New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Would batman use bloodbending?

I am indeed on a bender kick. If batman could use bloodbending, would he do it, or would it be too close to taboo for him (he doesn't use guns for example)?
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Would batman use bloodbending?

I'm sure he'd be against it initially, just on principle. I'm equally sure he'd be pushed to the point of using the technique, the same way he's been pushed to pull a gun on someone a few times. Of course, shooting someone in the head is, for the most part, going to kill them. Bloodbending isn't necessarily fatal, and is a really effective way to restrain someone, so it might take less for him to use it than it would be for him to grab a gun.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

3. - Top - End - #3

RogueGuy

OH yeah, in a heartbeat. He doesn't care about the way he stops crime. Just that he stops it. He routinely uses tactics and abilities that cause major bodily harm. Although to be fair, I don't think he would use it for the same reason he doesn't use magic. I don't know exactly where I heard this, but I remember somehow that Batman doesn't use magic because it is unreliable or something. I think he would be the Sokka variety by choice.
    Last edited by Kyberwulf; 2017-02-01 at 09:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say that the existence of bending changes the context a great deal, but... well, this is superhero comics we're talking about. Batman wouldn't even blink at bending. That being said, you need to be born with bending, and Bruce Wayne who grew up being able to do that would be an entirely different person.

Also, unless we're talking about overpowered plot devices from sequels, bloodbending is very limited in when it can be used.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #5

RogueGuy

If it's a different person then Batman would be, why are you asking if he would use it. Of course he wouldn't blink at bending. An analog exist in the DC universe. Magic. It exists, and he doesn't blink at it, and doesn't really use it. I think if he could use it, he wouldn't because as you say. Bloodbending is to inconsistent. He might firebend, or earthbend or one of the ones that aren't inconstant. What matters to Batman or two things. Will it kill someone, and does it work.

6. - Top - End - #6

Beholder

Of course he would. Batman is a very ends justify the means type of guy. One of my favorite Batman moments is from one of the DC animated movies. The League is fighting on Apocalypse and he sneaks off and does his own thing. The League gets thrashed and Darkseid is effortlessly kicking the crap out of Bats when he causually informs him while being savaged he's armed his stockpile of doomsday weapons. Batman beat a godlike being because he was willing to blow up a planet with himself and his best buds on it.

Some versions of him anyway depends on the comic/show/movie and more importantly the writers.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I never got the whole blood bending is eeeeeeeevilllll thing the show had going on. How is "I stopped them by taking control of their bodies and forcing them to surrender" more evil than "I stopped them by crushing them with giant rocks?"

Blood bending is a tool that relies on the morality of the user just like any other type of bending. I think Batman wouldn't hesitate to use it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Batman doesn't just not use guns because they're icky. He doesn't use guns because his philosophy is that he does not have the right to decide who lives and who dies. That is what he believes separates him from the criminals that he fights. Bloodbending can be used to take people in without bodily harm, making it perfect for Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Batman doesn't just not use guns because they're icky. He doesn't use guns because his philosophy is that he does not have the right to decide who lives and who dies. That is what he believes separates him from the criminals that he fights. Bloodbending can be used to take people in without bodily harm, making it perfect for Batman.
    I'm not sure whether it doesn't cause bodily harm. At the least it does look pretty painful.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I'm not sure whether it doesn't cause bodily harm. At the least it does look pretty painful.
    We have plenty of in-universe examples where people got bloodbent, and were fine enough to fight at peak strength right afterwards. It might cause pain, but certainly not harm.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #11

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

No, he wouldn't, because logically a Batman in a Bending capable setting would not be capable of Bending.

Several of his villains would be Bloodbenders, though.
    Last edited by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins; 2017-02-02 at 01:13 PM.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    No, he wouldn't, because logically a Batman in a Bending capable setting would not be capable of Bending.

Several of his villains would be Bloodbenders, though.
    Having no superpowers is not a defining character trait for a Batman. Plenty of the alternate Batmen had powers, and Batman himself has gained powers more than once.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

If he could be sure he wouldn't kill people with it, then sure, in a heartbeat. Batman doesn't kill, but everything else? Fair game, right up to putting someone in a wheelchair (admittedly, he needs to be very pissed off to go that far.)