New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

No. Those are computer actions you can take.

They assume that you have all kinds of programs running.

The ones that take up "slots" are ones that give you a significant numerical bonus.
    "I'm back baby!"
    - B.B.R.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone ever run/play through the Bottled Demon adventure? What were your thoughts on it? Did you encounter the Children of Sophocles? How did they intercept the party?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Anyone ever run/play through the Bottled Demon adventure? What were your thoughts on it? Did you encounter the Children of Sophocles? How did they intercept the party?
    That's going back a bit. I have played it but it was ages ago. All I remember is bits. I remember a fight in a junkyard that was great fun and involved toppling piles of junked cars all over the place and somebody summoning a huge Junkyard spirit that looked like a rusty Golem made up of destroyed cars.
    I think we encountered the Children and minced them because they didn't have a reaction spell lock between them.
    I do remember the G.M. being slightly annoyed when we killed Blackwing (particularly when he's meant to show up in a later adventure)
    I remember it being a slight if fun adventure but written by someone who didn't really get how NPC's in Shadowrun need a reaction boost of some sort to not be cannon fodder for the average PC.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    That's going back a bit. I have played it but it was ages ago.
    What can I say? I like the oldies! I prefer 2E with VR 2.0, but not Rigger 2.

All I remember is bits. I remember a fight in a junkyard that was great fun and involved toppling piles of junked cars all over the place and somebody summoning a huge Junkyard spirit that looked like a rusty Golem made up of destroyed cars.
    I think we encountered the Children and minced them because they didn't have a reaction spell lock between them.
    I do remember the G.M. being slightly annoyed when we killed Blackwing (particularly when he's meant to show up in a later adventure)
    I remember it being a slight if fun adventure but written by someone who didn't really get how NPC's in Shadowrun need a reaction boost of some sort to not be cannon fodder for the average PC.
    That's a common problem with those published adventures, and Threat Ratings don't affect initiative. Back in the day when I ran through it as a player, we didn't have a shaman, just a mage. Who never seemed to go astral. I had a Rigger who put three-quarters of a million nuyen into her car, but didn't have any really useful drones. We didn't really know how to build runners very well....
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

What can I say? I like the oldies! I prefer 2E with VR 2.0, but not Rigger 2.

That's a common problem with those published adventures, and Threat Ratings don't affect initiative. Back in the day when I ran through it as a player, we didn't have a shaman, just a mage. Who never seemed to go astral. I had a Rigger who put three-quarters of a million nuyen into her car, but didn't have any really useful drones. We didn't really know how to build runners very well....
    Hey I actually played the Private Investigator archetype in a game (no cyberare, no magic)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmm. Would it be a terrible gimmick to have a hacker who plays missile command and has drone trucks rigged up to launch long range smart missiles out in the barrens?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Hmmm. Would it be a terrible gimmick to have a hacker who plays missile command and has drone trucks rigged up to launch long range smart missiles out in the barrens?
    Probably.... but you should do it anyways!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

No, but that's the kind of thing that draws immediate, official, attention.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

So, this is perhaps an odd question, but while I have a fairly strong grasp of what other concepts do.... I have a fairly shaky idea of what a hacker should be doing?

I get hacking into enemy nodes and the like but I feel like there should be more to it? I dunno.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Have you ever seen Sneakers? Whisper is the Decker/Hacker. The Italian Job? Lyle is the Decker

A Decker can infiltrate computer systems to steal data, override elevator controls, control traffic lights, spoof security cameras, plant false data, control HVAC/lighting, and kick other deckers off the Matrix.

11. - Top - End - #371

It also somewhat depends on edition.

In 1e-3e, the Decker was, for the most part, baggage. You got them into the place to do their thing. They would then help with security and such while they did their thing. You would get them out.

4e, the Hacker became a lot more active. There were lots of things with wireless functionality that you could hack out in the world... someone's wireless smartgun? Turn it off, eject the magazine, switch the FOF indicators, whatever. You could more or less talk a door open with your commlink. They became a lot more active in the game.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

So, first time making a Technomancer. Or really, a character that interacts much with the Matrix at all outside of making use of it to detonate bombs.

So what Complex Forms/ Programs are the absolute must haves?
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, first time making a Technomancer. Or really, a character that interacts much with the Matrix at all outside of making use of it to detonate bombs.

So what Complex Forms/ Programs are the absolute must haves?
    First question: What system?
    Second question: How well does your GM know the Matrix rules?
    Third question: How creative are you as a player?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Fourth question: power level of the party?
    And fifth, if it's a 4th-ed game, is the GM using Unwired or not?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    First question: What system?
    Second question: How well does your GM know the Matrix rules?
    Third question: How creative are you as a player?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Fourth question: power level of the party?
    And fifth, if it's a 4th-ed game, is the GM using Unwired or not?
    1.) 4th Anniversary.

2.) Fairly Well I believe.

3.) Not sure what you mean by this one.

4.) High power. Very High Power.

5.) Unwired is in play.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

4.) High power. Very High Power.
    Ah. Well, I can't tell you a whole lot, then. That game's in a whole other category from what I'm used to. I do suggest that tacsoft be on the list, though. An easy +4 to almost every important skill for every member of the team ... kinda handy.

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #377
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The guy who played a techno in my game swore by sprites.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

2E Question: When attacking a critter with the Hardened Armor power (treat armor as a barrier and treat body as ballistic/impact armor), do you degrade the Hardened Armor as you would a barrier? Think Str 10 MMG vs Bod/Armor 15/8 Western Dragon. The barrier rating is doubled vs firearms when considering damage to the barrier, so you'd compare the Strength-10 MMG vs a barrier rating of 16. The MMG is over half the barrier rating, so that would lower the barrier's value to 7 for future attacks. Or vs a Strength 10 combat axe, you'd again reduce the barrier rating to 7.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

2E Question: When attacking a critter with the Hardened Armor power (treat armor as a barrier and treat body as ballistic/impact armor), do you degrade the Hardened Armor as you would a barrier? Think Str 10 MMG vs Bod/Armor 15/8 Western Dragon. The barrier rating is doubled vs firearms when considering damage to the barrier, so you'd compare the Strength-10 MMG vs a barrier rating of 16. The MMG is over half the barrier rating, so that would lower the barrier's value to 7 for future attacks. Or vs a Strength 10 combat axe, you'd again reduce the barrier rating to 7.
    Off the top of my head I'd say as its a Paranatural power then it wouldn't degrade like a barrier.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

Off the top of my head I'd say as its a Paranatural power then it wouldn't degrade like a barrier.
    Would you say Vehicle armor would degrade? Or does the Damage to Barriers rule really only apply to actual barriers?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2018-04-05 at 11:41 AM.

21. - Top - End - #381

I would degrade vehicle armor, but not natural armor. Vehicle armor, obviously, can be repaired, but natural armor is repaired as the underlying creature is healed.
    The Cranky Gamer

22. - Top - End - #382
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I've been playing with the idea of a character who was trainee military/spec-ops for a corp, but decided to cut & run after the rest of his squad were burned as part of a powerplay by superiors, but....

Where would that leave him SIN-wise? Presumably he'd have had a full corp SIN while he was still serving, but now he's "dead" and/or AWOL does that still count, or is he effectively just SINless?
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daremonai View Post
    I've been playing with the idea of a character who was trainee military/spec-ops for a corp, but decided to cut & run after the rest of his squad were burned as part of a powerplay by superiors, but....

Where would that leave him SIN-wise? Presumably he'd have had a full corp SIN while he was still serving, but now he's "dead" and/or AWOL does that still count, or is he effectively just SINless?
    Effectively SINless, yes, because if he were to use that SIN he could get in a lot of trouble fast. But in some nations/corps he could apply for a SIN as if he never had one before. So if you don't want him to be (practically) SINless, he doesn't have to be.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #384

No he wouldn't be SINless, there'd still be a corporate SIN with his data, if the corp knows he's not dead they may well be more or less actively looking for him.

That's why hiring someone to erase/change that data would be a wise move for such a character, once your SIN is marked as dead and its biometrics don't match yours, there's no way to connect you to it.

25. - Top - End - #385

MindFlayer

If he was burned, the suit who burned him might well have erased his SIN to clean up (or make life harder for him). She'd have kept all the relevant details to brief her own kill-teams, or her contacts in the Star, or her pet decker.

26. - Top - End - #386

Quote Originally Posted by JustIgnoreMe View Post
    If he was burned, the suit who burned him might well have erased his SIN to clean up (or make life harder for him). She'd have kept all the relevant details to brief her own kill-teams, or her contacts in the Star, or her pet decker.
    Um erasing that SIN would make life significantly easier for the character, not harder. Still might do it to clean up something they don't want to come out, but definitely not that. If you just want him found, you flag him as a criminal which would make it massively easier for him to be spotted in a random check.

Simple example: His fingerprints show up at a crime scene, if he has a criminal SIN it's quite possible a search for those fingerprints triggers an alert and immediately, corp security knows "Oh, this guy we're looking for showed up!". If his SIN is erased, nothing happens unless that one specific cop you leaked his information to is in a position to look at the case, and no decker can monitor every security force in the world.

27. - Top - End - #387

MindFlayer

I don't think being SINless is easier than having a corporate SIN, and erasing a corporate SIN from your own corp's database is easier than faking a criminal SIN. Also, if the suit erases the corporate SIN, there's less proof that the patsy ever worked for the corp.

While having no SIN makes life easier for a professional criminal, it makes life hell for Joe Shmoe who's lived his entire life in the light, working for his corp. The character being described has never had to run the shadows, has no support network, no shadow contacts, probably very little certified cred (all their money would be corporate scrip, now revoked and worthless).

28. - Top - End - #388

Quote Originally Posted by Daremonai View Post

As a GM I'd be flexible, as long as you fit it with your background story and mechanics. SINless would probably have to be accompanied with a lower amount of corp related contacts/leftover gear, or take the SINner penalty and use it to have better connections and/or gear, with the downside of being in a corp database, hope he worked for a low-profile security corp and not a mega!

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by JustIgnoreMe View Post
    I don't think being SINless is easier than having a corporate SIN
    If said corporation is looking for you, yes, not having a SIN in their database makes life much easier for you.

While having no SIN makes life easier for a professional criminal, it makes life hell for Joe Shmoe who's lived his entire life in the light, working for his corp. The character being described has never had to run the shadows, has no support network, no shadow contacts, probably very little certified cred (all their money would be corporate scrip, now revoked and worthless).
    How is any of this relevant to his situation? He cannot actively use that corporate SIN anyway, because otherwise the corp would immediately be alerted to his presence, so it does absolutely nothing to make his life easier, it only helps the corp to make it easier to track him down.
    Last edited by Delta; 2018-04-14 at 05:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
    hope he worked for a low-profile security corp and not a mega!
    Low profile security corps don't usually have military/spec-ops operatives. If you're not at least AA and extraterritorial (and therefore a mega), you don't have that kind of firepower (or if you had, you couldn't realistically use it)