New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Double Perform?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Double Perform?

So this might be a small stupid question. Is there anything stopping a bard who has say (sing/sting) perform skills from performing with both skills at the same time since they physically don't interfere with each other and earn double what you normally get, or would it just count as one performance?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Double Perform?

It is entirely dependent on your GM. I, for one, would just have the PC roll one check, even if they're actually doing multiple types of Perform at the same time (maybe with a circumstance bonus). However, multiple PC's can totally roll their own Perform checks even when performing together (a.k.a. a band) and make money for each PC's check.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yes - "A bard cannot have more than one bardic performance in effect at one time."

Even if something allows you to do two performances at once, the bonuses are usually typed (morale or competence) and so wouldn't stack/double if you were, say, Inspiring Courage twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yes - "A bard cannot have more than one bardic performance in effect at one time."

Even if something allows you to do two performances at once, the bonuses are usually typed (morale or competence) and so wouldn't stack/double if you were, say, Inspiring Courage twice.
    I'm talking about the skill named perform, not the the bard class feature named bardic performance.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan25 View Post
    I'm talking about the skill named perform, not the the bard class feature named bardic performance.
    Sorry, you mentioned bard and getting what sounded like bonuses in the OP so I assumed you meant the class feature.

I'm not sure what you mean then by "double what you normally get." Double the noise? Calling twice as much attention to yourself?
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

The Peform skill earns you money if you want it to and have the time. He's asking Bards who sing and play an instrument get paid more than Bards who just play or just sing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

If they were mostly equal as far as what you are doing, I would allow you to roll each and pick the highest.

If one is more just a supplemental part of the performance, then I would allow it to aid another for the primary performance.
    Last edited by Geddy2112; 2017-01-13 at 12:24 AM.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

yeah it probably does't do anything extra, I just thought double the show double the money .

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

noted for futher loop hole abuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Slithery D View Post
    The Peform skill earns you money if you want it to and have the time. He's asking Bards who sing and play an instrument get paid more than Bards who just play or just sing.
    Ah I got you. The RAW answer is no - the reward values are per day rather than per performance.

Even if you could do this though, the rewards are teensy even by low level standards. It beats Profession by a mile, but at the end of the day, you're better off just adventuring.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Even if you could do this though, the rewards are teensy even by low level standards. It beats Profession by a mile, but at the end of the day, you're better off just adventuring.
    It can be better if you can play in a market area for wealthy people, and cast (or perform) a mass suggestion, so that one creature/level thinks:

"This is the most awesome performance I have ever heard! This guy is so amazingly talented that I want to reward him with all my gold!"
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    It can be better if you can play in a market area for wealthy people, and cast (or perform) a mass suggestion, so that one creature/level thinks:

"This is the most awesome performance I have ever heard! This guy is so amazingly talented that I want to reward him with all my gold!"
    Any metropolitan area with citizenry that affluent will likely have magical law enforcement too. Great plothook for getting the bard back on the rails perhaps, but not such a bright idea in-universe.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy