New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Also a way to become target priority number one.
    Sufficient explosives means you don't need to worry about targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Is there any guidance for how long it takes to manufacture different types of ammo? I know there are gun design rules, which presumably include fabrication times. Anything for ammo?
    Not that I know of; I also know you're usually a 2e guy, but it might come up in later editions.

Personally, with a facility? I'd say 1-3 days to check any specs you have, then you can pretty easily run out a few thousand rounds in a day.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Not that I know of; I also know you're usually a 2e guy, but it might come up in later editions.

Personally, with a facility? I'd say 1-3 days to check any specs you have, then you can pretty easily run out a few thousand rounds in a day.
    Looking at 3E Arsenal, you get ten rounds in the base availability time. So it takes 24 hours (I'd change this to 10 hours, or one day of labor) to get 10 rounds. Of standard ammo. Yeah, no. I don't mind using the availability number as the target number for making the ammo, but 10 rounds a day is pretty ridiculous. Maybe if you're just using an ammo kit. An ammunition shop should permit at least 100 a day.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Cost: half list-price
    Target Number: Availability Target. -1 for Shop. -2 for Facility
    Set-up time: 1 day of work per day of availability. This means it will take 2 weeks to set up for APDS ammo.

If you fail your test, the first day's batch will be ruined. This includes the cost of materials, plus cleaning your fouled equipment. Spend half the base set-up time to re-calibrate. If you botch (half or more dice are 1s) you don't know there's a problem until you're in the middle of a run. Or at the range.
    Once you are set up, you can create 20/200/2000 rounds a day of standard ammo (kit/shop/facility). For other ammo, divide the result by the availability in days for the ammo type. That means you can get 1333 explosive or flechette rounds per 10-hour work day, or 1000 stun/gel rounds, or 666 assault cannon rounds, or 142 APDS rounds per day.

Once you are set up for a type of ammo, you can pump out ammo for the cost of materials without further tests until you re-tool for a different type of ammo or equipment.

That strikes me as pretty reasonable. Still need to work out missiles & grenades, though. Probably shouldn't take as long to set up a kit as it does for a facility or shop, though. Maybe 1/10 x Availability for kit and 1/2 x availability for the shop.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-09-17 at 02:46 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Also a way to become target priority number one.

As posited by our local androgynous elf wizard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post

As posited by our local androgynous elf wizard.
    Note the asymptotic relationship—there will always be problems that explosions can't solve short of an infinitely powerful explosion.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

5. - Top - End - #785
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Note the asymptotic relationship—there will always be problems that explosions can't solve short of an infinitely powerful explosion.
    Well, once you have a sufficiently big bang, all the problems in your universe cease to be. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

Can Detection spells work through solid objects? Can Detect Enemies, for example, detect enemies on the other side of a windowless door or wall?

Edit:
    Found it. In 2E anyway (SRII Rulebook p152), you add the barrier rating of the obstruction to the target number to see if the target(s) of the spell can be detected.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-09-25 at 11:07 AM.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #787
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Well, once you have a sufficiently big bang, all the problems in your universe cease to be. :3
    Wait didn't the big enough bang created the root to all problems? Was that just a negative over flow?
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    Wait didn't the big enough bang created the root to all problems? Was that just a negative over flow?
    Nah, just a multiplication by -1. Another sufficiently big bang would solve the issue.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

So, apologies if this has come up before, but is it known if there's any major tech/lore advancements for the new edition?

10. - Top - End - #790
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since the new edition starts off pretty much exactly where the old stopped, in 2080, not really.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

So...
    2060-2070 = 3rd ed
    2070-2075 = 4th ed
    2075-2080 = 5th ed
    2080- ??? = 6th ed

Okay, thanks. Guess I should catch up on 2076-2080, then, though. We never got much further than the Boston Quarantine.

12. - Top - End - #792

Yeah there's quite a bit happening after that, monad scientists created some really weird **** for Evo before most of them packed up and left for deep space (but honestly, I'm not sure how much of that you want to actually include in your game, anti-grav grenades, reactionless spaceships and stuff aren't really what Shadowrun should be about for me)

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I am waiting on my pre-order of the core book (UK edition), I don't know yet where that puts the focus for the setting.

I'm sure some of the classic stories could still be adapted for newer players, if it came to that.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ettin in the Playground

Are there any Invisibility spells that work on the astral plane?

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ettin in the Playground

I want to say there was something called Manascaping?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Can insect spirits see in the dark? There's a hive the runners are going to be exploring, and it seems like the bugs would need some source of light.

Actually, I think they are dual-natured, right? Which means they can always see astral space, which is lit by living things, so yes, they can see in the dark. More or less, anyway.

17. - Top - End - #797

Not to my knowledge, though I did some work back in the 3e days about various ways of stealthing in the Astral... things like using other signatures as cover, or masking to hide your signature some. I can't link to it conveniently because I'm at work, though; editors-wastebasket.org/nexx/ MIGHT still get you there.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

It depends on how exactly you interpret the limitations of the Manascape spell, but that's probably the best astral stealth trick you're going to find. It might let you cover up your aura with "background", or it might just let you disguise yourself as something tiny and non-magical. How exactly this would shake out if you're currently sustaining invisibility is a question a GM would have to answer, but then, this is Shadowrun, so that's not unusual.

For what it's worth, I don't consider this especially busted since you're adding an extra sustained spell to your burden and it's only protecting you from very specific things. You're still going to have trouble with drones and cameras (object resistance is a pain), with wards and barriers, with Fluorescing Astral Bacteria and any critter that can sniff you out, and potentially with sonar and vibration detecting stuff.

I'm assuming you're talking about 5e, anyway.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2019-10-03 at 05:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

I typically play 2nd Edition, but I was curious about astral invisibility in any edition.

Thanks for the replies!

20. - Top - End - #800
    Spamalot in the Playground

Can insect spirits see in the dark? There's a hive the runners are going to be exploring, and it seems like the bugs would need some source of light.

Actually, I think they are dual-natured, right? Which means they can always see astral space, which is lit by living things, so yes, they can see in the dark. More or less, anyway.
    I'm pretty sure insect spirits are dual-natured like other spirits. The way I ran them is as you described; they always see astral and thus, all living things, both crunchy and chewy alike. This also helped the party a little by giving the mages a bright beacon to warn them something nasty was lurking nearby. Because when I ran Shadowrun, insect spirits were at minimum, the mini-boss monster of the run.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ettin in the Playground

2E Question: Can I benefit from Smartlink on a gun drone if I don't have a Vehicle Control Rig?

The Street Sammy may inherit some drones. He's got Smartlink installed, and the gun drones have it as well. If he's data-jacked into the Remote Control (like you can data-jack into your car), can he use his smart-link through the drones?

22. - Top - End - #802

2E Question: Can I benefit from Smartlink on a gun drone if I don't have a Vehicle Control Rig?

The Street Sammy may inherit some drones. He's got Smartlink installed, and the gun drones have it as well. If he's data-jacked into the Remote Control (like you can data-jack into your car), can he use his smart-link through the drones?
    My gut is to say no. IIRC, jacking into the Remote Control is "I can tell the remote control what to do with my mind", while a VCR is "I can tell the drone what to do as if it were my body."

Were Vehicle Control DECKS ever a thing? It really seems like an external deck that could do the RAS override would've been a good thing to create.
    The Cranky Gamer

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    My gut is to say no. IIRC, jacking into the Remote Control is "I can tell the remote control what to do with my mind", while a VCR is "I can tell the drone what to do as if it were my body."

Were Vehicle Control DECKS ever a thing? It really seems like an external deck that could do the RAS override would've been a good thing to create.
    Well, Rigger 2 introduced "interference" between datajacks and VCRs. If you had both, they both worked less effectively. Why FASA felt this was necessary, I have no idea. Already a rigger/decker is going to be spreading their resources much thinner than a "single-class" rigger or decker.

Edit to add:

Not sure if I've asked this before, but can an astral wizard "manifest" their astral form in the real world so they can cast spells at non-astral targets while away from their body?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-10-25 at 03:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #804

Not sure if I've asked this before, but can an astral wizard "manifest" their astral form in the real world so they can cast spells at non-astral targets while away from their body?
    Hard no. That was never possible in any edition. Back in the day of SR1/2, a projecting mage could "ground" a spell with a physical component (like Fireball) on anything active in astral space, like a dual natured entity or even just an active focus, and the physical component would manifest at that spot in meatspace, but that idea's been killed over 20 years ago in SR3 since it just wasn't a feasible concept if you even try to think of the consequences for a second.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Troll in the Playground

No to casting spells I believe they can, with some effort, appear enough to speak with people in meat space. Certainly people did it in some of the Shadowrun novels and I'm sure my old group allowed it but that may have been a House Rule. (Currently away from my books so can't check)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    I believe they can, with some effort, appear enough to speak with people in meat space.
    That's true for 4e, at least. "Manifesting", not to be confused with spirits' "Materialization". It's dangerous -- they can get hit with mana effects from physical creatures but can't hit back.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Hard no. That was never possible in any edition. Back in the day of SR1/2, a projecting mage could "ground" a spell with a physical component (like Fireball) on anything active in astral space, like a dual natured entity or even just an active focus, and the physical component would manifest at that spot in meatspace, but that idea's been killed over 20 years ago in SR3 since it just wasn't a feasible concept if you even try to think of the consequences for a second.
    Eh. Not really. Just hard to do. Any Spirit with both Manifestation and the Endowment power could allow a mage to Manifest their Astral form into a physical body just like a spirit. Not to mention you could get the same through a spirit pact.

At least in 4e.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #808

Time for a Crazy Shadowrun Idea! Not even sure if it works anymore!

One I've had kicking around for a while, now (I *think* since the first Grimoire?), is a method of high-speed transport of goods, but one that requires a Free Spirit.

See, Free Spirits have the Astral Gateway power... they can make a gate to the Astral through which mundane people and objects can pass through. Using this, you can put pretty much ANYTHING into the Astral, transport it at Astral speeds to wherever you wanted it, and the open another Astral Gateway and pull it out.
    The Cranky Gamer

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, Mark, but no.

At least in 1E & 2E, the Astral Gateway power allows the Free Spirit to allow anyone, magical or mundane, to astrally project without essence loss. That means their body stays put, but their spirit travels to the astral plane, and possibly to metaplanes beyond the astral. So no physical transportation. Not sure if they changed the Astral Gateway power in later editions, though.

Regarding targeting spells, what does a "voluntary target" mean? For example, the 2E Detect Life spell requires voluntary subjects, and detects all life within range. How does that work? I'm sure the magician doesn't need to shout "I'm casting a spell to detect life! Say "yes" if you're okay with being detected!" Do you assume everyone is voluntary unless they specify otherwise? If so, could you just state "I refuse to accept any spells targeting me that I don;t know about?" In which case, everyone would do it, and Detect Life and similar spells would be completely useless.

Or are they saying you cast the spell on a single voluntary subject, and that subject then gains the ability to detect life. Actually, now that I think about it more, that makes a bit more sense. I keep thinking spells have a range of "Caster" and then the range applies to how far they can detect stuff. Need to get through my head that it doesn't mean that.

New question: Anyone know what a "two-phase laser system" for home defense is? the 2E adventure "One Stage Before" has one in one of the locations, but no where do they define what it is or how it works. Unless I've just missed it, which is certainly possible.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

New question: Anyone know what a "two-phase laser system" for home defense is? the 2E adventure "One Stage Before" has one in one of the locations, but no where do they define what it is or how it works. Unless I've just missed it, which is certainly possible.
    There's no damage code for the system to inflict so I presume they aren't offensive lasers. I'd guess they are trip beams that will sound the alarm unless deflected/turned off/ avoided

Or are they saying you cast the spell on a single voluntary subject, and that subject then gains the ability to detect life. Actually, now that I think about it more, that makes a bit more sense. I keep thinking spells have a range of "Caster" and then the range applies to how far they can detect stuff. Need to get through my head that it doesn't mean that.
    I think that must be it otherwise the 'Detect Enemies' spell has to have the enemies voluntarily agree to be detected
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2019-11-03 at 05:57 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem