New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Flumph

Default Double posting in a campaign journal?

I'd like to post a journal of a campaign I've been running. I'd like to separate each session into its own post, including the three I've already run. Would this be acceptable double posting, or do I need to keep them in one post and use spoiler tags to organise them?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Double posting in a campaign journal?

Quote Originally Posted by Studoku View Post
    I'd like to post a journal of a campaign I've been running. I'd like to separate each session into its own post, including the three I've already run. Would this be acceptable double posting, or do I need to keep them in one post and use spoiler tags to organise them?
    I'm not a mod, but I think it will be safer if you update the one post. My concern is not so much the double posting as much as that if there isn't anyone commenting on your thread, it will feel like you are bumping it every time you post a new session. In fact, if you are NOT expecting comments, it might be best to find a different place to post the campaign journal - a blog of some description, maybe?

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Studoku View Post
    Seconding what the Wolf said. Updating the OP is the best way to go about this. Double posting isn't horribly against the rules, but excessive posting is considered spam.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'm not a mod, but I think it will be safer if you update the one post. My concern is not so much the double posting as much as that if there isn't anyone commenting on your thread, it will feel like you are bumping it every time you post a new session. In fact, if you are NOT expecting comments, it might be best to find a different place to post the campaign journal - a blog of some description, maybe?

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Seconding what the Wolf said. Updating the OP is the best way to go about this. Double posting isn't horribly against the rules, but excessive posting is considered spam.
    All that being said, there is more than one precedent for this sort of thing. Both those threads do have others chiming in occasionally, but they are mostly one user posting continual updates for informative purposes, which sounds like what is currently being proposed as well. I'm interested in what the voice of mod says.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-02-03 at 12:24 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    All that being said, there is more than one precedent for this sort of thing. Both those threads do have others chiming in occasionally, but they are mostly one user posting continual updates for informative purposes, which sounds like what is currently being proposed as well. I'm interested in what the voice of mod says.
    Agreed that a Red voice is needed. I'm not sure I'd claim those particular threads as precedent, though - I feel there is a difference between comic-support threads (falling under the curated thread rules umbrella) and campaign logs.

Speaking of precedent, I know that this has come up before (i.e. someone asking in this subforum if creating a campaign log is allowed), but my search-fu has failed me.

Edit: Found it. Most relevant bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide
    If you keep adding commentary, however, and each week no one responds, you need to ask yourself if anyone is actually interested. If you're writing up a summary of your game session, this may be appropriate as responses may not be called for, but if you're talking about a TV series, then it may be that no one else frequenting the forum watches it.
    So, pending actual moderator, it seems it might be OK.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-02-03 at 12:51 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've found multiple instances of campaign journals starting off with multiple posts by the person doing the journal and/or having back-to-back posts within the thread later. That doesn't necessarily make it ok, but it does make it more likely that it's acceptable since it seemed to be fairly common among the ones I found when I searched the "journal" prefix within Roleplaying Games. (Sometimes it's done later on just because sessions are too long to fit into one post.)

Example threads:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...al-D-amp-D-3-P
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...l-Player-s-POV
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...mpaign-Journal

Speaking as someone who reads these threads (and who is not a mod), it makes sense to me to put each session in its own post, possibly even with a separate post at the top with setting and character info and links to all of the later session posts. That makes it easier for readers to navigate later.

If you find that you aren't getting any comments or much in the way of views and it's just you posting after a while (which does happen sometimes), then it might make sense to move it to a blog instead after you've been the only poster for a while. Some journals catch on and some don't.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Sheriff: This is the preferred course of action. That said, as some of the linked examples above indicate, this is the kind of thing that tends to go unreported, so it does happen, and an occasional double post may not be a problem in something like a PbP, campaign journal, comic thread, etc, especially if it's because of the length of the text requires two or most posts. But if it's just one person posting with no responses, in any context, that might be content better placed elsewhere than our discussion forums.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2017-02-03 at 08:12 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex