New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bards ?

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Bards ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The problem with the way D&D does it is that most songs are way too long. How many songs do you know that can be played in six seconds. Even for jingles that's pushing it.
    This is a very good point. My vague counter-example is the rush of excitement in a wrestling crowd when the iconic first note/sound of a big star's theme music hitting. I can make some pretty convincing arguments for bardic music-magic, but it's all slowtime magic compared to combat rounds.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know what's messed up? The spell that conjures up purple rain (Evil Weather, Corrupt 8, BOVD pg 94) isn't a bard spell.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #63

It's not technically bard, but slightly related.

Dragoon in Final Fantasy XIV MMO have a skill called battle litany, it increases critical hit rate for the whole party.

So I put a macro whenever mt use that skill. "Chanting Battle Litany: We will, we will rock you...!"

I just thought that's exactly what a battle litany would be
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    The implication with the Lancre Morris Men is that they "render the elves incapable of fighting back" by bludgeoning their brains out with the sticks they use in their Morris dance, which is a bit closer to a martial art the way it's performed on the Disk.
    Sorry, but the Elves are mesmerised by their dancing, which is how the Morris men are able to bludgeon them to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post
    The Eddie Valiant and the weasels thing is heavily mystical (the vulnerability of toons to certain things), combined with a hidden, somewhat mystical, ability of Eddie (he really did have a Sense of Humor).
    I wouldn't say a sense of humour's mystical - Eddie just stopped using his after his brother died at the hands of a toon.

I guess another thing to consider is that some bards might be able to do something with natural skill, while others might need mystical help to produce the same effect - the technological version would be where some singers can absolutely captivate an audience with just their voice, while which ever talentless no-hoper that normally couldn't carry a tune in a bucket that Simon Cowell picks to have their name on the Christmas number one album, and who'll vanish roughly five weeks later, gets autotuned to the nth degree .

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by johnbragg View Post
    This is a very good point. My vague counter-example is the rush of excitement in a wrestling crowd when the iconic first note/sound of a big star's theme music hitting. I can make some pretty convincing arguments for bardic music-magic, but it's all slowtime magic compared to combat rounds.
    Lol...it's a bard that only knows the first three notes of "Master of Puppets", and just plays that over and over as his combat "song". But it totally pumps everyone up.

DUN dun dun DUUUUN.

6. - Top - End - #66

DrowGuy

In one of my stories, I had a combat artist - she drew with a stylus, then her artwork came to life and she controlled in telepathically. That is, until she multiclassed into soulknife...

I also had the classic sing-and-stab guy with a keytar-sword; he also multiclassed, but used his primary ability more than the other.

They were also siblings...
    Last edited by JBPuffin; 2017-02-16 at 11:32 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Storm_Of_Snow View Post
    I wouldn't say a sense of humour's mystical - Eddie just stopped using his after his brother died at the hands of a toon.
    In the context of the milieu of the movie, it pretty much is. Otherwise everyone would be an R.K. Maroon, and Roger wouldn't be so amazed at what Eddie is capable of when he lets his sense of humor loose.

Indeed, it even seems a tad mystical in the real world sometimes.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Traditionally, a bard was a kind of Celtic lore master and teacher, in a time where very few people outside of the nobility, could read. Knowledge was passed from generation to generation orally, and the best way to do this was either with a catchy tune, or a story in the from of an epic poem.

So, although it is traditional for a Bard to be able to play any musical instrument, they can also inspire through voice alone (never underestimate the power of a rousing speech before a battle).
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

9. - Top - End - #69

The problem with the way D&D does it is that most songs are way too long. How many songs do you know that can be played in six seconds. Even for jingles that's pushing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    "Insert God Name"'s + "Insert Offensive Body Part".
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    It is always ok to start in a tavern.
    as long as the tavern is ON FIRE.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well - it's still 4 seconds too long - though you could probably use a faster tempo (though it would require changing one word).

Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2017-02-18 at 12:35 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Did someone mention songs that are too long?

"Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Did someone mention songs that are too long?

So there's a Mandela Effect thing with that song. Look at the title of the video, and then listen to the song in the video. Notice: "Song that never ends" vs "Song that doesn't end." That's the big part that I think many people have. I, personally, also have other parts that I remember wrongly. As I (mis)remember it, it goes:

This is the song that never ends
    It just goes on and on my friends
    Some people started singing it not knowing what it was
    And they just kept on singing it forever just because
    (and then it loops)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    Well - it's still 4 seconds too long - though you could probably use a faster tempo (though it would require changing one word).
    that's still too long....

Last edited by Mutazoia; 2017-02-21 at 01:11 AM.

- L. Long

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Not a big fan of the concept, either. Magical music I can see a niche for, but music that is used in combat, often while the person is also fighting, not so much. Especially in WotC editions of D&D, they are far too lax on how many and what sort of things characters can do while they are supposedly engaged in combat and being threatened by deadly attacks.
    It works more realistically with non-instrument perform skills. I think the most realistic in combat would be (in descending order):

Dance (compare Capoeira)
    Buffoonery (compare Zui Quan)
    Chanting
    Oratory
    Human beatbox
    song

Or occasionally their guitar pick (Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny)

Or the score itself, unrelated to who's playing it (Read or Die, Tenacious D: Tribute, the Worldwide Recorder Concert episode of Southpark, and cthulhu mythos works relating to Hastur), which honestly makes the most sense out of all of these.
    or a belt (edit: warning: I forget whether this particular clip has coarse language or not, but it's from ATHF so it might). I forgot that one the first time.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-03-23 at 05:43 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

15. - Top - End - #75

If you look at some of the Renaissance artists, there's a few that would translate into Bards in D+D terms. Caravaggio in particular springs to mind. Maybe in combat he could be describing how epic his painting of this scene isgoing to be.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

You know what's messed up? The spell that conjures up purple rain (Evil Weather, Corrupt 8, BOVD pg 94) isn't a bard spell.
    You hear that sobbing?

This is what it sounds like when doves cry.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Personally, I rather like the idea of a bard jamming on a magical electric guitar to inspire his allies, but my rocker bards (as opposed to folk bards) are able to cause sonic explosions, deafen people, and, at 18th-level, outright cause people to bow down before you. And all the abilities are named after Rock songs.
    Where's what's-her-name, the chick with the pigtails?
    Jirix: Tsukiko? She was here when the sewer team reported in...
    Anyone seen her since?
    Jirix: No.
    No.
    Demon Roaches: No. Nope.
    Not since I brutally murdered her ten minutes ago, no.