New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Confessions Strike Back

Confession:

I hated the Ewoks as well.

In fact while I loved Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back, I didn't like The Return of the Jedi, and thought it was a sorry way to end the series.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

Confession:

In fact while I loved Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back, I didn't like The Return of the Jedi, and thought it was a sorry way to end the series.
    I hope we can still be friends after this, but

I liked Return of the Jedi
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Confession:

It not the end of the series we still have Episode 7 and the upcoming movie Episods 8 and 9.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Confessions 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    I hope we can still be friends after this, but

I liked Return of the Jedi

That's cool.

I didn't like Beyond Thunderdome as much as Road Warrior either (but I may be the only audience member who actually liked Conan the Destroyer).

I think I just have a problem with the third movie in a series (except for Goldfinger which I liked better than both Dr. No, and From Russia with Love).

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It not the end of the series we still have Episode 7 and the upcoming movie Episods 8 and 9.

That's a common misconception, but in fact they were no other Star Wars movie's after Jedi, "prequels" were never made, just as there has been no pop music recorded after 1992 (I don't remember any!). A Star Trek series with a Captain Archer called "Enterprise"? Never happened. And WotC 3e, 3.5, and 4e D&D? Urban myths, all of them.

Just so were clear.

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

(but I may be the only audience member who actually liked Conan the Destroyer).
    Ah, I remember that movie. The first problem is that it is a PG CONAN MOVIE.

But I thought the movie was funny, as it reminds me of D&D campaigns that my friends have made.

They aren't that good
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

furious Re: Confessions 2: Electric Boogaloo.

That's cool.

I didn't like Beyond Thunderdome as much as Road Warrior either...
    I don't think anyone did, did they?

I'm trying to think of any exception to the rule that the third instalment in a trilogy is the weakest of the three. It's obviously complicated by the way that some trilogies even with disappointing third instalments later turn out fourth entries which, compared to the third entry, can be better (Jurassic World, Fury Road) or worse (Terminator: Salvation, Live Free or Die Hard). But viewing such cases as the first three films only...

It's not a popular view, but I think Back to the Future III is marginally better than II. An argument can be made that ... with a Vengeance is better than Die Harder. And all three Lord of the Rings films are very strong to the point it's almost impossible to pick which is the weakest, though I must admit if pushed, I'd probably say The Return of the King was it - the eleven Oscars and the charge of the Rohirrim notwithstanding. None of those examples are clear-cut, and they're the only ones I could think of among film series that were any good at all.

If I were to cheat, and take the first three Bond films as a trilogy, then I would say they increase in quality, with the third (Goldfinger) being the best of the lot. And in fact I'd say that holds true for the rebooted Bond as well (Skyfall being the standout). But that is cheating, since in neither case were those film series ever really a trilogy.

At the other end of the scale I have heard that Transformers: Dark of the Moon was a marginal improvement over Transformers 2. Considering that Transformers2 was at the time I saw it comfortably the worst Hollywood film I'd ever seen, that is not a high bar to clear. But having never subjected myself to Dark of the Moon I can't know for certain whether it was indeed any better or any worse.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's a common misconception, but in fact they were no other Star Wars movie's after Jedi, "prequels" were never made, just as there has been no pop music recorded after 1992 (I don't remember any!). A Star Trek series with a Captain Archer called "Enterprise"? Never happened. And WotC 3e, 3.5, and 4e D&D? Urban myths, all of them.

Just so were clear.

As I recall, there were no Matrix sequels, either.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I'm trying to think of any exception to the rule that the third instalment in a trilogy is the weakest of the three.
    How about the prequels? IMO, the third was the best one, but even if someone disagrees, I think it's a safe bet that it isn't the weakest.

But even if we say they don't exist, there's still the original Indiana Jones trilogy, where I will claim until the day I die the weakest link is Temple of Doom.
    Last edited by Strigon; 2017-02-26 at 06:48 PM.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    But even if we say they don't exist, there's still the original Indiana Jones trilogy, where I will claim until the day I die the weakest link is Temple of Doom.
    What about Kingdom of the C*****l S***l?

Aw crap, the government censored me again.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Crystal Skull. I reveal it for you.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Crystal Skull. I reveal it for you.
    Oh crap, he said the CS words!

Say hello to the FBI in 3...2...1...

Oh, they didn't co-

Aw man.

11. - Top - End - #191

the original trilogy
    Emphasis mine, as they say
    Of course Crystal Skull is the worst, but then it's hardly a trilogy, is it?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

As I recall, there were no Matrix sequels, either.

Edit:

How about the prequels? IMO, the third was the best one, but even if someone disagrees, I think it's a safe bet that it isn't the weakest.

Indy is another debatable one, yeah. It's been a while since I saw any of them but I think I'd probably favour Temple of Doom over The Last Crusade, but it's a close call.

If treating the prequels as a standalone trilogy, then Revenge of the Sith is definitely the least terrible, yes. In fact I'd make the argument that, especially once you moderate for the terrible dialogue and other weak features common to pretty much all Star Wars films, it actually reaches the heady heights of "ok". Unlike its predecessors. I'm not sure to what extent they really can be considered a standalone trilogy, though; that's a tough question not worth the brainpower it would take to answer.

That's the fourth one, and therefore doesn't count as part of the original trilogy.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2017-02-26 at 09:14 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #193

If treating the prequels as a standalone trilogy, then Revenge of the Sith is definitely the least terrible, yes. In fact I'd make the argument that, especially once you moderate for the terrible dialogue and other weak features common to pretty much all Star Wars films, it actually reaches the heady heights of "ok". Unlike its predecessors.
    See, I've been blessed with a truly wondrous gift that allows me to more or less base a movie off how I felt about its greatest moment. So for me, the prequels weren't all that bad. I mean, The Phantom Menace was rough; not even I could let its best scene persuade me into liking that movie. But, if I let go of my natural disdain for them as a Star Wars fan, I can comfortably watch Attack of the Clones and even enjoy Revenge of the Sith!

Unfortunately, letting go of my attachment to the name Star Wars is rough for me. I've been very rough on the new canon any time it differed from Legends, even though that was literally the whole point of switching. I'm too attached to my now non-canon books and games to allow the heresy Disney is spewing forth to go unchallenged.
    But that's all I'm going to say about that, because any more would inevitably turn into a tirade.

14. - Top - End - #194

If someone gets annoyed by or isn't interested in a subject, I tend to not talk about it with anyone else afterward, sort of just assuming they'll react the same way.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

I am ingaged in Moral Kombat with my idiot friend over Amway. And I suspect my advice may have made him their prey. I really don't know what to do. It's a pyramid scheme, but me telling him to try and start his own business probably led him to their doorstep. I want to tell him, but I feel responsible.
    Last edited by Avianmosquito; 2017-02-27 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Adding on.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
    I am ingaged in Moral Kombat with my idiot friend over Amway. And I suspect my advice may have made him their prey. I really don't know what to do. It's a pyramid scheme, but me telling him to try and start his own business probably led him to their doorstep. I want to tell him, but I feel responsible.
    I feel like I've told the following, but anyway: when I was overseas, I went into a KFC (they're there) and got my whatever. I happened to sit down not to far from an Amway meeting. "Cultish" would be the closest word I can think of the describe their salesperson meeting. I don't know if they were in recruiting phase or if it was a touch base thing, but between the vibe and the actual things being said, I was intensely glad that my spouse had gotten out of that racket.

Assuming your friend doesn't get out you will most certainly need to make a formal declaration, "do not ever talk to me about Amway. Ever." and then also a choice about whether you will continue or terminate your association with your friend when they keep bringing it up anyway. The hell of it was that in China their products are actually pretty good compared with standard local fare; in the US, not so much.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
    Why are you even friends with him anyway?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Indy is another debatable one, yeah. It's been a while since I saw any of them but I think I'd probably favour Temple of Doom over The Last Crusade, but it's a close call.
    My mom firmly believes that Spielberg should have stopped after Raiders.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

My mom firmly believes that Spielberg should have stopped after Raiders.
    Should?

Well at least George Lucas did some good Television episodes of

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

I thought that some of the Great War episodes were particularly good.

It's too bad that no more Indiana Jones or Star Wars feature films were made, but maybe its for the best, in case they had been made and were disappointing.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Should?

Well at least George Lucas did some good Television episodes of

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

I thought that some of the Great War episodes were particularly good.

It's too bad that no more Indiana Jones or Star Wars feature films were made, but maybe its for the best, in case they had been made and were disappointing.
    I didn't know that this existed. I better tell my mom that there is more than just one set of three movies.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't know that this existed. I better tell my mom that there is more than just one set of three movies.

*Fingers in ears*

La-la-la-la, no Indiana movies after Raiders!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

*Fingers in ears*

La-la-la-la, no Indiana movies after Raiders!
    What have I done? This is at least the fourth time I started something.

I should start calling these moments, The 8BitNinja Crusades.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

I know that Temple of Doom and Last Crusade weren't as good as Raiders, but denying their existence seems extreme even by disappointing-series-instalment-ignoring standards.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I know that Temple of Doom and Last Crusade weren't as good as Raiders, but denying their existence seems extreme even by disappointing-series-instalment-ignoring standards.
    Confession: I like all Indiana Jones movies.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-02-27 at 09:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Like I said, it wasn't me who said it, it was my mom.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm the most smartest member in this forum.

27. - Top - End - #207

Doh........
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

That's not really a confession so much as a boast.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's not really a confession so much as a boast.
    It is? OK how about this confession: I'm arrogant.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-02-28 at 11:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

My biggest fear on the internet is that someone will mistake me for a child.