The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728
Results 811 to 826 of 826
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Delta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    It's been forever so I could be wrong, but IIRC a "two phase laser system" is one where there is a low energy laser beam that detects intruders which can then switch into a high energy mode to damage said intruder, I think it was in the old SR2 sourcebook about corporate security which also introduced the idea of "security riggers" that could basically access a whole security system in the same way a regular rigger interfaces with a vehicle.

  2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    It's been forever so I could be wrong, but IIRC a "two phase laser system" is one where there is a low energy laser beam that detects intruders which can then switch into a high energy mode to damage said intruder, I think it was in the old SR2 sourcebook about corporate security which also introduced the idea of "security riggers" that could basically access a whole security system in the same way a regular rigger interfaces with a vehicle.
    Hmmmm. The 'Corporate Security Handbook' (p27) makes reference to 'two part devices', a sending unit that emits a beam of light ( 'or a laser') and a receiving unit that detects it. With the alarm being raised if an intruder disrupts the beam so the receiving unit isn't getting it.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

  3. - Top - End - #813
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Hmmmm. The 'Corporate Security Handbook' (p27) makes reference to 'two part devices', a sending unit that emits a beam of light ( 'or a laser') and a receiving unit that detects it. With the alarm being raised if an intruder disrupts the beam so the receiving unit isn't getting it.
    Interesting. But the adventure One Stage Before was published in 1992, and the Corp Sec Handbook was published in 1995. Anyone recall something from an earlier source?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

  4. - Top - End - #814
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Delta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Huh, 1992 is really early there aren't really many sources to go back on, I'm confident there's nothing about this tech in either the core or the old Street Sam Catalog (although it does have the first mention of laser weapons in SR) and nothing in the old Grimoire either for sure, so that would only leave maybe the old Rigger Black Book but I don't think there's a lot of security stuff in that either.

  5. - Top - End - #815
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Which edition is least crunchy with relatively simple rules for combat and so forth. Relatively as in only a pool or two compared to the mass number of pools in 5th. I read through that book and you need a frikkin accounting degree to make sense of it and even make characters. I played I think it was 4th in the mid-2000s, played back in 1st and 2nd briefly but only remember the fluff of those eras. Not planning on using the matrix, players can either do a simple skill test or hire a decker. Never liked having to run a separate adventure just for deckers while everyone else twiddles their thumbs.

  6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    Which edition is least crunchy with relatively simple rules for combat and so forth. Relatively as in only a pool or two compared to the mass number of pools in 5th. I read through that book and you need a frikkin accounting degree to make sense of it and even make characters. I played I think it was 4th in the mid-2000s, played back in 1st and 2nd briefly but only remember the fluff of those eras. Not planning on using the matrix, players can either do a simple skill test or hire a decker. Never liked having to run a separate adventure just for deckers while everyone else twiddles their thumbs.
    I think all the editions are pretty much equally crunchy, just in slightly different ways. 3E was supposed to have smaller dice pools than 2E, but I recall hearing it failed pretty badly in that regard. Personally I prefer 2E. But that's at least partly because I already know the system, I own most of the books already, and can't justify to myself spending another $200 on a new edition, and then again when the next edition gets released.

    I've heard people talk (read people's posts on this board) about using Savage Worlds (I think?) for rules-lite Shadowrun. And possibly Shadowrun-Anarchy? I think?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

  7. - Top - End - #817
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I think all the editions are pretty much equally crunchy, just in slightly different ways. 3E was supposed to have smaller dice pools than 2E, but I recall hearing it failed pretty badly in that regard. Personally I prefer 2E. But that's at least partly because I already know the system, I own most of the books already, and can't justify to myself spending another $200 on a new edition, and then again when the next edition gets released.

    I've heard people talk (read people's posts on this board) about using Savage Worlds (I think?) for rules-lite Shadowrun. And possibly Shadowrun-Anarchy? I think?
    I've been thinking more and more about Savage Worlds Shadowrun. Lots of folks say to look at Interface for hacking rules, so I intend to delve into those, but, mostly, I don't want to screw with the Shadowrun system when there's others that work as well with fewer moving parts.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DeTess's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    As others have said, if you want to significantly simplify shadowrun's math, it's probably best to port the fluff to another system. I've run Shadowrun in fate for a couple of sessions, which worked for my group.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

  9. - Top - End - #819
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Delta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Well, if you want the least crunchy Shadowrun, there is Anarchy, but I'm not sure that's exactly what you're looking for either.

  10. - Top - End - #820
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Well, if you want the least crunchy Shadowrun, there is Anarchy, but I'm not sure that's exactly what you're looking for either.
    A friend of mine ported the fluff to GURPS 4e and we played off that. Not really any less crunchy, but the rules definitely flow a lot less clunky than Shadowrun's various incarnations.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  11. - Top - End - #821
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dimers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    A friend of mine ported the fluff to GURPS 4e and we played off that. Not really any less crunchy, but the rules definitely flow a lot less clunky than Shadowrun's various incarnations.
    Any crunch you'd care to share from that translation?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

    Current games list

  12. - Top - End - #822
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Any crunch you'd care to share from that translation?
    Sorry I didn't get back to you on this Q. I can find the crunch, but all the race builds are ponies and unicorns, so I'm not sure if that is still useful for your needs?


    Anyone ever do a Christmas theme heist in SR?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DeTess's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Anyone ever do a Christmas theme heist in SR?
    Not yet, but I really want to do Something with the annual exchange of a Christmas fruit cake between Alamais and Dunkelzahn. I might actually try to get a group together for that this month.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

  14. - Top - End - #824
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dimers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Sorry I didn't get back to you on this Q. I can find the crunch, but all the race builds are ponies and unicorns, so I'm not sure if that is still useful for your needs?
    Heh, probably not

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Anyone ever do a Christmas theme heist in SR?
    No, but I have a SR Christmas Humor Dream Team:

    Santa, a fat and jolly Elf, shaman of deer and cold. Wears red with white fur trim, shades; uses a tommygun, mostly for the look

    Mrs. Claws, female street samurai

    Abominable / "Bumble", an albino troll bruiser or gunman

    The Snowman, an elf decker who looks like Billy Idol in "White Wedding". Says "Ice is no problem for The Snowman". Possibly addicted to cocaine. His teammates call upon him by saying there's-no-man alive who could do XYZ ...

    Rude Dolph, red-nosed dwarf rigger, adept at piloting through the worst weather. Team's main vehicle is called "The Slay". Has a tiny drone adapted to be miniature whirling death, "Saint Nicks'n'Scratches". And another one for drilling into target sites: we make our own damn chimney!

    o/~ You'd better run, or you're gonna die!
    If you wanna fight kiss your ass goodbye --
    Santa Claus is gunning you down.
    He'll freeze you in your footsteps, he'll shoot you in the head
    Last thing you'll see is red and white, if you live you're better off dead ... o/~

    I haven't yet figured out a good way to pun "stocking" against "stalking".
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

    Current games list

  15. - Top - End - #825
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    That is a beautiful team idea. XD

    Who is their fixer, the Krampus?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  16. - Top - End - #826
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dimers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions III: Ya like that, Chummer?

    Absolutely. I'll add that to my notes.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

    Current games list

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •