New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Bashing enchantment and enhancement bonus

Bashing: A shield with this special ability is designed to perform a shield bash. A bashing shield deals damage as if it were a weapon of two size categories larger (a Medium light shield thus deals 1d6 points of damage and a Medium heavy shield deals 1d8 points of damage). The shield acts as a +1 weapon when used to bash. (Only light and heavy shields can have this ability.)
    Provided that i am aware you have to enchant the defensive and offensive bonuses separately on a shield, i was wondering about this part of the enchantment: The shield acts as a +1 weapon when used to bash.

I'm guessing not (or it would've said something similar to the bane weapon enchantment "its effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus.") but does this mean that if i put a +1 enhancement bonus (as a weapon) on the shield i get a +2 weapon when bashing?
    Last edited by valepu; 2017-01-16 at 02:52 PM.
    They tickle and itch, but you get used to feathers. Never quite get used to the eggs, though.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Bashing enchantment and enhancement bonus

Quote Originally Posted by valepu View Post
    Provided that i am aware you have to enchant the defensive and offensive bonuses separately on a shield, i was wondering about this part of the enchantment: The shield acts as a +1 weapon when used to bash.

I'm guessing not (or it would've said something similar to the bane weapon enchantment "its effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus.") but does this mean that if i put a +1 enhancement bonus (as a weapon) on the shield i get a +2 weapon when bashing?
    This needs a re-write, but I think I understand what you're getting at.

And I think the answer is yes. Though I could be wrong. Because you have to enchant the defensive and offensive bonuses separately, you would in fact get a +2 to Shield Bashing when using that shield - there's no bonus type stated in the enchantment (leading me to believe there is no bonus involved at all, just a flat +1) so any sort of +1 to bashing bonus would stack. That being said, you wouldn't gain any additional AC or anything because offense and defense are dealt with separately, as you've stated.
    I broadcast my weekly D&D 3.5 game on twitch!

www.twitch.tv/myrongains7

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Its entirely possible to face a CR appropriate drow opponent who has a 55-60% chance to ignore your swag.