New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Exclamation Deleting Spammer Accounts

I've seen three different spam bots in the last two weeks, and noticed that the accounts are still there. Is it possible for the mods to manually delete the accounts themselves, to free up the names? Is it something that is already done?

I'm putting this here because it's the closest to appropriate stickied thread. I may as well make the request for a stickied thread here for questions like this, to collect the answers to these questions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Deleting Spammer Accounts

Sheriff: Moved from Inappropriate Ad thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    I've seen three different spam bots in the last two weeks, and noticed that the accounts are still there. Is it possible for the mods to manually delete the accounts themselves, to free up the names? Is it something that is already done?
    Feel free to report spam posts. We'll ban the spammer and remove the spam. We do not delete accounts. Among other things, it messes with the database.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    I'm putting this here because it's the closest to appropriate stickied thread. I may as well make the request for a stickied thread here for questions like this, to collect the answers to these questions.
    We do not need more stickies. Mostly, people just skip over them, and sometimes people post non-relevant questions in them. If anyone has questions, they can search this subforum, PM me, or create a thread.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #3
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Deleting Spammer Accounts

I'd just like to add that almost all spambot accounts use names that no one would ever want to use. In the unlikely event that a desired name is taken by a banned spambot, a user may request the name and we will rename the spambot then their account. All rules for name changes must be followed, except this issue grants an exception to the minimum registration time before first name change (i.e. it's considered a technical issue and may be requested on day one).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak