New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: HALO 182: Wait, what if we ARE Lawbreaking?

[Inside Underwater]

That absolutely generic human boy just got really creepy. Strawberry tries to evade his arms at first, but in a small, cramped, half-flooded room, that doesn't really work out well. Before being lifted/dragged through the doorway, she closes her eyes, anticipating the pain from going through a magic barrier that blocks the very stuff that makes up half of your body mass.
    Strawberry is a good lot heavier than an average human, but Thariza looks like she could probably handle that. Arlem doesn't, but then again, he doesn't look like someone who can stretch his arms to nightmarish proportions either.
    Nexus characters-----Disclaimer: IC opinions and knowledge does not reflect OOC opinions and knowledge.-----I always appreciate feedback. Especially if you think I'm doing something wrong.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

[Inside Underwater ==> Swimming Pool]

"Oh. Well then. I'll put her in the swimming pool, and see about contacting Civvy."

Thariza indeed doesn't have much trouble carrying Strawberry. She does her best not to make her uncomfortable as she does so, before depositing her in an indoors swimming pool.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Inside Underwater]

The barrier is not at all painful or dangerous to cross, and does not leave one lethally dehydrated. Either it doesn't reach inside solids, or it's looking for a particular composition of seawater, or it just does what the caster means. Strawberry should find her skin slightly dry, but nothing harmful.

Arlem does seem to struggle for a moment with the weight of the mermaid, but then he manages, and hands her off to the Charr in just a moment anyhow.

"Thank you, Thariza. My apologies, but some things won't wait." Or in this case, some people.

After retracting his arms back to a reasonable size, he smoothly disappears, teleported away.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

An actual swimming pool. Not the kind of holding cell Strawberry had been expecting, but hey, don't complain if something good is happening to you. When put into the pool, she won't swim around or anything, just sheepishly float there, head above the surface. She breathes air, as not to get chlorinated water into her lungs.
    "So, uhh... are you a warrior too, if I may ask? Because of the armor, you know?" Strawberry asks (if Thariza doesn't leave looking for Civvy immediately) to keep the awkward silence away.
    Nexus characters-----Disclaimer: IC opinions and knowledge does not reflect OOC opinions and knowledge.-----I always appreciate feedback. Especially if you think I'm doing something wrong.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"I prefer to be called a soldier. But yes," Thariza says, sitting down near the pool. "You don't look much like one, though."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Strawberry is actually happy to hear that last comment. She smiles at Thariza, exposing her dark blue, metallic teeth. "Actually, I served 48 years in the military." She might be quite a bit older than the mid-50s she looks. Although her voice sounds a lot younger than that. "Navy infantry branch. My whole body is even made for war, with all the stuff like muscle power, reflexes, fast healing and five types of armor. Here, look." She takes her knife and thrusts it into her throat full-force. But thanks to the chainmail-like steelwood rings embedded under her skin, it leaves barely more than a scratch.
    "I think people who call themselves soldiers are more pleasant than those who call themselves warriors. Being a warrior sounds so primitive and bloodthirsty, don't you think?"
    Last edited by Cola; 2017-04-09 at 03:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Thariza doesn't have time to be shocked when the mermaid demonstrates her internal armour.

"That is pretty impressive," she admits. "Forty-eight years? That's more than I've lived at all. But yes, when I hear 'warrior', I think of someone poorly-disciplined, who fights for their own glory and spoils. A soldier follows orders and fights in formation."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"And doesn't go around marauding instead of actually fighting the enem... no, sorry, scratch that, some soldiers still do that." She says with a hint of bitterness and disgust.
    "To be honest, I've never fought in formation. That's just not really done anymore where I'm from, and pretty difficult underwater anyways.
    My name is Strawberry, by they way. Well, my nickname at least."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"Formation can mean a lot of things. As long as you don't just run off and do your own thing," Thariza says. "I'm Thariza Brighthorn. I'm a member here, but I was, uh, away for a time. I'd just come back." What she means is that she was dead for a while, but she'd rather not talk about it.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Rather not talk about it? Too bad.
    "Like, on vacation or some far away placement? And what is your job or position inside HALO, if I may ask?" Strawberry asks, still visibly nervous.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Thariza's tail swishes nervously. Why'd she bring it up in the first place?

"I was... indisposed after a battle and I took some time to recover. And I'm really a grunt in HALO. I go where I'm needed and hit what needs hitting."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"Isn't that normal for a soldier? I've had my fair share of injured time, too. I even was dead two or three times, but the medics always managed to bring me back after the fighting was over. Not very pleasant memories."
    "A grunt?" Strawberry is surprised Thariza actually called herself that. "I thought that was a word from those violent video games and stuff, for those mindless muscle warriors that can't think for themselves? I'd be rather insulted if someone called me that." In her home world, that word just didn't exist in military slang.
    Last edited by Cola; 2017-04-11 at 01:04 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Thariza shrugs. Partially to cover up her discomfort with how casually Strawberry talks about being dead. For her, it's something she can't wrap her head around.

"I know my place. I know what I can do, and what I'm not cut out for. I'm strong, I have my magic, and I can hit bad guys where it hurts. I can fix and repair vehicles and guns if I have to, like any Iron Legion footslogger. I let others figure out the plans and details."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"But isn't fixing vehicles and guns and knowing magic already more than the average grunt knows? Even if you're mostly following orders and hitting poeple with brute strength, I don't think you should label yourself as less than you are. But that's just my own opinion, of course." Strawberry adds, as if she had to excuse herself for what she just said.
    "So, what kind or magic do you use? I'm kinda curious now."
    Last edited by Cola; 2017-04-12 at 01:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

((Ack. Sorry, I forgot about this scene. >.<))

[Swimming Pool]

Thariza shrugs.

"If you say so. It's never been anything major. Magic isn't that special where I'm from. And, uh... my magic seems to have changed recently. I'm still figuring it out. It's connected to the reason I was out. It used to be protective and support magic. Now it's... something else."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

((If this isn't entertaining, feel free to get Civvy any time. Or change things up in another way.))

[Swimming Pool]

Strawberry frowns a little.
    "So now it hurts people, I assume?" That's actually more of a blind guess. But still, healing turning into hurting sounds more likely than healing turning into pulling strings of colored tissues out of your nose. "Have you maybe found out why it has changed? I mean, I know next to nothing about magic, but there must have happened something pretty strange if the same magic words now have different effects, right?"
    Last edited by Cola; 2017-04-14 at 12:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"I don't really use magic words to begin with. It's martial magic," Thariza explains. "I, uh... ah, cogs. I brought it up, so it's no use being cagey. I was dead for a while. And I think a trip to the Mists might have changed things. But I haven't properly tested it yet."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Martial magic? That term reminds Strawberry of those Kung-Fu masters who allegedly channel some magic energy to crush stone and bone alike. But then what is martial magic healing? Rubbing a wound until it heals itself? She spaces out for a second as she thinks about it.
    "You were dead?... Oh... I'm sorry to hear that, I really am. Sorry for being so inquisitive." Must be a touchy subject for Thariza if she tried to be cagey about it. Better drop it.
    Now Strawberry just idly floats there for a few seconds, thinking hard about how to change the subject without being too abrupt.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Thariza gets up.

"I'm going to see about finding Civvy. You stay put. I'm pretty sure I can outrun you outside of water."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"Pretty much everyone can outrun me. And I don't even know where I should run to, anyway."
    With these words, Strawberry lets go of the pool wall and lazily drifts towards the center, looking around a bit.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Thariza quickly discovers Civvy isn't in the base. So she does what she apparently is supposed to do, and sends a message via paper plane. Civvy is apparently a goddess, and gods are weird.

"A mermaid broke a window and fell into the base. She says she was hired by you to check the walls for faults. Know anything about that?"

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

A letter arrives for Halo. Tobias would probably be the official person for it, but if he isn't here at the moment any member will do. Civvy might get it if she patrols the mailbox.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2017-04-17 at 12:03 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Having received an answer from Civvy (in a PM), Thariza returns there.

"Well, she says she never hired anyone to do that. Someone here is pulling someone's tail."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Strawberry is sitting on the edge of the pool, listening to music on her phone. When she sees Thariza approach, she quickly takes out the ear plugs.
    "She didn't? But... but the signature was there and an accurate map of the base was attached and... really, I swear I'm not here to sabotage anything! I was told it would be a normal security check! The gun and knife are just to defend myself against those sharks, I..." She stops her frantic explanations for about two seconds, a look of sudden clarity on her face. "There were no sharks. I swam around the base for at least twenty minutes and saw a single little shark, and it ran away from me. Are there actually no ravenous killer sharks around here?"

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"Uh, maybe?" Thariza doesn't sound too assured of that. "I wouldn't know. I don't swim outside. But I've never seen any through the windows. Maybe some falsified her signature to get you to sabotage the base. Although that feels kind of pointless."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"But I honestly didn't want to sabotage anything. Again, I broke that window by mistake, I'm so sorry for that. I was only told to check for... weak spots. Heavens, my boss and I were tricked into a spy mission, and we absolutely fell for it." Heavy disappointment now swings in Strawberry's voice. "But why, who would want to know the base's weak spots? Almost everyone I know pretty much likes and respects HALO. Well, everyone except for those pirate guys infesting Bayside."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"I don't know of any pirates," Thariza admits. "But I was dead for a while, so... things slipped by me. Are you sure your boss isn't in on it?"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Strawberry is surprised. "You don't? As far as I know, Bayside has been a major pirate harbor since pretty much ever. Even the ruler of the city is a pirate boss. I think his name is Don Juliano Karnago, but don't quote me on that."
    She frowns. "What do you mean he might be 'in on it'? Like, he faked the e-mail himself or something?" Apparently Strawberry doesn't use her brain very extensively either.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

"That, or he knew it was fake, and passed it on to you, so you'd break in here," Thariza says.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

[Swimming Pool]

Strawberry silently looks down at her hands for a few seconds. "That could make sense." she sighs. "Pretty much every bigger business in Bayside is somehow involved with or extorted by the pirates and has to do their bidding. And who would be a better candidate for a spy mission than someone who can breathe underwater, has combat experience, has done spy missions in the past and is hard to kill? It makes some sense. But to be honest, I really hope for your assumptions to be wrong. Do you think we should maybe call him and confront him with the situation?"
    Last edited by Cola; 2017-04-20 at 12:47 AM.