarn it. They're the ones with "What're you at?" and "Where ya to?" Also, all Newfie jokes aside, George Street. They have George Street.

I'm a New Brunswicker, the province that everyone forgot. But, I've gotta admit, I love it here.

Avatar generously made by Zolkabro.

"When I give food to the poor, people call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." Dom Helder Camara

I need some more security than that provided by choosing between
    A job you hate, a job you hate and a job that doesn’t pay. - Bomb The Music Industry!

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Vonriel View Post
    We are just as fanatic. But we are not as violent. Well mostly.

I DO have a question though. Can you see your dog running away for days over there, or does the natural curvation of the earth prevent that?
    Ah that is a problem in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. But Alberta with the adjacent Rocky Mountains is still bumpy. So we dont have that feat here.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Shoe View Post
    Do you ever get America currency in your change?

And if so, does it work in your vending machines?

Because I always was annoyed when I had exact change for a soda only to find a Canadian nickel in my change.
    Yes although it is rare. I do recall the last time I bought a pop(hehe soda) I was able to use an american quarter. But not the dimes.

The players who fight are penalized. And a single penalty can alter the course of an entire game. When theres only five men on the ice losing one guy is a 20% loss in players. There are very large reprecussions.

I have never had a problem seeing this puck. The puck is black thats why the ice is white.

And the fluidity of the sport is why we like it so much. WE got! THEY GOT IT? NOO. WE GOT IT BACK! YES. In a way its akin to a soccer. Except faster paced and more awesome. Much more awesome.

Hockey, Beer and Redheads are proof that there is a God and that God wants us to be happy

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KoDT69 View Post
    So are any Canadians here offended by the South Park movie?
    Here's the biggest misconception about Canada I think. Offended? No. We celebrated the South Park movie. That movie didn't make fun of Canada, it celebrated our philosophies and (ahem) culture. If anything, we should be turning around and asking that question to the Americans.

Though, a lot of Americans perhaps haven't realised that they're the ones being made fun of in that movie.

Fun side note: MuchMoreMusic Profile on the Tragically Hip on right now!! Wooo!!
    Masquerade Indy by Gnomish Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Mustiado View Post
    Still think that was an epic prank, *snip* Kudos, gentlemen.
    I was outzombied by the baby!!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Hockey, Beer and Redheads are proof that there is a God and that God wants us to be happy
    I've heard a rumor that in about 20 years or so, the Redhead may become extinct due to the recessive gene being bred out of people.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Which city should us New Yorkers move to, conquer, and transform when the time comes? Our city's getting too crazy.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

25. - Top - End - #115
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

"There's a song here at the top of the charts called "umbrella" where a lady sing about her brolly. The lyrics go "Umberella ella ella eh eh" and every time I hear it I think how nice it is to hear a proud Canadian on the radio."

See, I liked Canada until now.
    Last edited by Pyre; 2007-07-19 at 06:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

[QUOTE=Pyre;2907152]
    Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    There's a song here at the top of the charts called "umbrella" where a lady sing about her brolly. The lyrics go "Umberella ella ella eh eh" and every time I hear it I think how nice it is to hear a proud Canadian on the radio. QUOTE]

See, I liked Canada until now.
    See my post.
    I entirely agree with that. HOWEVER, we have OTHER good stuff! Neil Young! Arcade Fire! Tragically Hip! Arcade Fire! Arcade Fire! Arca- woops. Yeah, them.
    We also have about 75% of all celebrities, you guys just brand them american and they go along with it because they're too polite.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

But Rihanna is hot somewhat. I hate the song though.

The only reason why I hate the song is remind me of 2 of my ex girlfriends and the intimate relations I'm not having.

Avril reminds me of other ex. And Nickelback another.

Why do you people make catchy songs?
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

28. - Top - End - #118
    Barbarian in the Playground

See my post.
    I entirely agree with that. HOWEVER, we have OTHER good stuff! Neil Young! Arcade Fire! Tragically Hip! Arcade Fire! Arcade Fire! Arca- woops. Yeah, them.
    We also have about 75% of all celebrities, you guys just brand them american and they go along with it because they're too polite.
    I love Neil Young. And had no idea he was Canadian. How's that for stealing your celebrities? Actually, I don't really like him anymore. Only his old stuff.
    Last edited by Nomrom; 2007-07-19 at 06:34 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

The thing about hockey is that it's much easier to follow live than on TV. At least I find it easier. I wasn't a hockey fan until I actually went to a game. Also, there is something very satisfying in being part of a howling, bloodthirsty mob and watching hockey is a much more socially acceptable than breaking out the torches and pitchforks.
    Many thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=D'anna Biers;2907155]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post

See my post.
    Arcade Fire?? Oh yeah, Arcade Fire are Canadian! = WIN.

Also Neil Young, totally. And The Band too, kinda.

Edit: Kinda Canadian, not "kinda win".
    Last edited by FdL; 2007-07-19 at 08:52 PM.