New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Default Re: My Little Pony XCVI: Long Live the King

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    An arimaspi territory only seems to make sense if arimaspi is plural.
    Not particularly. You could easily label Equestria "pony territory" or Yakyakistan "yak territory," after all (and indeed, that's probably what the terms would mean if the faux-Latin and faux-Persian were stripped away). "Bugbear country" actually appears as a term on the map, and "bugbear" is definitely singular in common usage.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2017-02-01 at 08:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Maybe. I didn't even know that there was a comic series. Have to follow up on it.
    Zim apparently spent the entire time between being canceled and the comic revival hiding in his toilet. Dib got fat doing nothing and waiting for Zim to act(as was Zim's plan all along.)

Gonna get this back on the Pony Topic though
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

I only now realize that "aramaspi" may be plural (what's the singular, though? aramasp?) The tale talks about it as if it's a single creature, but the official map shows an aramaspi territory as if it's a race. I'm inclined to believe the tale isn't 100% accurate, and actually it was a raid by aramaspi (plural), not a single thief.
    Interesting idea, but I'm going to agree with others and assume that there was only one of them. We've seen one-off monsters several times including Tirek, Scorpan, Discord, The Smooze, and Ahuizotl.

I think it would be similar to if someone put "Smaug Territory" on a map of middle earth. It would basically be a warning that there is a strong monster here, so stay away.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Or he's that territorial to claim an entire area? Giant one-eyed monsters need some extra elbow room, you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie View Post
    Interesting idea, but I'm going to agree with others and assume that there was only one of them. We've seen one-off monsters several times including Tirek, Scorpan, Discord, The Smooze, and Ahuizotl.

I think it would be similar to if someone put "Smaug Territory" on a map of middle earth. It would basically be a warning that there is a strong monster here, so stay away.
    I ... suppose.

But if Arimaspi was the name of a singe creature, then that creature is dead, we saw the skull. So why is there still an Arimaspi territory if the Arimaspi is dead and gone?

Maaaaybe Arimaspi is not a name, but a title. Like the title of their king or something. So when the one we saw in the tale died, some other of his race took his place and became Arimaspi. Still seems a bit weird to have an Arimaspi territory, but it makes better sense that it's a title than a name, I think.

Not particularly. You could easily label Equestria "pony territory" or Yakyakistan "yak territory," after all (and indeed, that's probably what the terms would mean if the faux-Latin and faux-Persian were stripped away). "Bugbear country" actually appears as a term on the map, and "bugbear" is definitely singular in common usage.
    Right, my bad. What I meant to say was "An arimaspi territory only seems to make sense if arimaspi refers to a race, not the name of a single creature." Like all your examples: pony, yak, bugbear, all refer to a race of creatures, not the name of a single creature.

The word "arimaspi" could be both singular and plural, as some words are. An arimaspi, many arimaspi. That sounds right to me.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Spamalot in the Playground

But if Arimaspi was the name of a singe creature, then that creature is dead, we saw the skull. So why is there still an Arimaspi territory if the Arimaspi is dead and gone?
    Probably for the same reason my paper map of the city of Orlando shows streets that no longer exist thanks to the construction. In other words, the maps haven't been updated yet.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Probably for the same reason my paper map of the city of Orlando shows streets that no longer exist thanks to the construction. In other words, the maps haven't been updated yet.
    Or what's more likely, the mapmakers just slapped down any old name, not expecting anyone to care too much and expecting the show to retcon things so they'd have to edit the map again anyway.

Someone say "Doylist." I dare you.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Or what's more likely, the mapmakers just slapped down any old name, not expecting anyone to care too much and expecting the show to retcon things so they'd have to edit the map again anyway.

Someone say "Doylist." I dare you.
    What's Doylist?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    What's Doylist?
    I'm not sure if sarcasm or genuine curiosity. The smilies coule mean either. Will explain for safty's sake.

There are two perspectives for why something happens in a story--the Watsonian and the Doylist. The terms are derived from the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is the original author, but the stories have the framing device of being a reproduction of the Memoirs of Doctor John Watson. Doyle wrote something because it's what he wanted to happen or what he wanted his character to say. Watson wrote something down becuase it's what happened.

So the Watsonian perspective is the reason something happened from the character's perspective, the Doyalist is the Author's perspective on why it happened.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #99

This is honestly how maps of my city are made. Not lying, we've retconned street names.

Just wired the closing funds into the escrow account. Less than 24 hours to go!

Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm not sure if sarcasm or genuine curiosity. The smilies coule mean either. Will explain for safty's sake.

There are two perspectives for why something happens in a story--the Watsonian and the Doylist. The terms are derived from the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is the original author, but the stories have the framing device of being a reproduction of the Memoirs of Doctor John Watson. Doyle wrote something because it's what he wanted to happen or what he wanted his character to say. Watson wrote something down becuase it's what happened.

So the Watsonian perspective is the reason something happened from the character's perspective, the Doyalist is the Author's perspective on why it happened.
    Oh I knew it was some sort of literally term, but instead of looking it up I decided to say Doyalist because Zimmer dared me.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #101

Epic level burn.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2017-02-02 at 05:30 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Oh I knew it was some sort of literally term, but instead of looking it up I decided to say Doyalist because Zimmer dared me.
    Well, I didn't know, so can be consniderd to be now educated.

Got to 24/66 pages of monster revision done (all the way up to just prior to "Formorian"). Might have, after considerable effort, have dragged enough replies out of player to decide whether they want to go to PF feat every odd level instead of every 3. (Will require fair bit of going back and resorting stuff i've done, though I cheated tonight and copy/pasted PF feats, modified as necessary and marked anything over 3.x core in red.) Still making changes to the format (which usually means going back through and through my Dree Bestiary) as I go, which slows things down, but it sort of needs to be done.

One interesting thing...

Ferox. Monster. Some sort of animal. Could not for the unlife of me find where it came from, and eventually started searching my old quest stat blocks and found it, from the AD&D Die Vecna Die! module (which by extraordinaty co-incidence, I skim-reading last night). Still none the wiser as to what is was, but nevermind...

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Speaking of monsters - and monster starting with "a", I spent a good chunk of today updating my generic bestiary (and my Dree one)... Got shot of a lot of unnecessary text and streamlined a bit (dropped whole paragraphs from Improved Grab and Trip, since I really don't need the full explanation after seventeen years; and if PF can do it with but a line mention, so can I!) Got up to page 18/63... The wird thing? Only part way into "d" alphabetically. Apparently, the mix of monsters in the file has a disproportionate amount of a-through-d monsters. The mind boggles.
    thats because they want to be near the front of the line on payday/at feeding time in case the overlord runs short of money/food
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Watson wrote something down becuase it's what happened.
    If you take Holmes at his word, sometimes Watson wrote something down because he wanted to sensationalize or sentimentalize the events

Anyway, I dared someone to mention Doylism because sometimes people throw the term around like a slur. As if its an invalid or simplistic perspective to say a text is the way it is because someone wrote it that way.

15. - Top - End - #105

If you take Holmes at his word, sometimes Watson wrote something down because he wanted to sensationalize or sentimentalize the events

Anyway, I dared someone to mention Doylism because sometimes people throw the term around like a slur. As if its an invalid or simplistic perspective to say a text is the way it is because someone wrote it that way.
    I don't think it's a slur, but I do think it's kind of a jerk move when someone throws down Doyalism when context should make it clear that people are trying to figure out the Watsonian reason.

Not that I'm calling you a jerk, since you started arguing Watsonian, just to be clear.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-02-02 at 10:55 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

17. - Top - End - #107

Wwahahaha!
    Spoiler
    Show

That should be interesting. :3

Finally a bit of decent news there. Seemed like for a while all that was coming out of season 7 was that all the writers left.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with this. They're just drawing a map that doesn't make sense and hope it will sell. And I did know what "Doylist" means, but I don't use that word, I just say "out-of-universe" instead.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone else willing to take a bet that he's going to voicing an actor from an old space show called Star Trot? I'm kinda hoping it'll be at a con with Twi and Shiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Anyone else willing to take a bet that he's going to voicing an actor from an old space show called Star Trot? I'm kinda hoping it'll be at a con with Twi and Shiny.
    I'm still of the opinion that he's pulling everyone's leg.

Failing that, I'd peg his character as a travel agent or a beat cop in Manehattan before an airship captain or an actor of any type. Going for the subtle references.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2017-02-03 at 06:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Failing that, I'd peg his character as a travel agent or a beat cop in Manehattan before an airship captain or an actor of any type. Going for the subtle references.
    How about a lawyer then?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #112
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just a heads up for people who want to avoid spoilers. The junior novel adaptation of The Movie is slated to release August 29th a good two months before the October release of the film.

So come that date beware where you tread on the internet.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

29/64 pages done...

You willno doubt be amused to kow that in the panto, there is a character (Jim, the archetyped Dim One) who regularly reads a comic. Prop comic, entirely and completely without Bleakbanic interferance, is an MLP comic. (Albiet not an IDW one, but one of the ones aimed at younger kids with puzzles and such).

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Got to 24/66 pages of monster revision done (all the way up to just prior to "Formorian"). Might have, after considerable effort, have dragged enough replies out of player to decide whether they want to go to PF feat every odd level instead of every 3. (Will require fair bit of going back and resorting stuff i've done, though I cheated tonight and copy/pasted PF feats, modified as necessary and marked anything over 3.x core in red.) Still making changes to the format (which usually means going back through and through my Dree Bestiary) as I go, which slows things down, but it sort of needs to be done.

One interesting thing...

Ferox. Monster. Some sort of animal. Could not for the unlife of me find where it came from, and eventually started searching my old quest stat blocks and found it, from the AD&D Die Vecna Die! module (which by extraordinaty co-incidence, I skim-reading last night). Still none the wiser as to what is was, but nevermind...
    Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the AORTS rules and the PF rules for monsters?

Or to ask another way, why are you updating monsters to PF rules instead of just using PF rules?

For me as a GM, I've basically given up any system that requires me to put in effort to statting things.

Right now, I am using the Numenera and Paranoia New Ed. Numenera is easy since the GM just chooses a difficulty number and everything is based around that number. And Paranoia is easy since 90% of conflict is player vs. player.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the AORTS rules and the PF rules for monsters?

Or to ask another way, why are you updating monsters to PF rules instead of just using PF rules?
    The update is principally to reduce the differences between 3.Aotrs and PF, actually, since up until now 3.A was predominatly 3.5. There are some major differences, most notably outsiders (PF have D10 HD, not as good saves, and fold elementals into them) and Undead (D8+Cha not D12 HD, Cha to Fort save et al) and I was fed-up of back-converting PF stats to 3.A.

(I absolutely refuse to run monsters out of books - far too much fracking about with pages - so if a published module does not have the stats with it (and says something like "see [book][page reference]") it requires the stats to be transcribed to my notes. I also never liked the later-format 3.5 stat blocks - nor the PF sta blocks derived from them - so part of that includes putting them in the format I want.)

PF also has different feats (which may be changing if I can get a straight answer out of my players), which needed fixing and the skills were slightly different. (I did not fold Jump in to Acrobatics, did not adopt Fly as a skill until this overhaul and I refuse to not have Concentration as a skill.) The feats can also be different in other ways; PF Alertness replace bonus to spot and Search with Perception and Sense Motive; 3.A with Perception and +1 to initiative, for example.

So this overhaul is in many ways a re-overhaul of stats I'd converted from PF (or have not converted yet) from 3.5-like to PF-like (but not being entirely one or the other), but will mean I can cut-and-paste from PF stats more and need to adjust less. Most of the skill changes are now addative (I've kept 3.5's 8 skills/HD for Outsiders, for example, since as most of them require Concentration, it's easier to add skill points that back-calculate a creature's skill to replace one), a few BAB changes and such (and making a fair number of monsters a loot beefier - PF having far less secondary natural weapons, for one).

PF and 3.A differ in feats as well, since 3.A is mostly 3.5 with knobs on and some of PF's better bit nicked and back-tweaked for compatibility. I did not adapt PF quite simply because I considered that overall, PF's houserules for 3.5 were not any better than my houserules. While I have adopted a fair number, there are an equally large number I looked at and had a derisive snort over.

(Power Attack, for example. Complaints about "PA makes Wraith Striking Dragons far too powerful" means that you should, rather than "fix" one of the Fighter and Barbarian's most useful feats, maybe fix dragons? I mean, for a kick off, I dunno, maybe cap the BAB off at 20HD and make them have half-progression thereafter like Epic characters, instead of scaling it willy-nilly? (Because that's what 3.A uses, and stats as I come across are modified as necessary.) And Dispel Magic absolutely did NOT need a nerf, it's absolutely critical.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie
    For me as a GM, I've basically given up any system that requires me to put in effort to statting things.

Right now, I am using the Numenera and Paranoia New Ed. Numenera is easy since the GM just chooses a difficulty number and everything is based around that number. And Paranoia is easy since 90% of conflict is player vs. player.
    I am of the opinion if the job is not worth doing right, it's not worth doing.

If it requires an afternoon to work out an approximation of how many hours of daylight the party has to work with in a quest for pre-teen players, a couple of week's worth of stat conversions, an complete overhaul of the casting system to remove Vancian casting for a campaign world or six months revising the current Rolemaster system for a new party because the game system hasn't had a overhaul for twenty years (or even a new party for ten) or painstakingly writing up lists of every feat and spell and their source and eventually, the majority of every feat and spell with revisions and modifications (so that you don't have to lug otherwise largely redundant paperwork to the club everyweek) to do it right, then that's what will get done.

No matter how many times you have to go back all through something because you've made another format change.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Just a heads up for people who want to avoid spoilers. The junior novel adaptation of The Movie is slated to release August 29th a good two months before the October release of the film.
    Really? Well that's some lousy timing. :/

Kind of like when you go back in time and bump into your younger self.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

So, Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park had a...unique way of trolling his fans regarding their upcoming album: https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/stat...14398984151040

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1abDJyUBQ
    I think that Aortscommander may appreciate on the subject.
    Spoiler: Game spoiler
    Show
    Especially the effects of ramming on the ramming ship. At least Imperium had armored prows for that.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Allow me to direct your attention to: this.

You may now continue about your business.

Pics Unrelated
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-02-04 at 04:33 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    So, Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park had a...unique way of trolling his fans regarding their upcoming album: https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/stat...14398984151040
    That was really good, damn!