New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

Well, I've ordered a hard copy. I'll try to remember to give a review here once I've taken a look.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Where do you get the timestamp for a file on drive-thru RPG? I cannot see how to get to it?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

On the product page, in the "Product information" sidebar on the right, the second to last point. For Shadowrun Anarchy, that says File last updated October 8th, 2016 (Or sth to that effect... translations and ****...)
    Last edited by Floret; 2017-09-07 at 06:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

In 4th Edition --

I want to make a sneaky character, probably mildly magical (but I'm not tied to that). I want this sneaky character to have a way to create or widen holes that she can squirm through. It'd need to be quiet, of course. What ways are there to quietly deal damage to a wide variety of objects? Or move them out of the way, at least, without spending all my spell picks on Shape [Material Type] spells?

Current games list

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Shapechange ? Why create bigger holes when you can create a smaller you
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #186
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    This would be my answer. Other than that, maybe some Elemental Manipulations that create Acid?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    This would be my answer. Other than that, maybe some Elemental Manipulations that create Acid?
    HCl- and NaOH+. Not everything is dissolvable by acid. Or even by a base. Ceramics are remarkably resistant to those substances, and I have no idea how PlasteelTM reacts. One formula had a critical weakness to a particular chemical catalyst, but I'm sure they've since fixed that vulnerability (DNA/DOA - 1989).

Thermite is relatively quiet as I understand it. Certainly compared to C4 or C12 plastique.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-09-08 at 09:47 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm making my first ever Shadowrun starting character. 5th edition rules. I'm semi-familiar with the setting from playing the Shadowrun Returns videogame, but I'm completely new to the system itself and it's a lot to take in. My favorite D&D5e classes are Rogue, Fighter, and Paladin, in roughly that order. I know I want my Runner to be an Elf.

Any recommendations for a build structure, or links to a prebuilt character? I'd appreciate any help.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

The general roles in Shadowrun are Face, Utility, Intelligence Gatherer, and Combat.

The general archetypes are: Decker (computer hacker), Rigger (drones and vehicles), Magic User (still a difference between Shamans and Mages?), and Street Samurai (ranged or close combat, cyberneticly or magically assisted).

Elves make great Faces, because of a racial bonus to charisma (unless you have to deal with someone from Humanis). But they can also fill any of the other roles pretty well, too. They can also fill any of the archetypes as well.

So before we can recommend a build, you need to decide on a role and an archetype. So you tell us, what kind of an elf do you want to play?
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    The general roles in Shadowrun are Face, Utility, Intelligence Gatherer, and Combat.

The general archetypes are: Decker (computer hacker), Rigger (drones and vehicles), Magic User (still a difference between Shamans and Mages?), and Street Samurai (ranged or close combat, cyberneticly or magically assisted).

Elves make great Faces, because of a racial bonus to charisma (unless you have to deal with someone from Humanis). But they can also fill any of the other roles pretty well, too. They can also fill any of the archetypes as well.

So before we can recommend a build, you need to decide on a role and an archetype. So you tell us, what kind of an elf do you want to play?
    I don't think I want to be a Decker or Magic User.

Face/Rigger and Intelligence Gatherer/Street Samurai(cybernetic close combat) are the most attractive combinations to me.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Wanting to go through places where there's no hole at all. I'm imagining burrowing up from below, bypassing external security with extensive use of Shape Earth (and Concrete and Plascrete and whatever). It's a good suggestion all the same -- I don't need to make a dwarf-sized hole if I have Shapechange. Depending on circumstances an ordinary drill might do the trick. A mouse or garter snake can fit through a very small hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Maybe some Elemental Manipulations that create Acid?
    Thermite is relatively quiet as I understand it.
    Only upon seeing these suggestions did I stop to think about what can be done safely in a small tunnel. 800-degree heat and fumes from chemical reactions are probably things to avoid (though there IS that fireman's armor ...). I've played too much D&D, where stuff doesn't have to follow physical laws in the slightest. Gonna have to give this more thought.

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

4E: Counterspelling doesn't seem to involve a skill roll when used as a defense, only when you're trying to dispel. If you were GMing, would you apply skill specializations, e.g. better at countering Combat spells? What about the penalties for Aspected Magician quality from Street Magic?

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    4E: Counterspelling doesn't seem to involve a skill roll when used as a defense, only when you're trying to dispel. If you were GMing, would you apply skill specializations, e.g. better at countering Combat spells? What about the penalties for Aspected Magician quality from Street Magic?
    I'd rule that specializations add more dice and I don't see any text in the Aspected Magician quality indicating penalties to the Counterspelling skill so no penalties there. I have yet to see a player with a dedicated Counterspelling regime and counters for such in theory are pretty easy (bullets aren't counterspelled, nor are grenades.)

I also envision it as a generic skill coming from ones connection to Magic, regardless of Aspect. One can Counterspell without awareness so it must be an intuitive sense or state of mind one can improve, rather than requiring active resistance.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
    I don't see any text in the Aspected Magician quality indicating penalties to the Counterspelling skill ...
    It's not specifically called out like Enchanting or Assensing, but it's part of the Sorcery skill group.

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gurifu View Post

Face/Rigger and Intelligence Gatherer/Street Samurai(cybernetic close combat) are the most attractive combinations to me.
    First a disclaimer: I only know 5th Ed. from what I've read on the forums. 2nd is the Edition I'm most familiar with. Someone with more familiarity with 5E will probably give you better information.

For the Face/Rigger build, you're going to want lots of points in Negotiation, the various Etiquette skills, and the basic Pilot Vehicle skills (Car, Truck, Rotocraft, Lighter-than-Air, and possibly boat and fixed-wing aircraft). You're also going to want basic armed combat (and possibly focusing or specializing in the Stun Baton), and a decent skill in all the general types of firearms and heavy weapons. You never know what type of weapon you're going to want to mount on a vehicle/drone.

Cyberware-wise you're going to need a Vehicle Control Rig, and you'll probably want Tailored Pheromones to assist your social skills. You'll want a Smart-Link, as well.

Drones: You'll probably want a good surveillance drone (I always liked the Condor LTA drones), and a couple of combat drones, one flying (Rotodrone), one ground-based (Doberman, Steel Lynx).

I'd also recommend both a lethal and non-lethal weapon on each combat drone. Try to avoid killing anyone unless you're getting paid for it.

Also, you'll want either a good Mechanic as a contact, or some Build/Repair skills and a vehicle shop to fix up your drones when they get damaged. A decent-sized step-van to use as a mobile base of operations is a good idea. Satellite uplink for the decker, drone rack, weapons rack, first aid kit, some vehicle armor, and a method of quickly changing the exterior appearance (a Castle episode had a white van covered with an easily removable black skin).

For the Street Samurai, I'd recommend a mix of lethal and non-lethal weapons, and at least some type of ranged weapon. Probably a skill in thrown weapons also (grenades, throwing knives, etc). You'll still want a couple of Etiquette skills (Street and possibly High or Military) at a decent level, too. In 2E, specializing in a weapon was only good if you were only ever going to use that weapon. If you had two different weapons (say Combat Axe and Stun Baton), for the same Karma cost as specializing in both weaopns, you could instead be equally proficient in all armed combat. But specialize in your unarmed combat style if your GM allows it. Melee weapons with a reach bonus were critical in 2E (combat axe was +2 reach, Stun Baton was +1, and Shock Gloves were -1, but usable with unarmed combat styles)

In 2E, Cyberware and Bioware took up different resources (Essence and Body), so you could combine a high level of Wired Reflexes with bioware like Muscle Augmentation and a Trauma Damper (best bioware ever!) Not sure if that's still the case in 5E. Anything to boost your initiative is also good. In 2E, this was anything that increased Quickness and Intelligence. Those attributes plus Willpower affected your Combat Pool. Smart Link is still probably worthwhile.

For either character, invest in an identity-concealing mask, a white-noise generator, a bug scanner, and an encrypted cell phone/radio transceiver. Voice mask optional. Also get some goggles with IR/ultrasound/flare compensation options (I think elves get natural low-light vision, better than the mechanical stuff in your goggles). They'll be somewhat expensive, but being able to see in any condition is well worth it!

Good luck!

16. - Top - End - #196

GnomePirate

I picked up the 5e rule book. Holy crap what a fething mess of a numbers game. I had forgotten how complicated the game was. It made my head hurt just reading the combat examples. I thought the new Star Wars and its silly dice was bad. I might have to go back to first or second edition. I at least could run those fairly easily.

17. - Top - End - #197

It's not specifically called out like Enchanting or Assensing, but it's part of the Sorcery skill group.
    Nice catch. In that case I'd give penalties (where Sorcery gets them) yes.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

If you want to make a character in 5e get Chummer5. It makes creating a character pretty simple. I even make characters just for fun with it.

^2

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gurifu View Post

An additional note: if you can take the Good Reputation edge, it will pay for itself many times over in easier social tests, which (in 2E anyway) covers everything from Negotiation (more money per job, chummer?) to legwork information checks.

20. - Top - End - #200

WhiteWizardGirl

Not a question exactly, but a cool run idea.

A Johnson for a bio-technolgy research division contacts the PC's with a simple job. He's gotten wind that a rival research division has made a breakthrough. He needs the PC's to infiltrate the lab and grab the test animals. The PC's receive minimal resistance, and grab the animals easily. The Johnson calls them to his office. however, when the PC's enter the facility, any anti-spirit wards go off, and the PC's have to make a bolt for it. As it turns out, the Johnson was an agent for the research lab the PC's raided, and the run was just a setup to get spirits using the test mice/rabbits/etc as hosts through the wards.

What do you think of this idea for a run?
    Last edited by Evoker; 2017-09-25 at 12:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

I'm coming from 5e where I want to bring my Surge 3 cat lady Mysad College Professor into 4th and I am just looking to know if there are significant differences over SURGE in 4e vs 5
    Speaking as a necromancer, I just don't get why people can't leave a guy to raise a family in peace.

And they get all offended when I take some commonly-given advice and go out to make new friends.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I've ordered a hard copy. I'll try to remember to give a review here once I've taken a look.
    Did you get a chance to look it over yet? Any comments if so?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Evoker View Post
    Not a question exactly, but a cool run idea.

A Johnson for a bio-technolgy research division contacts the PC's with a simple job. He's gotten wind that a rival research division has made a breakthrough. He needs the PC's to infiltrate the lab and grab the test animals. The PC's receive minimal resistance, and grab the animals easily. The Johnson calls them to his office. however, when the PC's enter the facility, any anti-spirit wards go off, and the PC's have to make a bolt for it. As it turns out, the Johnson was an agent for the research lab the PC's raided, and the run was just a setup to get spirits using the test mice/rabbits/etc as hosts through the wards.

What do you think of this idea for a run?
    Threats 2 has some guard dogs inhabited by insect spirits.
    Suffice to say the level of hillarity is always improved by killer bunnies tearing out throats left and right.
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Curious, what sort of events could lead up to a World War Three scenario in the Shadowrun universe? Personally I'm imagining the flashpoint to be between the NAN and the UCAS.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Curious, what sort of events could lead up to a World War Three scenario in the Shadowrun universe? Personally I'm imagining the flashpoint to be between the NAN and the UCAS.
    I'm only up to 4th ED on Shadowrun background so if any of this has been re-written, sorry

Well its arguable Shadowrun has already had a Third World War with the Euro Wars before the mysterious force *Cough Britain Cough* stopped them. And a fourth with the Jihad

For what could cause the Fifth World War I'd put my money on Imperial Japan. They may have lost the territory they once conquered in the wake of the Ring of Fire but I'd bet there are large sections of their military just itching for a chance to reclaim them
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Active Skills and Enhanced Articulation Bioware:

In Shadowtech (1E-2E), the Enhanced Articulation bioware lets you "roll an additional die when making any Success Test involving an Active Skill."

The 1E and 2E rulebooks have five broad categories of skills: "Active, Build & Repair, Knowledge, Languages, and Special Skills." Under the umbrella of Active Skills appears to be the following subgroups:
    Combat Skills
    Physical Skills
    Technical Skills
    Magical Skills
    Social Skills
    Vehicle Skills

So does that mean that Enhanced articulation makes you better at Negotiation (a Social skill)? But doesn't help with reaching that hard-to-reach bolt when Build/Repairing a car engine?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I think it would have to be something that threatened corporate interests sufficiently to make them throw in on opposing sides. The world-as-presented has a fair degree of conflict, but there's also the undercurrent (IMO) that the megacorps keep anything from getting too out of hand... polarization doesn't drive profits like balkanization does.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by caden_varn View Post
    Did you get a chance to look it over yet? Any comments if so?
    Sadly, no, it's still looking at me mournfully from the bedside stand, puppydog eyes on full blast. I read the first few pages and found the flavor satisfying ... something I find good in SR4 but lacking in SR4A. That's all I've got so far. Thanks for asking.

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Active Skills and Enhanced Articulation Bioware:

In Shadowtech (1E-2E), the Enhanced Articulation bioware lets you "roll an additional die when making any Success Test involving an Active Skill."

The 1E and 2E rulebooks have five broad categories of skills: "Active, Build & Repair, Knowledge, Languages, and Special Skills." Under the umbrella of Active Skills appears to be the following subgroups:
    Combat Skills
    Physical Skills
    Technical Skills
    Magical Skills
    Social Skills
    Vehicle Skills

So does that mean that Enhanced articulation makes you better at Negotiation (a Social skill)? But doesn't help with reaching that hard-to-reach bolt when Build/Repairing a car engine?
    Reading it exactly as written I'd say yes a literal reading of it say's exactly that.
    However Enhanced Articulation also says it applies to 'motion intensive skills' which leaves out Social Skills and Technical, Magical and arguably Vehicle skills too.
    As I remember we only applied it to Combat and Physical skills ( and motor bikes thanks to some persuasive arguing by the Phys. Ad. biker)
    This seems a time when a sensible interpretation of things on a case-by-case basis would be better than just sticking to RAW

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Reading it exactly as written I'd say yes a literal reading of it say's exactly that.
    However Enhanced Articulation also says it applies to 'motion intensive skills' which leaves out Social Skills and Technical, Magical and arguably Vehicle skills too.
    As I remember we only applied it to Combat and Physical skills ( and motor bikes thanks to some persuasive arguing by the Phys. Ad. biker)
    This seems a time when a sensible interpretation of things on a case-by-case basis would be better than just sticking to RAW
    Yeah, I figured I'd apply it to Combat skills, Physical Skills, B/R skills, and selected Special Skills (wood carving, pottery, underwater basket weaving, etc.)