New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Woman Defended Me At The Pizza Place

Can you guys just leave the autistic guy alone? Of course he's not telling the story right, he's autistic, stop trying to dissect the poor guy.
    "A necromancer is just a really late healer."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    Yep, and I unfortunately think it doesn't augur well for his infamous business with that movie theater lady, given that obtaining her phone number then going on dates is orders of magnitude more difficult than successfully ordering pizza.

Advice: set your sights on reasonable goals first, don't try to aim too high. When your basic skills have improved, then you can gradually change the target.
    What don't that got to do with anything? Have you been reading my thread at all?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheManicMonocle View Post
    Can you guys just leave the autistic guy alone? Of course he's not telling the story right, he's autistic, stop trying to dissect the poor guy.
    I'm familiar with autism (my ex's family was an extremely rare case with it being so frequent that they were being studied for a genetic component) and honestly, it's not a reason for not getting your facts straight - I'd even say it should be the other way around. Great memory for data, especially useless data. A high functioning autist with typical Asperger's would probably have the entire menu of the pizza place memorized and know exactly what costs what, what the specials are, etc.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What don't that got to do with anything? Have you been reading my thread at all?
    The social skills involved in successfully getting a pizza slice from another human without drama or rejection are kind of related to the social skills involved in successfully getting a phone number from another human without drama or rejection, except that the latter is more difficult.

And yes, I've read all 6 pages of this thread (and am not getting my time back, unfortunately).
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I've been telling the story right. I don't need any translator to translated my language.

6. - Top - End - #156

I've been telling the story right. I don't need any translator to translated my language.
    I'm sorry, I was trying to help a fellow autistic, please excuse me.
    "A necromancer is just a really late healer."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm sorry, I was trying to help a fellow autistic, please excuse me.
    Well your post was a bit offensive. But I understand you were trying to help.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Although I don't have it on me (I keep it filed) I personally do have a diagnosis of autism, and know some other high functioning autistic people, and it can very wildly so in some ways it is useful to ask a lot of questions in order to understand exactly how it affects them (for example, many people think my speech impediment, generally misidentified as a stammer, comes from my autism, when in fact I just learnt to speak late and so can't naturally pause to get my breath back). Although this depends on the person, I personally have no problem with people trying to pick apart my condition and behaviour to try to understand me better, but some autistic people do.

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I'm familiar with autism (my ex's family was an extremely rare case with it being so frequent that they were being studied for a genetic component) and honestly, it's not a reason for not getting your facts straight - I'd even say it should be the other way around. Great memory for data, especially useless data. A high functioning autist with typical Asperger's would probably have the entire menu of the pizza place memorized and know exactly what costs what, what the specials are, etc.
    First off, can we please not use autist? I personally find it an insulting term (partially because of how it was used at school just after I got my diagnosis) and significantly prefer 'autistic person'. Yes, I know that there will be some people who prefer the term (just like I insist I have a condition which requires me to use mitigation strategies, instead of a disability where I have to use coping strategies), but generally autistic person is better (I'll also personally grumble about 'person with autism' but now fellow high functioning autistics who prefer it).

Secondly, well done on generalising. We have no idea if Bartmanhomer has typical Asbergers or something slightly different, I personally have a form of HFA that gives me a great memory for data, but I won't remember it unless I'm interested. I personally could not tell you more than the general price for something at my favourite restaurant. Heck, I forget names after 10 minutes even if I make an effort to remember them. If I had picked out what I wanted and was spending my time in the queue catching up on The Order of the Stick I would likely only be able to tell you the costs of what I've ordered.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Although I don't have it on me (I keep it filed) I personally do have a diagnosis of autism, and know some other high functioning autistic people, and it can very wildly so in some ways it is useful to ask a lot of questions in order to understand exactly how it affects them (for example, many people think my speech impediment, generally misidentified as a stammer, comes from my autism, when in fact I just learnt to speak late and so can't naturally pause to get my breath back). Although this depends on the person, I personally have no problem with people trying to pick apart my condition and behaviour to try to understand me better, but some autistic people do.

First off, can we please not use autist? I personally find it an insulting term (partially because of how it was used at school just after I got my diagnosis) and significantly prefer 'autistic person'. Yes, I know that there will be some people who prefer the term (just like I insist I have a condition which requires me to use mitigation strategies, instead of a disability where I have to use coping strategies), but generally autistic person is better (I'll also personally grumble about 'person with autism' but now fellow high functioning autistics who prefer it).

Secondly, well done on generalising. We have no idea if Bartmanhomer has typical Asbergers or something slightly different, I personally have a form of HFA that gives me a great memory for data, but I won't remember it unless I'm interested. I personally could not tell you more than the general price for something at my favourite restaurant. Heck, I forget names after 10 minutes even if I make an effort to remember them. If I had picked out what I wanted and was spending my time in the queue catching up on The Order of the Stick I would likely only be able to tell you the costs of what I've ordered.
    The name of Aspergers and other names have changed to Autism Spectrum Disorder.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

The name of Aspergers and other names have changed to Autism Spectrum Disorder.
    ASD is a weird term. When I got my diagnosis it was used to mean 'not neurotypical but doesn't qualify for a stronger diagnosis'. For what it's worth, Aspergers is a specific type of ASD that might not be recognised in some documents used for diagnosis. Aspergers is still a useful term because it talks about a specific set of symptoms that are relatively common (although not everyone with Aspergers has every symptom, they have more than I do). ASD has existed for at least 8 years (roughly when I got my diagnosis, and ASD and Aspergers were considered different things back then).

If any psychologists were able to elaborate on the differences and if Aspergers is still considered a 'thing' that would be great.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

....I don't need any translator to translated my language.

Please:

"to translate my language."

Not "translated".

Though "I didn't need any translator to have translated my language", would have worked as well.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

Please:

"to translate my language."

Not "translated".

Though "I didn't need any translator to have translated my language", would have worked as well.
    "I didn't need any translator to have translated my language" doesn't work.

"To translate" is an infinitive and so doesn't need to be adjusted depending on the tense of other verbs in the sentence.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    "I didn't need any translator to have translated my language" doesn't work.

"To translate" is an infinitive and so doesn't need to be adjusted depending on the tense of other verbs in the sentence.
    What difference does it make?! Why are we still even talking about it anyway? It's been two weeks already. It's over. It seems that everybody still making a big deal about it!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    First off, can we please not use autist? I personally find it an insulting term (partially because of how it was used at school just after I got my diagnosis) and significantly prefer 'autistic person'.
    Sure, of course!

Secondly, well done on generalising. We have no idea if Bartmanhomer has typical Asbergers or something slightly different, I personally have a form of HFA that gives me a great memory for data...
    I'm all but certain he said he had typical Asperger's in the past.

And anyway, I said "probably". Same way I would say that if I learn on an online discussion forum that you're a Finnish tourist visiting Spain in summer, among basic advice you probably want to make sure you take measures against sunburn, even though it's entirely possible that you might be a citizen of Finland who's 100% ethnically Congolese. No need to make a big deal out of it.

15. - Top - End - #165

At the risk of pissing people off ........

I take psych meds myself, and I don't talk about my diagnosis because ........

If you can't deal with it, don't answer my posts, ignore me, block me, whatever .......

Don't just assume I don't know anything because I have a condition, and don't think you have to talk dumb to me, and don't think I won't get upset when you are being insensitive .....

Have I left anything out?
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
    At the risk of pissing people off ........

I take psych meds myself, and I don't talk about my diagnosis because ........

If you can't deal with it, don't answer my posts, ignore me, block me, whatever .......

Don't just assume I don't know anything because I have a condition, and don't think you have to talk dumb to me, and don't think I won't get upset when you are being insensitive .....

Have I left anything out?
    No. You explain it very well.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

What difference does it make?! Why are we still even talking about it anyway? It's been two weeks already. It's over. It seems that everybody still making a big deal about it!
    Because when you make every little event in your life a forum* topic, sometimes people are going to run with it. Especially when there are elements of inconsistency, of poor communication, a high emotional content, and a posture of defensiveness from a potentially at fault party.

All of which you have brought to the table and more.

If you don't want people picking apart your life, maybe chronicle it in a journal rather than here.

*Noun. A gathering place for the exchange of ideas and debate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Because when you make every little event in your life a forum* topic, sometimes people are going to run with it. Especially when there are elements of inconsistency, of poor communication, a high emotional content, and a posture of defensiveness from a potentially at fault party.

All of which you have brought to the table and more.

If you don't want people picking apart your life, maybe chronicle it in a journal rather than here.

*Noun. A gathering place for the exchange of ideas and debate.
    You're right. I'm sorry again for being so defensive. I'll try to be a bit more open-minded and not getting so defensive about it.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

In this instance, you complained that you didn't need anyone to translate your language. And the very sentence in which you annouced that was parsed incorrectly. It was somewhat ironic.

Then 2d8HP corrected you, picking up on the irony, but in doing so made an error himself. Which is if anything even more ironic than your initial error, so I picked up on that.

That is all.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

In this instance, you complained that you didn't need anyone to translate your language. And the very sentence in which you annouced that was parsed incorrectly. It was somewhat ironic.

Then 2d8HP corrected you, picking up on the irony, but in doing so made an error himself. Which is if anything even more ironic than your initial error, so I picked up on that.

That is all.
    Oh. I guess I own 2d8HP. an apology. Sorry 2d8HP.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh. I guess I own 2d8HP.
    No, you don't own him...

:p

(You might consider you owe him an apology, yes.)

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

...but in doing so made an error himself. Which is if anything even more ironic than your initial error, so I picked up on that....
    Oh. I guess I own 2d8HP. an apology. Sorry 2d8HP.
    No apology needed at all.

Also, thanks to Aedilred I learned something (as may be guessed by my gibberish filled posts, I read a lot but I'm very uneducated).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

My best advice for you is to either stop caring what people write in here from here on out, or at least to stop reading it. You'll save yourself a lot of aggravation, it would seem, by just ignoring it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    My best advice for you is to either stop caring what people write in here from here on out, or at least to stop reading it. You'll save yourself a lot of aggravation, it would seem, by just ignoring it.
    As golentan puts it, an even better way of saving himself the aggravation would be to stop making little irrelevant events of his life into forum threads if he doesn't want other users chiming in with their two cents on those events.

As we say here (and I'm not sure the translation works), that's just you being the craftsman building your own unhappiness, so, look into the mirror if you want it to change.

Alternatively, you can try to develop a thicker skin, and continue to deal with people, nearly all of which (at least on this forum) are probably decently well intentioned.
    Last edited by lio45; 2017-02-01 at 12:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175

This thread was a journey, man. It started with pizza, had some confusion in the middle, and closed off with a chat about autism.

But did everyone in the restaurant clap at the end?
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    This thread was a journey, man. It started with pizza, had some confusion in the middle, and closed off with a chat about autism.

No they didn't clap. The rest of the customers just mind their own business.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-02-08 at 06:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    That woman's name? Albert Einstein.

Has someone already made this joke?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    That woman's name? Albert Einstein.

Has someone already made this joke?
    Lol, this had my breakfast coming out of my nose with my colleague looking on in disgust and wonder.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    8bithomer is the best thing to happen to this forum.
    Nice. 8bithomer. So, I heard 8bitninja used to be kinda bad... But he changed. (Heard it from him). So, just out of curiosity of what my own brother ​did before, what did he do?

((I think I'm a little late))
    Last edited by Green Elf; 2017-05-03 at 07:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Green Elf View Post
    Nice. 8bithomer. So, I heard 8bitninja used to be kinda bad... But he changed. (Heard it from him). So, just out of curiosity of what my own brother ​did before, what did he do?

((I think I'm a little late))
    Dear Pagan Gods, just let this thread die already. If 8-bit ninja is your brother, why don't you just go and ask him?
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-05-03 at 08:15 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"