New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Suggestions for a Pathfinder Hexblade

I'm playing a Hexblade in a Pathfinder game but I'm not all that familiar with good build choices that are Pathfinder specific. Is there anything good to consider outside of the regular choices from the Hexblade handbook as far as races and feats?

Starting at 1st, heavy on combat, dont want to be to optimized so nothing crazy.
    Last edited by Invader; 2017-01-15 at 06:07 PM.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Suggestions for a Pathfinder Hexblade

Are you talking about the Hexcrafter archetype for the Magus base class?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

I second magnus with hexcrafter archetype to get evil eye and the eldritch scion archetype for Cha casting, maybe a 2 level dip in paladin for the Cha to saves should get you a pretty hexblade simliar magnus with only pathfinder material thats probably better at gishing then the hexblade that even gets a curse at will (requires standard action though) and has a better Cha casting and good saves too with a paldin dip. If you have already made the character alread something like pathfinder arcane strike can give a small damage bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Therefore, you just need a taller statue -- or a sufficiently high pedestal for your statue, if you're a cheese-weasel -- to permanently kill any god in 2e.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

No I'm talking about the actual Hexblade class (with the suggested fixes) from complete warrior, in a Pathfinder campaign. Is the Hexcrafter archetype a Pathfinder equivalent that I could use instead?
    Last edited by Invader; 2017-01-15 at 08:23 PM.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Its not a exact eqvuilent as it only gives you Witch hexes which are at will effects but one of them is a save for -2 on your choice of AC attack roll saves and stuff. Using that you can get a pretty close version of the class with a 2 level paladin dip (For cha to saves) and a archetype that uses charasmia for casting and is spontanous instead of prepared (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base...eldritch-scion), plus the hexcrafter archetype to feel like curses. You could even get a famliar if you take a feat I beleive because you have a caster level. Magnus the the closest single class gish in psthfinder, although its more like a duskblade then a hexblade, although with the right build it can be simliar
    Last edited by Coretron03; 2017-01-15 at 09:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Therefore, you just need a taller statue -- or a sufficiently high pedestal for your statue, if you're a cheese-weasel -- to permanently kill any god in 2e.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the hexblade was nice in concept, but it didn't work so well mechanically. So WOTC printed the duskblade, which is the new-and-improved hexblade. And then Paizo came along and for pathfinder printed the Magus class, which is the new-and-improved duskblade.

In particular, straight from level one a Magus can cast a spell and make a melee attack all in the same round; and from level two it can channel all its touch spells through its weapon. This in addition to having a much broader and versatile spell list, and easy access to wizard spells where needed.

So you should really consider rebuilding your character as a Magus. Here's a guide with more info.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pathfinder classes are in general better than 3.5 ones. They have more options, more features, things to do with swift actions, actual classe features in places where 3.5 had none... all over, they are generally more powerful and playable.

The Hexblade as written is one of the weaker 3.5 classes. It was written early in the lifespan of third edition, when they did not have a good grip on balance, and were overcautious about many things. Even the designers have admitted this.

I believe it will compare very, very badly to Pathfinder classes. You are better off with the Magus, which is sort of a Pathfinder Hexblade.

Personally, I homebrewed the Hexblade to get Hexes, with the Curse as the level one Hex. That was ok, but I don't expect homebrew to be on the table for you.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    I'm playing a Hexblade in a Pathfinder game but I'm not all that familiar with good build choices that are Pathfinder specific. Is there anything good to consider outside of the regular choices from the Hexblade handbook as far as races and feats?

Starting at 1st, heavy on combat, dont want to be to optimized so nothing crazy.
    Hexblade - great fluff, poor concept, based on the old Ranger framework that also didn't really work out too well.

Don't do it, you won't be happy as those old classes don't transfer well over to PF.
    The Magus guide has already been linked, so get familiar with that and look for the Black Blade and Hexcrafter archetypes, as well as the Eldritch Scion if you're more comfortable with a CHA-based spells known caster. The example builds are there.
    If you want a bit more gritty flavour, take a look at the Blood Hex feats (Magic Tactics Toolbox) that also transport a bit of the edgy feel the original class had.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I've had plenty of success playing a Hexblade with the suggested fixes without every really feeling under powered. It's one of my favorite classes so optimizing it isn't really a problem. I was more just looking for Pathfinder specific things that would work well with that chassis.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    I've had plenty of success playing a Hexblade with the suggested fixes without every really feeling under powered. It's one of my favorite classes so optimizing it isn't really a problem. I was more just looking for Pathfinder specific things that would work well with that chassis.
    Sorry, please don't get me wrong here. I actually like that class and played thru the whole Savage Tide AP using one.
    That doesn't change the fact that it go rolled into being an archetype for a PF base class and it is a lot easier to discuss and give tips on builds when being on the same level here.