New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

[Any Edition]
    Are there stats for typical DocWagon HTR teams anywhere? SRT and CRT would be nice too. Knowing their typical equipment and tactics would help too.

[5e]
    Where can I find rules for breaching locks? I want to do this with a shotgun if possible, possibly an underbarrel one.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    [Any Edition]
    Are there stats for typical DocWagon HTR teams anywhere? SRT and CRT would be nice too. Knowing their typical equipment and tactics would help too.
    The 'Neoanarchists Guide to Real Life' provides information on DocWagon services, and prices, on p44-47 and stats for the various different teams and the vehicles they use on p95-101

Posted by Lord Torath
    My Brain is refusing to help here. Where are the costs (1E/2E) for converting a standard weapon for use on a vehicle hard/firmpoint found?

I've been all over the Rigger Black Book, and I haven't been able to find it in the 2E Rulebook, either.

Thanks in advance!
    I'm not sure there are any costs. I think the Firmpoint/Hardpoint are designed to take weapons and allow them to be used on a vehicle. I think it just takes time and equipment as laid out in the 'Rigger Black Book'
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2017-11-10 at 03:00 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Any Edition]
    Missions has some details on DocWagon.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Spamalot in the Playground

Shadowrun 4th Anniversary Edition--

Last session we played (four days ago), there was a bit of a debate on when the skills Computer and Data Search come into play. Computers can be found in just about everything, and unless you've lived under a rock your whole life, pretty much everyone in 2070 should be familiar with what they are and can do. The debate came up when the party street sam wanted to do a "Google Search" for a security company's physical address in Seattle. It's public knowledge--the company's office invites potential customers to come view product demonstrations for potential sale (we're talking residential level equipment). When I say "public site", I mean nodes on the matrix open for anyone to access and browse.

It should be trivial enough to be an automatic find, right? But the GM wants to call for a roll on it. So then comes the debate: Computer or Data Search?

The street sam says Computer. She's just using her commlink to pull up a browser and type in the company name into the search bar. It's not an intensive search because the info is made public and should be easy to get (we have the company's name and phone number). The GM says Data Search because you're trying to locate a piece of info you don't have, regardless of clues. The street sam pushes back. Data Search is for deeper research on a topic; locating information that is obscure or not generally found on public sites. Computer is for every day common tasks, and in 2070 that would include browsing public sites. If the skill needed is Data Search, then when would Computer be used?

I was on the side that said this specific search should be trivial, but the question of when the skills come up is hotly debated STILL in the group. Curious on your thoughts/experience on when these skills come up.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Never played 4th Edition, but I would consider Data Search a concentration of Computer. But that's coming from a 2E perspective.

The text of Data Search (p127) explicitly mentions using search engines and such.

p227 says: The Data Search skill represents a character’s ability to sift through large amounts of data with the aid of search programs. The smarter the search parameters going into a search, the better the information one gets on the other side. It is used with the Data Search action, but may be used with multiple programs, depending on what information is being explored.

I'd let the Computer skill work for such a simple websearch. There are no "large amounts of data" to sift through. This is as simple as looking through the White Pages business section (anyone remember those?). I would not even require a skill check. The company wants people to be able to find it.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-11-15 at 10:08 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #276
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I'd tend to agree with Lord Torath... For something on that level (going to renraku.com and looking for the address in Seattle), I think Computer is more than adequate. I'd let someone use Data Search if they like, and possibly give them more information, but that's just basic computing, IMO.

RAW, though, you use Data Search + Browse; that's how the skill is written. My System, you'd use Data Search + Logic, with a maximum number of hits equal to your Browse.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

I too would just give automatic success for anyone without the Computer Illiterate negative quality. But if I had to choose one skill, Data Search would be it. Computer is about leveraging or working with the hardware. (Oddly, not Hardware, which refers to things with non-computer parts.) Data Search is the skill that lets you know not to select the first three links because they'll all be ads, and to look for the site map rather than "Contact Us" because that'll try to open a message window instead of just giving you the #$&%@#& address. Not that I'm bitter about RL searches for company info, or anything.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    This is as simple as looking through the White Pages business section (anyone remember those?).
    I remember those. I don't miss them. :3

Okay, so Data Search seems like the right skill. Alright, well I'll let the Street Sam's player know based on these arguments. She'll probably be allowed to respec that skill since her intent was a skill that lets her do searches. We didn't play last Saturday due to the GM not able to make it, so it gives us time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    RAW, though, you use Data Search + Browse; that's how the skill is written. My System, you'd use Data Search + Logic, with a maximum number of hits equal to your Browse.
    I've mentioned your system to my local group. No one dislikes the idea, so if I get handed the reins to run SR, I'm going to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Not that I'm bitter about RL searches for company info, or anything.
    I know your pain, chummer. I've done many a search for company info, and then had to dig deeper for things like DUNs numbers and SoIs so... my Data Search skill gets tested many times.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    The 'Neoanarchists Guide to Real Life' provides information on DocWagon services, and prices, on p44-47 and stats for the various different teams and the vehicles they use on p95-101
    '
    Just wanted to say thanks! Since I got the book, I've been finding some really juicy lore in 2nd edition which basically doesn't exist in 5e. It's a great resource for how the setting is meant to function.

10. - Top - End - #280

For the system problems, 1e and 2e REALLY had the best lore material. Reading their sourcebooks was a joy.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    For the system problems, 1e and 2e REALLY had the best lore material. Reading their sourcebooks was a joy.
    Provided you had superglue, sticky tape, and a stapler to keep the spines from disintegrating.
    (A tradition which is still upheld in 5th ed, but not quite to the same degree. Darned kids nowadays, no respekt fer tradishun.)

I liked 2nd-3rd ed. best. It was when the lore really took off, and the divorce from Gibsonianism became complete.
    I still remember when Arcology Shutdown was playtested on the old shadowland.org. The lore Dave Hyatt presented leading up to that was fricking awesome.
    Or the first time reading Hatchetman's zombie monologue in Cybertechnology. Ahh, good times...
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by Misereor View Post
    Provided you had superglue, sticky tape, and a stapler to keep the spines from disintegrating.
    (A tradition which is still upheld in 5th ed, but not quite to the same degree. Darned kids nowadays, no respekt fer tradishun.)

I liked 2nd-3rd ed. best. It was when the lore really took off, and the divorce from Gibsonianism became complete.
    I still remember when Arcology Shutdown was playtested on the old shadowland.org. The lore Dave Hyatt presented leading up to that was fricking awesome.
    Or the first time reading Hatchetman's zombie monologue in Cybertechnology. Ahh, good times...
    I never had that problem with the spines, so can't comment. But the 1st edition lore books? Man, Paranormal Animals of North America. I still use a nickname I stole from that (slightly modified) around the net, and have used it for 20+ years as an internet handle.
    The Cranky Gamer

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Virtual Realities 2.0. Regarding the Hacking Pool, the book (VR2.0) says the Math SPU contributes half its rating to the Decker's intelligence for decking purposes. But the decker's Intelligence is divided by three before being added to the hacking pool. Which means the Math SPU 4 adds a whopping 2/3 of a die to the hacking pool. Yet they say the Math SPU offers a "substantial bonus to the decker's hacking pool." (p19)

Did they just not do the math on that? Or did they not say what they thought they said when they wrote the rule?
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

14. - Top - End - #284

MindFlayer

I think your maths is right, and the description is just a little misleading. The 3rd Ed version adds Math CPU raing directly to Hacking Pool, if I remember rihht.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Firbolg in the Playground

Putting finishing touches on a 5e character for the first time. Anyone have experience playing a Technomancer, or advice on contact selection and secondary or knowledge skills to pick up?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Putting finishing touches on a 5e character for the first time. Anyone have experience playing a Technomancer, or advice on contact selection and secondary or knowledge skills to pick up?
    I have no clue about technomancer specifics, but after you have secondary roles staked out, I think every PC can benefit from Con, Sneaking, and Etiquette. They're generally useful and can help your character kludge his way through everyday life and other non-violent situations.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2017-12-01 at 02:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A question, for those better versed than I: is there any way mentioned in any of the 5th edition books to start the game as a mundane, and Awaken later?
    Paying the cost to start out Awakened and pretending it hasn't happened yet seems like it'll be overly weak and make me a bit of a liability to the group.
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.

18. - Top - End - #288

RedWizardGuy

I have no clue about technomancer specifics, but after you have secondary roles staked out, I think every PC can benefit from Con, Sneaking, and Etiquette. They're generally useful and can help your character kludge his way through everyday life and other non-violent situations.
    And something in the Athletics oeuvre. A shadowrunner who can't climb over a chain-link fence doesn't have a long life.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    And something in the Athletics oeuvre. A shadowrunner who can't climb over a chain-link fence doesn't have a long life.
    Words of wisdom. In a game set in England we came with in a hair of having our geeky and unatheletic mage eaten by guard dogs because he had trouble climbing over a wall
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daremonai View Post
    A question, for those better versed than I: is there any way mentioned in any of the 5th edition books to start the game as a mundane, and Awaken later?
    Paying the cost to start out Awakened and pretending it hasn't happened yet seems like it'll be overly weak and make me a bit of a liability to the group.
    For that situation, you can choose to be effective1 now or later. Most of the ways to be "effective" require either magic or cyber/bioware, which are generally incompatible with each other. Every bit of 'ware decreases your effectiveness in using magic. So if you want to "develop" your magic later in the game, any cyberware you already have will hamper your new magic powers. You'll need to start out mundane, and stay mundane until your "awakening" occurs. And, yes, you'll need to pay for your magic at character creation. Unless you work out something different with your GM.

1 For a given definition of "effective", of course. If you can find meaningful ways to contribute without cyberware or magic (maybe you have LOTS of contacts - a "guy" for everything, including a "guy" guy) you may be able to pull this off.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

For that situation, you can choose to be effective1 now or later. Most of the ways to be "effective" require either magic or cyber/bioware, which are generally incompatible with each other. Every bit of 'ware decreases your effectiveness in using magic. So if you want to "develop" your magic later in the game, any cyberware you already have will hamper your new magic powers. You'll need to start out mundane, and stay mundane until your "awakening" occurs. And, yes, you'll need to pay for your magic at character creation. Unless you work out something different with your GM.

1 For a given definition of "effective", of course. If you can find meaningful ways to contribute without cyberware or magic (maybe you have LOTS of contacts - a "guy" for everything, including a "guy" guy) you may be able to pull this off.
    I thought it might be something like that, but was hoping that the option was there because I think I remember seeing something like it in 4th ed.
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

So I'm putting together a 2E Troll PhysAd Bodyguard, and I've got 60,000¥ left to spend. Puma's already got several sets of armor, a good selection of weapons (ranged and melee), an ascent/descent climbing rig and a grapple gun with plenty of stealth line, a range of clothing, six contacts, and a modified Viking bike (run-flat tires, improved handling, and upgraded armor). She doesn't do guns, but has a Ranger-X compound bow and dikoted arrows, a handful of throwing knives and concussion grenades, a cell phone, microcamcorder and microtransceiver, some home electronics.

I could buy a car, but she really doesn't need one (plus, she's Incompetent at driving a car). Should I just stock up on Gold, and sell it to the Mage later?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-12-05 at 09:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Do you have a decent Fake ID ? Cause if not, get one

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Where are the rules for Fake IDs? I didn't see much in the main Rulebook.

A Doc Wagon contract would probably come in handy for a bodyguard, don't ya think?

25. - Top - End - #295

MindFlayer

Where are the rules for Fake IDs? I didn't see much in the main Rulebook.

A Doc Wagon contract would probably come in handy for a bodyguard, don't ya think?
    Fake SINS are near the credstick rules in 3E, might be the same in 2E.

Doc Wagon contract... depends on your GM. Mine all think it's a terrible idea for a runner; all those medical samples are a material link, attached to what might be your real name.

Medkits! Or one really good one and refills for it.

How many Lifestyles do you have?

Maybe upgrade a Contact to a Buddy?

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Currently living the High life. I suppose I could just pay another half-year's rent...

Part of a mid-resources magic group (local Dojo), so pay around 500-1000 per month in dues.

I'm not seeing any credstick rules in the 2E Rulebook, or in the 2E Shadowrun Companion...

27. - Top - End - #297

MindFlayer

A runner needs two Lifestyles, in my opinion. A real one and a cover. Get a Low lifestyle as a burner, a place you can take other runners to when planning. When/if it gets burned, walk
    away and get another.

Same with phones and pocket secs. Have a real one for trusted contacts, and a burner for "these guys I just met".

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not seeing any credstick rules in the 2E Rulebook, or in the 2E Shadowrun Companion...
    Me neither nor can I find them in the 'Neoanarchist Guide to Real Life'. There are rules in 3rd ED, as JustIgnoreMe said, p 239

29. - Top - End - #299

Quote Originally Posted by JustIgnoreMe View Post
    A runner needs two Lifestyles, in my opinion. A real one and a cover. Get a Low lifestyle as a burner, a place you can take other runners to when planning. When/if it gets burned, walk away and get another.
    The street sam on our last team has partial amnesia (can't remember her past). After some sleuthing we found where she was last living--a posh condo in a really nice neighborhood. Funny thing is that we've been doing all our legwork planning at that place because it's roomy and well secured... but we don't know if it's a burner safe-house or her real pad. We are terrible with managing risk. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

If you were the (2E) GM, how many times would you require an Adept to take Improved Physical Senses to have the same effect as a Rating III Scope (dropping the target number by three range increments, from Extreme to Short)? And how would such vision compare to a pair of 50x magnification binoculars?

I don't believe the rules specify how the various scope ratings compare to Binoculars (50x) or Goggles (20x).