New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default A Handbook on Dungeon making

A cursory google search nets me nothing, so does anyone know of a guide on Dungeon making or something similar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: A Handbook on Dungeon making

I don't think such a handbook exists (or at least I have not encountered one in my searches). Most of the written information is scattered around in various snippets and then there is a lot that is experience based.

Dungeonscape(D&D) and Dungeoncraft(d20) have some good material.

There is the topic of "What makes a trap bad, and thus how to not make bad traps?" for which I found this article bad-trap-syndrome/.

Also the Three Clue Rule is a good rule to remember although for puzzles you might want to use a 3 solutions known rule (aka the puzzle has at least 3 solutions and might have more).

Some pieces are larger: For example, you can map out your dungeon as a flowchart. This will make it much easier to see how many options you are allowing the PCs to have (linear, linear-branching, looping ...)

Other pieces are smaller: For example, dungeon ceilings should be vaulted/arched or otherwise reinforced to hold up the weight above them.

Eventually you get to the parts where it is more of an art than a science. Choice of shape, size, & edging can imply what kind of denizens live in that area (or at least what creatures built it).
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2017-01-21 at 11:25 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Funnily enough the "guide" making community is more focused on char-op lists than guiding advice most of the time. For that you want blogs and youtubes. The Alexandrian has a series of articles, not all of which I've read but those of which I have were great. Mat Colville's youtube about teaching people how to run the game, though I'm not sure he has a video so direct as "how to make a dungeon."

The simplest method is to find something that already exists which you like the looks of, then modify it as needed.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2017-01-21 at 07:52 PM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Most of the ones I've seen on DMing are either a fairly lengthy series of posts, such as by the Angry GM or are incomplete like this one from these very forums.

As for actual dungeon construction itself... Practically nothing, except for a few blog posts on the subject, such as part of a series like the Angry GM's.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2017-01-21 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Seconding the Angry GM. I've recently been doing a similar search, and ended up hitting posts like this. There's also the Chris Perkins Dungeon Master's Experience Archive that might be of interest. It's very broad, not just about adventure design, but touches on it a lot.
    Last edited by pupaeted; 2017-01-21 at 04:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

See if you can track down the Dungeon Builder's Guidebook from 2e.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

The 1st edition AD&D DMG has simple rules for building dungeons.
    The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook? As I remember it was a bit of a mess for editing, but it has some decent ideas in there.