New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Elemental, Magical Aptitude

are there alternatives to the Bloodline of Fire, that may apply to other elements? I like lightning and cold spells, for various reasons, and I was wondering if it was possible to get the same +2 caster level for those types of spells anywhere.
    Signet, the eternal.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

On an island where many NPCs were slaughtered by ooze monsters while the party tried desperately to escape. Ah, Memories.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Elemental, Magical Aptitude

If it doesn't get a book thrown at you, you could use one of the elemental substitution feats to change Fireball to Ice Ball or Lightning Ball, and still keep the +2CL benefit since you're making an on-the-fly change.

I think.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the fluff reason why there's a bloodline of fire and not versions of other elements is that FR had a nation ruled by efreeti, and later has lots of people as fire genasi (or further diluted efreeti bloodline) descendants. If you aren't using the Realms as a campaign setting, attributing parallel feats for other elements to other appropriate ancestors makes tons of sense. For cold, you could go for marid, but Frostburn has an ice genie that fits even better. Lightning has fewer choices for an ancestor to put into your backstory, I can't think of any off hand. Really there's no problem leaving the ancestor unknown to make the feat work anyway though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Jinnbond - Greyhawk regional feat from Dragon #319 - allow to get +2 to spells with air, earth, fire, or water descriptor (depending on which type of genie you select)

Also, there is Elemental Savant PrC (but 3.0 version was better)

EDIT:
    Finally, if you want to play Sorcerer, Dragon #330 have "Spheres" variant rule: Sorcerers got +1 CL for "their sphere", but -2 CL for "opposite sphere"
    Example spheres doesn't include "Cold" or "Lightning", but have "Fire" and "Acid" - for which [Cold] and [Electricity] descriptors are opposite; thus, you may just flip them backward, and fluff it as ancestry of Blue Dragons ("Lightning") or Frost Giants ("Cold")
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2017-01-31 at 12:45 PM.