Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,469 of 1469
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Confessions 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Indeed.

I'm not sure if it's possible to force mate from a starting position in any number of moves; I have a feeling that if both players make the optimum move in every situation the game ends in a draw by repetition. But human players are not generally capable of calculating so far ahead that that's a problem. Had BMH said he could checkmate anyone in, say, 30 moves, that would be preposterous, but at least it wouldn't be impossible.

The four-move mate is very well-known: so well-known, in fact, that no reasonably competent player will ever fall for it. It also leaves your pieces poorly developed and if you try it against someone who knows what they are doing, you will lose.

I have a feeling I have discussed this with BMH before but since he can't remember what April Fool he's tried on us from one year to the next I have little confidence that he remembers anything I may have said about Scholar's Mate. In any case, my advice is: due to the ineffectiveness of the Scholar's Mate against a reasonably competent or experienced player, attempting it in actual play is pretty much actively insulting to your opponent. There is almost no legitimate reason ever to use it.

(This is not, strictly, the case in some of the shorter mates which require active cooperation from the other player to pull off and are opportunistic rather than requiring a thunderingly obvious setup. For that very reason, though, they are hardly ever seen at all in reality and, again, no reasonably competent player will fall victim to them).

In fact the only time I can imagine the Scholar's Mate being a worthwhile endeavour is in very low level tournament or league play, where neither you nor your opponent is actually very good, and it is therefore a risk worth taking. Even then I would not recommend using it, because even if it works you will not develop your skills as a player.
    Or learn go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-04-11 at 02:16 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Sure... but I'm not really following how that relates.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    "Force" is a key word there. There are four and five move checkmates that work unless specifically blocked (which can be blocked in a lot of ways), and two and three move checkmates that work if your opponent leans into them heavily.
    By that definition it is impossible to "force" a mate at any point, since all mates could hypothetically be "blocked".
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

Sorry for any typos just forearm my wrist and am using voice to text on my phone.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    By that definition it is impossible to "force" a mate at any point, since all mates could hypothetically be "blocked".
    Over the course of an entire game, that is true, but from some positions it is possible to force mate. Indeed, the game would be unwinnable if it wasn't possible to do so. At its most straightforward this is accomplished by keeping the king in check and controlling the spaces around him so that he can only move to worse positions until eventually he is completely trapped - and your opponent can do nothing to stop it except resign.

As a very basic example, this sort of thing is pretty common (ignore the absence of the Black king!):

Black can force mate in three moves (Q8+, Rg5+, Qh8#), regardless of what moves White makes.

Much more fun is something like this:

1. Nf7+ Kg8 Black can't take the knight so his king must move to g8.
    2. Nh6+ Kh8 Black is now in check from both the queen and the knight. The king can't move to the f-file because of the rook on f1 so must move back into the corner.
    3. Qg8+ Rxg8 White's queen moves in and checks the king again. The king can't move and can't take the queen himself because she's covered by the knight. His rook moves over from a8 to take the queen and rescue him.
    4. Nf7# The white knight now completes the trap by putting the king in check again, but this time he has nowhere to move as he's blocked in by his own pieces.

These "smothered mates" are also quite well-known sequences but harder to spot in actual placy. I've only pulled it off once against an opponent and felt pretty pleased with myself.

But of course these are endgame situations, not openings.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2018-04-11 at 05:08 PM.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I'm guessing that you try to listen to broadcast radio on your commute as well.

Awful music, but still better than the "shock jocks".

*shudder*
    On the contrary - if I'm not listening to an audiobook, 95% of the time I'm supplying the music myself. Most of what I can find on broadcast radio is either songs I've heard a million times, or garbage.
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    On the contrary - if I'm not listening to an audiobook, 95% of the time I'm supplying the music myself. Most of what I can find on broadcast radio is either songs I've heard a million times, or garbage.

Nice.

The tapedeck in my car broke so I search, mostly in vain, for anything palatable that's broadcast.
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Quote Originally Posted by the secret fire View Post
    ..race of fantasy plumbers..
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice.

The tapedeck in my car broke so I search, mostly in vain, for anything palatable that's broadcast.
    I feel your pain. That happened in my previous car, which had a tapedeck instead of a CD player (I'm old enough to remember cassette tapes but not old enough to own any). I bought one of those tape adapters that plugs into a headphone jack and used my portable CD player for music (at first, anyway). That worked well enough most of the time, except that in cold weather the tapedeck would keep spitting out the tape every few seconds until the car was fully warmed up. I have no idea why this would be. One day I lost my temper and refused to let it spit the tape out. I held the tape in while it tried to spit it out, and ended up getting it permanently jammed in there.

I tried using short-range FM transmitters so play my CDs (and later my iPod) over the radio, but I found them to be overpriced and prone to breaking down very quickly. Eventually I gave up and resigned myself to being stuck with the radio until I could get a new car. Now I've had my current car for about 5 years, and to this day I'm grateful for the CD player.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Troll in the Playground

Surprisingly enough, I'm able to find a few gems on the radio from time to time. I've made many a commute to Metallica, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, and Led Zeppelin.

However, this isn't all the time. But it might also be that most of the music I prefer to listen to (which is primarily power metal) doesn't play a lot, or even at all on the radio. (At least on American radio, I hear it's more popular in Scandinavia)
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Surprisingly enough, I'm able to find a few gems on the radio from time to time. I've made many a commute to Metallica, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, and Led Zeppelin.

However, this isn't all the time. But it might also be that most of the music I prefer to listen to (which is primarily power metal) doesn't play a lot, or even at all on the radio. (At least on American radio, I hear it's more popular in Scandinavia)
    When I was living near Chicago, the classic rock stations there would almost never play Metallica or Priest, though they would play plenty of the other bands you mentioned. Unfortunately they also play a fairly hefty dose of the classic rock bands I don't like such as Pink Floyd, The Doors, and The Eagles. And anyway, one of those classic rock stations was recently converted into a Christian music station. The local alternative rock station mostly plays the sad and depressing modern stuff, though they'll sprinkle in the occasional good alt rock from the last few decades. There's a better rock/metal station based somewhere in far northern or southern Wisconsin, but their signal comes in a bit sporadically further south.

Out where I live now about 200 miles west, I haven't really investigated the radio stations much.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Troll in the Playground

Out where I live now about 200 miles west, I haven't really investigated the radio stations much.
    Probably because you don't live in the world of Fallout
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably because you don't live in the world of Fallout
    Yeah, that probably has something to do with it.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Troll in the Playground

Last night I had a dream that I was banned from every online account I have.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Are you serious?

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

Was it more like "oh no, I can't get in to any of my online accounts!" or "oh no, they've all banned me because they don't want me here!"

Do you think it's like a subconscious fear of yours, or just a bad dream?

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ettin in the Playground

just a bad dream?

Those bad dreams are awful!

I remember a horrible one about a UFO!

and another one about the H-bomb!

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I keep having duplicate email notifications when it comes to your name in this thread that you reply 2D8HP.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I keep having duplicate email notifications when it comes to your name in this thread that you reply 2D8HP.

A wizard did it.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Troll in the Playground

Was it more like "oh no, I can't get in to any of my online accounts!" or "oh no, they've all banned me because they don't want me here!"

Do you think it's like a subconscious fear of yours, or just a bad dream?
    It was more of the first one, and was perceived as more of an inconvenience than something fearful. Even in the dream world (Universe? Multiverse? Demiplane of Chaos, Desires, Fears, and Spicy Food?), and as irrational as it is, it was a moderate annoyance.

I don't think those were dreams. I think you might actually be living in Fallout (I've been saying that a lot recently) or a 1950s-80s B Movie

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ettin in the Playground

...I don't think those were dreams. I think you might actually be living in Fallout (I've been saying that a lot recently) or a 1950s-80s B Movie

You may well be right as:

Kiss Me Deadly

Them!

Repo Man

and

They Live

all fit.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I play original characters and characters from pop culture in D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder games.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I play original characters and characters from pop culture in D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder games.
    My brother is currently playing a 5e Human Ranger who is essentially the Green Arrow

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ettin in the Playground

My brother is currently playing a 5e Human Ranger who is essentially the Green Arrow

Not Hawkeye?

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Green Elf and Green Arrow fits perfectly.
    Not Hawkeye?
    It's his character. He can play anybody he wants to play.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Troll in the Playground

Not Hawkeye?
    No, that's his least favorite character from the MCU. Besides, it all started from the interest in the vigilante background.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

No, that's his least favorite character from the MCU. Besides, it all started from the interest in the vigilante background.
    You're making Hawkeye sad.
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    You're making Hawkeye sad.
    It's still the same basic character only with a few differences in archery weaponry.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My confession, a couple of weeks ago I had a dream so disgusting that when I woke up I washed my hands in real life and I was completely aware it was a dream.
    My extended signature

Looking to play a High OP 3.5 game. If you are looking for players just send a message.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

My confession is that I write stories for fun.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Troll in the Playground

I want OotS to go back to being a webcomic about D&D in-jokes. I don't like how much the multiple plotlines, increasing seriousness of characters, and social commentary affected the comic.