New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Courtier School selection help

Guys what kind of Courtier (and why) can compliment the following L5R 4E party:

Toku Bushi
    Hida Bushi
    Kuni Shugenja
    Yogo Wardmaster
    Akodo Bushi (not confirmed yet)

No Spider allowed.
    Avatar courtesy of the Awesome & Talented Ceika.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Courtier School selection help

Quote Originally Posted by Nheko View Post
    No Spider allowed.
    As it should be.

Frankly, any courtier will do.
    If what you need is someone with social skills, all courtiers should be proficient in all the important ones, and which other skills are considered important depends on the game you will be playing.

Considering the rather militant and anti-social nature of your party (a Hida, a Kuni and a Yogo), you might want one that works well with such folks. Having another Crab in the mix will mean you have one who already knows the tendencies and weaknesses of their clan and how to smooth things over when they mess up. Having a Crane there means automatic respectability and status that no other Clans can match, which may be useful to offset the rest of the party. Scorpion courtiers don't play fair, which could lead to trouble with anyone but the Yogo if found out, but can also be very useful. Phoenix courtiers tend to be skilled in a wide variety of Lore skills, which may prove useful. A Lion courtier is probably more suited to taking charge of the group and keeping unruly elements in line, and they are good entertainment on the road. Unicorn courtiers are almost universally liked, even by those who don't like Unicorns, and can make friends easily with everyone, high and low alike, based on personality and skill alone without the need for gifts or favors or trade. Mantis courtiers are good at getting their way fast, but can engender resentment if not given the chance to cement their position. Dragon courtiers are great if you are going to be doing a lot of investigating. MC courtiers are minor. I would suggest avoiding Dragonfly and Tortoise if you have a Lion in the group, but other than that it doesn't matter.

Most importantly, whatever clan and school you choose, make sure it works with the group. Even Lion can be gregarious and charming if you decide you want to play the one exception to rule.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks! I decided to give the Ikoma Bard a chance it seems quite fun.
    Avatar courtesy of the Awesome & Talented Ceika.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Completely unrelated thought that amused me:

A game where EVERYONE is secretly Spider Clan, and none of the other players know it. Like, this ad hoc group of samurai gets thrown together, and they coincidentally are all deep cover Spider agents.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Completely unrelated thought that amused me:

A game where EVERYONE is secretly Spider Clan, and none of the other players know it. Like, this ad hoc group of samurai gets thrown together, and they coincidentally are all deep cover Spider agents.
    Now why does that make me think of this (ignoring for a moment that there is no such thing as the Spider Clan)?

Edit: and apparently my girlfriend played in one game where all but one of the Crane characters were actually undercover Scorpion.
    Last edited by BWR; 2017-02-08 at 04:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Now why does that make me think of this (ignoring for a moment that there is no such thing as the Spider Clan)?

Edit: and apparently my girlfriend played in one game where all but one of the Crane characters were actually undercover Scorpion.
    Heh. I had apparently thought of things like this before... a Marvel game where the players slowly realized they were deep-cover Skrulls.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.