New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] Wizard Help: Spell selection tied to build sourcebooks

So, as the title tried to convey, I'm in a rather interesting position.

I'm about to enter a 16th level game (with a really very irregular WBL), the party consists of a very dwarf-y dwarf who tanks (with 300-odd HP), a gish of some sort who is apparently rather effective at dishing out the hurt (200+ damage was thrown around as example) when he really lets go, a wildshape-focused druid (ate 2 LA), a rogue and two new players, me and another one.

Seeing the melee-heavy composition, I naturally went with Wizard, my preferred class.

Stats so far are, after racials and some other (game-specific) stuff:
    STR 6
    DEX 20
    CON 16
    INT 26
    WIS 10
    CHA 14

Race is Grey Elf.

I'm debating swapping two points off CHA for a slightly better strenght, as I don't know of a good way to get Bluff/Diplomacy with my current selection of classes and 20lbs of carry capacity is worrisome.

So, to the crux of the matter, spellcasting for the wizard is as such:
    1) You automatically know all of the PHB spells.
    2) You automatically know all spells of a sourcebook from which you took class levels.

Spell Compendium originals are off the table, tho I did manage to swing 3 "extra" spells, and I'm thinking on Mass Avasculate for one, not only for being effective but for RP reasons (trying to represent how an alien mindset such as a grey elf's can come off as rather macabre without the person being, themselves, evil, per se).

So far, I'm thinking on:

Elf Generalist Wizard 5/Divine Oracle 2/Mindbender 1/Fatespinner4

Incantrix and Seven Fold Cheese are off the table.

Flaws seem to be ok. For now, I've only decided on Twin Ray (for Enervation/Disintegrate/Exhaustion fun), Spell Mastery and Uncanny Forethought, besides giving up the Wiz 5 bonus feat for Spontaenous Divination.

TL;DR, I need to top a Wiz 5/Divine Oracle2/Mindbender 1/Fatespinner 4 build, with Incantrix and Seven Fold Cheese off the table, on a LN Grey Elf, taking into account the only spells I'm allowed to know must come from a book from which I've taken at least a level from, besides knowing all of PHB. Which means SpC originals are off the table, as it doesn't have any classes.

Most 1st party books are go. Dragon Mag can be negotiated.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2017-01-15 at 07:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Wizard Help: Spell selection tied to build sourcebooks

Well, first of all, Grey Elf is LA0, right? You could slap on 2 LA worth of templates to boost strength if you like and "buy them off" by the starting level
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Well, first of all, Grey Elf is LA0, right? You could slap on 2 LA worth of templates to boost strength if you like and "buy them off" by the starting level
    Yes. It's on MM I.

Given the Druid has 2 LA by ECL 16, I think it's safe to assume buy-off isn't on the table.

Thoughts on adding 3 levels of Loremaster and one of Archmage to the build?

Archmage is nice, but so costly.

Loremaster is there for the free bardic knowledge.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Fatespinner seems like a waste, since you already have access to Complete Arcane via Mindbender.

Other good dip classes to expand your sources list:
    - Dragonslayer 1 (gives Draconomicon)
    - Spellsword 1 (after Dragonslayer; gives Complete Warrior which is basically worthless)
    - Abjurant Champion 5 (gives Complete Mage)
    - Wyrm Wizard 1 to 10 (gives Dragon Magic)
    - Sand Shaper 1 to 4 (gives Sandstorm, plus free knowledge of & lower-level access to some regular Wizard spells)
    - Keeper of the Cerulean Sign 1 (gives Lords of Madness)

Unfortunately one of my favorite non-Incantatrix magical cheese combos is not available to you as an Elf. Here's how it would work:
    - Be a Changeling (from Eberron).
    - Use the Changeling Wizard racial sub levels to specialize in both Illusion and Transmutation.
    - Take Recaster at level 6 (from Races of Eberron; grants access to RoE spells like Unfettered Heroism).
    - Take Primal Scholar as soon as possible, which should be level 9 (from Secrets of Xen'drik, an Eberron source book); take Secret of Power.
    - Finish Primal Scholar (around level 13); at class level 5 of Primal Scholar, you can spend an action point to regain 5 spell levels each turn. Unfettered Heroism is a level 5 spell which gives you a free action point each turn. Congrats, you can cast level 5 (and under) spells all day.
    - Now finish Recaster. You delayed Expanded Knowledge so you can pick from a larger list.
    - Last 5 levels: Abjurant Champion 5, Nightmare Spinner 5, or Mindbender 1 + Fatespinner 4.

5. - Top - End - #5

Well, Fateosinner is there because I like Fatespinner

The challenge is to make a build that is effective, thematically consistent and that gives reasonable access to other sourcebooks.

I had thought to fit Abj Champion in there, but I was trying to go for a more "mental" or "mystical" type of wizard to pair it with Grey Elf aloofness in order to depict a somewhat unsettling individual.

What three spells (outside PHB and Comp Arcane) would you guys have as a must for a 16th level wizard? I had thought Mass Avasculate, Heart of Water and Superior Resitance (as WBL is highly irregular).