New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Woman Defended Me At The Pizza Place

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Yeah very often the burger plus one part of the trio is more expensive than the trio. Looking briefly online I did see one article with prices mention 5.99 for the burger and 10.25 for the trio. That does seem like a much bigger gap than normal. Usually it's around a $2 gap which ends up making sense. There's a McDonalds in the bus terminus on my way home, I'll check today.
    The burger was $5.99 and the trio was $11.48 as of last week at the McDonald's atop the hill on King Street East in Sherbrooke QC.

A normal Big Mac is $5 (so, the bacon adds a dollar, which is normal) but the normal Big Mac trio is something like ~$8 (a normal price - but then that extra bacon costs you $3! which isn't normal).

[Precision: that exclamation point expresses anger/surprise at that highway robbery, the bacon does not actually cost three factorial, which would be six. It's always been somewhat amusing to me that mathematically, if you want to exclaim "five!" you're actually saying a hundred and twenty.]
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

Wait, so the woman left without buying anything?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Y.T. View Post
    No she didn't buy anything at all. She just left because I'm guessing she didn't like the service that the pizza place is running.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

On combos sometimes being odd.
    --
    At Burger King, at least here where I live, it's cheaper to buy two 10-piece chicken nuggets than it is to buy the 20-piece. (I think something like $3 for two 10-piece, while $5 for a 20-piece.) From what I can tell, there wasn't sale going on.
    I'm glad they weren't busy when I was there, since that gave me time to look over the menu, realize that oddity, and ask if it was correct or if I was misreading it. The clerk rather nicely said I was correct. From working in fast food previously, I reckon she was amused someone caught the cheaper way to order.

Since 'dollar menu' things now tend to be something like 1.00 to 1.59, I find it harder to tell if ordering a combo is cheaper than ordering its composite parts.

I also noticed at Sam's that, when ordering a pizza combo, the drink portion is something like 50 cents, while if you order a hot dog combo, the drink portion is something like 30 cents. (What I mean by 'drink portion' is the price of the drink above what buying the food item alone would be.) This is a little interesting to me since the hot dogs themselves are cheaper than pizza, so it incentivizes buying the cheaper item overall. (At least, it does for me, since I like getting the cheapest deal, even if the food isn't as tastey. Though their hot dogs are rather good, as hot dogs go.)

Also, where I work, they sell hot wings in our cafeteria-like place. It's cheaper to buy two 4-piece of wings than it is to buy a 7-piece.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2017-01-26 at 03:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Y.T. View Post
    That's what surprised me too. I'm thinking the woman was in on it. What "it" is I'm not sure yet, but I sense a conspiracy. So far it reminds me of a good cop/bad cop routine.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    That's what surprised me too. I'm thinking the woman was in on it. What "it" is I'm not sure yet, but I sense a conspiracy. So far it reminds me of a good cop/bad cop routine.
    What's conspiracy?! Explain yourself, please I really do need to know. And please don't say that the pizza place is run by pizza aliens!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What's conspiracy?! Explain yourself, please I really do need to know. And please don't say that the pizza place is run by pizza aliens!
    The pizza place is run by aliens.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    The pizza place is run by aliens.
    I told you not to say that.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Technically, you said not to say they are pizza aliens, and Razade's statement is about generic aliens without description. Though I suppose either type managing one's pizza place is disturbing, though I would find pizza aliens serving me pizza more disturbing.

And I'm guessing Murk was just joking. I could see the lady legitimately being upset at the service and not wanting to give the shop any money after that. Seems odd, maybe, but nothing conspiratorial. I can't see the shop gaining anything by having a person pose as an angry customer who decides not to buy anything. They don't even generate good will by that.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2017-01-26 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added smiley

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Technically, you said not to say they are pizza aliens, and Razade's statement is about generic aliens without description. Though I suppose either type managing one's pizza place is disturbing, though I would find pizza aliens serving me pizza more disturbing.

And I'm guessing Murk was just joking. I could see the lady legitimately being upset at the service and not wanting to give the shop any money after that. Seems odd, maybe, but nothing conspiratorial. I can't see the shop gaining anything by having a person pose as an angry customer who decides not to buy anything. They don't even generate good will by that.
    I meant pizza space aliens. Sorry if I wasn't specific earlier.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

For clarity, I meant space aliens as well. I assumed all aliens spoken of were referring to extraterrestrial beings, whether they are composed of/related to pizza or not.

I was just meaning to add some linguistic nitpicking, kindly-meant, to the joke. I'm not real used to using smileys or interpreting them, though. If I gave offense or led to frustration, my apologies.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Y'know, I wonder if people have made a Pizza Space Princess to go along with Lumpy Space Princess.

Probably, considering Tumblr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

I meant pizza space aliens. Sorry if I wasn't specific earlier.
    Sometimes I wonder if Bart is stringing other posters along, and if the joke is really on them.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2017-01-26 at 05:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

You're not the boss of me. What're you going to do about it? I only listen to the Space Pizza Aliens.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    At Burger King, at least here where I live, it's cheaper to buy two 10-piece chicken nuggets than it is to buy the 20-piece. (I think something like $3 for two 10-piece, while $5 for a 20-piece.) From what I can tell, there wasn't sale going on.
    I'm glad they weren't busy when I was there, since that gave me time to look over the menu, realize that oddity, and ask if it was correct or if I was misreading it. The clerk rather nicely said I was correct. From working in fast food previously, I reckon she was amused someone caught the cheaper way to order.
    Nah, it's not just you, unless you happen to live in Alabama. I really have to wonder how some major burger chain managed that oversight, unless it was intentional, for whatever reason.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    You're not the boss of me. What're you going to do about it? I only listen to the Space Pizza Aliens.
    But are they legal pizza space aliens or illegal pizza space aliens?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Pizza aliens don't care about jurisdictions our puny non-cheese and bread based lifeforms.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

Awesome people are awesome! I'm glad there are still people who aren't afraid to stand up for others.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

The real question here is: are the Pizza space aliens run by Pizza the Hut?
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper
    May the force be with you

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if Bart is stringing other posters along, and if the joke is really on them.
    My question for the past year.

It's been a while since I bet on page count. I'll say this topic has another page left in it before it gets heated and closed. Any takers?
    Last edited by T-Mick; 2017-01-27 at 07:47 AM.
    CAELUM NON ANIMUM MUTAT QUI TRANS MARE CURRIT

21. - Top - End - #141
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Deals that aren't actually deals are quite common round where I live.

Supermarkets typically sell bagged fruit and vegetables at higher prices (£/kg) than the same stuff loose. And I've occasionally seen a number of multi-buy deals that are worse than buying make the items more expensive.

I've also recently seen a number of pubs and small shops offering joke deals, like "Buy one for twice the price, get a second one free!".

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Deals that aren't actually deals are....
    At my last retail job (1993 2000), the owner would eveyr so often glance around the shop, pick out an item, order the price tripled, and then say to sell it at "50% off".
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    At my last retail job (1993 2000), the owner would eveyr so often glance around the shop, pick out an item, order the price tripled, and then say to sell it at "50% off".
    I personally am wise to the 'double/triple the price and then sell at 50% off' trick (as in I've seriously seen places increase the price just so more people by at the 'deal' price, which is what I paid for it beforehand), and have a mental list of 'I expect X to cost about £Y' to help me catch them. Although I know we have more regulations regarding deals than America does (I believe that for sales specifically you have to prove you sold it at the 'standard' price for a certain amount of time, most of us know that the expected price is still the sale price 80% of the time). I don't think I've ever seen a multi-buy deal worse than the individual parts, although bagged fruit and veg is generally a tad more expensive (which is why I tend to buy loose fruit and potatoes, I don't need to pay for them to be weighed and bagged).

Because I know that if I see three cans of brand name tuna going for £3 then I've got an actual deal (when that one showed up it equated to at least a 33% price drop for about two months, there were a lot more tuna sandwiches than normal), and I suspect a decent proportion of people do have an awareness of what they buy regularly that they can easily spot a fake deal.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Deals that aren't actually deals are quite common round where I live.

Supermarkets typically sell bagged fruit and vegetables at higher prices (£/kg) than the same stuff loose. And I've occasionally seen a number of multi-buy deals that are worse than buying make the items more expensive.
    That's more a convenience thing than a non-deal though. Pre-packaged foods are going to be more expensive even if it's literally the identical loose product. Occasionally you'll see things where the smaller packages have better $/weight value than a larger package, but these tend to be when one is on sale and the other isn't. It's usually some sort of inventory issue at the store (this happens with groceries fairly frequently).

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

I personally am wise to the 'double/triple the price and then sell at 50% off' trick (as in I've seriously seen places increase the price just so more people by at the 'deal' price, which is what I paid for it beforehand), and have a mental list of 'I expect X to cost about £Y' to help me catch them. Although I know we have more regulations regarding deals than America does (I believe that for sales specifically you have to prove you sold it at the 'standard' price for a certain amount of time, most of us know that the expected price is still the sale price 80% of the time). I don't think I've ever seen a multi-buy deal worse than the individual parts, although bagged fruit and veg is generally a tad more expensive (which is why I tend to buy loose fruit and potatoes, I don't need to pay for them to be weighed and bagged).

Because I know that if I see three cans of brand name tuna going for £3 then I've got an actual deal (when that one showed up it equated to at least a 33% price drop for about two months, there were a lot more tuna sandwiches than normal), and I suspect a decent proportion of people do have an awareness of what they buy regularly that they can easily spot a fake deal.
    Yeah, it is illegal to increase the price then pretend to be offering a discount here as well.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Yeah, it is illegal to increase the price then pretend to be offering a discount here as well.
    It's weird, I have seen places here jack up the price and then offer a discount, but it generally comes out as 'costs as much as or a bit less than the normal price'. Although there are plenty of jokes about how certain stores have split their stock into two sections, the 'winter sale' lot and the 'summer sale' lot, and just switch which is easily noticeable. Honestly the idea of an item perpetually on sale confuses me because I'm used to how it's done here.

Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Honestly the idea of an item perpetually on sale confuses me because I'm used to how it's done here.
    There's an old saying. If it's always on sale, then it's never on sale.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    There's an old saying. If it's always on sale, then it's never on sale.
    The store I work at has "every day low price" items, which are, basically, always on sale. And youre right, the point is that the item is perpetually at a lower price than it was before it got that tag.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Given how badly Bartmanhomer has communicated the details of this very simple situation, and the way that, the more details he is eventually prevailed upon to clarify, the less sense the whole scenario makes, I am minded to think that he is either making a substantial portion (possibly the entirety) of this story up or that his failure to communicate adequately manifested itself in the scenario in question, with confusing results for everyone involved.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Given how badly Bartmanhomer has communicated the details of this very simple situation, and the way that, the more details he is eventually prevailed upon to clarify, the less sense the whole scenario makes, I am minded to think that he is either making a substantial portion (possibly the entirety) of this story up or that his failure to communicate adequately manifested itself in the scenario in question, with confusing results for everyone involved.
    Yep, and I unfortunately think it doesn't augur well for his infamous business with that movie theater lady, given that obtaining her phone number then going on dates is orders of magnitude more difficult than successfully ordering pizza.

Advice: set your sights on reasonable goals first, don't try to aim too high. When your basic skills have improved, then you can gradually change the target.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.