New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default [M&M / DCA] Easiest way to explain "Dynamic Alternate Effect"

How would be the simplest way to explain the concept of DAE to my group of starting players? I'm a starting gm myself on this system. Tell me if I got a grip of it.

I was thinking along the lines of:
    "it's similar to regular alternate effects. But in AE, you either use the full power in say, way A or way B. In DAE, you would be able to split the total ranks between ways A and B."

"Example:
    You super armored hero can focus its engines on either its laser (blast 10) or the jetpack (flight 5). That's an AE. If setup as DAE, he'd be able to fly at a slower pace while shooting slightly less powerful lasers, but simultaneously. "

Especially on the ranks division thing, I'd like some input.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M / DCA] Easiest way to explain "Dynamic Alternate Effect"

I think of it as "you have a limited pool of energy that you can re-allocate on a round-to-round basis." So Round 1 you might divert 100% of your power to thrusters, then on round two you siphon 50% to your main laser battery and 30% to shields.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Seems okay with powers that have the same cost. I wonder how it would go with powers that, for example, have the same cost but one is ranked at 10 and the other at say, 7. How would the power split work between them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Lipe82 View Post
    Seems okay with powers that have the same cost. I wonder how it would go with powers that, for example, have the same cost but one is ranked at 10 and the other at say, 7. How would the power split work between them.
    Its applied in full ranks until neither power can have any extra ranks based on the points left. It is entirely possible to have loose points in a dynamic array.

So that rank 7 power might only get say 3 ranks, and the rank 10 might end up with 6 of its available max.