New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What job did you aspire to when you were a kid?

And what's your job now, or the job you're training/studying for?

I wanted to be a palaeontologist. Yeah, I knew full well it wasn't as exciting as Jurassic Park (my favorite movie at the time), but even digging up old bones seemed interesting enough for a 10-year-old dinosaur nerd. I also dreamed at various times of other science jobs, such as marine biologist. Unfortunately, I soon learned that training to be a scientist (in any field) involves a lot of math classes, and I really... really... hate math.

Later I wanted to be a novelist. It remains an aspiration of mine, but I know it's tough to make a living in this line of work, so I write as a hobby.

My current profession: English-to-French translator.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2017-01-11 at 04:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What was your dream job when you were a kid?

Fighter pilot. Turns out, my right eye has 20/17 vision, but my left eye is almost legally blind. I'm also colorblind, and used to have double vision. Well, I still do, but I have absolute control over it, so I almost never see double unless I'm bored. Worst X-Men power ever, I tells ya.

Work at the family CPAP store, studying to get into NASA.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-01-12 at 09:47 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What was your dream job when you were a kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Fighter pilot. Turns out, my right eye has 20/17 vision, but my eye is almost legally blind. I'm also colorblind, and used to have double vision. Well, I still do, but I have absolute control over it, so I almost never see double unless I'm bored. Worst X-Men power ever, I tells ya.

Work at the family CPAP store, studying to get into NASA.
    Same deal for wanting to be a fighter pilot, but nearsighted. Studying to be an accountant.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: What job did you aspire to when you were a kid?

I work for Family and Protective Services in Texas.

My dream job as a child was to be the person in the Godzilla suit. Actually, it is STILL my dream job.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The things I wanted to be include

Fighter Pilot
    Marine Biologist
    Paleontologist
    Chemist
    Computer Science Engineer
    Graphic Design/Illustration/Animation

Pretty much everyone convinced me I wasn't college material though, I was going to join the air force to do Comp Sci, but my dad wouldn't allow me unless I did so as an officer. My other choice was to let him put me through college. But having been discouraged from collaging, and arting, I went in to learn Visual Art Studies (art education).

I really regret it, cause now I think it'd have been way more fun to have ended up an Aquatic Biologist, or a Paleobiologist for sure, and I'm relatively confident that I could have gotten a degree in one of those things had I tried.

What am I now? I'm a Print/Copy associate at Office Max. I probably do use some of what I learned on my VART degree there in terms of multi-tasking and time management, but most of the specialized stuff I do there is self taught from playing with photoshop at home for the past 10+ years. (infact I only even got the job because I mentioned I was an artist on my resume...I don't think the store manager looked at anything else other than the mission statement on the top!)

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    Pretty much everyone convinced me I wasn't college material though, I was going to join the air force to do Comp Sci, but my dad wouldn't allow me unless I did so as an officer.
    The funny thing is, to the best of my knowledge, with a degree you join as an officer immediately.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

As a preteen?

Astronaut/Astronomer

As a teenager (with the dawning realization that "living your dreams" is only for a lucky few)?

Librarian (I like books)

Job I've actually done for nearly 17 years?

Plumber

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Among other things, a pilot, an astronaut, an architect and the president (of Finland, who back then still had some power).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

As a kid, I aspired to a few different jobs. I was fascinated by garbage and recycling and thought it would be great to drive around in a garbage truck and run my own recycling company. I also wanted to be a paleontologist. Or a pro wrestler.

Nowadays I'm working on my dissertation (PhD in English Lit, medieval) and my thesis (MFA translation, languages: Spanish, Old English, Icelandic). We'll see what the job market holds for me.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Among other things, a pilot, an astronaut, an architect and the president (of Finland, who back then still had some power).
    Hey man, I'll still take President of Finland. What are the job requirements?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey man, I'll still take President of Finland. What are the job requirements?
    Well, I guess you could invent a time machine and make it so you were born here...? Sadly you still have to be born in Finland to. Well, or you could always affect a change in that law, I suppose. I don't know which is easier, to be honest.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2017-01-11 at 05:59 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I guess you could invent a time machine and make it so you were born here...? Sadly you still have to be born in Finland to. Well, or you could always affect a change in that law, I suppose. I don't know which is easier, to be honest.
    So you're Finnished with that idea then?
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Easy fix: campaign to get your home town/state/house declared sovereign Finnish territory. Then you were, retroactively at least, born in Finland.

How hard can that be?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well, what I wanted when I was a kid was to be a cartoonist (comic book artist). Then that became "fine arts/graphic design" because that was a more widely applicable thing to tell people even if in reality I spent 99% of my time drawing cartoons and comics.

Now I'm a pyromaniac mass murderer self employed. Lots of driving, buying products, packaging and shipping, and more driving.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The first ambition I remember was wanting to be a ballerina, back when I was four or five and had no idea what that involved By the time I was seven or eight I wanted to be a barrister, which evolved into wanting to be Prime Minister of my country - then at around 10-11 I started regularly reading newspapers and my political ambitions abruptly vanished. At 12 or so I did a test where you entered information about your aptitudes / personality / what you liked doing, and got a list of suggested careers - I ended up with "Physicist" first (by a very wide margin), and then "Marine biologist", both of which sounded pretty good to me.

I'm now a physicist, so score one for dodgy career-aptitude tests

(I'm actually a professor at the same university that I dreamed of attending back when I was 12-13. I didn't mention this to the university when they were trying to hire me, but they did have a bit of an edge over the other places I was considering as a result )
    Last edited by Ifni; 2017-01-12 at 12:30 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    I wanted to be a palaeontologist. Yeah, I knew full well it wasn't as exciting as Jurassic Park (my favorite movie at the time), but even digging up old bones seemed interesting enough for a 10-year-old dinosaur nerd. I also dreamed at various times of other science jobs, such as marine biologist. Unfortunately, I soon learned that training to be a scientist (in any field) involves a lot of math classes, and I really... really... hate math.

My current profession: English-to-French translator.
    That's surprisingly similar to my own trajectory-- which is to say, wanted to be a palaeontologist as a kid, voraciously devoured just about every book about dinosaurs and prehistoric animals, dreamt of discovering incredible new species and shaking humanity's understanding of life to its very foundations, etc. Later I became enamoured with quantum physics and I decided I wanted to go into the field, a dream which was somewhat hampered by a fairly mediocre intellect and a complete lack of aptitude for mathematics, so there went that aspiration.

At this point I've more or less settled on teaching English as a second language in Denmark, which isn't exactly a lifelong dream but is something I can actually do (and I'll always have writing and music on the side). Right now I'm just slaving away in retail drudgery and working up some money to study in Denmark and eventually get a TEFL certification, so... It's a start, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    As a teenager (with the dawning realization that "living your dreams" is only for a lucky few)?
    Ouch. Harsh but true.

Lots and lots of people tell you to aim for your dream job. They say that if you really want it, you'll succeed. But it's like saying you can become a multimillionnaire through hard work and ambition: it may be true at an individual level, but there can be only one king of the mountain. Look at how many minimum wage workers have college degrees in music or art.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    At 12 or so I did a test where you entered information about your aptitudes / personality / what you liked doing, and got a list of suggested careers - I ended up with "Physicist" first (by a very wide margin), and then "Marine biologist", both of which sounded pretty good to me.

I'm now a physicist, so score one for dodgy career-aptitude tests

(I'm actually a professor at the same university that I dreamed of attending back when I was 12-13. I didn't mention this to the university when they were trying to hire me, but they did have a bit of an edge over the other places I was considering as a result )
    Whoa, congrats!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Welp, my first plan as a pre-schooler was FIRE(man) BOSS. I think I meant ... well um. Fire department boss. Whatever it is in English Then at 8 years of age I reaaaally wanted to be a fashion designer only to have that dream bashed by my teacher who was very good at bullying me and a couple of other kids. Then it started to lean towards teaching etc, working with people in general. I did do two years of BEd Primary Education back in Scotland but realised it was utter bs and left to pursue happier days back in Finland.

Right now my dream "job" is to be a stay-at-home mother, but until that day comes I'm planning towards working in organisation management stuff. My degree programme is heavily related to it and when I graduate in 1,5 years... let's hope I get a job in that field.
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2017-01-12 at 09:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Welp, my first plan as a pre-schooler was FIRE(man) BOSS. I think I meant ... well um. Fire department boss. Whatever it is in English.
    Fire Chief, perhaps?
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Fire Chief, perhaps?
    I read that as Fire Chef. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I wanted to work for GCHQ. Did appropriate degrees and everything. Then found I wasn't eligible, ended up in marketing and now trying to get into accountancy having found I really dislike that after 6 years and a nervous breakdown

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The funny thing is, to the best of my knowledge, with a degree you join as an officer immediately.
    Yes, but I didn't have a degree at the time. I had a choice, join as an officer, or just go to college. (and I'm not teaching you how to drive the car which is a standard transmission until you make a decision). It was probably a mix of my dad not wanting me to be career enlisted like him, and my ASVAB scores being rather high across the board, even math (they must have a low bar for me to do better than the 50-65% in math or whatever it was). So I was good officer material, goodness knows recruiters wouldn't stop knocking on my door when I was still living with my mom in highschool.

The way it worked for my cousin at least, was he went in to become an officer, so they put him through some college (he got a degree in English, which is only about 65 credit hours!) Then they gave him his commission (there was some other military specific training and stuff involved too of course, but you'd have to talk to someone who's done it). There are probably several different ways it can be done depending on the branch on the branch and what you'll be doing once you get your commission. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt the armed forced will just throw a commission at anyone because they have a degree.

The thing that makes me kind of angry with myself, is that VART was actually pretty challenging and had way more hours than many degrees (148ish). I'm angry with my high school too, which only really encouraged the very top of the class to go to college, and acted like anyone else shouldn't even bother, like the school councilor wouldn't even allow me to take the SAT. Yet, I was an honors student and graduated with the "harder" class plan, just there were probably at least a hundred people who were better honors students than me. I know now that I probably would have been find shooting for a science (and it would have been easier than trying to get a true art degree).

There is some other "jobs" I wanted to do that technically wasn't "when I was a kid" in that I was interested but was never pointed towards the right programs for whatever reason. And that's anything aggy, or building. Had I had the opportunity to take agg or a shop class in Highschool, I'd have know about 6 years sooner that I love welding. And well, I've always been strongly interested in plants and animals, and would love to know more about agriculture on a medium/large scale.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2017-01-12 at 12:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    Yes, but I didn't have a degree at the time. I had a choice, join as an officer, or just go to college. (and I'm not teaching you how to drive the car which is a standard transmission until you make a decision). It was probably a mix of my dad not wanting me to be career enlisted like him, and my ASVAB scores being rather high across the board, even math (they must have a low bar for me to do better than the 50-65% in math or whatever it was). So I was good officer material, goodness knows recruiters wouldn't stop knocking on my door when I was still living with my mom in highschool.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt the armed forced will just throw a commission at anyone because they have a degree.
    Sorry, I meant "the funny thing is, they talk you out of college, then when you want to go into the military, they push to you college. Unless you get officer, which can be done directly with a college degree."

Also, yeah, they don't just throw commissions at degrees, but doesn't it automatically allow you to go into OCS and try to become one? Also, I think different degrees get different ranks. Don't doctors go in as auto Majors?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahh, yeah my dad wasn't even around when I was in Highschool, it was mostly the school which convinced me that I had no chance with college.

Though if you enlist you don't necessarily get put through college either, a lot of the enlisted jobs just require trade school type stuff.

I have no idea how they decide to assign ranks to newly commissioned officers, I know that for enlisted sometimes you can skip ranks or pay grades if you were in a ROTC program of some sort, or how quickly you integrate to the lifestyle. With further progression is based on a mix of competency, availability of the rank, and time served.

There are some old marines over in the real world weapons/tactics thread that could tell you exactly how rank/pay grade work though.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I was told that, when I was very young, I wanted to be a waiter at a restaurant, since I saw all the money they were left as tips. (I don't think I understood the concept of a salary at the time.)

Since then, dream jobs have included a bum (rather romanticized view of homeless life), working at a semi-trashy restaurant as a cook/waiter (did it for a few months at a place until it closed down due to little business; loved working there), and author.

Currently, I guess my dream job is what I'm currently doing--programming--but with more pay.
    OR somehow making a profit running a cheap, trashy-looking fast food place/diner while closing down during rush hours (noon lunch, and 5:00 drive home).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Used to want to be a teacher, then I remembered that teachers had to deal with kids, and kids are scum.

Now it's probably something in the R&D side of chemistry. When I end up doing my degree, it'll be in that. Might get a PhD, might not, we'll see.
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show
    The One Sane Drow (Vergil: Drow Sorcerer 5, CN)
    The Uprise (IC/OOC) (Ker'anson: Drow Arcane Spellcaster 4, NE)

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

I remember being a kid and being in Kinder-garden and they had us dress up in the career fields we wanted to do and up to that point I had no idea what I wanted to do so I said I wanted to be "Animal Patrol" then after that I discovered Steve Irwin (RIP) and I wanted to go to Australia and work at the zoo. Then I went through the dinosaur phase and wanted to be a Paleontologist.

Now I am 18 and I have no idea what I want to do, I am thinking about becoming a MRI Tech and when going to college have a minor in film or Photography, I feel like I would be happy to just drive around and take pictures and sell them. Then decided which I like more. Just gotta test the waters. My interests consist of Computers (Technology), Electronic Music, Medicine, and Animation, and Photography...

I find it interesting how almost everyone has Paleontologist on their lists of when they were younger.
    Last edited by JobsforFun; 2017-01-12 at 01:51 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodean_ View Post
    Used to want to be a teacher, then I remembered that teachers had to deal with kids, and kids are scum.

Now it's probably something in the R&D side of chemistry. When I end up doing my degree, it'll be in that. Might get a PhD, might not, we'll see.
    ^ relevant stuff

When I was really little, apparently I wanted to be a dentist. As I was growing up, I didn't really know what I wanted to be. I was always decent at math, at the end of my 2nd year in college, decided to go Math Education. Got my degree, instead of teaching right away went to grad school, got a PhD in math. Now I teach math (at a small public high school).

I'm looking to make a career change though. In particular, Air Force officer. Intel would be sweet.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

When I was quite young, I wanted to have all the degrees - doctor, lawyer, clergy, and so forth. I wanted to have a dozen letters after my name.

Then I got older and realized just how many years I'd spend in school, not earning an income, before I had them all. I also asked myself what I'd actually do with so many letters in so many varied fields. So I settled on a more reasonable aspiration: Emperor.

As for what I do now, that's easy.

I rule.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JobsforFun View Post
    I find it interesting how almost everyone has Paleontologist on their lists of when they were younger.
    Dinosaurs. 'Nuff said.

It's nice to see how many of us had scientific aspirations. Then again, this is a forum for fans of a D&D webcomic, so of course most of us are nerds and geeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    I write erotica e-books for a living now. *shrugs*
    Heh, cool. My local NaNoWriMo coordinator works as a nurse and makes some side money as M/M erotica writer. It seems like a good way to get a book out there, as there's always strong demand.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2017-01-12 at 02:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: