New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Kharheim Delegation

Sister Rosalind was a woman of faith, and she knew that there was very few forces of magic that could have bested them given the condition of the ship they had encountered the other day. It had been in utter darkness, on fire, and heading towards rocky shores with no way of seeing what was around them, never mind the storm itself. The chances they had been overtaken were slim, however their were spells that could make it look like they were, and as she watched all the arrows miss the crew her theory was confirmed.

"Captain, everyone that ship is an illusion. It is not really, someone is hiding close by, I suggest we let lose our sails and try making a run for Kharheim. This will force the enemy to come to you and out of hiding. It will also make their spellcaster use more of their spells." she points out.

"If the true enemy shows themselves I can fly over and cut their sails or try to blind them if their hearts are filled with evil. I would offer to take one of them with me upon a return trip, however I doubt I will have the strength to battle anyone in such a manner and carry them across the water."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just lost a post I'd typed up, when will I learn?

So instead of that beautifully crafted masterpiece of storytelling (honest!) here you go...

With Rosalind's pronouncement, the crew manage one by one to see through the fiction. A handful of bolts splash harmlessly into the water, but soon the rattled orders of the Captain break through the illusion.

With what seems painful slowness, the sails are adjusted, the wheel spun; gradually, tortuously, the bow of the ship turns to starboard, its impetus still bearing it nearer to the phantom vessel.

Then the figment of the enemy ship vanishes; there is a resounding crack, the splintering of timbers; the ship lurches, throwing several crewmen from their feet, and heels alarmingly over to the port.

The Captain curses under his breath. A glance sends dwarves equipped with carpenters' tools down below decks, swiftly followed by Karth Kudrenson, axe in hand.

"Sister Rosalind!" the Captain bellows, hands tight on the rail. "Mr Gunn! I cannot fight what I cannot see!"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

"Neither can I Captain, I can try a spell that will work on all souls that have evil in their heart. However its range is just under 200ft meaning if they are out of its range, or not evil it will simply not effect them. I could call forth a wall of wind to stop archers from firing upon the crew, though the enemy spellcaster may see this and simply have their own ship move to a side not protected by the spell. It may buy us a few moments however. I believe our best bet is looking for disturbance's in the water from the direction of the attack and if it is within range trying to fire upon that location. With luck we will hit something and it will catch fire." Sister Rosalind explains waiting to see what the captain wished her to do with her magical abilities as she herself searched the waves for a sign.

Spot check (1d20+4)[20]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

"If the ship was an illusion, it seems the most likely thing is that we are dealing with one rogue caster who survived the storm." Gunn reaches out telepathically to sense minds within 100'. (Maybe more if he finds anything)
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Initially, Gunn finds nothing within the range except fish. After a few seconds, however, a highly intelligent humanoid mind (Int 22) appears at the fringes of his senses - beneath the ship.

It approaches quickly; then, a second mind appears immediately below the ship, near where the carpenters and Karth are.

A magical beast, with a decidedly dark mind. (Int 3)

Show
    I'll let you decide what to do in the light of that before Bain replies!

6. - Top - End - #66

Gunn relays the information to Rosalind, and to the crew: The enemy is beneath us, and they've summoned something to distract the carpenters!"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Well I doubt in this moment I can reach them, though I could give someone the ability to breath underwater. First however lets try to make them blind so that it will make them harder to attack our ship." Sister Rosalind says to all assembled as she begins chanting in celestial and the entire ocean seems to soak up the rays of the sun as if it were a mirror reflecting the rays of pure light in all directions trying to blind the enemy. However after the attack it is clear Sister Rosalind is much weaker, as if she gave a part of herself into the spell.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Standard Action Cast Brilliant Emanation
    All evil creatures in a 170ft. radius Fort DC 21 or be blinded for (1d4)[3] rounds
    If save is passed they simply take a -1 penalty to attacks due to being distracted

To do this I scarified Create Food and water
    (1d3)[2] Str damage to me as it is an exalted spell

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With the ship's hull between you and the enemy, you can only trust your spell took effect; but you hear Karth's battle cry down below, and the ship shudders at another impact - although less devastating than the first.

There is no sign of the spellcaster. If he was caught within the spell, perhaps he is waiting it out - or perhaps he is casting buffs on himself or his summoned creature.

Show
    As you've probably guessed, I'm not enforcing initiative order - just post a round's worth of actions each time.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

"Captain I can not tell if my spell worked, though that last attack seemed to have a lot less power in it then the first. If you have anyone that is good with a blade and swimming I suggest you send them to me now, I can give them a spell that will allow them to breath underwater. Once I am done however I will be trying to get to the carpenters to keep them alive. Something is trying to kill them below us, and I doubt the enemy will fight us up on deck, they will sink the ship instead." Sister Rosalind explains.

Show

Cast Water Breathing on who the captain suggests followed by going to join the carpenters.
    If no one is suggested she will take a double move action to get to the carpenters if needed

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Captain selects several crewmembers, who grimly arm themselves with knives and short spears, stripping off all encumbrances. Rosalind calls on her gods to bless them, and a faintly luminous layer of gas forms around each dwarf's mouth and nose. The crewmen nod their thanks before diving into the sea, ready to take the battle to their foe.

The priestess then races below decks. Water is pouring in through a hole in the hull, and is already ankle-deep. A team of dwarves has formed a bucket chain, bailing with all their might to delay the inevitable; the carpenters, led by Karth Kudrenson, have equipment ready to seal the breach, but are being prevented from getting close enough. One carpenter already lies bleeding in the bilge, his fingers white as he tries to stem the flow from a gaping wound in his left arm.

The cause of the injury quickly becomes clear. A long, serpentine neck ending in a vicious reptilian head darts through the breach, nostrils flaring as it searches blindly for its prey, vicious teeth gleaming in the lantern light.

With ash-dark scales, crimson eyes and a sulfurous stench, it is clear this beast is native to the lower planes - but whatever its origin, it is plainly a living being. The question for Rosalind is clear, even as the beast tears the breach further with its powerful neck: how can she save the ship without breaking her vows?

Karth chooses that moment to leap forward, hacking at the exposed head with his two-handed axe; with a hiss like an angry crocodile, the creature recoils, briefly clearing the breach before cautiously returning.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Gunn's turn

11. - Top - End - #71

Inspired by himself and buoyed by his own magic, Gunn fires two shots from his bow at the retreating serpent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Haste, Inspire Courage:
    (1d20+6)[19]; (1d6)[6]+(4d6)[13]
    (1d20+6)[13]; (1d6)[6]+(4d6)[16]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Both of Gunn's arrows hit home in the creature's flesh, driving deep and eliciting a low rumble of indignation - although the thick layer of scales means the damage is less severe than it might have been.

Show
    Given the dragonfire inspiration, do your arrows count as magic for the purposes of damage reduction?

Show
    Rosalind next please. After that, Gunn can act again before the enemy if I haven't had chance to post.
    Last edited by ilinares; 2017-02-28 at 12:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    And here I thought outsiders were on the list of allowed, well this may be a problem, sure I can do non lethal but as I can not get it to surrender and I know my allies will keep attacking it I cannot without breaking my vow. Hell making it blind is a grey area.

As Sister Rosalind sees the living creature, even with the taint of evil within it she looked to the dwarven warriors. "My vows prevent me from harming a living creature, so I will not be able to aid you with magic against such a beast. However I can still keep you all alive." With that Sister Rosalind asks for Kirest to send down one of his children to aid her in keeping the braze souls of this ship alive.

Show
    Move Action to stand next to the largest group so if any of them get injured she may cast Close wound as an imediate action so they do not die healing (1d4+17)[18] Damage and providing the person with the sanctuary effect Will DC 331 or the person can not be attacked this round.

Standard action casting Healing Spirit

As the spell completes a small ball of pure light appears besides the dwarf who was bleeding out from the evil creatures attack. Landing on the dwarves shoulder, a warm glow fills him as his wounds begin to heal.

Spoiler: HEaling spirit
    Show
    4 rounds remaining
    heals dwarf (1d8+16)[23] damage and grants sanctuary Will DC 31 vs attacks for 1 round.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Karth has time for a grim nod before wading - literally - back into the fray.

The creature seems to relish the heat of the flames, barely scorched by even the intensity of the dragonfire. At the same time, the creature's scales ward off more damage than they should.

But the dwarf hefts his rune-inscribed axe once more, and with a mighty battle shout gouges another chunk of flesh from the beast, runes flashing as they cut through the creature's protections.

"Mr Gunn!" he calls. "Drakeslayer left a few of his possessions aboard. I think he had an enchanted crossbow. Now would be a good time to find out if he left it!"

He nods towards a door on the other side of the deck. As he does so, taking his eyes briefly off the reptile, it shoots its head forward, teeth like oversized needles tearing into his hastily raised forearm.

15. - Top - End - #75

Gunn nods and quickly darts into the room the Captain indicated, eyes peeled for anything that looks like an enchanted crossbow, or the case for an enchanted crossbow, or is large enough to store an enchanted crossbow.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The cabin is full of curiosities: the skull of a wyvern; a collection of books, their binding strangely reversed to your eyes; a heavy rune-scribed tome clad in copper, which glows faintly with golden light; a selection of wrought iron figures; various chests, none the right shape to hold a crossbow; a small selection of gemstones, scattered by the motion of the ship, and a broken magnifying glass.

On the floor beneath the bed, you find a leather case about the right size. Throwing it open, you find an elaborately carved and rune-inscribed crossbow of some rich red wood, and a smaller case of bolts. There are twenty bolts in all, the fletching tinted: five red, five white, five blue, five black. A brief inspection of one bolt shows a single dwarven rune etched into the head, which glimmers faintly with eldritch light.

Gathering up the weapons, you turn to leave, but catch sight of something else under the bed in the process.

Wands.

Four wands, each bearing a different set of runes. They might do anything; for all you know, they might be wands of prestidigitation - or they might set off a fireball in the bowels of a ship.

But there's also a chance they could be the weapon you need to drive off the summoned beast.
    Last edited by ilinares; 2017-03-02 at 03:38 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Gunn grabs the crossbow and the wands and heads back out, secreting the wands away inside the extradimensional space in his jacket for now.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gunn finds the battle still raging fiercely. It seems only Karth's axe has the necessary enchantment to cut the beast's hide; the other dwarves are hanging back, preparing a patch for the breach, but unable to deliver it with this monster in place.

Through a combination of the beast's blindness and Rosalind's healing magic, Karth looks uninjured - but the water is now over his knees, impeding his movement and imperilling the ship. The unnatural reptile is wounded, its black blood staining the water, but so far those injuries have only served to anger it.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

"If we can get its head outside the ships hull I should be able to repair the hole with magic." Sister Rosalind calls out to the dwarves to inspire them more. Once they begin their attack she calls forth a divine shield of warding to protect them all from attacks of summoned creatures.

Show

Move action to center of the dwarves so she can capture the most in her spell
    Standard action Casting Magic circle against evil (80 minutes, 10ft. radius around rosalind, +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves, immunity to mind control.
    Spell resistance check against said evil creature ((1d20+7)[24] If Rosalind succeeds the creature can not enter the space the magic circle encompasses meaning in essence I could force it out of the ship by slowly moving forward each turn, and in theory if it fails its save the evil creature can not attack anyone inside the spells radius

The Orb will continue to heal who needs the most treatment (1d8+16)[24] Granting that person a Will DC 31 sanctuary effect for 1 round

20. - Top - End - #80

Gunn reaches out telepathically to the creature, sending a simple command without language, compelling the creature to withdraw. He also loads the crossbow with one of the dwarf-sigiled bolts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Push the Weak Mind as standard, load crossbow as move. DC 18 Will

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The hellspawned reptile's mind is crude, barely more intelligent than an animal. When Gunn reaches out to it telepathically, then, it is practically child's play to convince it to retreat, clearing its head from the breach.

Immediately, Rosalind steps forward a pace, calling on her gods for protection. A shimmering, barely visible curtain of white light manifests around her, forming a perfect circle - extending to the other side of the breach, and forming an impassible barrier to the summoned monster.

The dwarves breathe a sigh of relief, but the danger is by no means past. Taking up their tools and materials, they hasten to plug the breach, the water now over their hips.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Not wanting to say thanks to early Sister Rosalind uses one of the spells she often used to fix the hospice she ran when it got to battered by the weather to repair the hole in the ship before looking to the carpenters. "I doubt it will hold as well as what you can do, but it should allow you time to properly seal it." she explains to them kindly, before going with the healing spirit to make sure all were safe.

"Captain what is going on above deck?" she calls out hoping the battle had remained under the ocean.

Show

Free action talking
    Standard Make whole
    Move action to try and make sure if the creature attacks again the magic circle will cover most of the ships lower decks.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The healing power of the Lovers is not confined to living flesh. With astonishing speed, the splintered wood of the hull knits back together, tendrils of living wood reaching out from each plank to embrace its fellows. In moments, the breach is sealed, as perfectly as if it had never been, leaving the dwarves staring from the priestess to the newformed wood, abruptly redundant.

There is scant time for amazement, however. As the bucket chain continue their efforts to save the ship, Rosalind returns to the deck and calls a question to the Captain.

The answer to her question becomes abruptly clear, as the drenched body of one of your crewmen - currently missing its head - arcs up from the sea to land with a stomach-wrenching splat on the deck. It is quickly followed by your attacker, flying free of the water to hover above the ship.

You get your first good look at the enemy. Dressed in the same mix of furs and robes you remember Thuril wearing, she is a silver-haired dwarven woman, soaked from head to toe in water and blood, night-black eyes glaring with rage down at you. She appears unarmed, but the air around her shimmers with half-seen spells, and a circle of runes written in emerald fire orbits her right hand.

Spoiler: Dwarven
    Show
    "Clanless turd-lickers! Why won't you die already? Well, let's see how well you sail without a Captain. For Maltur!"

Her eyes flicker to Bain, narrowing with violent intensity.

Show
    She's used up her actions for this round - you both get to act before she casts.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

As Sister Rosalind listens to the woman speaking in dwarven praising someone she couldn't understand given her learning of dwarven still, she did know she was about to attack the captain. "GUNN WE NEED YOU NOW!" Sister Rosalind calls out as she turns to the captain. "Do you trust me?" she calls out to him hoping she had brought the spell component with her she needed to complete the spell, as she finds the pair of rings she begins chanting before slipping one onto her finger and handing the other to the captain. "It will link my life to yours, if you place this ring on it should grant you some of the lovers blessing, as well as allow me to take some of the pain from your wounds. I cannot fight this enemy as they are a living creature, however I can make sure she can not kill you." Sister Rosalind says to the man, hoping he would accept the ring for the time.

Spoiler: Shield other problem
    Show

So I just ran into a problem, Shield other requires 2 rings of platinum worth 50gp....Would this be one of those things that is allowed for her to carry on her? If not can we work out some other way for this spell to function saying it is a spell she would know as a servant of the Lovers?

+1 Deflection bonus to AC, +1 Resistance bonus to saves, and he only takes half damage from any damaging effects that do not cause ability damage.

Also he would be within the magic circle against evil for +2 deflection bonus to AC (deflection bonuses are the only ones that stack with each other so +3 to AC). +2 resistance bonus to saves (so due to stacking only +2), He is also protected from charm and complusion effects until the end of the spell magic circle against evil. Also a caster passed A fort save that high thus not being blind?

25. - Top - End - #85

To do what, Gunn thinks at Sister Rosalind's desperate plea, but he keeps his thoughts to himself as he considers the options at his disposal.

The captain and himself are already inspired to be courageous, and under the effects of his Haste spell. He fires the loaded crossbow at the dwarf, unsure of its effects but keen to see what they do.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack using known modifiers (not counting any bonuses from the weapon/ ammunition): (1d20+5)[21], (1d8)[8]+(4d6)[17]
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-03-09 at 08:34 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    You're right, she didn't make the save - and in consequence I shouldn't have described her as looking at Bain. Arguably she shouldn't be able to pick him out as a target in preference to the rest of the crew from the audio cues available to her. But you've now declared actions based on the information that she was going to target him, specifically - so if I change her actions, it will be to your detriment.

So, sorry for overlooking that. To confirm, she is currently blind and so suffering a 50% miss chance, among other things.

Just to point out before I post, in case her defensive spells are a surprise, she's a mage who has seen evidence she was going to go up against one or more spellcasters - with specific examples of fire buffs being used - and has had time to prepare her repertoire accordingly. I believe in playing intelligent npcs intelligently!

Gunn's bolt flies unerringly and strikes the mage in the sternum. A moment before impact, the bolt passes through an invisible ward, sending a ripple of green light out from that point and shedding its dragonfire; then as the bolt strikes, her skin briefly assumes the texture and colour of granite, stubbornly resisting the steel.

But for all her defences, the bolt bites into her flesh, sending a spray of bright blood cascading to the ship.

Show
    The crossbow has a +3 modifier. These black-fletched bolts, of which you now have four remaining, carry the bane (humanoid, dwarf) special property. Damage rolled for you this round.

The mage growls wordlessly. With a gesture and a word, she creates a bolt of lightning, which surges through the intervening space to strike Bain Karthson. The smell of ozone and burning flesh fills the air, and you find yourselves blinking the afterimage from your vision.

The Captain cries out, and Rosalind feels her own skin blister and cook as the sympathetic magic between you takes its toll. Fortunately, the priestess has just done enough; gravely burned but alive, the Captain staggers a few steps before loosing a crossbow bolt at the mage, as so many other crewmen. Even those bolts that are able to hit her do no apparent harm, but you trust that they are wearing down her defences anyway.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Show

You're right, she didn't make the save - and in consequence I shouldn't have described her as looking at Bain. Arguably she shouldn't be able to pick him out as a target in preference to the rest of the crew from the audio cues available to her. But you've now declared actions based on the information that she was going to target him, specifically - so if I change her actions, it will be to your detriment.

So, sorry for overlooking that. To confirm, she is currently blind and so suffering a 50% miss chance, among other things.

Just to point out before I post, in case her defensive spells are a surprise, she's a mage who has seen evidence she was going to go up against one or more spellcasters - with specific examples of fire buffs being used - and has had time to prepare her repertoire accordingly. I believe in playing intelligent npcs intelligently!
    It's all good just wanted to make sure, as for the last part so long as you don't pull an Alan lol

"Surrender now and I promise you will be meet with a fair trial. Refuse and I can not promise you will live to see another day. However whatever cause you may serve will be known to us and pay for the crimes of your actions." Sister Rosalind calls out to the voice, sending the spirit of Kirest to go heal the captain one last time before it vanishes from this plane of existence and she heals herself as well. However unlike her normal healing magic, this kind seems to make her and the captian more nimble.

Show

HEaling Spirit (1d8+16)[23] HEaled for captain Healing kicker grants him +3 to reflex saves as I am using the second version I gained at this level

Using Cure minor wounds on myself for +7hp healed as you didn't tell me how much damage I actually took and a +3 on reflex saves as well due to healing kicker.

28. - Top - End - #88

Gunn hesitates a moment to let the dwarf surrender, reloading and readying an attack with the enchanted crossbow should she do anything else.

Show
    Move to reload with black bolt (Bane damage rolled OOC), Readying standard for anything other than immediate surrender: (1d20+7)[14] [16], (1d4)[1]; (1d20+7)[17], (1d4)[1]
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-03-09 at 08:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The mage ignores Rosalind, either not understanding Common or not caring to dignify her words with a reply.

She traces another flaming green rune in the air, ignoring Gunn's crossbow bolt as it sails past her - course bent by her wards - to land uselessly in the sea.

A pea-sized bead of white-hot flame arcs from her towards the ship. On impact, it detonates, sending fire in all directions to a radius of twenty feet. You both find yourselves caught in the blast.

Spoiler: Fireball
    Show
    39 fire damage, or DC 18 reflex save for half.

Six members of the crew are within the blast. All fall screaming to the deck, and quickly fall silent; two perish instantly, and the other four look to be clinging to life by a thread.

As well as this, the Captain is caught by the blast. He is quick enough to avoid the worst of it, but still adds to his hideous collection of burns - and, through the mystic link between him and Rosalind, she suffers in turn.

Show
    Rosalind takes another 9 fire damage through the link with Captain Karthson.

The surviving dwarves continue grimly peppering the mage with bolts. From the bowels of the ship, Karth Kudrenson emerges and adds his own bolt to the volley; more accurate than the sailors, this bolt at least seems to draw blood, if not much of it.

You see Harn at the bow of the ship, struggling to turn a heavy ballista on a cunning wooden platform, designed to rotate in place. Blind, the mage does not see the threat, has no way of knowing what the noise signifies. Even so, it is taking laborious seconds to bring the weapon to bear - and against a target that size, will a weapon designed for attacking enemy ships be accurate enough?

30. - Top - End - #90

Barring divine intervention, the thread of Gunn's life is consumed in the flames. (-13)
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-03-09 at 08:49 PM.