New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Need help finding video editing software.

i'd like to get into recording videos so me and my friends can look back on old games we play together and the like and laugh. but I’ve run into a snag.

I need a free (or at least cheap) video-editing software that supports editing mp4 files, and allows multiple audio tracks to be edited. Tried windows movie maker, wouldn't support mp4. Tried Lightworks, wouldn't support second audio track

what I’d like to do is record the game audio on one track and my voice audio on a separate track so i can easily edit-out any heavy breaths or coughs i may make without causing a half-second of complete silence in the video or cutting the video at all. With Lightworks, i have not been able to do that.

Any recommendations? Still new to this recording thing keep in mind.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Need help finding video editing software.

I know VSDC can use MP4, and I'm pretty sure one can add multiple audio tracks in it. I'm not 100% on its audio capabilities, though, since I haven't used it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I thought the basic Windows Movie Maker can do those and it's provided in your Windows? I might be wrong on both part though.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

movie maker didn't work for me. wouldn't run mp4 and converting the mp4 to annother format either made me loose all video or get a severe drop in quality.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    movie maker didn't work for me. wouldn't run mp4 and converting the mp4 to annother format either made me loose all video or get a severe drop in quality.
    Are you using the latest WMM for Windows 10? Microsoft lists MP4 as a supported file format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Are you using the latest WMM for Windows 10? Microsoft lists MP4 as a supported file format.
    don't think so, mine is pretty old and i don't think i've updated it recently actually.

and i only use windows 7.

actually kind of worried about updating it. I started a project on WMM sevral years ago that i never finished, and admittedly probably never will finish. Would still hate to have it dissapear for good though.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2017-01-23 at 02:16 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just a note about quality: pretty much all video editing software works by effectively uncompressing the original video and then re-compressing it down at the end. This will always result in a loss of quality, because the final video has been compressed twice, potentially using different compression methods. It's always better to start with uncompressed (or very lightly compressed) video to start with for this reason.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Just a note about quality: pretty much all video editing software works by effectively uncompressing the original video and then re-compressing it down at the end. This will always result in a loss of quality, because the final video has been compressed twice, potentially using different compression methods. It's always better to start with uncompressed (or very lightly compressed) video to start with for this reason.
    This. When doing digital stuff, the "video" to be edited is often rendered out with each frame an individual image files. No video at all, at that phase - the editing software creates the video file from the image sequence. The reason I mention this is...

Blender 3D, a 3D modeling package, also has video editing tools. It has all the basic tools and functionality, and it is free, but the user interface is a bit weird, and the video editing UI is based on the user knowing a bit about the 3D modeling UI, and doing some of the basic video editing stuff is needlessly complex at times. But it does work, and it is free.

I've only ever used it to compile image sequences to a video, so I don't know how well it compares to actual video editing software. Basic cuts, transitions etc. all work. I think it is missing buillt-in solid color slides (you have to import images) and I think last time I looked it was ALSO missing built-in text tools. Again, you'd have to import text from outside, probably as an image. If that hasn't changed, it limits you from doing meaningful edits on credits list and anything else text-heavy.

9. - Top - End - #9

No. Please don't recommend blender to a casual user who's not even wanting to do any 3d modelling.

Please ;_;
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Okay, that's nice. But that's not the problem.

I need video editing software that supports multi-audio track editing

not a lecture on video quality.

thank you.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It seemed relevant because you said the main reason you didn't use Movie Maker was because of the drop in quality.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

i'm talking like i reccorded in 1080 p but was getting 144p quality. if 1080p quality gets bumped down to 720 like what happened with lightworks, then its' really not an issue for me.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

currently looking at Kdenlive to see if it's any good. any thoughts on the matter?

Still looking for help with this btw.

edit: Such help, much support. wow.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2017-01-26 at 08:07 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

aaand kdenlive is garbage. urgh. i don't suppose anyone has any experiance with lightworks? i could understand lightworks, i just couldn't get it to support multi-track audio
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

iMovie from Apple can do this.

Of course, it's "free" only if you have a mac, otherwise ...
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    No. Please don't recommend blender to a casual user who's not even wanting to do any 3d modelling.

Please ;_;
    I couldn't suss out Blender and i play Dwarf Fortress
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Windows movie maker is good but since it is free it will never have all that options you need. Try Bolide movie creator, it has a free version (you can download it here - http://movie-creator.com/) and it uses mp4. Additionally, you will be able to add audio, video or photos to your project as well as many wonderful visual effects. Enjoy!
    It’s all about where you going no matter where you’ve been

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

If WMM does not work, I don't think there is any freeware available out there...This free HD converter you may have a try if you just want to cut, merge, rotate, mute videos. However, why not turn to paid powerful video editing software like PowerDirector AVS video editor, Ashampoo Movie Studio, etc?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would using Audacity to splice multiple audio tracks together and exporting as a single track be an acceptable workaround?